Will Lion's Arch ever be rebuilt?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

Just curious, would love to see it back to its former glory.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

maybe not to its former glory,but im sure its going to be rebuild

Besides now we have Hero-tron helping out with the rebuilding…..surely it will speed up the process

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Maybe at with the expansion?
Really I would like to see a complete LA again… bit sad that it probably wont ever be the same as before, but as long as it does get rebuild as the multiracial hub city that it was, which looks like good place for trade and such.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

No, don’t rebuild it. A great tragedy happened there, so rebuilding will just nullify that event and thus diminish the value of having that kind of serious story element to begin with.

Forgive me for using this as a reference, but consider the Twin Towers. It’s the same idea. So rather than just re-building the towers, it was turned into a memorial ground – far more honorable and respectful for the lives we lost.

So at best, treat LA like a memorial place.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

It’ll be rebuilt one day, no idea when, though…

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

The NPE didn’t remove Claw Island from the Personal Story. So whenever I do that part I scratch my head and wonder A) why are the bad guys bothering? and B) why do I want to save a bunch of ruins?

I can really see where new players (for whom the NPE was introduced, right?) would be confused as hell.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Not any time soon. Have you seen how slowly that guy by the guild bank is hammering through that pile of rubble?

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Hopefully when they rebuild it it won;t have the silly boat bridges

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Yes.

:)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: KronosBaelfire.6289

KronosBaelfire.6289

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! \o/

https://twitter.com/KronosBaelfire
http://gw2style.com/profile.php?id=9298
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” – Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

Those folks working on repairs at LA must have been trained by CalTrans, the only people who can repave a road and leave the potholes intact. They aint made any progress that I can see.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Yes.

And the other cities will once again turn into ghost towns as a result

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Somebody hack Gail’s account?!

Posted by: Ranor.5261

Ranor.5261

Fingers crossed for expansion!

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Fingers crossed for expansion!

Don’t bother. They mentioned it already that the city will be in it’s poor state at the expansion’s launch. Maybe 6 months to a year later? It took 4 months just for the city to rebuilt the Lion Statue water fountain after Mad King Thorn destroyed it the first time.

Posted by: Valdur.3607

Valdur.3607

If LA is rebuilt it should not be to its former beauty and glory but there should be something to reminds us of what happened.

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

Yes.

When? Soon™ :(

Posted by: Helequin.2608

Helequin.2608

I have to say, the state of LA is one of the biggest down falls of LS 2 for me since it kills the entire sense of having a Living Story. The whole season, the city was just sitting completely static for….it’s been months now. There are NPCs there, clearly hammering on something, there was talk of rebuilding and so on, and yet there are still holes in the bridges when trying to walk places.

LS2 basically didn’t live at all for me. The only things that moved were in the instances, and some of the vine stuff out in the open world. But LA just sat there. I didn’t expect it to be magically fixed or even for the rebuild to go smoothly, but small little updates like patches on the bridges or other things like this would have at least reminded us the world was still ticking on.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Those folks working on repairs at LA must have been trained by CalTrans, the only people who can repave a road and leave the potholes intact. They aint made any progress that I can see.

It’s been how long with zero progress? 9 months?
Inexcusable.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Eileane.3845

Eileane.3845

A few changes from patch to patch (different NPC`s building up something else, maybe some static dialog) would be nice to give the feeling of something happening.

Rebuilding LA to the way it exactly looked as before would be strange tho since back in the day they used the old fleet ships and now since those are destroyed the new city would/should look different.

Boxie Togg (main)… probably Tyrias only Asuran Mesmer that ultimately fails at jumping puzzles
Stinky McLane… the only Necro known to have a toothpaste fetish
Lefty (give me a second) Fiddlesticks… one Engineer, two clumbsy hands…

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Yes.

Meh.
I understand a lot of players are asking for it, but it feels like a huge shame to build over something as colossal as the main hub city being destroyed so quickly. I mean, it was back up and running (for all we care, as all facilities were there) within months.

Ofc, once those facilities were back in, yes, might as well completely rebuild it. Granted.
It’s just a shame that was ever done in the first place. Miasma could have provided for an interesting setup for a combat-zone, while players use the other 5 cities for commerce which get city-to-city gates or something like that.

There was a chance to do a huge permanent transformation to a MMO world there, because while the change to Kessex was interesting, ultimately it doesn’t amount to all that much with the tower gone. Destroying your main city, well, that’s something which made me raise an eyebrow. That’s the kind of permanent world changes I want in my MMORPGs. :o

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I think it will take a few LS stories to rebuild LA. Would be a good filler before the release of the expansions which i personally think will be on the third anniversary of GW2.

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

In other words it’s shelved at the moment till we get around to it (for a few years). Just like finding out what really caused the Great Collapse in Divinity’s Reach, or what’s inside the Wizards Tower. Or all those mini game we talked about since launch but never came out. Like Bar Brawl, Shooting Gallery, or even Polymock (which Colin has repeatedly teased at throughout the years). Not to mention the other things like SAB, Dragon Bash, or Reaper’s Rumble. The latter never being explained why it was removed after the first year Halloween, even though the Lunatic Inquisition is still broken. Better yet how about that lousy Zhaitan fight actually being reworked on, to make it less anticlimactic. Since it was admitted latter on that particular fight sequence was rushed out the door to make GW2 release date.

(edited by Sindex.9520)

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Yes.

out of curiousity, will it be fixed in one update, or will there be a progression thing embedded in some story, we want our waypoint and city back!

also those workers need a new supervisor

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

My poor guardian will have a home again, and no longer be forced to do business in that insufferable city of poncey nobles!

YARR!

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

In other words it’s shelved at the moment till we get around to it (for a few years). Just like finding out what really caused the Great Collapse in Divinity’s Reach, or what’s inside the Wizards Tower.

Colin did talk about how they are stretched thin for 3 game modes already (their reason for not wanting to add a fourth).

My solution to this would still be to axe sPvP.
Minority game mode, too separate from the other two modes, mechanics don’t transfer over well. Least amount of damage to the game, but lots of dev time (seeing how much is about sPvP) freed up.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yes.

Meh.
I understand a lot of players are asking for it, but it feels like a huge shame to build over something as colossal as the main hub city being destroyed so quickly. I mean, it was back up and running (for all we care, as all facilities were there) within months.

Quickly? Two separate time flows at work here – either months, in-story or over a year in real time.

I don’t think it’s a huge shame to have it rebuilt again, IF there’s a memorial to signify there was incredible loss of life in the attack.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Colin did talk about how they are stretched thin for 3 game modes already (their reason for not wanting to add a fourth).

My solution to this would still be to axe sPvP.
Minority game mode, too separate from the other two modes, mechanics don’t transfer over well. Least amount of damage to the game, but lots of dev time (seeing how much is about sPvP) freed up.

OK… how about… no!

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Back to the OP though; like I wrote in another thread, there’s no chance LA will be built while Mordremoth is still a threat. The world’s eyes are turned on Maguuma Jungle, budgets are going into war budgets and not rebuilding cities. The Pact Fleet got annihilated and the future is uncertain. Why rebuild when you’re not sure Mordremoth will just return and destroy it once more.

First you eliminate the threat, then you can rebuild.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Yes.

But, in what way?

It’ll be great if players had some control over it.

For example, having something like several architects all over the city, gathering materials and other donations around the city, so players can donate AND choose the type of stuff they want to see around there.

You have all those areas:
Bloodcoast Ward
Canal Ward
Eastern Ward
Farshore Ward
Fort Marriner
Grand Piazza
Hooligan’s Route
Inner Harbor
Postern Ward
Sanctum Harbor
Sharkmaw Caverns
Trader’s Forum
Western Ward
White Crane Terrace

Some would get an architect, some would share architects with other areas.

Each architect would have several options, the first would always be “Classic LA” which is Pirate/Lionguard then depending on the area there could be additional options, like:

• Human: Simple houses with the typical “Square with triangle on top” shape.
    • “Elonian”: structures inspired by Primeval, Vabbian Kournan and Istani around them.
    • Canthan: structures like Kurzick gothic cathedrals, Kaining slums, Shing Jea’s temples and villages…
    • Ascalonian: A bit more pillars and statues.
    • Orrian: Lots and lots of circles.
  • Norn: Mostly wood and steel reinforcements.
  • Asura: Stone cubes and Magictech.
  • Sylvari: Shapen plants all over the place.
  • Charr: Metallic structures featuring gears and pipes.
  • Dwarven: Structures similar to dwarven ruins
  • Eye of the North: Tall buildings with composite pillars.
    And others.

The options most paid on each architect would be more likely to be chosen and used.

There would be no refunds, so the architects would give Captain’s Council Commendation for all donations, which would be usable on a vendor for some shinnies.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Zil.3071

Zil.3071

nooo dont…. whats the point. so lame. like nothing happened. u have to rebuild it still looking like alot has happened. dont take the kitten old file and replace it zzz

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Yes.

Dragon Bash in renewed LA confirmed!

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Hoping rebuilding LA is an event we can be a part of. Heck, I’d go logging for supply and build things myself if I could.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Hoping rebuilding LA is an event we can be a part of. Heck, I’d go logging for supply and build things myself if I could.

If we could have done that we’d be done rebuilding LA by now. Instead we have the same workers pounding on the same nails with NOTHING to show for it.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Zeno Iagara.8540

Zeno Iagara.8540

I wouldn’t bet on it being rebuilt any time soon. If the workers are like those building the dam in Queensdale you won’t see any progress for years.

Posted by: Rius.7453

Rius.7453

LA still being a wreck really bothers me. In this “living breathing world”, a major trade hub has been in shambles for an incredibly long time, both in game and real time.

As much as I love the idea of the world changing with the story, the follow through on the ‘back end’, if you will, leaves a lot to be desired. Take Fort Concordia for example. Attacked and destroyed by Mordremoth… and if you play your personal story, it was apparently already wrapped in vines before Fort Trinity was built.

“Oh no, fellow Pact members, I am sure this completely ruined fort is a great place to meet up. Those vines are just decor, I’m sure. I sure hope no Mord….Risen get us. What year is this? My head hurts.”

Fort Concordia is really inexcusable, because it’s already an instanced zone in the personal story. I can’t believe it would be a huge chore to put the old fort in for that quest.

I don’t even want to talk about all the Seraph in Kessex Hills that apparently missed the memo about Fort Salma either.

Oh yeah, Seraph Scout? Fort Salma is the staging point against the Centuars? I’m sure that is going freaking fabulously.

My hope is that with HoT some changes will be made to the world. Not holding my breath though.

Posted by: lugzan.4561

lugzan.4561

yay so the fountain will be ready so can be destroyed at the launch of HOT?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Please show Kessex Hills some “recondition” love too….It used to be such a beautiful Zone.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Yes.

And the other cities will once again turn into ghost towns as a result

My home was Hoelbrak already before LA was destroyed, and it will remain it also after its rebuilt

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Yes.

Dragon Bash in renewed LA confirmed!

Haha .. that was something i also already thought would be a good idea to fill the time
until the expansion is released

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yes.

Dang! OP should have asked when LA is going to be rebuilt. There goes our one opportunity to know the truth, lost forever to the Mists!

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

I’ve really been a little disappointed that we haven’t seen minor incremental changes there, with each patch.

It doesn’t have to be anything big, just… a few little tidbits here and there. A few piles of debris cleaned up, a bridge repaired a bit further, that kind of thing.

However, I hope it’s never back to it’s FORMER glory, but on to a new and DIFFERENT glory!

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Of course! What else will arenanet blow up in the first living story season of HoT to make us care?

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Yes.

To be honest, LA can’t be rebuilt simply to it’s original state.
It has to be reworked as you’ve seen in my design [topic], including both it’s structure and visual design. Which is;

1. Structure: 3 main HUB propably Docks, Black Market Cave, and a nice “village”-ish. It keeps players from flood a single point, as they did before.
  2. Visual design: Now it’s time to give it a really unique look, to make it like a real city where citizens live & work. I’ve suggested something like the italian “Venezia”, which would fulfill all the sense LA has to offer.

@ deserted cities: Each city has to offer unique things to it’s design, and not just mainly visual differences. It supposed to be something really nice and connected to the race/lore… Maybe really good useable items and a very deep sense of the culture?

P.s.: I’m so happy for this news!!

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

(edited by RoyalPredator.9163)

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Yes.

And then it will be destroyed again before the end of the Mordremoth arc. xD xD

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

No, don’t rebuild it. A great tragedy happened there, so rebuilding will just nullify that event and thus diminish the value of having that kind of serious story element to begin with.

Forgive me for using this as a reference, but consider the Twin Towers. It’s the same idea. So rather than just re-building the towers, it was turned into a memorial ground – far more honorable and respectful for the lives we lost.

So at best, treat LA like a memorial place.

Except they are rebuilding the Twin Towers site. Slowly, but they’ve been at it for years now. If we listened to people like you entire cities in my country would probably still be in ruins.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Posted by: Aesir.3192

Aesir.3192

It would be weird if it’s hard to “rebuild” LA, since all they need is a backup from what it was before Scarlet destroyed it. I would love to see it in one piece again, it looks quite depressing at the moment, and the most important waypoint in the city still doesn’t work.

Posted by: NeedsFoodBadly.2671

NeedsFoodBadly.2671

I am getting a little tired of LA looking like a complete dump to be perfectly honest.

Remember: Don’t Shoot Food!

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I hope when it gets rebuilt that it does look like the LA from launch. A city made from ship parts was a unique visual concept I’d hate to see lost forever out of some attempt to make the world feel like true time passes.

The Great Collapse was a wonderful, character-filled part of DR. The Queen’s Pavilion is nice, but took some of the mystery out of DR and made it a little more generic fantasy city.

The Zephyrite cliffs and airship were another highlight of the game, but now the ship is scattered across Dry Top giving us another rubble-strewn area.

If LA must be redesigned, please at least keep it in the style of LA at launch.

And if another home city is slated for destruction, let it be the frustratingly designed Black Citadel, which could be rebuilt to be more logical to navigate and closer to the epic looking concept art we see in the loading screen.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

In a WORLD of "Um"s and “Ya know”s there comes a response, unlike anything we’ve ever seen before…. “SOOooooo…”!

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.