Will HoT be free with next Expansion?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Doflamingo.6957

Doflamingo.6957

When next Expansion is released will Heart of Thorns become free like the original game?

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

It will be interesting to see what they do. I just hope they make it part of core because it would be one more version they will need to support (since not all copies of HOT will get upgraded to the new expansion).

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The original plan was to bundle all expansions together. HoT won’t be free by itself, but rather included for free with the next expansion. You can only guess what they’ll actually end up doing however.

Menadena.7482

True, I am thinking about it from a development point of view. The fewer versions people can potentially be on (and the problem will get worse the more paid expansions exist) the less things that can go wrong when code is released to end users.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

There is only one version though. Everyone downloads the same dat file. Everything else is permission gated.

Menadena.7482

In that sense, yes, but I mean in the sense of what large permission gates people have access to.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

In that sense, yes, but I mean in the sense of what large permission gates people have access to.

I can see where you’re going with this but they’re not releasing expansions at a frequent enough pace where this should be an issue. We also don’t know how they track permissions whether it be the registration keys themselves or something else.

Menadena.7482

True. From a version control standpoint in in not unusual to see companies deprecate older versions (in this case that would be core-only) so they do not have a nightmare of having too many different things being running. It would be one thing if all of the things in an expansion were limited to one area or not but that is not the case (like gliding and autoloot) and there is no reason to suspect they will stop doing that. For example, it has been strongly rumored we are getting a mastery people have been asking for for years and you KNOW people will not want to only have it in the new zones if that rumor is true.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Their last official stance on this was that the old expansions will be included with any new expac sale, with f2p being vanilla gw2. So far they haven’t said anything that might suggest they may have changed their mind. And, considering the next expac is going to come really soon, if they planned any such changes, and wanted to avoid any debacle on the level comparable with those they got with HoT, they really should have made an annoucement about it already.

So no, i don’t think it’s going to happen.

@Menadena: i don’t think they will retroactively apply it to old areas. This might potentially work with core (seeing as the gliding did), but i see a lot of serious troubles if they tried to use it in HoT. Or some of the new LS3 maps.

(also, it’s something that a lot of people may actually hate being introducted, depending of its implementation)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€
new xpac for hot owners=25-30€

everything else would be too much money (HoT was overpriced cause of lack of content/quality when it came out for 45€).

Ayrilana.1396

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

They won’t as they said all future expansions would be a bundle of previous expansions including fully removing the core game restrictions if a F2P account.

Ragnarox.9601

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

They won’t as they said all future expansions would be a bundle of previous expansions including fully removing the core game restrictions if a F2P account.

so for 45€ I will be buying hot again in a bundle, thats unrealistic and rather stupid cause there will be riots like with last expansion (and sales were bad).

Ayrilana.1396

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

so for 45€ I will be buying hot again in a bundle, thats unrealistic and rather stupid cause there will be riots like with last expansion (and sales were bad).

No. You will not be buying HoT again but you will get access to that content if you apply the registration key to a new or F2P account.

I don’t see why there would be issues with them doing this, compared to last time, as they announced this two years ago. People will have known well in advance this time.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

There’s really no chance that HoT would simply go F2P because it would be bad for business. If they made HoT F2P, why would anyone buy future expansions when they could simply play an expansion behind and get it for free? They would either need some serious purchase bonuses or do a restricted F2P model to encourage sales. For example, the maps and masteries would be F2P, while the story and elite specs would be bundled together and sold like the living world.

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

The standard price for a B2P expansion is $50. If they were going to do what every other MMO did, they would sell the expansion by itself for $50 and a complete package deal for $75. Rumor is ArenaNet’s going to be doing smaller quicker expansions at around $30 however, so that would be $30 alone and $50 complete.

Ragnarox.9601

There’s really no chance that HoT would simply go F2P because it would be bad for business. If they made HoT F2P, why would anyone buy future expansions when they could simply play an expansion behind and get it for free? They would either need some serious purchase bonuses or do a restricted F2P model to encourage sales. For example, the maps and masteries would be F2P, while the story and elite specs would be bundled together and sold like the living world.

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

The standard price for a B2P expansion is $50. If they were going to do what every other MMO did, they would sell the expansion by itself for $50 and a complete package deal for $75. Rumor is ArenaNet’s going to be doing smaller quicker expansions at around $30 however, so that would be $30 alone and $50 complete.

Well I would approove bundle (gw2+exp1+exp2) for 50€ and 30€ only for new expansion.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

“Papaya” Xpac = $X or X€

HoT included for FREE in “Papaya” Xpac. No, you are not paying for HoT again because it’s a bonus FREEBIE tossed into the deal.

Monthly Access Fee to play all day and every day for as long as the game exists= $0 or 0€

Do you understand how this works now?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

prob not but it will be included to expac 2 most likely.

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

so people get mad that they made core game free. I personally NEVER for a second suported this movement, got all entitled and came with all sorts of agendas etc…..and now the same people want this game to be free after all that?
even woodenpotato was all like “Ohh they should totally not make it free…blabla entitlement bs….agendas and shts”

What the actual **** is wrong with you all?

zealex.9410

Tbh idk why ppl get triggered about the expac incluiding the previous content like. Consider it as a extra thing in there not where the price comes from.

Ragnarox.9601

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

“Papaya” Xpac = $X or X€

HoT included for FREE in “Papaya” Xpac. No, you are not paying for HoT again because it’s a bonus FREEBIE tossed into the deal.

Monthly Access Fee to play all day and every day for as long as the game exists= $0 or 0€

I understand they have massive gem shop. + we dont have all 2nd gen legendaries yet and they will sell 2nd expansion before that (and last 3 legendaries are worst looking weapons in mmo games cause they are rushing to finish them).

Ayrilana.1396

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

“Papaya” Xpac = $X or X€

I understand they have massive gem shop. + we dont have all 2nd gen legendaries yet and they will sell 2nd expansion before that (and last 3 legendaries are worst looking weapons in mmo games cause they are rushing to finish them).

Not personally liking the look doesn’t mean that the legendary weapons were rushed.

Menadena.7482

including fully removing the core game restrictions if a F2P account.

Huh? When did they say ftp was not going to have restrictions?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^When purchasing. “Including fully removing the core game restrictions if a F2P account”…when purchasing the (upcoming) expansion.

That’s when Play4Free has no restrictions.

Ayrilana.1396

including fully removing the core game restrictions if a F2P account.

Huh? When did they say ftp was not going to have restrictions?

Read the rest of my post that got cut out as it provides context to what was specifically quoted.

Ragnarox.9601

Not personally liking the look doesn’t mean that the legendary weapons were rushed.

Flames of war and HMS divinity are ugliest weapons in my gaming history (20 years+) which look like they have been planned and made in 1 day.

Ayrilana.1396

Flames of war and HMS divinity are ugliest weapons in my gaming history (20 years+) which look like they have been planned and made in 1 day.

That’s your opinion on the aesthetics but has no bearing on whether they were rushed or not. There are people that complain the legendary armors are ugly so does that mean those were rushed after two years? Each episode is given about a six month lead time so is six months for a single skin rushed?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

zealex.9410

Funnily enough they are some of the most detailed legendarys in the game lul. Personal preference doesnt translate to work done.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

“Papaya” Xpac = $X or X€

What you mentioned has nothing to do with the xpac topic that you brought up. You claimed you’d be paying for HoT again, but you are not paying for HoT again if you purchase the xpac.

Also, we are discussing a mandatory cash investment/requirement to obtain the xpac and what’s included, the gemstore is completely optional.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

zealex.9410

I am hoping:

gw + hot=10€
gw + hot + new xpac= 40€

“Papaya” Xpac = $X or X€

good think the rest of the gen 2 leggies that will release after hte expac will still be hot content.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I’ll rather not set a foot in that whole hot expansion mess.
Any news about new expansion here btw? All I saw was some obscure leaked data and not all of the info was great to be honest.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Any news about new expansion here btw? All I saw was some obscure leaked data and not all of the info was great to be honest.

What we have is that the plan to release it in essentially the same timeframe as LW, alowing for a bit more time as it is an expansion after all.
So, next episode sometime during july/v early august; expansion towards the end of the year, maybe? Probably more info coming with/after last LW3 ep. Then LW4 a couple months after expansion.

(All of that from the Flashpoint AMA at reddit.)

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

What we have is that the plan to release it in essentially the same timeframe as LW, alowing for a bit more time as it is an expansion after all.
So, next episode sometime during july/v early august; expansion towards the end of the year, maybe? Probably more info coming with/after last LW3 ep. Then LW4 a couple months after expansion.

Thanks, I can’t wait. I loved this game until Hot made it too bad for me to continue.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Thanks, I can’t wait. I loved this game until Hot made it too bad for me to continue.

I really, really don’t think you will find the new post-HoT content better than the HoT expansion was. I’m afraid that pretty much everything in the LS3 episodes has been recognisably similar to the HoT content, and strongly suggests that is the path of the xpac.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I really, really don’t think you will find the new post-HoT content better than the HoT expansion was. I’m afraid that pretty much everything in the LS3 episodes has been recognisably similar to the HoT content, and strongly suggests that is the path of the xpac.

o.O

I can’t really speak to Lake Doric or the new zone, but I do not find Bloodstone Fen, Ember Bay or Bitterfrost Frontier to be at all like HoT. Navigation is easy to learn and straightforward, mobs rarely appear in excessive numbers, meta events are not so complex that people flock to the one organized map, and exploration does not include HC’s with Champions. To my mind, the LS3 maps, at least the three I’ve explored to a greater degree, are in many ways a pendulum swing away from the most common complaints about HoT maps.