Will ascended armor mean mix-match armor?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Emissary Vex.5690

Emissary Vex.5690

I cannot stress enough how huge of a mistake it will be if we cannot get ascended armor in sets. Whether it be because we can only afford 1 or 2 pieces or because of some random reward system. If people have to look funky they will leave the game.

Likewise, people will be extremely upset if they feel like they need to buy transmutation stones now and then transmutation splitters later once they have the full set of ascended armor.

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

so people will be upset on their own choice of transmuting appearance on an exotic and have to do it again later on when they get a piece of ascended armor?

What is the different between transmuting it in one go on full set and doing it on separated pieces that you acquire every few weeks?

Why transmutation splitters?

I am all up for the craftable sets, i just don’t understand your logic.

Emissary Vex.5690

Answering your questions in order;

Not everyone has transmuted their exotic armor as it all maches; unlike the people who will only have 1-3 pieces of ascended and don’t want to be mix-match.

Because people should not HAVE to buy transmutation stones just to not look weird.

Because after using transmutation stones to hide their ascended armor to make it match their current exotic; once they get the full set of ascended they would have to use splitters to get the ascended appearance back.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

I don’t understand the logic either, I mean people were running around in half dungeon sets for awhile too. If a player doesn’t want to look “funky” (and lets be honest, based on the ascended armor skins most people will be transmuting the appearance of an exotic over it) they can just park the ascended gear into their bank.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Because after using transmutation stones to hide their ascended armor to make it match their current exotic; once they get the full set of ascended they would have to use splitters to get the ascended appearance back.

Does anyone actually like the ascended gear?

Protoavis.9107

I like medium….but not more than I like some of the other medium armor in game

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

It is player’s choice to buy the gem store stone + splitter if they want to look the way they wanted all the time, it is pretty much the most purchased item on gemstore.

I understand your logic now but it is just a weak argument to convince them to make a set craftable, after all those stones are great for their revenue.

It is a quality of life for some that can afford all the crafting mats/costs upfront of course.

Emissary Vex.5690

I don’t understand the logic either, I mean people were running around in half dungeon sets for awhile too. If a player doesn’t want to look “funky” (and lets be honest, based on the ascended armor skins most people will be transmuting the appearance of an exotic over it) they can just park the ascended gear into their bank.

Thats a weak argument, as it takes only a few days to get a full set of exotic as opposed to weeks/months it takes to get ascended due to all the time locks. Also, I dont have enough bank space for a full set of armor because the games storage limits are so rediculess.

It is player’s choice to buy the gem store stone + splitter if they want to look the way they wanted all the time

Except there are dozens of other mmos where people can look the way they want all the time and the fact remains that people will leave the game over it. Its a huge step backwards in mmo gaming to force people to wear mix and match armor.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The light one on a female sylvari/human/norn seems okay with the right set of dyes.

Posted by: Quizotic.2815

Quizotic.2815

didn’t they add transmute stones in lvl 70 and higher zones upon completion specifically for this type of thing? and don’t you get like 6 per map?

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

It is player’s choice to buy the gem store stone + splitter if they want to look the way they wanted all the time

Except there are dozens of other mmos where people can look the way they want all the time and the fact remains that people will leave the game over it. Its a huge step backwards in mmo gaming to force people to wear mix and match armor.

Dozens of MMO’s don’t, or charge ludicrous amounts of money for it. You can buy the stones with ingame gold, and if you’re making ascended you can probably afford it.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

didn’t they add transmute stones in lvl 70 and higher zones upon completion specifically for this type of thing? and don’t you get like 6 per map?

