Will we ever get level 90 or 100

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Does anyone think we will ever get to increase our level past 80 and go on to possibly 100? Ascended level of 100 maybe, you have to do things that cost money to earn exp (Such as the moa race achivement that cost 50s per bet and it wasn’t a guaranteed win)

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

Nah, lets sell an instant-from-80-to-100-scroll in the gemshop.

Posted by: Hka.3942

Hka.3942

They said pre-launch that they wanted to add levels at some point. I don’t think it’s a wise decision though and when this day comes I’ll probably stop playing for good.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Raising level cap just for sake of 10 more levels makes no sense.

Hka.3942

Bigger numbers in general make no sense.

(edited by Hka.3942)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I would like more trait points to spend…80-90 instead of 70 would be awesome and new weapons to unlock would be good.

So if we got those with a level increase to 90 or 100 then great.

Been sitting on all 8 classes at level 80 for ages now, so would like to gain some more levels…

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If they increased the level cap, it’d probably be +20 levels and a new Orr type zone would go along with it, such as the Crystal Desert. Don’t expect any news of a level cap increase for the new couple of years though. They still have at least a year’s worth of more progression through ascended. Once they stop adding ascended stuff, expect something to happen.

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

Hopefully. They should also release new level 90-100 gear (like lvl 100 ascended & legendaries) which we would have to acquire. They dont even need to provide new areas / dungeons / skills; just raise the level cap and introduce the new gear tier. This game could use a little grind, otherwise there wouldnt be much holding us here.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

if they give a free lvl up to all ascended items (weapons, armor, trinkets) and legendaries… maybe the rage from the players wouldnt be SUPER HEAVY…
but im pretty sure that 99% of players wouldnt want to grind for EVERY SINGLE EQUIPMENT PIECE…. because every single piece would be worthless if its lvl 80 while lvl 90 is max lvl

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

If we did its more then likely going to be a different type of level a lot like how your MF is now. The game is base off of only getting 70 points to spend to changes this will be a major overhaul of the system. So i am thinking it will be more on the lines of level in some other effect like WvW ranks but for pve. Say move faster outside of combat better able to mine ore etc.. more gold drops higher karma more dungeon tokens etc..

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Hopefully. They should also release new level 90-100 gear (like lvl 100 ascended & legendaries) which we would have to acquire. They dont even need to provide new areas / dungeons / skills; just raise the level cap and introduce the new gear tier. This game could use a little grind, otherwise there wouldnt be much holding us here.

not sure if irony or not xD
but if not then… equipping 8 characters with ~3 ascended armor sets each and ~10 ascended weapons each and ~18 ascended trinket pieces each takes long enough*… and i will most likely never finish that

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Horizontal progression please. I don’t want all my gear made worthless each time there’s a level increase.

More skills, more traits, more zones.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Bleh, I never want to see a level cap increase. I’m annoyed enough as it is, about ascended weapons and armor (and retroactively about trinkets). I just want to see some new traits/skills eventually.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I don’t care about seeing a level increase. I would just like to explore half of the map they’ve never opened.

SBI

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Increase lvl cap probably equates to increase chance of me quitting :P

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I really doubt they will increase the level cap.
GW1 did fantastically well with the same level cap since launch, I’m sure GW2 will too.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

They can’t. Their entire game structure, trait systems, weapon system, everything…would have to be adjusted. What about all the 80’s that already have max exo gear that they spend huge $$$ one. The only way they could do it and not have a ton of people leave the game would be to literally adjust everyone and all their gear up, essentially adding a new 1-20. So all 80’s go to 100, all 70’s go to 90, etc. It would be a massive redesign, just on the gear element alone. If they just raised the cap and didn’t adjust everyone, or even worse, only adjusted ascended and legendary, they would lose A LOT of players.

With ESO scheduled to come out in the spring, at least when I last looked, after ascended crafting, I wouldn’t expect to see any major game redesigns any time soon. They won’t risk alienating huge swathes of players, it’s just too risky on the dawn of ESO which arguably is the most anticipated MMO in the history of MMOs. Ultimately, I think it will fall flat and disappoint because many many people will be going in there expecting Skyrim as an MMO, which it won’t be, and can never be for so many reasons.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

They have said multiple times that they plan on increasing the cap.
Although, I don’t think they will do it without an expansion.

Leamas.5803

They might have said it, but I can’t see how they can do it without losing tons of players. I tell my kid I’m going to beat him all the time, doesn’t mean I’m going to do it.

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Increasing the level cap = multi slaps across the face for people who have a lot of characters and a lot of different types of transmuted gear.

So no. I don’t want level cap increase. It is a complete waste of time.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I hope not. All the people who maxed out expensive exotic armor and weapons, some of whom got more than one set for different areas of the game, all will need to completely redo this. And I’m not even going to factor in the ascended stuff.

They need to stay at level 80. It would be heartbreaking to have to grind out more gear for no real reason.

And all the transmutation stones that will be needed. :/

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Leamas.5803

I hope not. All the people who maxed out expensive exotic armor and weapons, some of whom got more than one set for different areas of the game, all will need to completely redo this. And I’m not even going to factor in the ascended stuff.

They need to stay at level 80. It would be heartbreaking to have to grind out more gear for no real reason.

And all the transmutation stones that will be needed. :/

I would leave the game before I regear.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Even if lv 90 or 100 was added it probably won’t mean what you think it means. In most games a level cap increase would equal power creep but in those games power creep doesn’t really matter as much. Those games don’t have downscaling so high level characters can already go around oneshotting low level enemies, who cares if you can start oneshotting this for more damage?

Extra skill points is obviously pointless since we can get piles of those anyway. Additional trait points are also unlikely unless they want to completely redo the traits for some classes.

What might be possible would be additional utility skills/weapon types(or even new weapon skills for existing weapon) being available to a class only after lv X. As the new stuff are different but equal they wouldn’t be causing power creep or balance issues. They would still provide a compelling reason for many people get to the new cap.

On the other hand raising the level cap in GW2 is pointless unless you want power creep and/or the chore of replacing all the gear. Ascended gear magnifies the problem with gear replacement. Actually getting to the new level cap would be a piece of cake unless they do something crazy with the exp curve. Even if they went from 80 to 100 it would still be possible to reach the new cap on release day.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I would be very disappointed if Gw2 had it’s level cap increased. It would be like ANet finding a loophole in order to continue with vertical power progression while not doing another tier of gear.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Leamas.5803

I would be very disappointed if Gw2 had it’s level cap increased. It would be like ANet finding a loophole in order to continue with vertical power progression while not doing another tier of gear.

The problem they face is that they HAVE to increase the stats and level on the legendary weapons if they’re going to introduce a new top end tier since they are the ultimate and best weapons in the game. But what happens to all the other level 80 gear? What of Exotic and Ascended? Will a new tier be added between ascended and legendary? Will ascended get bumped to 90 and legendary to 100? It all spells bad news and will cause many people to leave the game. If they want to add another tier and bump the level to 100, their best option for player retention is to bump everyone currently in the game up and create a new tier on the bottom. This isn’t a shiny new game anymore and they can’t be running around alienating huge amounts of players or they will simply leave.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

The problem they face is that they HAVE to increase the stats and level on the legendary weapons if they’re going to introduce a new top end tier since they are the ultimate and best weapons in the game. But what happens to all the other level 80 gear? What of Exotic and Ascended? Will a new tier be added between ascended and legendary? Will ascended get bumped to 90 and legendary to 100? It all spells bad news and will cause many people to leave the game. If they want to add another tier and bump the level to 100, their best option for player retention is to bump everyone currently in the game up and create a new tier on the bottom. This isn’t a shiny new game anymore and they can’t be running around alienating huge amounts of players or they will simply leave.

Bumping existing player’s would defeat the purpose of having a higher level cap. The only reason to increase the level cap is for vertical power progression. If you automatically skip people from the current cap to the next cap, it’s like wasting development time. You’d be alienating new players by forcing them to spend more time leveling than existing players. Doing those two things together is a double whammy bad move.

