Will the expansion have Elder Dragon at all?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Doflamingo.6957

Doflamingo.6957

With the recent leaks about the new GW2 expansion its not easy to understand who is the next elder dragon is or if there will be one in this expansion, is the Vabbi area near Jormag or something?

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

No, it’s to the south of Ascalon on GW2 map. Crystal Desert and the surrounding areas, most likely. Which makes Kralkatorrik the likely adversary.

Posted by: Doflamingo.6957

Doflamingo.6957

No, it’s to the south of Ascalon on GW2 map. Crystal Desert and the surrounding areas, most likely. Which makes Kralkatorrik the likely adversary.

Ah that’s what i was thinking people kept saying ’’north’’ and i was like wtf desert in the north, being south is more logical

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

That’s because Vabbi is the northern province of Elona, but it’s not in the north of Tyria.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Ah that’s what i was thinking people kept saying ’’north’’ and i was like wtf desert in the north, being south is more logical

The people saying north is probably based on an old gw1 YouTube, where one of the chars in the video points at the setting sun and says, “We going north, to Vabbi!”

Edit: A fast-forward trip through Nightfall

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

With the recent leaks about the new GW2 expansion its not easy to understand who is the next elder dragon is or if there will be one in this expansion, is the Vabbi area near Jormag or something?

I assume that the core of GW2 lore and game play will revolve around the elder dragons. With LS season 3 currently hinting toward a stalemate between Jormag & Primordus (they cancel each other out) and Kralkatorrik being the elder dragon stirring in the Crystal Desert, this one is most likely the focus of the expansion pack 2 as far as I can see it.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I hope so the teaser of primordus kinda gives me this feeling that we wont get any kitten fights with elder dragons from here on out :/

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I hope so the teaser of primordus kinda gives me this feeling that we wont get any kitten fights with elder dragons from here on out :/

It is a concern, but then again can they really do the ED’s justice? Zhaitan looked cool, but felt too small and the fight was a disaster. Of all the things to rush in a game, a central protaganist should never have been one of them.

Mordremoth was a lot better visually, but the fight outside was rather….tame. Sure we could say it was distracted by the mental battles, but the lead up to him was far more dangerous and it felt a tad anti-climatic.

Apart from this weird metaphysical story of balancing magic out because…“reasons”, these are primordial threats and shouldn’t be killed off. Look at the Mythos stuff – the big nasties are ever present.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t appear, but fighting and killing them off removes much of their mystique.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I hope they don’t replace the elder dragons with the human gods but instead, evolve the threat of the elder dragons by adding the human gods into the mix.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

It is a concern, but then again can they really do the ED’s justice? Zhaitan looked cool, but felt too small and the fight was a disaster. Of all the things to rush in a game, a central protaganist should never have been one of them.

Mordremoth was a lot better visually, but the fight outside was rather….tame. Sure we could say it was distracted by the mental battles, but the lead up to him was far more dangerous and it felt a tad anti-climatic.

Apart from this weird metaphysical story of balancing magic out because…“reasons”, these are primordial threats and shouldn’t be killed off. Look at the Mythos stuff – the big nasties are ever present.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t appear, but fighting and killing them off removes much of their mystique.

I expected primordus to be a huge as dragon sticking our of a ground standing there like a montain and you and other 100 players aa him while he does 180 swipes that 1shot and breathes fore makimg half the battleground a kill zone. Meanwhile there are a kitten tone of mobs spawning to kill you and there alot of kitten going on inthe sky.

As for mordy i also consider the mouth fight to be sewhat of a part to it.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Fighting more elder dragons would not make sense unless Taimi was wrong and it would also means that ultimately our character made the wrong choice at the end of Flashpoint.

If we are going to the Crystal Desert/Vabbi/Desolation/etc. then we are also going to be fighting Palawa Joko. Which means more undead but smarter ones this time.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Fighting Kralkatorrik and the DSD makes perfect sense.

Killing them does not.

If we fight Elder Dragons still it would be with the intent to hinder and possibly forcibly put them to sleep rather than to kill like we did with Zhaitan and Mordremoth. Whether Jormag (and Primordus) end up being on the table for that in the future is more questionable, but it wouldn’t make sense from the Pact’s perspective (or the Pact Commander’s) to just let Kralkatorrik and the DSD run amok unless there are more pressing matters than ancient, gargantuan, and supremely powerful beings bent on world devastation… Which is hard to imagine.

I also wouldn’t be so sure about fighting Joko after all the leaked images...show a waypoint in the Bone Palace, and the furthest map is the "Domain of Vabbi" (which is central Vabbi from GW1) and the Mirror of Vabbi was heavily corrupted by Kralkatorrik, implying that the end area is more dragonbrand.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Cristalyan.5728

Cristalyan.5728

Doflamingo.6957

With the recent leaks about the new GW2 expansion its not easy to understand who is the next elder dragon is or if there will be one in this expansion

In my opinion, with the knowledge we got in the last episode, the elder Dragons became a dead end from the story point of view. We can kill them (see Zhaitan and Mordy) but we cannot afford to kill them now – see Taimi’s “revelation” after consulting the magic globe …. sorry, the simulation in the magic computer. Or the fortune teller? Not important – the important think is that we can kill them now only if we want a grandious suicide.

So, inserting an Elder Dragon now means to put us into an impossible situation: we can fight a dragon but with care, being cautious to not kill it. Sending the dragon to sleep is a temporary solution – it will awake again. Again fight, again send the dragon to sleep?
Nothing to win for the heroes and for Tyria. Everything to loose in case of failure.
So, unless Taimi was wrong, the Elder Dragons way is closed for the story.

I wonder if the idea of Pact is still a valid one: Eliminating the dragon menace was something all the nations in Tyria agreed. Is somehow questionable that the Pact can be used as it is now against a god. Not all the nations in Tyria share the same concept regarding the gods.

So, in my opinion, we will have no Elder Dragon in the expansion. The absurd situation of fighting a dragon without having the freedom to kill it put us in the Sisif posture: repeating a task ever and ever, without completing it.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

I’m actually not at all sure we can’t kill any more dragons, period.
What Taimi simulated was specifically smashing Jormag vs Primordus, and that would blow up the world.

A staggered killing, with something* to absorb at least most of the released magic might very well still work.

*Like possibly a small dragon? Anyone seen a friendly one around? No? Oh well, maybe one might show up…

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I’m actually not at all sure we can’t kill any more dragons, period.
What Taimi simulated was specifically smashing Jormag vs Primordus, and that would blow up the world.

A staggered killing, with something* to absorb at least most of the released magic might very well still work.

*Like possibly a small dragon? Anyone seen a friendly one around? No? Oh well, maybe one might show up…

This hypothetical dragon wouldn’t even have to absorb all of the magic stored by the Elder dragons. Some of the magic could be released unassigned into the world or be absorbed by other magical beings. Of course this would require other magical beings and a non Elder dragon.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

(edited by Psientist.6437)