Will guild limit ever be raised above five?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Question is in topic; the last time people asked this was prior to the megaservers thing being announced, so will the number of guilds an account can join ever be raised to more than five?

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Guilds should be limited to one per character imo, and make some sort of a “group chat” for those who want to be able to chat with their friends and familiy in a single chat.

Every single guild I’ve joined to date have been mostly inactive members, with some exceptions.

Having multiple guilds is just bad in terms of community. If you can’t commit to one guild why join it.

Edit; For those of you who are going to bash my arguments and how multiple guilds are good. Log in and check out all the guilds you have been a member in for more than 6 months.

(edited by Pandeh.5248)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They need alliances like Guild Wars 1 with alliance chat. There are multiple advantages to this. Populating chat, friends in different guilds can chat easily. Guild missions would be easier to do for the smaller guilds if they could call in alliance members to rep and help out. Easier to get help for skill points guarded by champs, etc.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I agree, limit guilds to one per character. That is still plenty, since you can just use alts to gather guild commendations on the weekends or whatever.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

I agree with Pandeh.5248. Limit guilds to one per character, add a “linkshell” like system, and buff that chat box to handle multiple chats better.

Posted by: Welcometotheden.8547

Welcometotheden.8547

I really like the ‘alliance’ idea. Our guild is only six strong; just friends and family. We mainly run the various game components together and have made a couple of quirky offshoot guilds (one guild just of engineers, for example), but obviously, also small. If we could align with a larger guild to assist with events, WvW, PvP, etc and not have to leave the cozy confines of our own guild, we’d be ecstatic to be able to help out. I can only imagine other small guilds signing up to help out the larger guilds with these various tasks.

~ The Cult of the Six Symbols ~

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’d love more than 5 guilds. I have two bank/storage guilds taking up my spots, and I’d love to be able to join a RP guild and have another bank spot in addition to my social guilds.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

I really like the ‘alliance’ idea. Our guild is only six strong; just friends and family. We mainly run the various game components together and have made a couple of quirky offshoot guilds (one guild just of engineers, for example), but obviously, also small. If we could align with a larger guild to assist with events, WvW, PvP, etc and not have to leave the cozy confines of our own guild, we’d be ecstatic to be able to help out. I can only imagine other small guilds signing up to help out the larger guilds with these various tasks.

Hey there, you sound like my demographic for this question.

So if we had an alliance system and the ability to make group chats where you could add 10-15 people(These would act as mini guilds and would not disappear when logged off).

Now though, you would only be able to be in one guild(per character/imo it should be per account but that will never happen).

Would this be a positive change?

Posted by: Fenar.4025

Fenar.4025

Don’t fix what isn’t broken. If a guild wants exclusive members they can just require 100% representation. I’ve been in plenty of guilds like that.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

The reason behind multiple guilds is so that players can join multiple guilds of multiple playstyles.

I am in one Server Guild (No-one reps they just use it for the bank vault in WvW)

I am in my main Guild(it is a Small Guild), I have my personal Storage Guild(May be deleting it after the update). I am also in two large guilds. I think the limit to 5 is reasonable. I would not mind it being increased but do not think that it should be decreased as there are valid reasons to be in two guilds. For example: 1 small guild with a group of friends. 1 large guild that you have not quite got entrenched into.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Having multiple guilds is just bad in terms of community. If you can’t commit to one guild why join it.

Edit; For those of you who are going to bash my arguments and how multiple guilds are good. Log in and check out all the guilds you have been a member in for more than 6 months.

Actually, aside from one mostly-dead guild that I’m clinging on to mostly for RP reasons, I rep all four of the other guilds I’m in quite regularly, each for a different purpose, each on multiple characters (with a lot of overlap) and at different times. There are specialized guilds like TTS, and even super-specialized guilds like themed RP guilds (I think very few people want to be Inquest members all the time!). I rep TTS for when I want to fight a big boss or go rampage through Southsun, but that doesn’t mean I want to do everything with TTS— and indeed, if everyone in every TTS guild repped 100%, it would be sheer chaos (and would require recruiting a lot more leaders, as some leaders help manage multiple TTS guilds). I rep Harlots and Harlequins when I’m acting in an in-game theatrical production or discussing plays and in-game music.

Do you expect one guild to do both of those things? World bosses AND musical theatre? Those are some pretty high standards right there.

Besides, if your guild has standards for how often people rep and they don’t meet those standards, the leaders can just kick ‘em. 100%-rep guilds police themselves just fine without needing anything set down in stone by ANet. It’s quite possible for people who like low-rep novelty guilds and people who only want 100%-rep do-everything-together guilds to coexist peacefully; you just have to be able to enforce and abide by your own rules.

I honestly hope they increase the number of guilds you can be in in conjunction with the Megaserver thing, to grant players increased control over their own placement through guild repping and to allow people to keep track of others with the same interests more easily. It seems like a logical thing to do.

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Still waiting for it, honestly, at this point, I would pay in gemstore for guild slot upgrade. o_O

Regarding the “commit to one guild”, I’m not in any guilds which require 100% commitment (obviously), however, each one has a different circle of friends inside, with one being my personal guild bank.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

The ability to join multiple guilds on this game is ridiculous. Very simply, it discourages guild loyalty and defeats the entire purpose of joining a guild in the first place.

Guilds are supposed to be a dedicated, close knit group of people. An ideal scenario would be a flourishing, active community in-game AND outside of the game, supported by communication programs such as IRC/forums/voice. The system now? Guilds having half the people not representing. Highly inactive/non-existent offsite interaction. Guilds are typically a hi-bye affair in the game.

People who say “I represent this guild today for WvW, then that guild tomorrow for PvE” – this isn’t how guilds are supposed to work. Guilds are groups where people do different things together – not a “I come as I like” place. People who represent different guilds on different days as and when they like are akin to clan-hoppers.

But obviously, this isn’t just the fault of guild hoppers alone. The guild system design in this game is absolutely horrible – they want people to know as many different groups of people as possible, but they do not allow players to participate in the chat of guilds they are not representing. This, to me is the biggest problem about the guild system, because it renders useless the participation of a player, simply because he/she does not know what is happening in other guilds.

Basically – you don’t have to represent different guilds when you’re doing different activities. So what if one guild is better than another at PvE? Does it really matter to “roll with the best”? Does it really matter if you spent 15-30 more minutes doing a dungeon with another guild which is better at its community aspect/ WvW?

In my opinion anyway.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

I don’t understand why people need to be members of more then one guild and if they need more then 1 why anyone need more then 5? If i choose the guild i stick to it.

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Being able to see the guild chat of all the guilds you belong to would be a huge step forward. Atm multi guilding is pretty much pointless as all you effectively do is leave one guild and join another

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

But having only one guild would rob me of my personal guild vault…

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Guilds should be limited to one per character imo, and make some sort of a “group chat” for those who want to be able to chat with their friends and familiy in a single chat.

Every single guild I’ve joined to date have been mostly inactive members, with some exceptions.

Multiple guilds would be just fine with only one addition to the game: being able to read guild chat for all guilds you are a member of, not just the one you are representing.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Posted by: TheKow.7604

TheKow.7604

The concept of only 1 guild is flawed. Look at Elder Scrolls and actual medieval times a guild is a set group of individuals with set skills and there members can belong to a multitude of other guilds of other skills they have like a skilled swordsmen is also a skilled carpenter.

Having the option to exchange witch guild one can talk to at will doesn’t discourage anything it just lets people have more free will to enjoy RP,PvE,PvP, etc focused guilds in players they wish to engage. If you are so self entitled and loyal to another person like a sheep there is no reason to force your sheep views on others and demand only 1 guild per character. There are guilds that require 100% rep and there are those that are encourage freedom and social interactions that a good guild would be promoting in the 1st place.

At any rate I like the 5 limit cap it’s a lot better then the old 3 limit cap and all 3 of the guilds i’m in are active and people come in and talk and go as they wish and is very friendly there’s always something to do.

Kouto 80 Engineer,Traveling Merchant of the Grove.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

Why would you ever need more than 1 guild? So you can be inactive in 4, and be active in 1 all the time? Find a guild you can have a 100% commitment too, they’re amazing and always full of helpful people/tons of events.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Not all guilds are about repping 100% of time. Some are for organising specific events (dungeons runs, teq slaying, pvp, wvw ect) via guild announcements and don’t care about rep or only need you to rep when doing the events.

Also personal bank guild

Joining more than 5 seems like overkill though but I don’t really see the point in restricting it.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

I would love to join more than five guilds. I’m in one for guild missions, one for my personal bank, I’m the GM of one that’s extremely small, I joined two others for pve stuff and I REALLY need space for an rp guild or two – especially ones that are for a particular type of rp (nightmare court, slaying nightmare court, etc).

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I’ve been an advocate of one guild since the start. However a few changes that some have mentioned would make me happier with the current system.

1) Remove repping.
2) Allow better control of chat channels.

This way you can have guild specific chat channels and are always contributing to all your guilds. Guild buffs don’t stack but overlap. I think this would help foster better communities and also get guilds alliances in the works.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

I would love to join more than five guilds. I’m in one for guild missions, one for my personal bank, I’m the GM of one that’s extremely small, I joined two others for pve stuff and I REALLY need space for an rp guild or two – especially ones that are for a particular type of rp (nightmare court, slaying nightmare court, etc).

Just join one guild that has ALL of these things. Tarnished coast guilds have all of the things you listed, and it wouldn’t be too hard to get a position to use the guild bank.

Posted by: Wrenn Haldane.3208

Wrenn Haldane.3208

Finding a good guild in any MMO these days is a very difficult thing to do. Most are large, faceless entities . . basically with a dozen or so “core” players with hundreds of interchangeable minions – or they’re hastily thrown together guilds created because the leader “could” make a guild, without considering if he “should”.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Sounds like if you need more than 5 guilds, the quality of the 5 you have is relatively poor. While having freedom to join multiple guilds can be good. Having no cap or even a high cap will fracture guild populations even more. There needs to be a reachable point that a person must choose to leave or not join a guild.

Been a guild leader for almost a decade now.

At first I didn’t find the rep system particularly good. Without regulation or solid rep policy, it can be devastating to a guild as you can watch your members evaporate without then having actually left. But after learning how to use it to my advantage I think its a good system.

I do have 100% rep rule for all ranks except the entry level rank. The entry level rank is a way to let people try out your guild before that would not normally commit to one, but still regularly contribute to the guild. We have gained more loyal members by being able to provide flexibility, and having a public “guest for our events” system than any other hard recruiting methods in Guild Wars 1 and 2. This is because we keep our squares green.

We have members and we have guests, we don’t let people that only show up for 2 hours for guild missions once a week sit on our roster, we have them request a guest invite every week. Keeping your squares green is important because thats how people measure how active you are.

If you are providing a superior gaming and social experience members will pledge 100% rep on their own and will not need other guilds except for maybe storage purposes. A rep policy can make or break a guild.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Posted by: Deinos Elessar.6789

Deinos Elessar.6789

Sounds like if you need more than 5 guilds, the quality of the 5 you have is relatively poor. While having freedom to join multiple guilds can be good. Having no cap or even a high cap will fracture guild populations even more. There needs to be a reachable point that a person must choose to leave or not join a guild.

At first I didn’t find the rep system particularly good. Without regulation or solid rep policy, it can be devastating to a guild as you can watch your members evaporate without then having actually left. But after learning how to use it to my advantage I think its a good system.

I do have 100% rep rule for all ranks except the entry level rank. The entry level rank is a way to let people try out your guild before that would not normally commit to one, but still regularly contribute to the guild. We have gained more loyal members by being able to provide flexibility, and having a public “guest for our events” system than any other hard recruiting methods in Guild Wars 1 and 2. This is because we keep our squares green.

We have members and we have guests, we don’t let people that only show up for 2 hours for guild missions once a week sit on our roster, we have them request a guest invite every week. Keeping your squares green is important because thats how people measure how active you are.

If you are providing a superior gaming and social experience members will pledge 100% rep on their own and will not need other guilds except for maybe storage purposes. A rep policy can make or break a guild.

This.

I want to play with friends, and to make friends you got to know them more than “when I like and want it”.

OP, find a nice guild where you can feel “at home”.

Server: Piken Square
Guild: Cavalieri Del Destino [CDD]
Guild Site: http://www.cavalierideldestino.com/

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Why are people in so many guilds? I have a hard time keeping track of names/alts in the active guild I’m in now, let alone if I was in 4 others.
I can see having a guild for PvE and one for WvW and maybe sPvP, though thats really drawing lines in separating gameplay.
I’m just curious as to why people are in so many guilds and want to be in more….

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Why are people in so many guilds? I have a hard time keeping track of names/alts in the active guild I’m in now, let alone if I was in 4 others.
I can see having a guild for PvE and one for WvW and maybe sPvP, though thats really drawing lines in separating gameplay.
I’m just curious as to why people are in so many guilds and want to be in more….

From what I have come to understand in my experience, alot of guilds out there are glorified friends lists that have people that just have not found a place that provides the experience they are looking for while fitting in.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Just join one guild that has ALL of these things. Tarnished coast guilds have all of the things you listed, and it wouldn’t be too hard to get a position to use the guild bank.

You say that like its actually easy. There are a ton of guilds that claim to PvX and do everything but most of them only do some things very occasionally (if at all). Then you get very specific events that require a ton of people like Teq. I don’t rp but I would imagine finding a guild that dose the specific rp you are looking for, everything else you want to do, is big enough to always have member wanting to do what you want to do and have guild missions would be near impossible. I use my own guild bank for personal storage not to share it so it isn’t the same as just using a normal guild bank that everyone has access to.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Well, I don’t agree with 100% rep, people have bank guilds, sometimes it’s useful for an extra claim in WvW, and some members are also in one of the big world event guilds.

Our non-officer rank/rep is structured like this:

Inactives: People who haven’t logged in for over a month, will be removed at next review.

Guests: No rep reqs, only a limited number of people allowed at this rank. Will be removed with inactives if they haven’t logged in (no grace period).

Agent: Default rank. If we have an event and you’re doing the same thing (i.e. WvW) you’re expected to be doing so with the guild, and not with another guild or by yourself. Rep encouraged during NA prime-time, not so much during other times.

Lightbringer: Voluntary rank. 99% rep expected, exceptions allowed for bank guilds, world event guilds, etc. This rank is rarely offered, but always granted on request.

We also have an ambassador rank for a select few exempt from rep and inactivity limits, mostly former officers or important people in the community.

During week day prime time we usually have around 30 online with only 3-5 not representing.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

You say that like its actually easy. There are a ton of guilds that claim to PvX and do everything but most of them only do some things very occasionally (if at all). Then you get very specific events that require a ton of people like Teq. I don’t rp but I would imagine finding a guild that dose the specific rp you are looking for, everything else you want to do, is big enough to always have member wanting to do what you want to do and have guild missions would be near impossible. I use my own guild bank for personal storage not to share it so it isn’t the same as just using a normal guild bank that everyone has access to.

Exactly this. I rp and with megaservers coming in I apparently need to be in some sort of regular rp guild (if my understanding of their description is accurate). But I also enjoy doing others events and finding a friendly, active guild that doesn’t require 100% rep (back to how I also want to be in an rp guild) is difficult.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/