Will buying HoT be mandatory? (like in WoW)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tomer.4098

Tomer.4098

and how much will it be?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You will still be able to keep playing without buying HoT.
You will not get access to certain HoT specific things however. Such as the Masteries and the Elite Specializations. Nor the new areas (I would assume).

As for cost we do not know. But I would guess somewhere between $39,99 and $59,99 for the standard version.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

The aim is for people with HoT and people without HoT to be equally competitive, those with HoT will have more options (because of the Revenant and because of elite specializations) but they will not have a higher level cap or access to a higher gear tier.

Posted by: Tomer.4098

Tomer.4098

You will not get access to certain HoT specific things however. Such as the Masteries and the Elite Specializations. Nor the new areas (I would assume).

As for cost we do not know. But I would guess somewhere between $39,99 and $59,99 for the standard version.

Really? that expensive??

lordkrall.7241

Really? that expensive??

That is standard price for MMO expansions at release.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Expensive? Lol what? I paid gw2 around 40 euros in store if i recall right.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Really? that expensive??

That is standard price for MMO expansions at release.

I’d pay that much for a new stand-alone campaign. Well. I would have, before 2014.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Really? that expensive??

Nobody really knows. It could be free. It could be a million dollars. All we can do is guess based on what we have seen vs similar things. Assuming multiple editions I would be surprised at any number lower than $20 for the no-frills one but I am just guessing too.

lordkrall.7241

Nobody really knows. It could be free. It could be a million dollars. All we can do is guess based on what we have seen vs similar things. Assuming multiple editions I would be surprised at any number lower than $20 for the no-frills one but I am just guessing too.

Actually we know for a fact that it won’t be free.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Menadena.7482

I was just being facetious in saying we do not know price info at all so any number from us is just a guess. One penny as the lower limit then.

Posted by: Sparks The Rescue.5043

Sparks The Rescue.5043

I’m sure HoT will not be mandatory to buy, but I imagine it’s going to have the likes of how GW:EN was when it was released for Guild Wars 1. GW:EN was not required, but when it came down to it, I practically had to buy it. I wasn’t able to run any meta builds (because of quite frankly how OP was the EoTN skills were), no parties wanted me because I lacked these skills and could not fill out the standard meta builds, and I had a severe lack of access to improved content (builds, skills, heroes, etc) which had a very detrimental impact to my characters.

Posted by: Crossflip.4390

Crossflip.4390

Question 1: Yes
Question 2: Unknown as yet, assume between 20-40 bucks

lordkrall.7241

How is it mandatory?
You will still be able to play everything currently available in the game without HoT.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

The expansions were never required in WoW.

And as for price, using LS2 pricing as a comparison, it should cost around what was said earlier, $40-$60.

(edited by BrooksP.4318)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Not sure what you mean by mandatory. None of WoW’s expansions were mandatory.

They were mandatory if you wanted to participate in the expansion content, but there were enough people who played vanilla WoW without upgrading to BC and so on.

Will you require HoT to access the expansion content. Sure, oherwise why sell an expansion?

Will you still have access to the game and everything you have access to now? Yes, so the expansion by all definitions is not mandatory.

Mandatory expansions are ones were you lose access to the game due to server version and your version being different.

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

Not sure what you mean by mandatory. None of WoW’s expansions were mandatory.

They were mandatory if you wanted to participate in the expansion content, but there were enough people who played vanilla WoW without upgrading to BC and so on.

Mandatory expansions are ones were you lose access to the game due to server version and your version being different.

“Mandatory” would be an expansion that puts you at a significant disadvantage to everyone that buys it. WoW expansions were like this, HoT will not be. ANet has said multiple times that HoT will give more options, but not better or more competitive options.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

We’ll find out when the 2nd expansion comes out. If you need HoT to play that, then HoT is mandatory.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

We’ll find out when the 2nd expansion comes out. If you need HoT to play that, then HoT is mandatory.

I think i remember hearing(in a gw2 video) that any thing that comes out after HOT will require you to have HOT? Maybe?

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

All specializations I see as alternate play styles. If they are not, then they are improved versions of what we already have (only unlikely exception being a future spec that sucks so bad it detracts from the original). So, not buying HoT means we lose or miss out on the best of over half of all potential play styles if we have no access to specializations. Forgive me if it’s a bit presumptuous, but this sounds like it will hurt competitively.

Not that I wouldn’t buy the expansion. I’m not spending $60 cuz I’m a college going Scrooge, but I love this game and the work being put into the expansion. Moment I find it a decent price I’ll be joining everyone else.

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

All specializations I see as alternate play styles. If they are not, then they are improved versions of what we already have (only unlikely exception being a future spec that sucks so bad it detracts from the original). So, not buying HoT means we lose or miss out on the best of over half of all potential play styles if we have no access to specializations. Forgive me if it’s a bit presumptuous, but this sounds like it will hurt competitively.

Not that I wouldn’t buy the expansion. I’m not spending $60 cuz I’m a college going Scrooge, but I love this game and the work being put into the expansion. Moment I find it a decent price I’ll be joining everyone else.

1) ANet stated that the goal is for elite specializations to be different, not better. If they do this successfully then there’s no worry. So far the elites don’t seem to break anything, as there are distinct benefits and drawbacks.

2) Personally expecting 30-40$ based on absolutely nothing. Charging the same price as the base game is absolutely silly to expect though.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

No it will not be mandatory. I, for example, am currently not intending to buy it. The price has not yet been revealed.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The new Elite specs will be exclusive to HoT, not the new core specializations. There was a statement that those will be added to the core game before HoT releases.

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

I’m more worried about if it’ll be worth spending the money on than how much it costs. If it’s just basically another Dry Top or Silverwastes with a few added weapon skills then idk lol.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I think i remember hearing(in a gw2 video) that any thing that comes out after HOT will require you to have HOT? Maybe?

That was regarding LS updates. Basically if you don’t get HoT then no more content updates for you unless you are playing mainly WvW and PvP in which case no problem, you still get updates.

Dante.1763

That was regarding LS updates. Basically if you don’t get HoT then no more content updates for you unless you are playing mainly WvW and PvP in which case no problem, you still get updates.

Aw okay then, still though, needed for more LS stuff, which im sure is how they are going to build up for their next expansion, if they do another.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Khisanth.2948

I’m more worried about if it’ll be worth spending the money on than how much it costs. If it’s just basically another Dry Top or Silverwastes with a few added weapon skills then idk lol.

Yeah … right now HoT sounds like it is either FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from completion or extremely lackluster.

lordkrall.7241

People are aware that we didn’t really know much more than this before original release as well, right?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

People are aware that we didn’t really know much more than this before original release as well, right?

We knew more before the original release because there was more to know.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

lordkrall.7241

But how much more did we really know?
The vast majority of the content of the game were completely unknown until the game was actually released.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Khisanth.2948

There were at least more “hey this sounds really fun and interesting”. Some of those things didn’t really pan out but that is more about the game not fulfilling its potential.

Then again some of that lack of excitement is because it is being tempered by those previous failures.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

How is it mandatory?
You will still be able to play everything currently available in the game without HoT.

We’ve been told that future Living World content will require HoT. So it’s mandatory “if you want to experience any future story content” it seems.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

1. Yes it is mandatory in the same way WoW is mandatory. All future content will require HoT to play, you will be at a significant disadvantage in both mats/economics, cosmetics, and story.

2. Probably $10-25 based on the amount of content being given to us.

Edit: actually it will be worse than WoW since you will be at a disadvantage in PvP without access to specializations. So it will be MORE mandatory than WoW is.

(edited by ZudetGambeous.9573)

Dante.1763

Edit: actually it will be worse than WoW since you will be at a disadvantage in PvP without access to specializations. So it will be MORE mandatory than WoW is.

