Will base classes get Taunt/Slow/Resistance?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bad Decision Dino.1386

Bad Decision Dino.1386

I realize most people are just going to lose their kittens when they read about Taunt, but that’s a discussion for another thread. My concern is whether those new conditions are going to be rolled out to all the existing classes (which I imagine will come with a huge revamp of skills and traits or at least a hefty addition).

The article only specified that they would be available through the new specializations. It sounds like the new additions are trying to get the game back to its goal of fostering a new kind of trinity (Support/Damage/Control) which I’m totally fine with, but it’s going to feel really lame and awkward if the tools used to do that become HoT-specialization-specific, and the original classes are left in the dust to become relics balanced around outdated mechanics.

I’m definitely getting a FFXIV vibe with regard to the promises that your base class would be a viable alternative to specialization.

(edited by Bad Decision Dino.1386)

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

I assume they’ll overhaul some skills to make them give resistance instead of clearing conditions, as far as old skills go.

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

It will probably be a gradual thing, like torment has been. At first, it was only given in very-specific classes skills. Then they rolled out runes/sigils and replaced bleeds in some places with torment.

I’m just curious what will happen when feared and taunted at the same time…Maybe you bug out and just explode?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

It will probably be included in specializations. Don’t qoute me on that though.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

They are.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Aye, they did seem to make a point in the blog post that they would be available specifically to specializations.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

Yes they will be getting the new conditions/boons but only from the specializations “New boons, conditions, and status effects have been added to the revenant as well as spread across other professions’ specializations”

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

They are.

“New boons, conditions, and status effects have been added to the revenant as well as spread across other professions’ specializations”

;)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

They are.

“New boons, conditions, and status effects have been added to the revenant as well as spread across other professions’ specializations”

;)

Alrighty then, must have missed that part

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

sigh Did they really need to add more conditions to the game, at this rate they will have to add resistances and diminishing returns to counter conditions because it sounds like it will be getting out of hand, limited cleanses on long durations are not going to cut it anymore. The game is becoming too condition based gameplay for my taste.

Other than that, Revenants sound like they will be awesome, in fact so much so that it will definitely change the gwen meta up, cough gren cough.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

sigh Did they really need to add more conditions to the game, at this rate they will have to add resistances and diminishing returns to counter conditions because it sounds like it will be getting out of hand, limited cleanses on long durations are not going to cut it anymore. The game is becoming too condition based gameplay for my taste.

Other than that, Revenants sound like they will be awesome, in fact so much so that it will definitely change the gwen meta up, cough gren cough.

um… did you completely miss the new boon they’re adding?
It makes you immune to the effects of conditions while it’s active.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Probably.

Mesmers have a trait that is similar to taunt, it will probably get turned into taunt.
Mesmer’s specialty is Chronomancer so it will probably get slows.

Engineers have a trait that used to work lke resistance. It will probably get changed to “x seconds of resistance.”

“Taunt” screams “warrior shout”. Just saying.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Xenesis.6389

The new boon temporarily stops the condition, but you will still need to get rid of it.

“For example, if a character is running in fear with the fear condition, they’ll stop running in fear when resistance is placed on them. When resistance ends, they’ll resume running in fear. "

I’m assuming the new boon stops the condition completely, it’s effect and timer, once the boon wears off the condition resumes at the same stack and timer it stopped at.

All the new boon will do is delay the conditions long enough so that you can get a cleanse off. Fine for a zerg, roaming is a different matter. When you get condition bombed with 8-10 conditions and most classes have the ability to clear 1-3 at a time once every 20-45 seconds you are going to run into problems.

With it being a stackable boon I wouldn’t expect it to last more than 5 sec maxed out.
I’m just saying if they going to keep adding in conditions for the future they might want to start giving proper counters to them. Most of the condition cleanses were implemented at a time to balance to a certain amount of conditions in the game, torment had been added, another version of chill(slow) is coming, and who knows what else in the expansion.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

The arms race continues….

Power creep for cleanes/condis?!?! Who would have thought?

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

I’m assuming the new boon stops the condition completely, it’s effect and timer, once the boon wears off the condition resumes at the same stack and timer it stopped at.

The reference to the Warrior’s Berserker’s Stance and how that functions actually implies immunity to conditions for “x” seconds. In other words, no damage and no effects while the Resistance boon is up. I implied this to mean that the duration effect clock still keeps ticking while this boon is up so the the Fear condition continues as well.

If the boon expires (or is removed), then the Fear would continue with its effect as normal if any time remained.

The Resistance Boon sounds like a great counter to an ever-increasing heavy variety of condition meta but only if its tied to low cooldown utilities.

Single condition removal utilities/abilities are becoming even more laughable. Maybe this boon will be sprinkled everywhere instead.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

The reference to the Warrior’s Berserker’s Stance and how that functions actually implies immunity to conditions for “x” seconds. In other words, no damage and no effects while the Resistance boon is up. I implied this to mean that the duration effect clock still keeps ticking while this boon is up so the the Fear condition continues as well.

If the boon expires (or is removed), then the Fear would continue with its effect as normal.

The Resistance Boon sounds like a great counter to an ever-increasing heavy variety of condition meta but only if its tied to low cooldown utilities.

Single condition removal utilities/abilities are becoming even more laughable.

By the Khan-Ur, what if they add this to the healing abilities that suck?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

So, I’m going to be so kittening kittened if the guardian spec doesnt get most of the Taunt inflicting skills. GW2 has needed aggro management much more clearly defined than “hit harder or wear a shield” for a while.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

…another version of chill(slow) is coming, and who knows what else in the expansion.

Just want to clarify this, chill only affects movement and skill cooldown, while slow only affects cast animation times, so they have zero in common

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

So, I’m going to be so kittening kittened if the guardian spec doesnt get most of the Taunt inflicting skills. GW2 has needed aggro management much more clearly defined than “hit harder or wear a shield” for a while.

Its not what you think it is bud its a reverese fear cc not a aggro mangement skill

Xenesis.6389

…another version of chill(slow) is coming, and who knows what else in the expansion.

Just want to clarify this, chill only affects movement and skill cooldown, while slow only affects cast animation times, so they have zero in common

Yes one slows down your cooldown time, the other slows down your casting time. They’re both slowing down your use of skills.

I can’t wait to get bombed with immobilize, chill, and slow at the same time, should be a glorious keyboard out the window moment.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Probably.

Mesmers have a trait that is similar to taunt, it will probably get turned into taunt.
Mesmer’s specialty is Chronomancer so it will probably get slows.

Engineers have a trait that used to work lke resistance. It will probably get changed to “x seconds of resistance.”

“Taunt” screams “warrior shout”. Just saying.

or the GW2 version of this elite http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Tease

I still want a condition that replicates http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Reckless_Haste

Taunt will be useless against champions?

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

They don’t really need to add more but they do need to change how they work and allow players to manipulate others. I think that’s what they are trying to do in HOT.

Aidan Savage.2078

Its not what you think it is bud its a reverese fear cc not a aggro mangement skill

“Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets”

If it’s a reverse fear, then by it’s very effect it’s forcing enemies to come to YOU and not your allies. It does not prevent things from attacking either, it forces whatever you taunted to attack you, not your allies. If that’s not aggro management, then I need to see if I really have played mmos for the last 16 years.

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

Maybe some of the Vulnerability and Weakness abilities will get the new condis added to them.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

“…it will force the taunted player to run toward their target…”

Like Linken said, this is not the ‘taunt’ mechanic that you think it is. It will only be useful that way if you are already the enemy’s target. If you’re trying to roleplay a ‘tank’, chances are, you’re not gonna have the enemy’s aggro anyway b/c GW2 doesn’t work like that. It doesn’t matter how many games you’ve played or for how long you’ve played them. GW2 is not those games. This will be used for player disruption/control (as is stated) and not as a tank/aggro mechanic.

Is definitely gonna be interesting to see all the QQ threads about it’s synergy with chill, confusion, torment, and ground targeted AoE though.

Also, it states ‘using auto attack’. How in the world will that work with a ground targeted AA like Engi nades? Will Engi go into violent made tossing spasms hurling death all around them? O.o

Khisanth.2948

Given that it is a CC chances are that you can’t spam it much. You could use it as a form of interrupt with added risk to yourself but you won’t be able to get a mob glued to you like aggro management in other games would allow.

Also, it states ‘using auto attack’. How in the world will that work with a ground targeted AA like Engi nades? Will Engi go into violent made tossing spasms hurling death all around them? O.o

Either nothing or you can continue to use the #1 skill normally.

with their skill bar locked—minus stun breakers—and only use their autoattack skill to attack

That sounds like the #1 and stun breaks will be left alone. Alternatively it can also force kits to deactivate and you would end up autoattacking with whichever weapons is equipped.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Sounds like its going to be utterly godawful in pvp-land. Glad I don’t have any investment in pvp.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Sounds like its going to be utterly godawful in pvp-land. Glad I don’t have any investment in pvp.

Especially if you need to buy an expansion in order to have access to those new boons and conditions.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Especially if you need to buy an expansion in order to have access to those new boons and conditions.

Foof. I hadn’t even thought of that yet. You’re right.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Silalus.8760

Silalus.8760

“Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets”

If it’s a reverse fear, then by it’s very effect it’s forcing enemies to come to YOU and not your allies. It does not prevent things from attacking either, it forces whatever you taunted to attack you, not your allies. If that’s not aggro management, then I need to see if I really have played mmos for the last 16 years.

In virtually all those other MMO’s a taunt for a tank class forces a temporary change of targets (which you are correct is very similar to this) but it also sets the threat/hate/aggro of the tank to just above the current highest position on the mob’s target list. This does not, as far as we know, do anything to the target list.

In those few games I’ve played where a taunt doesn’t do that, where it is only temporary, it is used in conjunction with other threat/hate/aggro building skills to achieve the same effect. As far as we know these are not being added to GW2.

