Will we receive gear refunds with HoT?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

You played with this gear in the current patch/expansion which means you got your use out of it, get over it you’ll live.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

When HoT arrives and huge, sweeping changes are made to core aspects of the game that will make some of our alts unplayable, will we be able to get a gold refund for the gear that will now be useless?

The least ArenaNet should do is allow us to repick the stats of our gear. Just like people can do all the time with legendary items, and just like ArenaNet did when they removed magic find gear from the game.

They pretty much have no real reason to not do that.

If they don’t announce it, simply vote with your wallet. Don’t buy HoT or gems until ArenaNet implements it.

As far as I’m seeing, they have no reason to let people reroll their gear. Boycotting the game because they’re not going to reset your gear (which remains unchanged from when you got it) seems asinine.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

When HoT arrives and huge, sweeping changes are made to core aspects of the game that will make some of our alts unplayable, will we be able to get a gold refund for the gear that will now be useless?

The least ArenaNet should do is allow us to repick the stats of our gear. Just like people can do all the time with legendary items, and just like ArenaNet did when they removed magic find gear from the game.

They pretty much have no real reason to not do that.

If they don’t announce it, simply vote with your wallet. Don’t buy HoT or gems until ArenaNet implements it.

As Lanfear and pdavis have noted above, there’s absolutely no reason to allow anyone to re-select stats for their gear. NO stat options are being removed from the game with HoT as MF was before, they are going to roll the stat increases from traits into base stats and weapons/armors, that can be done across the board. Changing how conditions work does not affect anything with stats, as a matter of fact, I’ll be more than happy to take my ranger and burn warduke to death, should he need to have the improved mechanics of conditions demonstrated to him. Further more, in one of his later posts he specifically mentions WvW…well, that’s just a subset of GW2, there’s also PvE and PvP…and these changes affect the entire game.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

As Lanfear and pdavis have noted above, there’s absolutely no reason to allow anyone to re-select stats for their gear. NO stat options are being removed from the game with HoT as MF was before,

They are.

Right now, we can do gear + stats from traits. Due to how gear selection is limited, there aren’t ways to convert all possible stats options from traits to gear. With the removal of stats from traits, we have lost stats combinations that are not possible with the gear we have right now.

Ergo, and rather obviously for anyone who has thought about this issue for more than half a second, there are plenty of good reasons for ArenaNet to allow people to change the stats of their gear.

It’s kinda amazing that so many people are asking for that right now and yet a few haven’t even tried to understand where that plea is coming from.

In fact, and rather obviously as well, there is no good reason for ArenaNet to not allow people to change the stats of their gear when this hit. Honestly, what do you think they would lose by doing that? Why are you even against the idea in the first place?

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

I don’t sense that people are necessarily against it. It’s just that most people in this thread are saying that it’s not really needed and extremely unlikely it will happen.

Also, where are these “so many people” that are asking for this? Not in this thread as far as I can tell, so where?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

As Lanfear and pdavis have noted above, there’s absolutely no reason to allow anyone to re-select stats for their gear. NO stat options are being removed from the game with HoT as MF was before,

They are.

Right now, we can do gear + stats from traits. Due to how gear selection is limited, there aren’t ways to convert all possible stats options from traits to gear. With the removal of stats from traits, we have lost stats combinations that are not possible with the gear we have right now.

Ergo, and rather obviously for anyone who has thought about this issue for more than half a second, there are plenty of good reasons for ArenaNet to allow people to change the stats of their gear.

It’s kinda amazing that so many people are asking for that right now and yet a few haven’t even tried to understand where that plea is coming from.

In fact, and rather obviously as well, there is no good reason for ArenaNet to not allow people to change the stats of their gear when this hit. Honestly, what do you think they would lose by doing that? Why are you even against the idea in the first place?

So the buff to gear stats to account for the loss from the traits doesn’t count?

I understand where the plea is coming from. Players have spent time and money to get a certain set of gear with a certain set of stats.

Those sets of stats are not going away. They are being buffed. As well as the base line stats on each profession.

“We feel that separating build choices from stat decisions provides greater build flexibility, so you’ll no longer gain attribute points through a given line. Where will these stats go? Here’s a quick summary:
•Base player stats will be increased from 926 to 1000.
•Base attribute points on equipment will be increased so that all the gear in the game will give higher stats than it did before. This should account for most of the missing points.
•Each profession’s attributes will be updated to have half of their functionality be part of a specialization and half of their functionality will be a baseline for that profession. For example, elementalists now have a base attunement recharge of 10 seconds, which is reduced to 8.7 seconds when the arcane specialization is equipped.

These changes should keep the total stat numbers roughly the same as they were before, even though you’ll get them from different places.”
(https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-one-a-primer/)

So this change allows for greater build flexibility than with the current way of doing things.

So you can still rock your rabid gear, with buffed stats, and pick your trait lines, and still maintain the same results (if not better) than choosing stats from a trait line.
It gives more options for more builds regardless of what gear you are wearing.

I don’t see what the issue is. It seems to me that it’s mostly QQing over a fear that hasn’t been confirmed that gear selecetion is going to make build obsolete. I still don’t see how it will make alts (or mains for that matter) “unplayable” as the OP suggests.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

They are.

A lot of the “issue” being brought up can be fixed with an adjustment to the trinkets being ran if it’s really that big of an issue. Which, I think if it were, Anet would be doing a bit more with the stat redistribution. Beyond simply upping base character and gear stats.

Now, there is a valid concern regarding boon and condition duration boosts that were obtainable from trait lines; however, this hasn’t been addressed one way or the other as to how they are going to handle it. We’ll just have to wait a bit and see. They may nix those completely, they might roll them into a unique couple of sets of trinkets, they might adjust gear (though this one is the furthest down on my possibilities list honestly), they might just adjust the base duration of the condis/boons as a whole to account for it. We don’t know because we don’t have all of the information regarding these 2 specifics, probably because they don’t know exactly what they’re doing with them yet either.

For general purpose though, there is no reason to give everyone a free stat reroll. Its just not needed.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Test.8734

I don’t see what the issue is.

It’s good you understand that.

Let me say it slowly: people who like to play smart plan their builds. Which means, when people pick the stats they want to have, they do so considering the stats they get with the combination of gear and traits.

So if someone is making a build focusing on Power, Precision, Condition Damage and Condition Duration… With the gear options we currently have, that player would get gear focusing on Power, Precision and Condition Damage. What about condition duration? The player would get it from traits, and thus finish his build.

Now, stats are being removed from traits.

So, our example would get more Power, more Precision and more Condition Damage from his gear. Yay? No, irrelevant. What about the condition duration that came from the traits? Is there any gear that has the combination of condition duration + power + precision, or condition duration + power + condition damage, or condition duration + precision + condition damage?

Wow, look at that! No, there isn’t!

Which means, the stats combination that player had, the stats combination the player had planned, and the stats combination the player build his gear and his trait around – don’t exist anymore.

So, the player’s build has been invalidated. The gear he had no longer leads to the result he had.

Do you understand now, finally, why are there so many players asking for a chance to change the stats on their gear now?

And, for the records, do you have any even half good reason as to why ArenaNet shouldn’t allow people to change the stats of their items?

For general purpose though, there is no reason to give everyone a free stat reroll. Its just not needed.

You have no reason for ArenaNet to not give everyone a free stat reroll. And you are ignoring how people build with the stats from their own traits in mind, not only stats from gear.

(edited by Test.8734)

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Take for example the changes to burning. The burning condition is in a good place right now. It does high damage but with low duration and can be easily cleansed. I’ve never seen anyone complaining about it being overpowered.

For some reason you’ve decided to make the burn condition a stackable condition like bleeding. You’ve decided to lower the damage of burn, too.

What this means is that certain current class/specs will be useless.

I’m almost positive this whole assumption is wrong and burning will be “stackable” in the sense that 2 players will be able to have burning ticking on one enemy at the same time, but not in the sense that it will stack in intensity like bleeding (which would be a terrible change and I cant see them doing it, burning was designed to be different from bleeding for a good reason). So, unless im wrong, no, your condi builds will not be useless and you wont need new gear.

People who had hybrid builds that relied on stats from traits will need “new” gear, and I cant see why it would be difficult for the devs to code in a vendor that can exchange pieces of ascended gear for ones with different stats, so we’ll see if they actually do so. I have hybrid builds and I could care less, at most I will have to change out one or two pieces of jewelry, but I guess I can see how the 1% of 1% of the population who are altaholics + play hybrid builds + are obsessive about exact stat values would be kittened off.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

snipped because my reply boils down to one thing below

Anet hasnt stated the exact specifics to what they’re adding/changing to armor stats. Cart goes after the horse, not before it. Flip a kitten after you know more.

Maybe they’re making condi duration a derivative of condi damage (sorta like crit damage is a derivative of ferocity now)? Who knows. Sit tight and watch.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Yes like the re-stat after MF gear was removed, and this is why I personally expect they will allow stat changes with the new trait system, since they have already set that precedent…

Celestial simply had its magic find stat removed.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

plan their builds.

Then I suggest planning ahead. You know the change is coming. Prepare your T6 materials and Ascended crafting materials now.

Get your skill point challenges done now.

It’s not like there’s some big secret change coming in the night. ANet has been significantly more transparent than I expected about the upcoming changes, which gives us all time to prepare for them.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Test.8734

snipped because my reply boils down to one thing below

Anet hasnt stated the exact specifics to what they’re adding/changing to armor stats. Cart goes after the horse, not before it. Flip a kitten after you know more.

Maybe they’re making condi duration a derivative of condi damage (sorta like crit damage is a derivative of ferocity now)? Who knows. Sit tight and watch.

Yes, it’s definitely wiser to wait until after they have implemented the change and people have already began selling and buying gear in order to adapt, and THEN ask for a gear respec, than asking for one right now.

It’s probably why it’s a good idea to try to jump from an airplane and see if you die, because if that happens, then you know it may be a good idea to bring a parachute next time, right?

/sarcasm

Listen, stop cuddling ArenaNet like they are a bunch of babies. If they have somehow a magic fix to this issue that solves all issues with gear changes after the trait overhaul, great. Then all the complaining about it would have been meaningless, and we would have only wasted our time. If, in other hand, ArenaNet has not thought about what they are going to break with the trait change (just like they have not thought about many of the many, many things previous patchs have broken), then a gear respec is something we know they can do, and so far no one has given a reason as to why that would hurt the game.

ArenaNet doesn’t really need you to tell people they cannot do something. ArenaNet doesn’t need you to tell players they won’t give a gear respec option. ArenaNet is not a baby that is going to cry because the mean players are asking for a very reasonable solution for an issue, and you are not their baby sitter.

Then I suggest planning ahead. You know the change is coming. Prepare your T6 materials and Ascended crafting materials now.

What about everyone who got their ascended armors and weapons before the change was announced, based on how the game works right now? Should they be punished because they didn’t predict ArenaNet would make such a big change? Or could ArenaNet simply fix the issue by giving people a gear respec?

pdavis.8031

I don’t see what the issue is.

It’s good you understand that.

Let me say it slowly: people who like to play smart plan their builds. Which means, when people pick the stats they want to have, they do so considering the stats they get with the combination of gear and traits.

So if someone is making a build focusing on Power, Precision, Condition Damage and Condition Duration… With the gear options we currently have, that player would get gear focusing on Power, Precision and Condition Damage. What about condition duration? The player would get it from traits, and thus finish his build.

Now, stats are being removed from traits.

So, our example would get more Power, more Precision and more Condition Damage from his gear. Yay? No, irrelevant. What about the condition duration that came from the traits? Is there any gear that has the combination of condition duration + power + precision, or condition duration + power + condition damage, or condition duration + precision + condition damage?

Wow, look at that! No, there isn’t!

Which means, the stats combination that player had, the stats combination the player had planned, and the stats combination the player build his gear and his trait around – don’t exist anymore.

So, the player’s build has been invalidated. The gear he had no longer leads to the result he had.

Do you understand now, finally, why are there so many players asking for a chance to change the stats on their gear now?

And, for the records, do you have any even half good reason as to why ArenaNet shouldn’t allow people to change the stats of their items?

Ok let me write it crayon for you.

“So if someone is making a build focusing on Power, Precision, Condition Damage and Condition Duration… With the gear options we currently have, that player would get gear focusing on Power, Precision and Condition Damage. What about condition duration? The player would get it from traits, and thus finish his build.”

If someone is making a build focusing on Power, Precision, Condition Damage and Condition Duration… With the gear options we currently have, that player would get gear focusing on Power, Precision and Condition Damage. This isn’t changing. There is no reason to allow for a re-roll of stats. However, we also don’t know how secondary stats will be awarded.

" What about condition duration?"
How do we know that condition duration isn’t going to be tied into a new trait?
We do know that some traits will be removed, others added, and some changed. There is nothing to suggest that secondary stats will be removed at all. In fact, the blog concerning this, seems to point that all the stats will be pretty much the same.
There is no reason not to tie in any of the secondary stats into the primary ones. (i.e. Condi duration increases with Condition damage.

In short. We don’t have enough information to say that certain gear will become obsolete. Period. It’s an unjustified and unfounded concern.

As for a reason why not to re-roll stats. Because there is no reason TO re-roll stats. Also, gear is not becoming obsolete. Stats aren’t being removed.

This discussion reminds me of the ferocity change. Everyone was QQing and crying how the zerker meta would die, and how so unfair it was, and how now that their zerker gear was now obsolete, and they spent so much money on it, etc. etc.

Guess what? NOTHING CHANGED! Zerk is still king, and everything went back to normal within a couple of days of the implementation. The same thing will happen here.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

… what? conditions across the board are gonna be MORE useful not less… and ofc condition applying skills will be changed, just like stability applying skills got changed, when they added stackable stabilty…

How will conditions be MORE useful with the advent of condi immunity as a boon? It really seems to me like they want to kill condi roamers altogether.

That’s not enough of an indicator to show they won’t be useful. Try more.

Test.8734

We do know that some traits will be removed, others added, and some changed.

So you still don’t understand the most basic point of this discussion, that stats are going to be removed from traits? Despite how it has been said over and over and over?

Well, I’ll repeat for you: stats are going to be removed from traits.

So no, condition damage or duration or power or precision won’t be “tied into a new trait”. We know that because ArenaNet has spoken about it, and it has been heavily discussed in the forum and read by those who were paying attention.

Considering how that’s the exact reason why people are asking for a gear respec, what do you think you have been talking about in this topic?

pdavis.8031

How will conditions be MORE useful with the advent of condi immunity as a boon? It really seems to me like they want to kill condi roamers altogether.

You also realize that conditions can still be applied, but they wont take effect when that boon is active right? Meaning they have the boon up, you stack on conditions, boon goes away, player gets hit with all the conditions at once. Pretty much dropping them like a rock. Don’t forget that condi immunity is a boon which means it can be stripped/converted as well.

So yeah, conditions can and will still be very useful.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

So you still don’t understand the most basic point of this discussion, that stats are going to be removed from traits? Despite how it has been said over and over and over?

So no, condition damage or duration or power or precision won’t be “tied into a new trait”. We know that because ArenaNet has spoken about it, and it has been heavily discussed in the forum and read by those who were paying attention.

Considering how that’s the exact reason why people are asking for a gear respec, what do you think you have been talking about in this topic?

But we don’t know the specific yet. For exemple, profession specific stats are split between baseline and the trait line.

We don’t know what they will do with condition duration and boon duration. They could give them baseline, they could give new stats combinaison with boon or condi duration, they could do something else we simply don’t know.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

And I’ll repeat it for you: the missing stat points will be shuffled around to produce little or no net change.

Actually, you’re wrong. Did you even read the first post of this topic?

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

pdavis.8031

The basic point of this discussion is: That my gear may become obsolete and unplayable and I want to change it for free.

Also you missed the part where I talked about secondary stats (i.e. condition duration, boon duration, etc.) Which are far different than primary stats. (i.e. Power, precision, condition damage.)

Yes stats are being removed from trait lines. But they also have a system in place that allows players to have the same stats as before. As said in the blog (if you were paying attention)

But if stats are being removed from traits, and being awarded from different sources (as said in the blog if you paid attention) why should a gear stat re-roll be given?

recognize my command!”

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

Entitled gamers feel entitled to everything, but they are entitled to nothing :-)

Edit: …except for a fun, rewarding game play experience :-) No free gear tho.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist