Will GW2 be as successful as GW1?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

in your opinion, will GW2 be as successful as GW1?

Posted by: SteveK.5827

SteveK.5827

No, not even close because I think most will tire of it quicker than GW.
I liked to custom my skills the way I wanted them in GW1 now we are stuck with unwanted skills depending on what weapon you equip.

Posted by: Darkdawns.6942

Darkdawns.6942

I liked to custom my skills the way I wanted them in GW1 now we are stuck with unwanted skills depending on what weapon you equip.

my skillset with a rifle engineer seems pretty boring.

1 – auto attack dmg.
2 – 0 dmg short immobilize (barely used unless i need to stay alive/keep someone else alive)
3 – very very short range attack, not worth using unless in 100 range (melee swings are like 130 range from what ive heard)
4 – again only use is to stay alive, used rarely as it renders my character vulnerable for a while.
5 – again requires to be in short range only good for aoe situations where i wont die.

so yeah. running around with 1 is basically all you do as rifle engineer besides putting some turrets down that last forever and of course toolbelt, but the turrets make it so you cant use that either, the only active skill i use is incendiary ammo which has a minute cooldown other than heal of course)

(edited by Darkdawns.6942)

Posted by: SteveK.5827

SteveK.5827

Tried the engineer to level 10 and used 2 pistols.
The same skills gets so boring.
My main char is ele which is a bit better with the 4 choices of fire, ice, earth and air being very different.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

How are we measuring success? Concurrent users? Because if so, it’s already been more successful, as ANet has already revealed to have logged about 400k concurrent users; GW1 never got that high. Are we measuring in terms of sales? If so, I think the possibility of it being more successful is very likely; it got nearly a third of the sales in less than a month (2 million) of all three GW1 campaigns + EotN from 2005 to 2010 (6.5 million). That’s no small feat.

I think this game will stick around for a while. Most people didn’t walk into this game thinking it was gonna be WoW 2 or GW 1.5. Most people knew they were getting what ArenaNet have been saying for the past three years they’d give us. I don’t think those people are just going to drop off.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Unfortunately this is entirely subjective. I bored of GW1 after a few hours… Am loving GW2 though.

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

Yea, being able to customize would be amazing. I hate being restricted, it does nothing but smother the player out of all creativity they can come up with, which would make their character feel more like their character.

At least be able to re-arrange your skills would be nice

Posted by: Uchi.2419

Uchi.2419

I think so. GW2 has already garnered much more success than I think the original ever did. It’s already sold 2 million units.

Having played both, I feel like this one is much more “mmo-y” (organic) compared to the first, which essentially boiled down to being a single player game with an interactive lobby hub attached here and there. There are many features, especially pvp related, that I feel have fallen quite short in GW2 compared to GW1, but overall the game is quite solid and well polished for what it is. I miss the wide variety of class combinations, accessible/customizable guild halls, and alliances.

But hey, at least I can jump now.

(edited by Uchi.2419)

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

my skillset with a rifle engineer seems pretty boring.

1 – auto attack dmg.
2 – 0 dmg short immobilize (barely used unless i need to stay alive/keep someone else alive)
3 – very very short range attack, not worth using unless in 100 range (melee swings are like 130 range from what ive heard)
4 – again only use is to stay alive, used rarely as it renders my character vulnerable for a while.
5 – again requires to be in short range only good for aoe situations where i wont die.

so yeah. running around with 1 is basically all you do as rifle engineer besides putting some turrets down that last forever and of course toolbelt, but the turrets make it so you cant use that either, the only active skill i use is incendiary ammo which has a minute cooldown other than heal of course)

I am curious, if you dont like it why do you use it? From what you listed its obvious the rifle is meant to give you mobility but hindering enemy, boosting you and removing conditions that slow you down. I didnt play the engineer much so I am not really experianced with it so what I am saying might not work in practice but anyhow the way I would imagine the rifle working is either to allow you to kite around and let turrents handle the damage or as a secondary weapon to ensure you stay mobile with another ranged weapon that is more damaging like say dual pistol, granade kit, elixir gun or mortar.

As for if GW2 will be as successful, I think in the long run it will exceed. Currently the biggest “problem” is a lot of GW1 players are seeing the skill system as restrictive and it really isnt compared to GW1. Thing is in my opinion in GW2 they removed the fluff and left the core of the skills of GW1. You still get the same effects more or less but instead of spreading those effects amongst 1000s of skills, they put 2 or 3 in each skill and spreaded them in between 15 – 45 skills depending on profession. For example elementalist in gw1 had 14 skills that caused the burning condition. Does it really matter if that burning doesnt trigger until target is knocked down or hit with a fire spell, or has a hex cast on them? thats simply using 2 skills to achieve the intended target and thats not factoring in energy management. In gw2 you still get to inflict the burning at times with more effects add to it such as say burning retreat where you not only inflict burning but get to escape while doing it.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Woops, wrong thread.

But edited, I think GW2 at least in terms of players and units sold has already surpassed GW1. It’s pretty clear that they’ve readily implemented mechanics to massively expand the game in the future.

(edited by Twaddlefish.6537)

Posted by: Supersomething.9213

Supersomething.9213

Funny thing about Guild Wars 1 is that many of the spells did the same exact thing, but the name and picture of the skill changed from Expansion to Expansion. The only thing that varied in any sort of noticeable fashion were the Elite skills.

On Topic: I think this game will do fine. Its free to play after you have bought the game so you can pick it up where ever you left off. There is no tiered raiding just like it was in GW1 so you won’t have to worry about playing a game of catch up if you stop playing for extended periods of time.

I think people will need to learn to look at success from a different perspective than they do for sub. based MMO’s.

(edited by Supersomething.9213)

Posted by: Pikafan.3792

Pikafan.3792

By the rate of sales alone, GW2 has far, far surpassed GW1.

From a business standpoint, GW2 is far more successful than GW1,

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

If you think back to the original GW (before Factions, before Nightfall, etc…) it’s price point was it’s most appealing feature. It became what it was because of how ArenaNet supported the game through new campaigns that linked to one another and opened up new parts of the world. But the first month into the release of the original GW it wasn’t all that special.

GW2 has had a much more successful launch. If you dislike the game, that’s fine. You only have to look at the metacritic scores of the pro reviews to know you are in the minority. Collectively pretty much everyone loves the game. In fact the lowest review is 85 and that reviewer’s main reason for the less than perfect score seems to be around her distaste for their approach to endgame (a valid concern)

Unlike GW1, GW2 innovates and where it doesn’t innovate it takes the best ideas of other games (dynamic events- Rift, WvW from Warmmer, Cash shop from Eve). Generally where they borrow they give credit. All great games build on ideas of what has come before it.

The skill system is completely different, but bear in mind the original GW1 system was modeled in part on Magic the Gathering (dev team admitted this years later). That system led to build wars. You had build wikis ranking builds and it got to a point where it wasn’t about trying to create a great build, the best build choice for a given situation was already documented. The community controls the game (this is true of any game) and the community embraced this. You would try to group for anything and be expected to ping your build. The game’s abundance of skill choices became it’s weakest point. The new system is the only way to properly do it with action-combat without making things too complex.

I think moving forward the success of the game will be all about how quickly new content pours in. They have a lot of work to do.

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

Depends on how you measure success. If you want to just count sales then it already has sold more than 2 million copies. GW1 sold 6 million over its lifetime. They are well on their way.

Posted by: Guy Bigsock.2136

Guy Bigsock.2136

Way more Sucessful :P