Not quite true. Some Specs are going to be used in PVP and theres already debates going on…on the few released already if they will be viable or not. Time will tell, but i could see them just being a different way to play, not better, or worse. if done right of course.

ZudetGambeous.9573

Not quite true. Some Specs are going to be used in PVP and theres already debates going on…on the few released already if they will be viable or not. Time will tell, but i could see them just being a different way to play, not better, or worse. if done right of course.

Yes because Anet is the master of balance and quickly change any problems and never ever introduce more powerful things later on….

Menadena.7482

Simple answer to the question.

Everyone who will not be getting the expansion raise your hand.

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

1) ANet stated that the goal is for elite specializations to be different, not better. If they do this successfully then there’s no worry. So far the elites don’t seem to break anything, as there are distinct benefits and drawbacks.

This response changes nothing from what I said. If all the specializations are different, then each specialization bring options people who didn’t buy the expansion won’t have.

Or I could just be terribly confused… What’s the difference between elite specializations and core specializations?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

1. Yes it is mandatory in the same way WoW is mandatory. All future content will require HoT to play, you will be at a significant disadvantage in both mats/economics, cosmetics, and story.

Except that in a wow expansion the level cap goes up, and that would put you at a disadvantage in WoW PvP if I’m not mistaken.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

On topic:

You will still be able to play the base game and all it’s contents if you decide not to get HoT. Obviously anything HoT related will be locked away/not playable until you have bought that X-PAC.

I do wonder though if running around as a revenant will be a thing against players who have not bought HoT? Don’t know if there’s any unbalance there but still.

Vaguely on topic:

Guys come on, wake up. This is 2015. Please name 5 fully detailed, content-packed expansions released in the last 5 years under massive game companies in regards to mega popular games that were priced at $20 or less.

There’s probably not many. At all.

Guess what.

Age of Mythology was a popular old strategy game from ages ago and is sill being sold in stores to this day for around $20. That’s an old game. Your shiny new HoT X-Pac ain’t gonna cost $20. It WILL cost above $35 AT THE LEAST. And I’m not saying this because that’s how much I’d pay for it, no – I’d be willing to pay whatever price.. That’s aside the point though – but simply seeing all the EXPENSIVE COUGH $40+ price range COUGH popular game X-Pacs being released over the recent years won’t be making HoT’s price tag any cheaper, kids.

I bought GW2 for $50 AUD a year after release. I am not sure what the original price tag for it upon release was (probably $70+?) but X-Pacs are generally going to be on par with the base game price or a little under. LITTLE.

I’m laughing at people stating HoT better be within $15-$20. It’s almost cringeworthy.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

How is it mandatory?

As mandatory as in WoW – which was the question. That means you won’t be forced to buy HoT in order to continue playing the game, but the devs assumption would be that everyone really playing it would buy the expansion (and the remainder can safely be ignored).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If you don’t buy it I will come to your house and you know what happens from there. Yes it is mandatory. Rules are rules.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Or I could just be terribly confused… What’s the difference between elite specializations and core specializations?

The differences are the following:
1) Core specializations are available to everyone, elite specializations are only available to those with the expansion.
2) You can either use 3 core specializations or 2 core specializations and 1 elite specialization. This doesn’t matter yet but it will when Anet introduces more elite specializations at some point in time after HoT.
3) Using an elite specialization changes your profession name (and also profession icon I think), while using a core specialization does not.
4) Using an elite specialization gives access to an additional weapon and additional healing/utility/elite skills, a core specialization does not.
5) Elite specializations somewhat change a profession’s profession mechanic, a core specialization does not.

(edited by Diovid.9506)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

If you plan on playing GW2 after HoT, yes its “mandatory”. Its silly to think otherwise. Imagine buying WoW today and just getting the original, because why the heck do you even need the expansions?!

I am hoping that Anet will use price to leverage player acceptance… selling it for $50+ would be kittened. but you never know.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Except that in a wow expansion the level cap goes up, and that would put you at a disadvantage in WoW PvP if I’m not mistaken.

WoW PVP was balanced on level ranges, which the level cap pre-expansion was the pvp cap after expansion. So if the pre-expansion cap was 70, then 70 would be the cap of that tier and anyone above that would be in a different ladder. Other then alts or new races you wouldn’t be at a disadvantage. Which oddly enough depending on how they balanced the specializations in GW2 it maybe worse than WoW asfar as a disadvantage.

But in regards to it being mandatory, technically no.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Really? that expensive??

Well we don’t know so it’s all guesstimates.

I was just being facetious in saying we do not know price info at all so any number from us is just a guess. One penny as the lower limit then.

We don’t have pennies around here, so that would be awkward.

Yeah … right now HoT sounds like it is either FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from completion or extremely lackluster.

So just wait until it’s released and reviews come out and you know for certain? Seriously pre-order culture…

ZudetGambeous.9573

WoW tiers their PvP, or at least they did when I played. Levels 1-20 are a tier, 20-30, 30-40, etc…. 80, 81-84, 85, 86-89, 90.

If you don’t buy their expansions then you just stay in your tier. Granted there are a lot less players since most of the players do buy the expansion, but you won’t be at a disadvantage.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

WoW tiers their PvP, or at least they did when I played. Levels 1-20 are a tier, 20-30, 30-40, etc…. 80, 81-84, 85, 86-89, 90.

If you don’t buy their expansions then you just stay in your tier. Granted there are a lot less players since most of the players do buy the expansion, but you won’t be at a disadvantage.

I’ve never played WoW but I heard they had world PvP. If you don’t buy the expansion, not only can you not get to the new areas with the new world PvP but you’re at least 10 levels below max. And can’t the new max levels still go to the old areas and beat up the players there? World PvP is still PvP and not buying the expansion puts those players permanently at a disadvantage,

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

So tired of people asking stupid questions about HoT. Why do people even need to worry about this stuff it makes no sense. Just buy the expansion if you do not like it you can go back to the regular game. Unlike others I do not think HoT will be any where near the price of a so called standard expansion. I would go more with $10-20 where of course $20 is the better version.

Arenanet seems to want people to play their games and just want to give a great product for everyone. Maybe they don’t do everything perfect but one thing they do is try new things others don’t. Also remember one thing Living Story was suppose to be the expansions for GW2. Because of the players they are making the HoT expansion. Arenanet is not your typical developer so they do not follow the so called MMO rules others have set.

There will be changes before HoT comes out the Traits will change to the new system if you do not get HoT then you will have I think 3 trait lines you can use. The same will be for HoT players but one will be able to use the specializations as the 3rd one.

WvW will have new maps which will be available for anyone HoT or otherwise. These maps will have places that will help defend you as you control it. It if I remember right will be on a rotation.

PvP will have both Hot players and regular players in it not sure how that will come out, but the HoT players will have more build diversity than the regular GW2 player.

What you will be missing is the start of one of the best ideas in my opinion. A system that keeps your hard earned leveling and armor the same while improving your abilities at the same time.
You will get Masteries (a new system that lets u gain knowledge for your account to be able to defeat the dragons, craft precursors, glide better, use jumping mushrooms better, and learn new languages.)
Specializations. ( a new system that lets your character have more than one profession and abilitys for both)
A new 3 level area to explore that is not as large in area as a regular expansion, but is suppose to be as large or larger in content due to the three levels of it.
A new profession the Revenant.

So no you do not need to buy HoT? No, but I think you will end up with it anyway out of jealousy of other players. Should you have to pay for it? Yes because they put a lot of work into it for everyone.

Your choice either buy it or not up to you.
Oh yea specialties and Masteries are said to be only the first of many so having HoT will be a good thing for that.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I think it will cost either $29.99 or $39.99.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer