Will we ever face any of the six gods?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eidolonemesis.5640

Eidolonemesis.5640

This thread inspired by…

Writing this thread was absolutely inspired by the experience I had when marveling at the Cliffside Fractal Statue’s magnitude for the first time. It totally looked like something out of God of War, to which I thought to myself, “Why is something like this statue not a raid boss?!”

I absolutely wanted to chisel the Cliffside Fractal Statue down with my hammer until it turned into a Quaggan, and alas, I could not…

Seeing the Cliffside Fractal Statue was proof the developers are capable of implementing god-sized human bosses, and it left me wonder since that day, “Why not?”

I am sure this question has been brought up before, but will we ever get a chance to battle any of the six gods mentioned in Guild Wars throughout the years?

I ask ‘any of the six gods’ since some of the gods (like Lyssa and Melandru) are more peaceful, yet a raid event against Balthazar himself, Grenth, or any of the crueler gods easily comes to mind, and I always find myself thinking, “Why have the developers not gone forward with the idea of letting players witness and battle against the power of any of the gods in Guild Wars? Just because they’re ‘gods’? There are stories all throughout mythology regarding gods being taken down by underestimated lesser powers that won.”

Really, who wouldn’t want to see a less exaggerated, more forgiving form of this event as said about Balthazar from the Guild Wars 2 Wiki, standing half as tall like the Cliffside Fractal Statue in Fract of the Mists, weilding a Greatsword almost half that size in length, “And then did release from His sword a hundred thousand flames, which encircled the soldiers. For this was the fire of courage, and forthwith did they follow the god into battle without fear or hesitation. Thence was the enemy struck down.”

or… who wouldn’t want to see a boss introduction equivalent to something like this as as said about Grenth from the Guild Wars 2 Wiki, “And rumbled then the earth from far below, and with a terrible groan, split open. The ground grew white with frost and ice, and from forth the frozen earth spilled the rotted, skeletal minions of Grenth.”

Players from all over would come out of the woodwork just to have a swing or two, or three, or one thousand… at the any one of the gods.

For many years (and I believe anyone reading this can relate) I have awaited the day to face at least a few of the six deities, notably the crueler, war-driven gods. We have all heard about them and the unknown extent of their power, so why not put greatness (the players) against greatness (a few of the six gods).

Everywhere you go throughout the Guild Wars 2 game it talks about the six gods no longer favoring the Guild Wars world like they once did, as if they’ve been abandoned, so why not bring the most likely gods to be offended by such back into the game in physical form to punish the Guild Wars 2 world for such abandonment?

P.S. If worse comes to worse that battling any of the already-established six gods never happens, what about adding a 7th god to the game that actually interacts physically in some way, shape, or form with the Guild Wars 2 world who does not hide behind a curtain?

What do you guys think about battling a few of the six gods?

(edited by Eidolonemesis.5640)

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Not a chance. At the current pace of the current story, we’ve got at least 15 more years of dragons to fight.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

But…. why? Why would we fight the gods that we have worshiped for all these years? Just cause they went silent for awhile?

There is many theories why they went silent, but I wouldn’t say they outright abandoned us. Maybe forces unknown to us have silenced them and they are dealing with their own issues on their end to solve it?

Just doesn’t make any sense why we would all the sudden go into an all out war with them over it. Doesn’t really fit into the story in any way.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Nick Lentz.6982

Nick Lentz.6982

They prolly will not return until Tyria is in its final darkest hour. What ever that may be. Perhaps the Last remaining Elder Dragon when we get there, Will be too powerful with It being the last one, it can consume any of the remaining magic/magic from all the deceased dragons. Only then maybe will they return to help. But what happens after? more dragons? They do come from the stars, Jotun use to predict when a dragon would wake. With their Telescope(that is now in arah). Other worlds are important to guild wars lore, so maybe then? is mystery.

Guardian of Maguuma
Grand Warden of I Crit Under Pressure.
message me for an invite ^_^

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Lore wise, I believe the human gods have either moved on to more interesting worlds to play with, or are somehow conversely linked to the Dragons.

With the ending to the Nightfall campaign and the dialogue surrounding the events of Eye of the North, I believe there was a lot of talk about how the Dragons awaken to eat up the world’s magic and then magic slowly seeps back into the world when they slumber.

It was my understanding that the six gods are either a counter-balance that occur when the Dragons are not active, or they are beings that they were using the Dragons’ seeping magic as a resource to power their selves or their abilities.

If the Dragons are like a force of nature then perhaps the six gods are like a force of magic.

If the period of Dragon activity is like the high tide then the period of god activity is like the low tide.

