Will Condi ever be viable ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Just wondering if condi will ever be viable , atm it is way behind power/crit builds except in certain situations like killing husks etc . The thing is i cannot see a simple solution besides removing the stack cap , Having 3 or more condi damage dealers is a waste of time in a group situation because of this . Anyone have any ideas ?

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s “viable” now. If you’re asking if it’s ever going to compete with direct damage builds, the answer is: maybe. It looks like they will be changing the condi stack mechanics, changing some condi related traits and mechanics, and introducing new foe types. Whether that ultimately changes the math enough to put condi ahead of direct damage will depend on the specifics and how the community absorbs those changes.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

I really hope so. Right now we have around 50 skills, spread across all professions, that remove conditions. It’s pretty easy to get rid of them. Conditions themselves aren’t really seen as a threat because, in my opinion, they don’t deal enough damage and they can easily be cleansed. I think the only exception to this would be Burns from Guard spikers and D Ele’s.

Conditions should either be stronger and able to be cleansed, or have weaker conditions that are harder to remove. Having weak damage-dealing conditions that are easily cleanse-able are useless.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

(edited by piano man.1672)

Decrypter.1785

It’s “viable” now. If you’re asking if it’s ever going to compete with direct damage builds, the answer is: maybe. It looks like they will be changing the condi stack mechanics, changing some condi related traits and mechanics, and introducing new foe types. Whether that ultimately changes the math enough to put condi ahead of direct damage will depend on the specifics and how the community absorbs those changes.

I think it,s only viable for solo play , and very situational in group play . Do you have a link i can see where they said theyre chnging the stacks etc ?

Decrypter.1785

I really hope so. Right now we have around 50 skills, spread across all professions, that remove conditions. It’s pretty easy to get rid of them. Conditions themselves aren’t really seen as a threat because, in my opinion, they don’t deal enough damage and they can easily be cleansed. I think the only exception to this would be Burns from Guard spikers and D Ele’s.

Conditions should either be stronger and able to be cleansed, or have weaker conditions that are harder to remove. Having weak damage-dealing conditions that are easily cleanse-able are useless.

Conditions are very strong in pvp period , they need nerfing , pve however they’re very weak in group play mechanics

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I think it,s only viable for solo play , and very situational in group play . Do you have a link i can see where they said theyre chnging the stacks etc ?

Well I don’t think there is anywhere where they have said that… But there is a thread about the first Beta test where Anet said that they where testing their new “no cap to bleeding” and there are screenshot and videos out there from this beta where it is evidence to bleeding scaling higher than 25. Also during the Dragon Hunter twitch they announced a change to fire damage and you could notice a stack of 2 fire damage on an enemy. They have also said that they are dong changes to conditions in the latest twitch of The Reaper if I remember correctly.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Poison and burning are confirmed to be raised to 25 to be in line with the other damage related conditions. Rumour floating around about removing the bleed cap. The main thing limiting conditions in group play is:
1) Easy access to condis that can overwrite your long duration ones. (Mesmer hits a bunch of crits on wardens that will wipe out any 18sec bleeds done by an engi) which can be fixed by changing the cap
2) Conditions take the condition damage stat from the most recent person to inflict a condition type. (Engineer inflicts 1minute of burning, zerk ele taps it once with a dragon’s tooth, takes the ele’s probably 0 condition damage and the engineer now just has mostly wasted skills, relative to having instead chosen a power build and ignoring condition stacking as a primary damage source)

Posted by: DarkMonk.4531

DarkMonk.4531

Condies ARE viable now, but mostly for solo play, as any other condie will “fight” with you for condie space. But incoming Expansion will adress this matter by doing something with the Caps and conditions themselves. Would it be personal caps or no cap? Only time will tell, but Condie builds will finnaly be Viable in Mass play. But will condies be on par with power damage? No. They are playing on different fields and this is by design. Condies do damage overtime so they by definition can not burst as power damage works, but condies bring utility with their overtime damage. Like Poison that halts healing or Chill that puts enemies in Slow motion. Will Condie become a viable part of Dungeon Meta? I, again, think not. Unless the dungeons themselves would be reworked, the speedrunning meta will persist to be melting enemies down with bursty damage while dishing as much non-stat related support as possible. But at the very least non-meta and non-speedrunning groups will get an option to bring condies as they will not be a liability and be able to fight at full strength.

(edited by DarkMonk.4531)

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I’m still waiting for active condition damage and boon hate mobs.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Just wondering if condi will ever be viable , atm it is way behind power/crit builds except in certain situations like killing husks etc . The thing is i cannot see a simple solution besides removing the stack cap , Having 3 or more condi damage dealers is a waste of time in a group situation because of this . Anyone have any ideas ?

it is viable for some content.
Take silverwastes, the Slingers and other big enemies usually have “thick bark”, so they are much harder to take down with direct damage. Conditions on the other hand do the same amount of damage regardless of their armor.
Some other content, like previous living stories also had certain bosses that was nearly or totally unkillable without conditions.

My advice would be to have a Sinister or celestial trinket set ready. While neither is going to provide the best solution, they can be paired with either direct damage or condition armor to provide the best balance between offensive direct damage and condition damage. Celestial also has the benefit of granting you a slight bonus to defense, which can come in handy in situations where you are being hit hard by many foes, such as a pack of silverwastes hounds attacking you from the back or sides.

If not willing to go for sinister or celestial trinkets, you can also focus on strong baseline conditions. Stacking lots of bleeds (10-15 stacks or more), or burning is examples of strong conditions that will deal notable damage, while not requiring too heavy investment.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

In general conditions have always been viable. Blind, cripple, chill, vulnerability and weakness are very strong conditions and are used very frequently. Only the damage causing conditions are partially in a bad position. They are not influenced by vulnerability and damage enhancing traits. We have so far no infos if this will change.

We already know that damage dealing conditions will stack in intensity in near future. This is a huge progress. Arenanet has also designed Husks with high resistance against direct damage. Imagine a dungeon 90% filled with Husks. It is easy for the devs to create more monsters with different tricks that favor condition-based playstyles even more.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m not sure people understand what “viable” means. I’ll admit some hybrid builds are viable, but no pure condi build is viable currently.

If by some miracle you could maintain 25 stacks of bleed, permanent burning, and poison and 3 stacks of torment then with 25 stacks of might you are doing a maximum of 6000 dps. That is HALF of what a power based build currently does. That is in no way “viable”. GW2 is easy enough that it is DOABLE, but it is NOT VIABLE.

Conditions need to first have the cap removed and then have their damage roughly doubled in PvE by some method to be “viable”.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’m not sure people understand what “viable” means. I’ll admit some hybrid builds are viable, but no pure condi build is viable currently.

If by some miracle you could maintain 25 stacks of bleed, permanent burning, and poison and 3 stacks of torment then with 25 stacks of might you are doing a maximum of 6000 dps. That is HALF of what a power based build currently does. That is in no way “viable”. GW2 is easy enough that it is DOABLE, but it is NOT VIABLE.

Conditions need to first have the cap removed and then have their damage roughly doubled in PvE by some method to be “viable”.

Viable means doable.

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

i have a guild mate who mentioned that torment from sw is so strong. then again she has never seen condi bombs from wvw yet. if condis from monsters are made effective like it was from a player, i can see alot of people crying foul.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

After the update condi builds seems to be viable against bosses, since you’ll have time to build up your damage, but against hoards of smaller mobs direct damage will still be king.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

vi·a·ble
?v??b(?)l/
adjective
capable of working successfully; feasible.

Condi builds are viable, but they’re far from optimal in PvE.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

People, please for the love of every deity I can name, look up wtf “viable” means.

Condi builds are viable. Even in group content. They are far from optimal. They are extremely slow when you are competing with other condi users. However they are still “capable of working successfully.”

As for supporting documentation…there is a sticky over in the HoT forum where they have screenies of bleed stacking greater than 25 during the stress test, and a red post confirming they are indeed playing with removing the stack cap for bleed and confusion. Additionally if you’ve watched the assorted twitch streams since then, it has been discussed a few times. We have since been told that they are looking at making burning and poison stack intensity as opposed to duration as they currently stand. .

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: OwikGall.1607

OwikGall.1607

I’m trying out a tank-condi sword ‘n board build. It gets me by, but I have to admit that condition damage alone is pretty underwhelming. That doesn’t mean it’s necessarily useless, just not as great as herpa-kitten mega damage builds. The main problem is the boss battles because most of the time the conditions get capped, at least the bleeding and vulnerability.

Poison is a rare site, and I don’t know why. It seems very viable, what with reducing heal effectiveness as well as dealing some damage overtime. I’m sure it would be very usable in PvP, but I don’t go there, so I don’t know how often it’s used.

The upcoming expansion did promise a buff to conditions, and I’m looking forward to that. It’s rumored the cap will be removed, but then again that was only in the beta. Either way Anet heard us, so all we have to do now is wait.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I’m trying out a tank-condi sword ‘n board build. It gets me by, but I have to admit that condition damage alone is pretty underwhelming. That doesn’t mean it’s necessarily useless, just not as great as herpa-kitten mega damage builds. The main problem is the boss battles because most of the time the conditions get capped, at least the bleeding and vulnerability.

Poison is a rare site, and I don’t know why. It seems very viable, what with reducing heal effectiveness as well as dealing some damage overtime. I’m sure it would be very usable in PvP, but I don’t go there, so I don’t know how often it’s used.

The upcoming expansion did promise a buff to conditions, and I’m looking forward to that. It’s rumored the cap will be removed, but then again that was only in the beta. Either way Anet heard us, so all we have to do now is wait.

Yes they said they are trying to remove the cap on conditions, but were did you get this promise of a buff from mate?
I would like to read that for myself from anet thank you ( source )

ZudetGambeous.9573

vi·a·ble
?v??b(?)l/
adjective

exactly. They are currently not viable. You instantly get kicked from any group if you reveal you are a condition spec. I can not successfully complete the content with condition builds.

Hopefully the upcoming changes make them viable so I can complete the content without being told i’m not wanted.

Linken.6345

vi·a·ble
?v??b(?)l/
adjective

exactly. They are currently not viable. You instantly get kicked from any group if you reveal you are a condition spec. I can not successfully complete the content with condition builds.

Hopefully the upcoming changes make them viable so I can complete the content without being told i’m not wanted.

yes they are viable havent had a single condi build kicked from any all welcome group yet. Dont try to join speedclear all zerker groups and your golden.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Perhaps a Thread Title change to, "Will Condi ever be comparable?

Then one or two things will happen:

1. Posters will discuss the topic
  2. The thread will tumble away into oblivion without the bumps from people showing how someone is wrong on the internet

For me, the question will very much depend on exactly what changes they make and in what context the question is framed in.

• Changes to stack numbers: how many players will be able to get the full benefit of their conditions in large scale events? It looks like some number between more than do now and everyone, meaning not everyone will benefit equally. Bear in mind that the change is going to increase the number of condi appliers because it’s supposedly better.
  • Changes to the way condi is applied: unsure at this point whether this is a thing, and if so, what it would be — but it would have a bearing on the effect of the changes.
  • Context: solo, small group play, large group play: I’d expect solo to be comparable to now, if not slightly better; small group play, I don’t expect to see much effect except that in laissez-faire groups, one should be able to have more than one applier without losing DPS. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that the ramp-up time issue is being addressed in small group play — probably because in small group WvW/PvP, condi ramp-up is not the problem it is in PvE. In large group — well, see above.

Cheers

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

If condition damage can stack with other places damage having a outside number to the left of the icon dictating how many condition users using that condition. The game will just have to increase bosses HP. WoW been doing it for years I hope it can take a similar direction. I favor condition damage more than physical on my warrior.

Of course for pvp overall damage both physical damage and condition should reduce by some % so it can balance due to stacks.

Pineapples

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

condi is effectively dot

Dot can be removed, direct damage can’t be.

Direct damage is usually always better, but it also can depend on the situation.

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

I know it can be removed, but I’m also talking about it stacking by various players. The way the system handles condition damage is when one player applies condition damage. It can overwrite that player’s dot damage if theirs is stronger instead just adding another players dot damage like they have in WoW.

Pineapples

Posted by: Shirou.4862

Shirou.4862

Imo, people are trying to give condition damage a role that turns out to not exist.
In pvp, fixing condition damage is a real hassle, some classes have easy time applying hardhitting/stacking conditions (mesmers, necros, engis), others have builds to become virtually immune to conditions (ele, war).