Transmutation stones are useless for lv80 gear.
For map completion you get either 3 stones or 1 crystal or 1 black lion key. You get 3 stones most of the time. I don’t think the level range for the zone matters but it’s been a while since I’ve gotten one.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Well after seeing a preview of the full Medium set in game last night I think I will be having a mix and match set in the end either way (that is if I do not just totally replace the look). I just can’t stand armour sets where only one arm is covered and the other is not.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Protoavis.9107

Thats a weak argument, as it takes only a few days to get a full set of exotic as opposed to weeks/months it takes to get ascended due to all the time locks. Also, I dont have enough bank space for a full set of armor because the games storage limits are so rediculess.

Ermmm, difference of opinion =/= weak argument. Either way if you’re crafting to 500 to get ascended gear you’d have the gold required to get transtones or extra bank tabs. Also the lack of bank space is probably more of a player issue than a game issue since in all honesty there’s really not much worth storing.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Some people already paid to look the way they want to… with rl $. IMO if a player spent RL cash for transmutes, they should be given some for free to compensate with this change.

I wouldn’t receive any personally, but this seems the just thing to do.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If anyone leaves the game just because it’s going to take them a long time to get their armor to look the way they want they would have left sooner or later anyway and will probably have a hard time finding a game they will stick with.

Everyone started off in armor they probably didn’t like and had to get to level 80 before they could count on having a matching set. (Unless you wanted to waste money buying a full set every few levels just to avoid mis-matched armor.) If they can survive that I’m sure they can endure wearing part of an ascended set until they get the whole lot.

On top of which a lot of people like mix-and-match armor. There’s a whole thread for showing off sets you’ve put together yourself and IMO some of them look better than any pre-designed sets.

I’m already thinking about which other pieces would go with the medium ascended coat. I like that one (mainly because it’s not a trenchcoat and doesn’t hide the gloves) but I don’t think I’d want the full set, so I’ll be combining it with other pieces, maybe exotic, maybe blues and greens, to get a look I do like. It’s going to take me a while but that’s fine with me. It gives me something to work towards.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I love mix-n-match armor. I like being able to put this coat with that pant/skirt/buttflap and add those shoes…

With ascended, I think there are some cool pieces, but the whole together is kind of meh. I will probably be wearing mix-n-match a lot.

THat is IF I decide to get Ascended armor at all.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

I mix and match armors on all my characters, I have 4 level 80s with at least 2-4 sets each and I think I only have 1 actual full set of a specific armor.. I think it looks better/a lot less plain if you mix and match

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I have four level 80 characters and another five I’m working on. None of them have what you’d call a “full” skin set, and I don’t intend to ever do that. I’ve always felt that mix-n-match is better anyway for making that “unique” look for your toons.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Emissary Vex.5690

Wow this has obviously gone completely over your heads. Wanting mix and match armor is not the problem, I used a mixed set as well.

You aren’t thinking clearly. how are you going to feel when you cant control how your armor mixes. What are you going to do when you have an ascended chest piece that doesn’t match anything else at all.

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Wow this has obviously gone completely over your heads. Wanting mix and match armor is not the problem, I used a mixed set as well.

You aren’t thinking clearly. how are you going to feel when you cant control how your armor mixes. What are you going to do when you have an ascended chest piece that doesn’t match anything else at all.

Then use a transmutation crystal… they’re on sale quite often and I get them in daily rewards so frequently I have almost a stack. And for your arguement of needing expensive aplitters… plan ahead… if it kills you to have one piece looking weird while you acquire the set… wait til you have the whole thing then equip and make it look how you want…

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I agree with you Vex. Sometimes you can predict problems before a patch and the forums remain stubbornly blind to it until people see their own armor looking a mess.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It really doesn’t bother me.

Until my first character got to level 80 I didn’t buy armor at all. I just used whatever I got as drops or story rewards and it usually didn’t match. Then I got a set of temple armor which IMO is one of the ugliest sets in the game. That was back in April and I’m still working on getting a full set I think looks good. (One piece left now!)

My other 4 characters are still using whatever they got as drops.

If a piece is really ugly I hide it or use one of the HoM skins instead but mostly I just live with it until I get something better.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”