To my mind that means it doesn’t look like this version of a taunt is any form of aggro management, because it is far too temporary. It is just crowd control that superficially resembles aggro management.

Frankly I hope Anet considers changing the name of the skill prior to release, because the term is far too consistently used in other MMO’s to be anything but confusing in GW2.

Aidan Savage.2078

While true, do know there IS a difference between management and control in this regard. The best we’ve got is simple stat-based management (pvt+shield or high damage for example), but with the addition of taunts, we’re given more control over aggro management, but still short of control. Currently, I only see it working as a reactionary management as opposed to wearing a shield being a more “actively passive” sort of management. Kinda like one of those things you wouldnt waste on trash, but use it to prevent a boss splattering a party member, like AD does in clifftop.

Until we know more though, I dont think taunt would be as short a duration as fear, but not excessively long either.

Khisanth.2948

but use it to prevent a boss splattering a party member, like AD does in clifftop.

Except the boss will have defiant and ignore your taunt.

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Loads of things have slow, it’s called chill. It does literally the same thing as chill only without the movement slowing effect. Both increase the cooldown of abilities.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Khisanth.2948

Loads of things have slow, it’s called chill. It does literally the same thing as chill only without the movement slowing effect. Both increase the cooldown of abilities.

They are not the same.

For example if you slap a 2s chill on an elementalist and then the elementalist uses Churning Earth the chill will have no impact on the Churning Earth since the channel time is longer than 2s. On the other hand a 2s slow in the same situation would cause the elementalist to stand around channeling Churning Earth for an extra second(assuming I did the math correctly).

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Increasing the cool down of abilities=/=increasing the cast/aftercast times of abilities
Chill=/=Slow

Aidan Savage.2078

but use it to prevent a boss splattering a party member, like AD does in clifftop.

Except the boss will have defiant and ignore your taunt.

Only if you run with crap parties. Whenever I’ve run fractals, I dont do it outside of my guild. As a general rule, we dont spam CC like commercials on youtube. We leave no more than 1 stack on it at any given time, and use communication to let others know when we’re stripping defiance, or using CC on the boss.

Also, that’s IF defiance applies to status effects, which Taunt is.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

Also, that’s IF defiance applies to status effects, which Taunt is.

Defiance applies to status effects. ‘Stun’ and ‘Daze’ are status effects, are they not? They certainly aren’t conditions.

Posted by: ThFH.6048

ThFH.6048

What I am worried about with these new conditions if do the old professions only get them in the specialisation and the Revenant in both it’s base class from 1-80 and in its specialisation. If so I think this creates an unfair advantage for new players who play a Revenant compared to an old profession since they get the more complete set of conditions and boons.
Also if the old base professions won’t get these conditions and boons ArenaNet will force players into the specialisations to get them something which will lower the build diversity.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Foof. I hadn’t even thought of that yet. You’re right.

Well, since precursor crafting will be a mastery thing only available to people who buy the xpac i don’t see what would motivate Anet to open any of the new conditions/buffs to the older classes either. The older classes have stun breakers and they can be given boons, so there is no reason for anet to make it available to any class that isn’t new/specialization.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Riku.4821

Riku.4821

“New boons, conditions, and status effects have been added to the revenant as well as spread across other professions’ specializations. These are cool ways we’ll allow players to interact with new types of skills in our combat system.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/revenant-the-master-of-the-mists/

Guild Leader of Lunar Tree[LT].
Officer of Power Overwhelming[ZERK].
First term Forum PvE Specialist.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

“New boons, conditions, and status effects have been added to the revenant as well as spread across other professions’ specializations. These are cool ways we’ll allow players to interact with new types of skills in our combat system.”

Thanks for snagging the quote. I knew i read it someplace. There you have it folks. So if you want them, you’re gonna have to buy it.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Thanks for snagging the quote. I knew i read it someplace. There you have it folks. So if you want them, you’re gonna have to buy it.

Last I heard, there was no confirmation that specializations would only be available to people who purchase the expansion. I think doing that would be a bad move, and I’ve said for a while that a paid expansion would suffer from fragmentation problems like this. It would not be a good idea for them to add new combat mechanics available to every profession, but only if you buy the expansion… then you would encounter people in PvP who are not on even ground with you, and that sounds to me like something ANet would try to avoid.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Khisanth.2948

Last I heard, there was no confirmation that specializations would only be available to people who purchase the expansion. I think doing that would be a bad move, and I’ve said for a while that a paid expansion would suffer from fragmentation problems like this. It would not be a good idea for them to add new combat mechanics available to every profession, but only if you buy the expansion… then you would encounter people in PvP who are not on even ground with you, and that sounds to me like something ANet would try to avoid.

They didn’t seem to have much problem with doing that with Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

They didn’t seem to have much problem with doing that with Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North.

Guess I should have clarified I was talking about the ANet of today, which is almost completely a different group of people… one that has made a pretty concerted effort to keep all players on (more or less) equal footing in PvP.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)