The thing is, I think Anet will work on making people realize that condi is not meant to work as a main source of dmg, as our stats will be adjusted due to the trait stat removal.
The +condition dmg on gear, Imo, should be reworked to work differently, perhaps as a modifier for the duration other than just a oddly-scaled damage increase.
(With perhaps for healing power for boon duration too, sorry Giver’s Gear, but if it’s not going to happen that way, you’re going to be useless anyway)
Right now, condition and healing power as stats don’t make sense to me.
Some classes like Engi and Ele recieve enourmous benefits from Celestial gear because that’s a lot of stats that they can use one way or another.
Mesmer’s Warlock on staff scales greatly with power (for all those who directly associate Mesmer’s Staff with condition builds), and Mesmer’s Scepter scales amazingly with power as well.
(Go try a zerk Mesmer with Staff and Scepter in pvp, much defense, tons of wreck)

As I saw an increase of “weakness” condition among the specialization teasers I suspect the same to happen with monsters. Anet will probably try to hinder players making exclusive use of zerk gear towards more balanced sets where stacking condition damage may be more useful than stacking ferocity.

Posted by: MindWipe.3028

MindWipe.3028

Condi is good for killing other players not killing pve monsters…..

OwikGall.1607

Yes they said they are trying to remove the cap on conditions, but were did you get this promise of a buff from mate?

That IS the buff. :P

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Condi is good for killing other players not killing pve monsters…..

I use it for such, i have no problems doing so, i even use my condition builds for dungeons. Surprisingly, it works rather well. it may take an extra second or two to kill but thats okay im having fun

Warrior, Necro, And my ranger all run condition builds

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

OwikGall.1607

condi is effectively dot

Dot can be removed, direct damage can’t be.

Direct damage is usually always better, but it also can depend on the situation.

It’s a Dot that can’t be reduced, unless there’s regen. Unlike direct damage which can be reduced by toughness. That’s what I like about condi damage.

Linken.6345

Clearly should have worded your post better bud, sounded like they were giving it a buff like encrease duration or damage and removing cap.

Posted by: Khalisto.5780

Khalisto.5780

run solo dungeons, condi is optimum if you do this

Love roaming builds and non meta silly builds.
Don’t worry boys, Blade and Soul is coming.

OwikGall.1607

Clearly should have worded your post better bud, sounded like they were giving it a buff like encrease duration or damage and removing cap.

Perhaps. My bad.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Short answer, NO.

Long answer, it never pays off to do something over time which is susceptible to changes in the environment vs doing something on demand, when they are both balanced to do the same amount of damage.

On demand will always trump over time, it happens in GW2 it happens in real life.

Conditions are ill conceived in this game, they should not be about damage, they should be about utility/buffing and debuffing. Condi builds should not be about trying to do the same damage stacking bleeds or what ever, they should be about trying to keep 100% up time freeze/weakness/poison or what ever on your opponent, the kind that alter the flow of the battle not the kind that runs Direct damage for DPS, but to do that you need a complete re design of the condis.

In summary condi build should be the inverse of what traditional RPGs call buffing/support(not meaning healing here). This was much more noticeable in GW1, but you had a much larger variety of skills there.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

(edited by Apolo.5942)

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

The HP sponge mobs are also part of the problem, but no conditions should never be on par with Crit builds(in the short term). Pve mobs don’t clear condis though, so over a longer period I think they will catch up a bit more after the stacking changes. Crit builds require full investment into three stats, utilities AND quite a bit of investments in offensive traits to get the production that we do out of them. Condis can simply invest in one stat (or maybe two for Precision Condi Builds, which also increases direct damage however small) and a small amount of utilities and traits in order to be effective. The rest can be thrown toward heavy defense making sure to stay alive while condis passively tick away (while in stealth, LoSd, dodging, etc). This is the balance the have to work around.

Also, in HUGE groups of players sharing damage taken, sharing boons, body blocking, using aoe/splash healing everywhere, etc, what exactly is the point of “I’m gonna do small amounts of damage over time!” other than just to be different at the cost of your allies? I have never understood this. Condis suck in group scenarios b/c it’s silly for a group of 20 players to stand around trying to ‘bleed out’ a boss…just kill the kitten thing already! Why did you bring a ‘Soloers’ build to a huge group fight anyway?

Tman.6349

And yes condis work very well outside of huge groups of players. This is their design and seems to have been the intention as well. And I’d you think condi takes a lot of skill or investment or is high risk/reward, just hop over to the PvP forums and ask how they’d feel about the broken Dire stat being added.

Tman.6349

There’s probably a good reason it’s still not been implemented into PvP in the last two years.

Tman.6349

Asking for balance changes based on what’s accepted in the Dungeon Meta is never gonna be a good starting point.

Dante.1763

Tman, at this point you are talking to yourself, we get it, really. xD

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

ZudetGambeous.9573

People have very odd ideas of balance. Somehow it is “balanced” if 3 direct damage players burst you down in 2s, but if 3 condition damage players put 50 stacks of bleed on you that is completely “unbalanced”… logic…

Or the “logic” that you need to scale up bosses HP if you have unlimited stacks of bleed… 10 direct damage players can kill the boss in 20s, but if 10 condition damage players could do that… well we better increase their HP…

Then there is this idea that conditions aren’t meant for dungeon PvE or "meta’ PvE… yet nearly every other MMO currently being played doesn’t seem to follow this “rule” and in fact have long term condition dps as being the highest dps in the game, but worse for burst.

Tman.6349

Sorry typing from a tablet. Complete with terrible spell check that completely changes words and an inability to ‘reply’ to or edit posts. My most sincere apologies sir.

Dante.1763

Sorry typing from a tablet. Complete with terrible spell check that completely changes words and an inability to ‘reply’ to or edit posts. My most sincere apologies sir.

Ew that doesnt seem much fun if you cant edit stuff! Had no idea, my apologies to you! and its a, Miss. If you would please

@Zudet, i agree very much so with your statements.

Posted by: ZeroStrifeX.2183

ZeroStrifeX.2183

People have very odd ideas of balance. Somehow it is “balanced” if 3 direct damage players burst you down in 2s, but if 3 condition damage players put 50 stacks of bleed on you that is completely “unbalanced”… logic…

Or the “logic” that you need to scale up bosses HP if you have unlimited stacks of bleed… 10 direct damage players can kill the boss in 20s, but if 10 condition damage players could do that… well we better increase their HP…

Then there is this idea that conditions aren’t meant for dungeon PvE or "meta’ PvE… yet nearly every other MMO currently being played doesn’t seem to follow this “rule” and in fact have long term condition dps as being the highest dps in the game, but worse for burst.

^This. Well, I’m a fairly new player. Though this is the impression i received whenever I read the forum about how people call for nerf for condition, afraid that the removal of conditions (bleed, etc) cap, will be too OP, and needs to be nerfed, etc… >.>…

I mean seriously? resistance to change is one issue. But restricting the game for personal agenda is another x.×... Gosh. The cap is something that should not exist in the first place, for whether PVE or PVP. Lower damage than direct (not affected by vulnerability, and crit stats), yes. Since there’s a fair trade-off of ignore defense, and possibly getting cleanse. However, resisting the change of it being OP when removing the cap is just dumb. Imagine that’s restriction on Power builds, to take in a maximum of 15000 damage per second on a boss, will anyone be okay with it? (that’s what condition build is facing)

Well, i have no idea who to direct this message to. But to whoever that thinks conditions needs to be nerfed, or kept down, so power (current meta) can remained in power, and for conditions not to be “on par” or “good” for usage. In short, do not do unto others what you do not wish to be done to yourself.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

In general conditions have always been viable. Blind, cripple, chill, vulnerability and weakness are very strong conditions and are used very frequently. Only the damage causing conditions are partially in a bad position. They are not influenced by vulnerability and damage enhancing traits. We have so far no infos if this will change.

We already know that damage dealing conditions will stack in intensity in near future. This is a huge progress. Arenanet has also designed Husks with high resistance against direct damage. Imagine a dungeon 90% filled with Husks. It is easy for the devs to create more monsters with different tricks that favor condition-based playstyles even more.

A dungeon with 90% filled with Husks would be a dungeon where 90% of the mobs get skipped. Not much of a change from current situation.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Here is a sticky on the HoT subforum.

They are working on increasing the bleed cap, as well as other caps such as confusion. They also mentioned in recent streams that other currently unstackable DoTs, such as burning and poison, may become stackable.

In the recent Ready Up, Josh showed a condition spec Dragonhunter. Taking into account that the damage numbers are still in flux and subject to change, after Josh finished his rotation (which only took a few seconds) he was doing 2.5k per second bleeding and 4.5k per second burning. This would outperform a lot of direct damage builds.

It looks like they have a lot of balancing to do yet, but they are clearly working towards making condi builds just as strong as direct damage builds. I just hope it doesn’t swing too far in favour of condis and make power builds sub-optimal. If they can increase the stacks and balance the figures it should open up more build diversity, even it if still remains that most people run damage builds.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.