Will we see smallerscale, more casual PVP?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

I’m just going to say that Fort Aspenwood was by far my favorite PVP format in Guild Wars 1. For those who are not aware, the concept of it was that it was a 8v8 format where 8 players supported the Luxon side and 8 supported the Kurzick side. The goal of the Kurzicks was to protect the fort against Luxon invaders while repairing gates by running amber from mines and speeding up the building of a weapon that would wipe out the Luxon side. Meanwhile, the Luxons’ role was to invade the fort with the help of siege turtles and wipe out the Kurzick architect, Gunther, who oversaw the development of the weapon. (If you want a more in depth look on the format I encourage you to check out the wiki).

What I loved so much about FA was the combination of PVE and PVP aspects. It wasn’t just about capturing a spot and earning points or simply wiping out the other team before they could you. As well, it was small scale in that there were in total eighteen players with NPC’s to help you out to guard the fort and attack it. Not only that, but it was incredibly casual-friendly where you could play an array of different roles and experiement with different builds without being confined to the “meta.” Now, I know asepcts of FA were placed into WvW with the idea of defending forts and capturing important areas but the whole thing feels a little – to use the term – “zergy” and can be overwhelming due to its scope and not to mention laggy if you don’t have a super computer. My point is is that, currently, the only options a player has for PV kitten PVP (which is extremely competitive and not casual-friendly) and WvW, which is fine and all but has its issues.

What I’m trying to get as is that I very much hope in the future that we get PVP formats like Fort Aspenwood that are smaller scale, casual-friendly, yet still rewarding in some way. Thoughts?

Edit: I’m not really sure why the word “kitten” showed up where it did as I was referring to the PVP format called structured PVP

(edited by Justin.7163)

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

Sounds like this is a 2-part problem

1) Other than WvW (mass PvP) there is only 1 game mode for PvP, which is capture-these-circles. A few more like the FA one he mentioned above would be nice.

2) There is no incentive to sPvP unless you are super hardcore. Most people don’t like it because it doesn’t progress your character at all, outside of the Mists. Putting in such an incentive will attract more casual players.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

I hope ANet brings back some kind of alliance battle with the introduction of Cantha or Crystal Desert

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Curse Drew.8679

Curse Drew.8679

The wiki shows some upcomming plans, which i look forward to.

Structured PvP:

New maps.

Objectives other than conquest.

Rentable custom arenas in Structured PvP, for customizable scrimmages and duels.

World versus World:

Improving the commander functionality: Being discussed, but not being worked on yet.

Making Siegeweapons not soul bound: Planned, but currently not possible due to internal programming issues.

Dueling: The ability to duel other players in world.

Source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upcoming_changes_and_features

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Yeah and the Kurzicks had the overwhelming advantage in FA, it’s much easier to defend than it is to attack, especially since the siege turtles were so easy for Kurzicks to bug and get them stuck.

Not to mention if Kurzicks had Restoration Spirit Ritualist’s & Monks, it was VERY difficult to kill Gunther. But I’d still like to see something like this return, quite surprised (and very disappointed) that sPvP consists of ONLY capture and hold the points :\

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I’m surprised there’s no DotA mode. It’d be something I’d enjoy. I like the community in GW2 a lot better than in DotA2/LoL.

User was infracted for being awesome.