The only reason to do a vertical progression treadmill is because you can’t put out content. Clearly ANet can rapidly put out content, they just need to work on the quality and also the quantity somewhat.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

There will be one as sure as the amen in church, the question is only when and how it will be implemented.
Mike O’Brien self spoke about it, that they want to do with GW2 this time, about what GW1 wasn’t designed for and couldn’t be designed for due to GW1 being based on alot of different mechanics.

This is also the reason, why GW2 directly started with such a high max level (normally you can expect MMORPG’s to start around with a Max Level auf 50-60 and not directly with 80, so that there is space for Expansions to raise it per expansion very high, so that people will want to buy the Expansions automatically).

I expect 3 big expansions for that I guess will this Game get over time and each of them will raise the cap significantly, so that raising the cap makes also sense, that you can’t reach basically the new cap directly within 1 day.

I think when GW2 reaches the point of the maximum character development, that this game will have Max Level 250.

1st big Expansion: Cantha
Raises Max Level from 80 to 150.

2nd big Expansion: Elona
Raises Max Level from 150 to 200

3rd big Expansion: Utopia
Raises Max Level from 200 to 250

My personal guessings, so don’t take these numbers too serious, it are at least numbers where a level cap increase at least would make sense. An increase for only 5-10 Levels makes no sense.

Each Level Cap increase means, that Anet is able to implement with the expansions new challenges, that require of the player to develop their characters further to overcome those new dangers, thus it gives the player the impression of character development and thats very important, because it drives us to the point to keep on playing the game.
A game, that feels stagnant, becomes quickly boring. But if there is ongoing character development in various forms (new skills, new traits, split up of traits into traits, abilities and talents, sub classes, new weapons, including existing ones given to class X too, ect. thats content with that you can make up for long time good character development, without having to touch ever again gears, but these are naturally also somethign, that will get in future improved.. legendary armors, accessoires, upgrades will be surely also somethign that wil come in future)

But also other ways of character development are important, which need to find their ways into the game, through other gameplay features, like Housing and Mounts.

Skill Skins are another way of indirect character development to individualize our characters and their skills, something that originally the traits should be for and for what I see my suggestion about Abilities among a splitted up trait system being perfect fittign for, that you could unlock new skill skins, if you mastered an Ability to the max for a weapon skill.
——

SPvP players have nothing to fear about Level cap increases anyway, the cap increase and gears ectp get automatically set to Maximum as always.

Leveling in this game is super easy, you also may not forget, that we will see new personal story, which will help us leveling, as also too more new skill points, vistas and in general new explorable areas that give exp everytiime you visit a new place the first time. New dungeons also maybe too that are bonded with the next personal story parts and so on ..

Really can’t understand ,why so many peopel are so scared of level cap increases, when this game is so extreme easy in regard of leveling and if you have no will to do it the normal way.. just play in future SPvp and you will be able to buy/earn you scrolls of wisdom, that will give you instantly a Level up …
If you participated in the WvW Season and opened the reward chest, there you got also 10 of these useful scrolls, and I’m sure we wil lsee in future again more of those seasons. With every achievement point you make you slowly also raise the account bonus for all your gained Exp. and you can use naturally also exp boosters to further increase your speed of gaining new levels…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

If another game with proper horizontal progression comes out, and the wvw crowd leaves, they will probably do it then.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

they should stick with 80 and just add more trait lines and trait points.

Posted by: MAD CAT.9321

MAD CAT.9321

I’m quitting if I have to level up more.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

While ANet did say that they purposefully left the option to raise the level cap in game, at this point I don’t think they would. Doing so would render the efforts of a good portion of their player base irrelevant. Too many people have put work into obtaining Ascended and Legendary items to have them rendered obsolete by a level increase, and if ANet did so they would probably loose a good many players.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: MAD CAT.9321

MAD CAT.9321

There’s just no reason to raise the level cap… just add more zones and make them 80.

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

There are a million ways to do progression without raising the level cap and forcing everyone to go replace all of their hard-earned gear. New skills are a step in the right direction.

I hope we never see a level cap increase. If we ever do, I hope it isn’t accompanied by higher-level gear. If I wanted the endless pursuit of better gear, I’d be playing a different game.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Raising levels would inevitably add a new level of gear rendering your hard worked for soul bound unsalvageable ascended gear useless. If it ever happens I will probably set fire to my PC.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

They have said multiple times that they plan on increasing the cap.
Although, I don’t think they will do it without an expansion.

I would like you to post a link where they said that they plan on it. I know they have said before that it isn’t off of the table. If it does happen I know I wont have to spend 25-35 hours a week playing this game anymore.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

There are a million ways to do progression without raising the level cap and forcing everyone to go replace all of their hard-earned gear. New skills are a step in the right direction.

I hope we never see a level cap increase. If we ever do, I hope it isn’t accompanied by higher-level gear. If I wanted the endless pursuit of better gear, I’d be playing a different game.

Didn’t stop them from doing ascended.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

Didn’t stop them from doing ascended.

I’m willing to forgive them from that mistake if they can show me that they’ve learned from it. Time will tell.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Hopefully never. Primarily it would likely go along with higher level armors and weapons that would make all the time gating currently totally pointless.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

I hope not. But probably yes. If I am done with ascended gear and legendary I will rage quit the day I hear of it and have to regear my mesmer/guard/thief from scratch at a new level. I didn’t buy guildwars to gear treadmill.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

My guess is they’ll definitely increase the level cap and add more tier gear. They’ve pretty much driven off a large chunk of the community that was opposed to that; ArenaNet logic therefore means they need to please the remainder by adding more of what this game never needed and nobody wanted…

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

You will be able to buy levelups starting next tuesday.
That alone is reason enough to expect no levelcap increase in the 0-80 style, because it would be useless right away.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

My guess is they’ll definitely increase the level cap and add more tier gear. They’ve pretty much driven off a large chunk of the community that was opposed to that; ArenaNet logic therefore means they need to please the remainder by adding more of what this game never needed and nobody wanted…

Sir! You look like you would be interested in our newest line of tinfoil hats! Not only are they stylish and unique, but come with many optional features! This little beauty for example will not only keep aliens from reading your mind, but comes with a truly resplendent sunshade and a removable mosquito net!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

I don’t mind having higher level cap, but I don’t see it coming. At all. They would have to add more levels to Crafting, all your hard earn exotics and soon-to-be ascended gear will mean nothing. I just don’t see it right now.
And they can’t always give upgrades to their existing stuff it loses the purpose of leveling and progressing.

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I sincerely hope not. I hate grinding for levels, I’d rather just play with what I have and enjoy actual content.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Sir! You look like you would be interested in our newest line of tinfoil hats! Not only are they stylish and unique, but come with many optional features! This little beauty for example will not only keep aliens from reading your mind, but comes with a truly resplendent sunshade and a removable mosquito net!

If they actually put a tinfoil hat in the game, I’d be sorely tempted to log in and try and get one

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

If the level cap is increased and our gear and work thrown down the bin – I think I may probably quit the game.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Hka.3942

If they actually put a tinfoil hat in the game, I’d be sorely tempted to log in and try and get one

It probably would be in the gem store though.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

No. Adding new skills, traits, weapon skills, new content and such is much more important than increasing levels by 10 or 20.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

If another game with proper horizontal progression comes out, and the wvw crowd leaves, they will probably do it then.

There’s TSW with proper horizontal progression but it seems no one likes that game for some reason.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I think when GW2 reaches the point of the maximum character development, that this game will have Max Level 250.

1st big Expansion: Cantha
Raises Max Level from 80 to 150.

2nd big Expansion: Elona
Raises Max Level from 150 to 200

3rd big Expansion: Utopia
Raises Max Level from 200 to 250

If they are going to release expansions i doubt they would increase levels by that much. My guess would be 90 in Cantha, 100 in Elona and in Utopia zero levels added. Utopia would be more like an expansion focusing on adding landmass and new places to explore, new cities, new races, new features, mounts and reworks of old content that could be done better. When Utopia releases they hopefully will have technology that will let them to build much bigger zones. Like 5-10x as big as the zones which are now. If Utopia is ever made that will be in like 8-10 years. Cantha in 2-3. Elona in 5-6.