Will the next expansion be discounted?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

The Morrowind upgrade for ESO was almost as expensive as the full HoT game at launch (40€ for Morrowind vs. 45€ for HoT), while the full ESO+Morrowind package was considerably more expensive (60€ if I’m not mistaken).

That’s how it usually works. $50 is the standard price for B2P expansions.

If GW2 was like other MMOs, HoT would have been $50 by itself while the core game would have remained at $25. A year in, they would have bundled in the core game for free, then later dropped the price to $25 to repeat the cycle with the next expansion.

So, everyone is kitten because Anet’s decided it’s not worth bilking new players $25 on a less-than-full-experience product?

The problem with Heart of Thorns was a lack of content. I don’t think the new Xpack’s going to have that problem.

Yes, we already know they focused on the technical aspects in HOT to give them a framework for future expansions. Hopefully anet heard people loud and clear about what they liked and did not like, chief among them was a desire for more content. On the PR side …. do not announce an expansion almost a year before it will be released. I think we will be pleasantly surprised by expansion 2.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

The largest MMO releases their expansions at a $30 price point, this is true, but they ALSO require you to pay a monthly fee.

Nope.

World of Warcraft: Legion is at kitten price point, as was Warlords of Draenor before it, and Mists of Pandaria before that, and Cataclysm before that, and Wrath of the Lich King before that, and The Burning Crusade before that.

Holy kitten, legion is $50? I remember BC being lower than that, but then it has been a long time since then, and that was also when I started, and also stopped playing cause I hated WoW but loved GW1.

Edit: But this only makes my point all the more valid… I will not complain if the new xpac is $50, because others expect that plus a sub fee. The amount I have spent on the the base game and then HoT, I feel I have gotten my money from in over 4000 hours of play time.

Count yourself lucky that it was only $50. The cross-ocean tax made it approximately USD $70 in Australia.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I know some have commented on this already, but my hours played divided by the price I paid for the original + HoT = nine cents per hour. Nine cents. If I go to a movie, I only get to enjoy it once at about $5/hour. As a form of entertainment, GW2 is incredible.

Granted, I have sunk a lot more into the game via gem purchases, but those additions have only added to my enjoyment of the game, and are beyond the scope of this discussion.