Will I be forced to join China server?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Brendar.3548

Brendar.3548

Q:

Title. I moved to China back in September, and it’s been bothering me that when the China servers go online, I might be forced into a Chinese server simply due to how the government regulates the internet. I’ve been following the development very closely, but ANet hasn’t stated whether or not those residing in China will have to choose a Chinese server. Or if it’s only for new Chinese accounts created after the launch.

Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

A:

The Chinese and Western versions of gw2 are completely different and will not be together at any time. So if you bought a NA or EU version then you will continue to access the game through that.

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

they are different games with different clients. So you wont be in a Chinese server

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Brendar.3548

Brendar.3548

Ok, I was just concerned as I’m aware of how much the Chinese government censors things, and if GW2 had to get censored, I was worried that they might block all other clients other than the Chinese one, forcing me to get the Chinese version.

Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Ok, I was just concerned as I’m aware of how much the Chinese government censors things, and if GW2 had to get censored, I was worried that they might block all other clients other than the Chinese one, forcing me to get the Chinese version.

This isn’t a joke or anything, but are you actually allowed to ask that question, from where you’re from? :X

Posted by: KeyOrion.9506

KeyOrion.9506

It’s true, China has a department for agents to access MMORPG’s on the internet. And they monitor the community for seditious materials and content. You and I may think it’s stupid but…it’s true…and it’s no laughing matter. The “official” Beijing governments stance on MMORPG’s is that they are a nuisance, and a bad influence on the populace, and instills “wrong thinking elements which must be stamped out.”

It’s a serious political issue in china.

I have no doubt that, the department in question will be in “touch” with anets Chinese version, in order to make a few “suggestions”, if those suggestions haven’t already been made. :p

When I’m cute, I can be cute. But when I’m mean, I can be very very mean.

(edited by KeyOrion.9506)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If the Chinese government should have some sanction regarding GW2, and you residing in China, I am not sure ArenaNet could do anything about it. Perhaps, your question might be better served by directing it to them.

Posted by: viralthefrog.6130

viralthefrog.6130

You may want to go pick up a Chinese version of GW2 when available.
Given their government, I would imagine you could get in some deep kitten if you were not playing by their rules.