Will server population clear up?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hadrian.7921

Hadrian.7921

Q:

So heres the problem. Everyone that I currently play with are on the world Stormbluff Isle. I am aware of the 1800 gem ludicrous cost of transferring and I’m willing to pay that price but there is a problem. Their world is full and it WONT clear up EVER! I have checked in at 3 and 5 in the morning as well as many other times but every single time I check to transfer, the server is still full. Anet really needs to fix this issue as I’m almost positive many others are experiencing a very similar if not identical situation to me.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A:

If you’re joining for anything other than WvW….just join any old server.

If you’re joining for WvW, you have the option in the short term of joining the server SBI is linked with, Crystal Desert.

Alternatively, you can just pray it opens up which likely wont happen until sometime really really early in the morning NA.

I was under the impression that since the change in calculation, logging in at different times will make no difference. That is to say, until Anet actually revisits WvW traffic numbers, the full servers will remain full no matter what time it is.

or a lot of people decide to move off the server and nobody moves back to fill their spots

That wouldn’t do it. It’s not an automatic thing anymore. All that matters at this point is the WvW population and, as far as I can tell, the status isn’t updated real time. It’s like they review it periodically rather than just react instantly.

It is updated in real time; it just isn’t likely to change, because the formula looks at weeks of data, not just the current metrics. It’s a subtle distinction — it doesn’t much change how we as players can adapt. The main difference between the two situations is:

• If the review were periodic (which it’s not), we could check status right after a review and then wait for the next review.
  • If the review is ‘frequent’ (which it is), but based on long-term data, then it makes sense to check periodically (weekly is probably good enough imo).

Short version remains:

• No need to change servers unless you want to WvW with particular people.
  • No point in checking at weird hours any more for server status.
  • No point in attempting the transfer; you can just look at the status (it will always be accurate now).
  • Check weekly (or no more often than daily) by looking at the status.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

If you’re joining for WvW, you have the option in the short term of joining the server SBI is linked with, Crystal Desert.

Alternatively, you can just pray it opens up which likely wont happen until sometime really really early in the morning NA.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I was under the impression that since the change in calculation, logging in at different times will make no difference. That is to say, until Anet actually revisits WvW traffic numbers, the full servers will remain full no matter what time it is.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

or a lot of people decide to move off the server and nobody moves back to fill their spots

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I was under the impression that since the change in calculation, logging in at different times will make no difference.

You are correct: time of day no longer matters. Now, you can just look to see if it says ‘full’ or not. I’d recommend checking once a week. You can check daily, but it isn’t likely to change that quickly. It’s definitely not worth checking more often.

The new formula is based on recent activity, over weeks of time. The actual number of people signed up for SBI doesn’t matter; it only matters how many (from SBI) have been playing WvW. The good thing is it means that a sudden spike in interest won’t affect the status, only a sustained increase in participation will. The bad thing is that it takes weeks, if not months, after a drop in interest, for the status to drop again.

tl;dr you just have to wait it out. Check weekly, maybe daily; but don’t check more than 1x/day.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Hadrian.7921

Does anyone know if AN has plans of increasing world max population sizes? If not I think I’m screwed…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As someone else said the only reason you need to be on the same server is for WvW. For everything else you can play with people from all servers in your region (NA or EU).

So unless you specifically want to do WvW with these people there is no need to transfer.

If you do then you’ll probably have to wait a few weeks. As explained the server population is based entirely on the number of people actively playing WvW and they recently made some big changes that have got a lot of people playing it again.

It will settle down once the new stuff stops being new and people go back to other areas of the game. Then space will open up on the servers.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Kasteros.9847

Kasteros.9847

There is a reason why servers are tagged as full… Over long queues for WvW are back. So the only way for u is tranafer to their linked server if u want play WvW with them. Anet wrote some time ago that they won’t incrase server’s cap untill all medium servers become high or very high.

[One][SiOn][dF]
16.03.15 We remember! R.I.P. MT
Shocking interview with Anet WvW Dev

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That wouldn’t do it. It’s not an automatic thing anymore. All that matters at this point is the WvW population and, as far as I can tell, the status isn’t updated real time. It’s like they review it periodically rather than just react instantly.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Does anyone know if AN has plans of increasing world max population sizes? If not I think I’m screwed…

Not until prime time queues remain. There is no point increasing server population caps when people have to spend hours to even get into WvW.

Hadrian.7921

Looks like I will be waiting a couple weeks to play WvW with my buddies then. Thanks for all the feedback!