Will level cap raise?

Will level cap raise?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

I would prefer they fixed many other things currently wrong before they go add new things, but even still, adding new lvl cap shouldn’t be remotely anywhere near high priority.

It wouldn’t even be anything that should be considered for a long while infact. And it’d turn out to be the same scenario when they added 400-500 ascended crafting, just added grind along with aforementioned.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

Raise?

lol

Better lower the cap to something like 30 or 20 (like in GW1) and change all the zones above 30 to the max level cap and some even above the level cap for difficult end-game zones.

Will make playing in different zones of the world a lot more fun and challenging rather than having the zones between 30 and 70 being utterly useless apart from a few designated events.

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I don’t think there’s any rational, logical, or scientific reason to raise the level cap but if they do raise it I think they should raise it to 350, which will help retain new players who happen to be the Loch Ness Monster.

The table is a fable.

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

They could do what Destiny did. Level 20 gear is the highest level gear, but you can increase your actual level up to 30 with another stat called Light.

For GW2 it could work with infusions. To get to level 90, you need to get to 80, then get Exotic level 80 gear (I would say Ascended, but most people aren’t interested in Ascended, so it would be most fair to allow people to hit 90 with exotics as well), and then as you play you gather certain materials or do certain quests for items that you can use to upgrade your armor (for GW2 it would not increase your actual stats, but rather add an infusion of sorts that levels you from 80 to 81, if you infuse your boots, for example).

A level 80 and a level 90 would have the same exact stats, just the level 90 guys will have access to harder content. To keep things fair, and more in line with GW2, this would be a good opportunity to include Hard-mode. Same dungeons, but mobs are level 90. They hit harder, have more health, etc. Maybe additional conditions.

Maybe hitting level 90 gives a title and you glow faintly or something. Gives something for bored 80s to do, while not limiting content for those who choose not to pursue level 90.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Jaggedrain.6923

Jaggedrain.6923

I’m pretty sure they will raise the level cap with an expansion. And I don’t think it’ll be a huge deal….but yeah, there are definitely pros and cons associated with it.

Hopefully it won’t come with a new tier of gear though.

Then you aren’t thinking. A level cap raise is a huge deal.

We can assume that they will scale up legendaries. We can’t assume the same for Ascended, and it definitely won’t happen for Exotic gear, unless the new levels don’t come with higher level (not higher tier) gear to begin with. The mere idea of the dozens or even hundreds of hours spent gearing characters in Ascended going to waste is frightening, and, for many players, gamebreaking.

But let’s ignore gear for the moment. A new level cap would also add more trait points. That’s a big impact, as it would completely change the number of builds and the strength of these. The balance of the game would completely shift. That’s not necessarily a bad thinig – it might even be a positive – but it’s certainly a huge deal.

Now, if there is no effect gear and/or traits, then the new levels would be fundamentally pointless.

I would like to have higher levels mainly for a feeling of accomplishment. I mean, we’re gaining these levels anyway, would it really be so awful if we had a number saying how many times we’ve levelled above eighty?

Or a separate secondary levelling system like D3’s paragon levels, although that would probably be a lot of work.

(and now I have Leonard Cohen saying "there’s gonna be a meter on your bed that will disclose/ what everybody knows’ and why do these things happen to me?)

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

They could do what Destiny did. Level 20 gear is the highest level gear, but you can increase your actual level up to 30 with another stat called Light.

For GW2 it could work with infusions. To get to level 90, you need to get to 80, then get Exotic level 80 gear (I would say Ascended, but most people aren’t interested in Ascended, so it would be most fair to allow people to hit 90 with exotics as well), and then as you play you gather certain materials or do certain quests for items that you can use to upgrade your armor (for GW2 it would not increase your actual stats, but rather add an infusion of sorts that levels you from 80 to 81, if you infuse your boots, for example).

A level 80 and a level 90 would have the same exact stats, just the level 90 guys will have access to harder content. To keep things fair, and more in line with GW2, this would be a good opportunity to include Hard-mode. Same dungeons, but mobs are level 90. They hit harder, have more health, etc. Maybe additional conditions.

Maybe hitting level 90 gives a title and you glow faintly or something. Gives something for bored 80s to do, while not limiting content for those who choose not to pursue level 90.

That’s acceptable, but it has to be implemented better than the Destiny system.

Destiny (among many other issues) suffers from very restricted customization at endgame, and the Light system is a large part of that. Aesthetically, lower level gear and gear with low Light levels is unusable. On the high end, appealing stats and passives are worthless if they come with a poor Light stat.

Obviously, transmutation will make the aesthetic side of the issue meaningless here, but we can still hit quite a few ruts here. And what gear gives these bonus levels? I would assume that it would be exclusive to Ascended Gear. In which case, it’s basically what Agony Resistance already is.

So, in the end, is the suggestion really nothing more than restructuring Agony Resistance with a better UI feature that lets you estimate a player’s AR at a glance?

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: GazaKnight.8206

GazaKnight.8206

new level cap means, Ascended gear will be pointless, which is not cool, but addding new maps and tasks to existed maps (following the living world) would be nice, and adding new gear skins.
why not adding a legendary armor set ?

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

I don’t think the player level cap should raise, but I do anticipate a gradually increasing level cap for NPCs. In GW1, the max player level was 20 yet the max enemy NPC level was just above 30. With high-level fractals and other hardcore content, we already see enemies go up to level 84 (maybe higher). I’m guessing we’ll eventually fight level 90 enemies, if not up to level 100 someday.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I don’t see any reason to increase the level cap. All content they can add could have been added as level 1 if it was up to me. Level gating is usefull to prevent newbies from going to wrong places but other than that I see it as nothing but a time-drain in games without any benefits. Many games use the excuse of ‘but new zones and skills’ even though they can be introduced without a level cap raise. I think if people want to do the stuff they will do so without a level cap raise. It worked for Dry Top as a zone aswell. With the new wardrobe system I also prefer a lower level cap so I can reach it faster as I don’t customize my characters untill level 80 now (due to transmute charge changes, which are good still but have this as a side effect). I also think that there are a ton of players in GW2 that don’t take the game like a regular MMO and thus would not want their work to be nullified by an arbitrary number increase.

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I don’t think the player level cap should raise, but I do anticipate a gradually increasing level cap for NPCs. In GW1, the max player level was 20 yet the max enemy NPC level was just above 30. With high-level fractals and other hardcore content, we already see enemies go up to level 84 (maybe higher). I’m guessing we’ll eventually fight level 90 enemies, if not up to level 100 someday.

Yes, there are already level 85 enemies(extremely rare, but they do pop up from time to time.

I’ll say it again…stats don’t have to be raised if you raise the level cap, there are other things that can be raised and rewards added…such as new traits and skills…even with the Tomes…just increasing your level would not give you the added traits/skills/weapon(skins)/armor(skins), for that you would still have to complete new content for.

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Zaklex, its senseless to talk about with all these people about LevelCap increases, they will never understand the concept you are talking about, because 99% of the people that you see here posting are either:

• Clueless Lemmings with no own opinion, which just follow like a fish always the stream of other fishes only and never attempt to even think about swimming against the stream.
  • Hardcore Conservatives which are 100% resistent against any compelling arguments, because of their “never touch a running system”-mentality. Such people are always in massive fear about any kind of changes, they get very bad along with changes to something they thing must work always like X or like Y, if you get them then with Z, its like ERROR TILT for their brains…
  • A Sub Type of the Hardcore Conservative is the Biased/Prejudiced Hater, about which from those 99% are mostly 90% just all of those people this kind (most of them comign from games like WoW, DDO, LotRO ect. and way older classical MMORPGs like Ragnarok online and tons of other asia grinder games which they would never admit, that there were times where such people liked to play these games, simply, because there existed nothing better!!!) people which just aren’t openminded enough for any discussions about innovative changes or improvements from systems they pesonally hate from other games they have played like years ago, forgetting about the fact, that the game industry isn’t sleeping and develops itself permanently further, making things today possible, which were like 5-10 years ago for people the absolute “impossible”

GW1 has spoiled people so much by being so different, that it must have been in the mindset of many people like some kind of MMO messiah to them, that they think that everythign must work now like GW1, or its bad game design, forgettign about, that those classical mechanisms and systems thay played with years ago have functionized for a very long time and that very good.

I absolutely agree with you, that there can be a Level Cap increase, without destroying anything what all those biased and prejudiced haters fear of what they just think “will” happen, as if they all would be suddenly fortunetellers being able to look into the future lol!!!

The most funny thing is when they start with the “bribe argument” trying that way to enforce their personal will into the devs, because otherwise they leave the game, despite seeming to have forgotten, that Anet already permanently changes things in the game where tons o’ players were against – like the ascended stuff.
They took the risk of losing many of the GW1 veteran/fanpeople willingly and mostl likely ended what they began until now nearly completely (just ascended aqua breathers/upgrades missing – why ever)

Thats the people where I say, that such people lose absolutely every credibility as a discussion partner, when everything in their argumentation that is leftfor them is to say only – do X and I will leave the game. Thats no argument. Its just a cheap try to bribe those responsible in the changes to do, what they want.

MMORPGs will constantly change and Anet can’t and will never be able to please always everybody.
Whatever they do, there will always be a large amount of people, which like the changes, and there will always be also a large portion of players, which will dislike some changes…

The point is, people will adapt to changes, and if you are so unflexible to adapt to an always changing game, then such people should rather stay to games like Tetris, because then you have the guarantee, that you play something, that would even still be eons of time later stil lbe the same, because nothing will ever change the gameplay of Tetris, so simple as it is. It will always stay the same game concept of bring bricks and blocks together to a full line to let the lines disappear before everything cludders up too fast. Dum dede dum dede dum dede dum dede dum dede dum dede dum dum dum xD melody

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I don’t think a level cap increase would be a good idea.

New skills? Just add new skills.
New weapons? Just add new weapons.
ANet wants people to have more trait points? They’ve already rejiggered the trait system, just rejigger it again.

When gear doesn’t need to be reset, there’s no point in a level cap increase. There are other ways to pull players back into the game. LW S2 seems like it’s done a very good job so far with the new zones being added, and hopefully the pace of changes for PvP balancing will keep up. The only other thing we need is more stuff for WvW and more maps/game modes for sPvP.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Level ? NO
New weapons and skills? YES
New armors?YES
New legendaries? YES

Will level cap raise?

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

There’s really no reason to raise the caps to 90 or 100. Everything you need to add in for level progression new traits, skills, equipment, etc, new zones, can be added without needing to raise the levels. Although adding new trait level would have been easier in the old system since they had 60-80 open for it, but oh well. Levels are only there to show power progression and to spread out new skills/traits/equipment so that people don’t get confused snickers, it’s not needed beyond 80 unless they plan to add a ton of stuff past that, which I highly doubt.

New equipment? legendaries will always be top of the line, but something beyond ascended? after the grind they make us go through for it? you would have to add new items in a way that’s not easier to get, or you devalue the work put into ascended pieces by the players, either way that would be a swift kick to the kittens. They’ve fumbled the way they dealt with vertical progression with the massive roadblock of ascended, adding something like ascended 2.0 will probably make a lot of people rage quit.

Lastly, if you raise caps you will also need to re-balance the uplevel zones (like wvw or special zones like the labyrinth etc) and stats from 80-90/100 on players and npcs. Do we really need them to waste time on that?, already wasted more than a year on the npe re-balancing.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill