Will HoT affect existing maps at all?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: solfizz.5730

solfizz.5730

I ask this because I am a pretty casual explorer-type who loves checking out the scenery, and I think it would be awesome if some of these changes are implemented for those of us not shooting for level 80 right away.

Just to give you a better idea of what I’m envisioning, the following is just me is me throwing out some of the ideas in my head:

I think it would be amazing if there were more explorable places within the existing zones, such as new underground caverns, hidden zones such as the Pirate’s Cove in Lion’s Arch or the Hidden Jumping Puzzle in Gandarran’s field and (please bear with me on this one) – floating continents for the sake of using the glider in the older zones if you can’t do so already, thereby creating let’s say 50% more things to do in the form of missions/vistas/points of interests/etc…

Even though the game is phenomenal as it is…it would be nice if the existing enemies are either more diverse in employing fighting strategies against them and/or more difficult…therefore making them more than just filler material for lack of a better term.

It would be cool if there were new mission-types, again to create another incentive for new and old players alike to go back to re-explore the old zones which (for me at least) is the crux of the single-player/PVE experience. I know it’s unreasonable as the scale of this game is already MASSIVE, and I appreciate all the work that has gone into GW2. Again it’s just fun putting my thoughts in writing.

(edited by solfizz.5730)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Doubtful there will be much, if any, new content in the old zones. It is possible a Living Story episode or episodes might take place in Core Tyria, but as they are often instanced, now, it/they might not have any noticeable effect outside the instance.

Of course, one never knows.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Unlikely. Afaik the focus of the game is now towards the new areas. The vanilla maps probably won’t be changed at all, except for special events, as they want everyone to buy the expansion.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Not with HoT, but maybe if we get a “Depths of Tyria” expansion or something would be interesting.

But currently it looks like areas instead are the norm, Kralk will have the Crystal Desert, Jormag will have the Far Shiverpeaks, Mord has the Jungle.

But I would love to see it happen myself.

The only real changes are scavenger hunts, and some reward changes for materials etc.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Probably not. GW2 is built on a buy to play business model, so they generally expect people to have to buy occasionally to play more content.

I think the three years we got out of core tyria was pretty rad, but changing it more would make the experience even more disorienting and confusing for new players than it is now.

Like, the living world is a great concept, but it isn’t fully deliverable within the narrative restrictions of how GW2 is set up past a certain point.

You can’t both say that all new characters exist before the formation of the pact and a death of zhaitan while simultaneously continuing to make massive changes to open world zones that at a basic level assume being “stuck in time” at a certain point.

This was the lesson they learned from LS1, and why they moved to the LS2 model of subtle changes that aren’t confusingly out of place when you go “back in time” on new characters. You end up murdering content that new players rely upon to understand the ongoing story, and really confusing them.

I’m already tired of explaining to new people why LA looks different in their story missions since the game doesn’t bother.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

It will make them emptier.

Posted by: solfizz.5730

solfizz.5730

Not with HoT, but maybe if we get a “Depths of Tyria” expansion or something would be interesting.

But currently it looks like areas instead are the norm, Kralk will have the Crystal Desert, Jormag will have the Far Shiverpeaks, Mord has the Jungle.

The only real changes are scavenger hunts, and some reward changes for materials etc.

“Depths of Tyria” …I like the ring of that!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are scavenger hunts in the context of this game?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

“Depths of Tyria” …I like the ring of that!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are scavenger hunts in the context of this game?

“collections”

They’re a certain subset of achievements that task you with collecting a series of items. Collections are a little different than pure scavenger hunts as you don’t really have to turn in the items. for instanc,e the collection for bandit weapons, you simply have to acquire one of each skin. You don’t have to keep them though. As soon as you pick up or buy, say, a bandit sword, the collection is updated, and you are free to salvage or sell it without losing progress.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

As far as additions to the maps themselves in terms of geography, events, that sort of thing… doubtful. HoT is focusing on the new areas, not the old, and I’m sure they would have mentioned it at some point if that weren’t the case.

However, there are some additions to the old maps in terms of mechanics and such.

One of the big ones is probably the new map reward system where doing events in old areas will reward you with bonus items based on which map your in. High level maps can get you bonus T6 materials (even lodestones), lower level maps can get you stuff like linen and such. There was quite a variety of stuff from what I remember browsing through some of them during beta.

This is exclusive to old maps (even excludes the Silverwastes and Dry Top), since new maps will instead be getting you map-specific rewards like Geodes and Bandit Crests.

Another is the Pact Tyria mastery tracks, which can get you various mastery rewards, access to stuff like precursor crafting, exclusive vendors, that sort of thing. And again is exclusive to the core game (can’t remember if they’ve mentioned whether it includes SW / DT or not) since Maguuma has its own mastery tracks.

And another is that some content in the old world is getting turned into Adventures, which means potentially different rewards, leaderboards, and the like. They haven’t mentioned specifics, but I remember them mentioning mini-dungeons and jumping puzzles, so who knows.

I imagine many of the legendary precursor scavenger hunts will also focus heavily on the old game, so there will be some renewed interest from that. We’ve already seen a few examples of it. Heck, maybe they will even end up adding some minor additions to the game world for those sorts of things.