Eidolonemesis.5640

But…. why? Why would we fight the gods that we have worshiped for all these years? Just cause they went silent for awhile?

There is many theories why they went silent, but I wouldn’t say they outright abandoned us. Maybe forces unknown to us have silenced them and they are dealing with their own issues on their end to solve it?

Just doesn’t make any sense why we would all the sudden go into an all out war with them over it. Doesn’t really fit into the story in any way.

You ask “why?” the better question I ask is “why not?”

I never said in my original post it was the six gods who abandoned the Guild Wars 2 world but that it was ‘us’ and/or the general Guild Wars 2 world that abandoned the six gods, that which is quite possibly why they ‘went silent’.

Not a chance. At the current pace of the current story, we’ve got at least 15 more years of dragons to fight.

Right. Until players generally get tired of facing dragons and would like to have a chance to face gargantuan-sized human gods instead as big as the Cliffside Fractal Statue in the Fractal of the Mists (as mentioned in my original post).

That being said, let’s hope your sad truth told turns around someday to be absolutely false.

Lore wise, I believe the human gods have either moved on to more interesting worlds to play with, or are somehow conversely linked to the Dragons.

Nah. The six gods didn’t just ‘move on’. That is just a poor excuse to not elaborate on the story of the six gods more than is already established, which is nothing more than what is merely said about them without any proof of their true power ever witnessed in-game. Much of talk of the six gods and no action. No action! Where is the action? Sure, there are several areas that show ‘aftermaths’ of what a few of the gods have done to the Guild Wars 2 world, yet none of which has ever been seen.

Arguably, they still play a role in some way, shape or form in the Guild Wars 2 world we roam today; they just won’t show their face and/or reveal what they’re really up to!

And if ever it did prove true any of the six gods (likely the crueler ones like Balthazar and Grenth) were using the dragons to power themselves, thereby working alongside the dragons in some way, is that not enough grounds sometime down the road in the Guild Wars 2 storyline to have players go up against any of the six gods doing this, especially if it is revealed to players several of the six gods are abusing that power for the wrong reasons for the sake of pushing a malicious agenda?

Furthermore, if they are drawing power from the dragons, what a waste of power to not even put it to good use, to stand idly by and do nothing with it. That is why I think we should have raids against a few of the six gods.

Posted by: Bean Muncher.5197

Bean Muncher.5197

Would prefer them not visiting us. I like not being blind.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Stop glaring at me, revenants!

Eidolonemesis.5640

Would prefer them not visiting us. I like not being blind.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Stop glaring at me, revenants!

Then Anet can sell aviator sunglasses in the Gem Store for 25-50 Gems to counteract the blindness ^^

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

We won’t “fight” the gods but they will likely pop into the story in the future.

We already know they exist and have seen them; from GW1 – and know they are good not evil, so no reason to fight them.

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

I never said in my original post it was the six gods who abandoned the Guild Wars 2 world but that it was ‘us’ and/or the general Guild Wars 2 that abandoned the six gods, that which is quite possibly why they ‘went silent’.

Actually, it was the gods who abandoned the world, not the reverse. Even in Nightfall they told us that it was “your world now” and up to us to take care of Abaddon. We were begging for help and they told us that they were staying out of it. There is no way to color that as us abandoning them. The best light you can put on it is that they were like parents encouraging grown children to leave the nest and start taking on responsibility.

They may have had very good reason to withdraw anyway, knowing about the Elder Dragons. Can you imagine the power an ED might gain if it were able to defeat and consume the magic of one of the gods? Better that the gods stay where the ED can’t get at them! The gods surely knew that the ED were due to start awakening, and that may have been the real motive behind their withdrawal.

If you want to fight a god, perhaps one day Dhuum will break free again. Or perhaps we will finally get the chance to take on Balthazar’s half-brother Menzies, who surely has god-like powers. But no human would want to fight one of the Six, no matter how “cruel” they might seem. No norn, asura, or sylvari would have any reason to do so either. Only the charr might be enthused by the idea of testing themselves against the benefactors of their old foes.

Posted by: brently.7946

brently.7946

I never said in my original post it was the six gods who abandoned the Guild Wars 2 world but that it was ‘us’ and/or the general Guild Wars 2 that abandoned the six gods, that which is quite possibly why they ‘went silent’.

Actually, it was the gods who abandoned the world, not the reverse. Even in Nightfall they told us that it was “your world now” and up to us to take care of Abaddon. We were begging for help and they told us that they were staying out of it. There is no way to color that as us abandoning them. The best light you can put on it is that they were like parents encouraging grown children to leave the nest and start taking on responsibility.

