Will forums ever have a good search function?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ehjhey.1894

ehjhey.1894

Seriously. Since day one this forum search here hasn’t been very useful. Barely turns up any results (if any) for quite a few terms. Is there something i’ve been not understanding about the search function since the first week? Are there any plans to change it?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

No.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Forum-s-search-feature-doesn-t-work-A-tip/first#post4612877

The problem is deep within the technology behind the forum structure itself. Yes, we had a search engine in the beginning, but it was broken by our forum contractor in the course of working on other things. We no longer have a relationship with that contractor or his company, and someone else is not able to step into the system and fix the search engine because (1) our programmers are tasked with other essential work, (2) the forums run on a web framework with which most of our programmers are not familiar and (3) we’re investigating other options for forums and it would not be prudent to pour money into hiring someone to fix this as a short-term solution.

Though Anet (un)official reddit forum has search. Anet devs post there.

But if insist on search the official forum I use this page some person made that make google search for each part of forum.

http://www.palingenesis.webspace.virginmedia.com/Tim/GW2/GW2ForumSearch/GW2ForumSearch.html

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

No need for search when it’s all complaint threads anyways. :

Posted by: ehjhey.1894

ehjhey.1894

No.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Forum-s-search-feature-doesn-t-work-A-tip/first#post4612877

The problem is deep within the technology behind the forum structure itself. Yes, we had a search engine in the beginning, but it was broken by our forum contractor in the course of working on other things. We no longer have a relationship with that contractor or his company, and someone else is not able to step into the system and fix the search engine because (1) our programmers are tasked with other essential work, (2) the forums run on a web framework with which most of our programmers are not familiar and (3) we’re investigating other options for forums and it would not be prudent to pour money into hiring someone to fix this as a short-term solution.

But if insist on search the official forum I use this page some person made that make google search for each part of forum.

http://www.palingenesis.webspace.virginmedia.com/Tim/GW2/GW2ForumSearch/GW2ForumSearch.html

Thanks for the link. Works great an I’ll save it. A shame anet didn’t get somebody in house to handle all their web coding

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

No need for search when it’s all complaint threads anyways. :

And certainly no point searching in the hope of finding any Anet dev posts actually discussing things with their customers like they do daily on Reddit, because there haven’t been any of consequence for a very long time.

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

No.

Thanks for the link. Works great an I’ll save it. A shame anet didn’t get somebody in house to handle all their web coding

My experience of web ‘developers’ is that 99.9% wouldn’t have clue how to construct something like a forum system, most barely have a decent grasp of HTML and PHP/Python/whateverisflavorofthemonth.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A shame anet didn’t get somebody in house to handle all their web coding

Oh no, it probably would have been worse (based on the in-game web pages we’ve seen).

Incidentally, google (or really any major search engine) works better than all but a few search tools built into existing forums. For google, use:

site:forum-en.guildwars2.com inurl:forum “forum search”

(and replace what’s in the quotes)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

There are so many forums already out there that actually work well. If they can’t make these better, why not change to something else.

Not gonna lie, these forums are the most clunky and useless of any I’ve ever seen. It would be nice to have something that works.

Then again, as with the game, everything basically works, it just has annoying little ‘features’. Probably wouldn’t be an ArenaNet product without those…