Will we see Tengu playable in gw2's life?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

Q:

Actually it’s mostly aimed at Tengu but why not ask for any playable race at this point right? Also I’d like to hear possible ways they’d be brought in conflicts and solutions to personal story and going into dialogue since the PC is usually called commander now. I’d like to see their personal story held within the large area that is their home(Dominion of Wind) fighting off the Mordremoth then confirmation of like the Deep Sea Dragon waking and minions attacking the shoreline of their home. Tengu perhaps after pushing its minions back have their elders finally come to an agreement of needing allies being that this enemy is too strong to fight alone thus opening the gates to LA. It would require it’s own dialogue playing Tengu until a certain point of conditions being met that the PC Tengu then achieves the rank of Commander and returning all dialogue to the same course. I feel that would help implement them without the need of Zhaitan maybe implement their story around the course of taking down the DSD like the original motley crew with Zhaitan. It would have a gw1 feel to me with the replaying past events entering factions and nightfall.

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

A:

A new race is not certain to not come in the game.
All the voices saying that a new race will not come to the game are just speculations.

From my point of view a new race is one of the most possible options.
I would like to play it, and I think that the limitation that people come up with like where it would be placed in the story, the amount of work put into it is not impossible for arenanet to achieve.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Pretty certain we will never see a new race. There are a lot of obstacles to overcome;

- How to treat the personal story. ie use it or ignore it
- Additional layers of VA – both for hiring and scheduling/recording. Multiplied across all supported languages
- Making sure armours are compatible w/o the clipping issues Charr have
- Will the time spent making them yield more than new content?
- Which race gets the nod? Once one goes in, it opens the flood of requests for more, thus looping round to the other points.

Tengu appears to have the best chance compared to say Largos which appears to have an incredibly low chance, but I’m not seeing any ever get added. The work to make them fit appears to outweigh the potential gains and it’s not like we don’t have a decent number of races anyway.

New races also risk becoming watered down versions when made playable. Look at Norn as the classic example who are a shadow of what they were in GW1. Would the Largos be more interesting as a playable race? Very doubtful.

So no, I can’t see it happening and is probably why they gave us that combat usable Kodan tonic as well.

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

So no, I can’t see it happening and is probably why they gave us that combat usable Kodan tonic as well.

As someone who’d love playable Koda, I found this to be the great compromise.

I think the best we can hope for is an endless Tengu tonic.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

TheJokester.4672

Well Randulf I agree for the most part however I feel inclined to think we should get at least 1 maybe 2 in total the Tengu themself had/have a home that has been their since launch possibly even beta and were originally going to give us a total of 6 playable races to begin with. I do agree that it would take countless hours and effort to get all the VA, managing armor meshes to the model, creating their cultural armor, and animations if they aren’t already there as well as personal story. I just hate to think and see the race go to waste when it has been there from the start.

Randulf.7614

I’m not against a new race by any means and I agree Tengu is in the best place for it, but it would still surprise me to ever see one, based purely on how things have panned out for the game up to this point.

Only time will prove me right or wrong. If it’s any consolation, I’m usually wrong on these matters, so you’ll probably get your wish

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Tengu Tonic.

IF they do extensive tengu model work and IF they do a cantha expansion there may be room for a tengu playable race whose personal story starts off there. It always comes back to voice acting though.

TheJokester.4672

Tengu Tonic.

IF they do extensive tengu model work and IF they do a cantha expansion there may be room for a tengu playable race whose personal story starts off there. It always comes back to voice acting though.

Couldn’t they do it so the voice acting for multiple tengu outside of the ones in dominion to only have major voice acting needed for the what is it now used to be levels 1-15 then you were joining one of the orders. Why not cut it down to that then the gates open obviously most are stuck in their ways and will stay in Dominion so they wont have to do extensive voice acting beyond that mainly only for your character. I mean there are ways to cut corners rather than to bring the whole game around them and their people.

Randulf.7614

A VA set for your main char is pretty extensive and needs ongoing commitment for each new story chapter and scheduling across all languages and for male/female. There’s no way to cut corners on that.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

why are people so obsessed with the bird people? who cares! life goes on.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Tengu Tonic.

Couldn’t they do it so the voice acting for multiple tengu outside of the ones in dominion to only have major voice acting needed for the what is it now used to be levels 1-15 then you were joining one of the orders. Why not cut it down to that then the gates open obviously most are stuck in their ways and will stay in Dominion so they wont have to do extensive voice acting beyond that mainly only for your character. I mean there are ways to cut corners rather than to bring the whole game around them and their people.

I’m thinking all the current living story, HoT, dungeons, raids and every other instance of voice acting already ingame that I cannot think of. Its a lot of back work. Just saying “read the text” for anything before tengu introduction is just sloppy and not anet.

TheJokester.4672

I’m thinking all the current living story, HoT, dungeons, raids and every other instance of voice acting already ingame that I cannot think of. Its a lot of back work. Just saying “read the text” for anything before tengu introduction is just sloppy and not anet.

well I meant outside of dominion instead of flooding out like 20-30 npcs all over and needing to VA their stuff focus near solely on the PC tengu yes it is a lot but no where near as much as having to do VA for 30+ bodies. obviously being anet there will be some fully voiced npc’s as well but I’m just saying do as few of them as possible.

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

I hope not, tbh. While i’m not generally against new races, i think this would be an effort barely worth it. They would have to put an insane amount of ressources and effort into creating a race that the minority of people would play, which otherwise could’ve been used on new content that’d be beneficial to everyone.

I think the combat tonics they’ve started to use are a good compromise. You can play as the races you want, without them having to put all that work into the “background”.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No. For the reasons others have already listed. Primarily it’s too much of a time sync and has too little payoff in terms of drawing in new players and retaining old ones.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

The only way I can see us getting new races is if we get a separate part of the world to explore where only the new races can reside. Basically a parallel game, on a different continent.

A new, cordoned-off area would eliminate all of the problems of backfill that prevent new races from being available.

TheJokester.4672

Well then if there is no hope what do I do with my account? could I just say anet take it until your next game and I get it free? because honestly this game has potential and the absolute only reason I even touch it now is the hope of a new race to be somewhat soon and for it to be Tengu because I’m biased. Given the same time frame that I’ve owned this game to the original guildwars I’ve put in less than half the hours I did with gw1 I had near 7k total hours in 5 years of gw1 and not even 2.5k yet I think in gw2. and nope I’ve been back playing around for about 2 or 3 weeks now and I’m at 2468 hours.

Edit: My bad not just a race but maybe a glimmer of light to Cantha. Factions was my favorite campaign favorite class was Dervish. Kinda really sucked when I got all these scythes all these elite armor; obsidian even, and then dervish doesn’t exist in gw2.

(edited by TheJokester.4672)

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Well then if there is no hope what do I do with my account? could I just say anet take it until your next game and I get it free? because honestly this game has potential and the absolute only reason I even touch it now is the hope of a new race to be somewhat soon and for it to be Tengu because I’m biased. Given the same time frame that I’ve owned this game to the original guildwars I’ve put in less than half the hours I did with gw1 I had near 7k total hours in 5 years of gw1 and not even 2.5k yet I think in gw2. and nope I’ve been back playing around for about 2 or 3 weeks now and I’m at 2468 hours.

Edit: My bad not just a race but maybe a glimmer of light to Cantha. Factions was my favorite campaign favorite class was Dervish. Kinda really sucked when I got all these scythes all these elite armor; obsidian even, and then dervish doesn’t exist in gw2.

Hey Anet, I played your game for two and a half thousand hours, but I want something you don’t have in the game. If I stop now, since I only played for two and a half thousand hours, how about you give me the next game for free?

Sure, doesn’t sound the least bit unreasonable to me.

TheJokester.4672

Hey Anet, I played your game for two and a half thousand hours, but I want something you don’t have in the game. If I stop now, since I only played for two and a half thousand hours, how about you give me the next game for free?

Sure, doesn’t sound the least bit unreasonable to me.

it really doesn’t at least I’m not asking for what my $4,000+ refund and a free game oh and if you look in the guild wars 2 registry or even do your research the tengu were going to be part of the original release but got pulled off thank you very much. and considering I paid for both expansion and game deluxe editions and have even thought or said anything positive says I still love the company just very unhappy with what has been done. Totally different games and company size but at least gw1 in 5 years had 3 full blown expansions with totally different continents along with thousands of hours worth of content.

Edit: before anyone says gw2 does too there isn’t a single thing in this game I havent done in my 2.5k hours besides really the better half of living story season 2 everything else however (100% world jumping puzzles fractals dungeons hot 100% completion all the metas) So I have literally touched every single thing this game has to offer in my mere 2.5k hours. But I can still log onto gw1 and go do quests I haven’t touched yet. and ps I do have the explorers for gw2 as well (shiverpeaks ascalon kryta etc)

(edited by TheJokester.4672)

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

IMO at some point new raids, new maps, new LS and even new elite specs will become the basic expectation line for players. Anything equal or less than that will not be truly valued by the players.
Then Anet will NEED to add new, unexplored, lore-heavy and truly integral to the game options to attract new people and retain veterans. IMO they will need to implement heavy additions to the character creation itself and strong changes to the basic storyline. That day they will have to choose to make those changes in the actual game, adding new races with totally different lore and storylines, or to simply put that same effort in GW3.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

IMO, Wooden Potatoes lays out the pros/cons pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oVADcOSTeY&t

For my part, I really hope Tengu is part of the next expansion.

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

This will be a long post so I put the summery in the front:

- The only thing that can prevent adding tengu as playable race is Anet time/human resorses. Lore, territory and mecanical problems are non existant.

- In HoT expansion tengu got a brand new model, skeleton and animation set, indicating that devs had some serious plans reguarding them.

- Adding a new playable race is a content that everyone can enjoy and some people may see as expansion selling point. And it requires almost the same amount of resorses as creation of raids (which are experienced by minor fraction of players).

Up there was a summery, let me expand it.

First of all, tengu can be added any time as a playable race without any problems with lore, territory or personal story. The Dominion of the Winds grants enough space for a race capital city and a starting location (as it was intended when there was a six playable race concept). We know that some individual tengu leave the Dominion to explore the world, trade or exterminate threats to there nation. Some of these tengu even end up in Pact forces during Zhaitan and Mordemoth campains (Izu Steelshrike, for example). Nothing restricts player character tengu in his personal story to leave homeland, join one of three orders and eventually become a Pact Commander.

Second point: either Anet has some serious plans for tengu, or they have the poorest managment ever. I’m talking about new HoT tengu models. Pre-HoT tengu use a mesh on top of charr skeleton and animation set. HoT Quetzal tengu have a unique mesh and animation set. It is an expensive thing to do, espessially if new tengu are barely used in HoT unlike new hylek.
For example: S3 Ep3 arctic quaggans got only a reskin (they use a normal baby quaggan model painted in black and white) and kodan, which are the focal point of episode, were not changed a bit. So either Anet has some big plans for tengu, or they are throwing there resorses into the dump.
New tengu were not used since original HoT once. Current plot comes nowhere near tengu. There are none in Ring of Fire (Primordus plot thread), Far Shiverpeaks (Jormag thread) or Kryta (White Mantle thread). Next expansion probably will be based around three these locations (or Crystal Desert/Elona), with no space to use new HoT tengu assets. So, either new HoT tengu were to be playable in next expansion, or Anet wasted a ton of money and time on them just for someones whim (and their managment is even worse then Konami).
Another deduction that I can make from this situation: if tengu won’t be added as playable in next expansion, they will never be playable. The final nail into coffin will be endless tengu tonic, as it was with kodan.

And one more thing. A lot of people write that a new playable race is not a content and will not benefit the game. Well, you are wrong. Playable races make the game. When you think of Warcraft you think of elves, orcs, trolls, drainei, tauren. When you think of Guild Wars you think of charr, asura, sylvari. The world itself is build from playable races. They are the eyes, through which the player observes the world.
And they are the apex of customisation. And Guild Wars is even often called Fashion Wars because of how much your character look matters. And I’m pretty sure that the part of players who would like their character to look like a samurai bird man is on par with demografic who wants to play as asura, charr or sylvari. These people want to play as something unique to GW and you can’t blame them for that. WoW added playable races 3 times in its history, and every time people enjoyed it and used these new races. Even the “hated” pandaren are now used by many, many players.

The last thing: new race is a content for everyone to enjoy. Lets be honest, if tengu were implemented as playable most of us would create a tengu character to experience there personal story and starting location(s). Unlike the raids, which require great amount of resorses, but experienced by a small fraction of players.
Playable race is a great content. Player sees his character most of the time, hears his voice most of the time. Customises his look, his gear. Cosmetic stuff from gemstore (which is Anets bread and butter) serves one purpose: to make a unique character even more unique.
If you think about that, GW2 could have (as GW1 did) one playable race – humans. And the content loss of such decision would be unimaginable. So, why not playable samurai-birds, then?

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

it really doesn’t at least I’m not asking for what my $4,000+ refund and a free game oh and if you look in the guild wars 2 registry or even do your research the tengu were going to be part of the original release but got pulled off thank you very much. and considering I paid for both expansion and game deluxe editions and have even thought or said anything positive says I still love the company just very unhappy with what has been done. Totally different games and company size but at least gw1 in 5 years had 3 full blown expansions with totally different continents along with thousands of hours worth of content.

Edit: before anyone says gw2 does too there isn’t a single thing in this game I havent done in my 2.5k hours besides really the better half of living story season 2 everything else however (100% world jumping puzzles fractals dungeons hot 100% completion all the metas) So I have literally touched every single thing this game has to offer in my mere 2.5k hours. But I can still log onto gw1 and go do quests I haven’t touched yet. and ps I do have the explorers for gw2 as well (shiverpeaks ascalon kryta etc)

Under no circumstances has ArenaNet ever sold a single thing under the pretense that you may be rewarded with a future game if you played enough hours on their first two products. You freely gave your money to the developers and spent your time enjoying the games that you purchased and were not at any point forced to purchase anything. It is completely unreasonable for you to turn around and then ask ArenaNet to give you a free game when you were never at any point offered a free game by ArenaNet.

ArenaNet NEVER advertised that tengu would be playable. Just as ArenaNet NEVER advertised Guild Wars Utopia or the chronomancer profession. The same thing that ArenaNet never advertised that According to The Making of Guild Wars 2 book, original drafts for story included demons and angelic beings descending to the world to judge it. Just because they were working on something and never advertised it does not mean we, as players, will see it, or MUST see it. We would like it, but ArenaNet are under no obligation to provide playable tengu.

PLUS to your comment of the number of playable hours in Guild Wars as opposed to Guild Wars 2, there is significantly more development per square mile of area in GW2 than there was in Guild Wars. First is the voice acting. Guild Wars had very little voice acting compared to the voice acting that GW2 has. Not only is all the voice acting for maybe a dozen races and thousands of characters with at least a sentence of dialogue each, many more for up front NPC’s and player characters, but there’s also all the various different dialogue dependong on what race, profession and order that you choose. THEN there’s all the writing that went in for all the voice acting AND all the text box dialogue options, again having unique options depending on choice of race, profession and order chosen. We ALSO have different dialogue depending on what choices we’ve made within our biography and our personal story, aside from the specific order, profession and race choices. THEN we get to how all of that was done for four languages, not just English. That’s all the dialogue and text ALONE. Compare that to all the dialogue and text within Guild Wars and see how much more development went into the dialogue for GW2 per square mile than there was in Guild Wars.

Then we have the completely different combat style, alongside jumping and all the development that would go into environmental design compared to the environment design that would be needed for areas that can’t be jumped over/into. Also underwater combat, the downed system, the completely different balancing system because everyone now has a heal and a powerful elite skill.

Then there’s the dynamic events system, heart completions and complete overhaul of the questing system. Also event scaling depending on the number of players in the area of and interacting with the dynamic event. Also level down scaling in PvE areas.

There’s a lot more in PvE, like the Living World Seasons and crafting. All the Armour rescaling and resizing, making sure there aren’t bugs with armour and varying heights and builds of characters. There’s simply too much to cover in PvE alone.

THEN there’s EVERYTHING WvWvW and PvP.

Simply put, it seems that more money went into GW2 per square mile than it did for Guild Wars, and thus that’s why there is ‘less’ playerside time investment.

So yeah, I think it’s so unreasonable to ask for a free game, especially with how much money and time you’ve spent in both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, that it’s borderline insulting to ArenaNet for simply not having a playable race that you wanted.