They may have had very good reason to withdraw anyway, knowing about the Elder Dragons. Can you imagine the power an ED might gain if it were able to defeat and consume the magic of one of the gods? Better that the gods stay where the ED can’t get at them! The gods surely knew that the ED were due to start awakening, and that may have been the real motive behind their withdrawal.

If you want to fight a god, perhaps one day Dhuum will break free again. Or perhaps we will finally get the chance to take on Balthazar’s half-brother Menzies, who surely has god-like powers. But no human would want to fight one of the Six, no matter how “cruel” they might seem. No norn, asura, or sylvari would have any reason to do so either. Only the charr might be enthused by the idea of testing themselves against the benefactors of their old foes.

I’d like to point out Balthazar claimed Tyria for humans and he is the one that waged war against the other races. I doubt any of the races would be glad to see him come back.

Eidolonemesis.5640

You make some good points I was not exactly aware of. Regardless, I would still like to see something in the storyline (a twist) where players are given a good reason to face a few of the six gods brought on by some form of betrayal, abuse of their power or hypocrisy against what they stand for, and I am sure such a twist would not be too hard to add to the Guild Wars 2 storyline somewhere.

OR the other way around depending on how big any one of the six gods are up against an Elder Dragon, and I am quite sure, for example, Balthazar scaled up to the size of that Cliffside Fractal Statue against an Elder Dragon would absolutely win. He would be a one-man army with the power of several hundred players (about the number required, anyway, for big raids).

That’s the thing, though… Dhuum and Menzies are arguably nowhere near as interesting or cool as Balthazar or Grenth. They to me are not godly enough. Furthermore, as said before, if something in the Guild Wars 2 storyline changed so as to consist of some twist regarding the six gods, all races would then be given more than a good reason to go up against any one of the six gods.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Fight one of the six gods? Been there, done that.

Eidolonemesis.5640

Fight one of the six gods? Been there, done that.

Really? When? I don’t recall players ever battling any one of the six gods in Guild Wars until they surrender on their knees to several hundred mortal players in a raid event. That’s what I’m talking about!

That being said, my thread is suggesting a battle against more than one of the six gods (placed at select locations on the map) due to some form of betrayal, abuse of their power or hypocrisy against what they stand for.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

In Guild Wars: Nightfall, players fight Abaddon. That’s probably what IndigoSundown is referencing.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

In Guild Wars: Nightfall, players fight Abaddon. That’s probably what IndigoSundown is referencing.

lol it wasn’t even a particularly difficult fight.

Beating Shiro in Fractals after roughly the same amount of time had passed after the games release was far more challenging.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Robotmoxie.4025

Robotmoxie.4025

I want Dhuum to bust up out of that box Grenth put him in. Give us something that isn’t a dragon to fret about.

Better yet, in a display of his power, have Dhuum straight up murder a dragon in front of us. A whole dragon. Up the ante. That’d get me caring about the Gods again.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Judging by the Abaddon voting situation a while back, I don’t think anyone’s interested in them anymore. I welcome any new stuff involving them though.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

They would kill us, they are gods after all. We only killed Abbadon because he was chained up.

Not to mention, if we did beat one, all that power has to go somewhere. Are we goi g to make our characters gods now?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

Not to mention, if we did beat one, all that power has to go somewhere. Are we goi g to make our characters gods now?

No. Trahearne is waiting to pull a Kormir on us, so our characters will never have a shot at it. Maybe he’ll take Melandru’s place as the new earth god if she goes nuts and starts attacking Tyria. After all, there is a pretty large imbalance in the male/female ratio among the gods, especially since Kormir replaced Abaddon, so it’s about time to adjust that balance a bit.

Robotmoxie.4025

I was actually kind of hoping, way back when HoT was announced, that all this havoc Mordremoth was wreaking with the jungle would… you know, make Melandru upset.

I mean, they’ve set up the circumstances to look pretty dire, even now. Pact obliterated, freely arranged guilds acting as the world’s standing army, that kind of thing.

Even though I know it’s unlikely, I still think it’d be pretty amazing of Melandru decided she’s had enough of all this and turns the jungle back on Mordremoth. Tie him up in a big knot of his own vines or something.

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

an all out war with them over it.

Heuristic?

Why would it have to be war with them. He said only a few or even one.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

Arah P4. Fight them all. It’s what we have and it’s fun.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Robotmoxie.4025

Kormir needs new lore, so I’d be down for that. Like, we know a good deal about Kormir as a human, but as far as her feats and accomplishments as a god, it’s kind of a short list, by comparison. I’d love to get back over to Elona to take the fight to Joko and have that narrative be used to show us what she’s really like, acting in her capacity as a god.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Maybe in a human-centric expac, they could make a cameo. But their time is over (like they said) and the world is no longer just humans. Might as well traverse the eternal alchemy or encounter the animal gods of Norn lore.

Anyway, at the rate of 1 expac every 3 years, and with 4 dragons still unaccounted for, that’s 12 more years of dragonbusting — just enough for GW3 lol.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Maybe in a human-centric expac, they could make a cameo. But their time is over (like they said) and the world is no longer just humans. Might as well traverse the eternal alchemy or encounter the animal gods of Norn lore.

Anyway, at the rate of 1 expac every 3 years, and with 4 dragons still unaccounted for, that’s 12 more years of dragonbusting — just enough for GW3 lol.

Well, the release game was the human-centric expansion.

Also, we are not sure if those gods are even still alive.

My thinking is that they decided they were absent to remove plot holes (“why can’t we contact these powerful beings that we’ve always been able to contact pretty easily, and why aren’t they helping?”) but the lore team hasn’t really decided what their fate or continuing place in the story is.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

After three years we’ve been waiting for Elona, Cantha, and even unexplored parts of the world.

“After all Joko can’t be killed like anyone else.”

Batman would find a way and Superman wouldn’t even need to think, just fly really fast and punch him hard. The Punisher likewise would aim his rocket launcher at Joko and call it a day. Joko can be beaten, you just need the right person or group.

Eidolonemesis.5640

The six main gods are:

Dwayna, goddess of healing, air, warmth, and life.
Balthazar, god of war, fire, and courage.
Melandru, goddess of nature, earth, and growth.
Lyssa, twin goddesses of beauty, water and illusion (individually, they are Lyss and Ilya).
Grenth, god of darkness, death, and ice.
Kormir, goddess of order, spirit, and truth.

That is what this thread is about, not Abbadon, Menzies, Dhuum or any other wannabe-gods that are either not quite as cool or powerful.

They would kill us, they are gods after all. We only killed Abbadon because he was chained up.

Anet’s developers fixed it that way for Abaddon being chained up because Guild Wars 1 did not support huge raids like we have now in Guild Wars 2, so the only way to make the Abaddon battle in Guild Wars 1 doable is to chain him up. Had Abaddon been a raid boss in Guild Wars 2 (hypothetical) without being chained up, we would totally have a fair shot at killing him since there is clearly power in numbers.

In the underlined bit from the above quoted from you, ‘their time’ (the six gods) doesn’t have to be over. Ever heard of comebacks in stories? Those do exist you know…

Furthermore, just because the world of Guild Wars no longer consists of just Humans in Guild Wars 2 does not mean a thing! More races exist only because players wanted more race diversity to choose from with storylines, which is awesome. However, that does not mean other races in Guild Wars 2 cannot become more familiar with the six gods.

If anything, different races going up against any of the six gods would make things more interesting, especially if a few of the six gods are seen as a threat to the Guild Wars 2 world as a result of abused power, that which would give every race a reason to go up against any of the six gods.

Judging by the Abaddon voting situation a while back, I don’t think anyone’s interested in them anymore. I welcome any new stuff involving them though.

What do you mean by ‘judging by the Abbadon voting situation’?

And Abaddon is not ‘them’. You talk about a singular (Abaddon) followed by what is plural (them), which makes no sense.

Conclusively, the majority of your feedback seems to suggest no one would be interested at all in fighting any of the six gods, which is absolutely false. Who wouldn’t want to go head-to-head with Balthazar or Grenth? Come on… Really?

[Varesh mode on ]Abaddon, a wannabe god?

You will regret these words, Abaddon shall feast on your eyes!

Ai Abaddon! Jai Hahna Abaddon! [Varesh mode off]

I want to go to Elona and destroy both Kralka and Palawa Joko :’(

That’s right. Abaddon, a ‘wannabe-god’ for reason being he was a stand-still, sideshow, joke-of-a-boss in Guild Wars 1 that did not perform the full extent of his power, not even a little bit, yet for understandable reasons since Guild Wars 1 did not support 100+man raids. So yea, Abaddon is a joke to me until I see otherwise.

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

That is what this thread is about, not Abbadon, Menzies, Dhuum or any other wannabe-gods that are either not quite as cool or powerful.

[Varesh mode on ]Abaddon, a wannabe god?

You will regret these words, Abaddon shall feast on your eyes!

Ai Abaddon! Jai Hahna Abaddon! [Varesh mode off]

I want to go to Elona and destroy both Kralka and Palawa Joko :’(