Windows 8, GW2, touch screen?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xocolatl.6890

Xocolatl.6890

Q:

1) Does the game support Win8?
2) If it does, is there any plan to let select my target via touch screen?
3) If this is not supported natively, is there a way to do it with some third party program/driver/arcane majicks?

So….this schmuck is trying to switch to Win8—he must be insane, right? Well, first of all, I don’t really mind Win8. And my Galaxy S2 is crapping out (it has horrible reception. I hope S3 is better, or God help those who bought the thing) and cuts off every other calls. I need my phone for work, so I can’t wait until next year for BB10 (Blackberry! Yes, yours truly is willing to eschew gaming for more productivity). So if I’m going to get a Windows phone, then I might as well upgrade to Win8, right, right?

Then it got me thinking—if I’m going to switch to a touch-based device, I might as well try to take advantage of that in game. I think it would be quite fun with a huge screen, and I get to “fling” my spells at people and hopefully not wreck my screen in the process.

Posted by: Zander.4573

Zander.4573

i have been using the win8 preview, what makes you think it wouldn’t work

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Works fine with Win8.

Touchscreen? Have no idea… playing an MMO using touchscreen sounds pretty much like it would be impossible to control?

Running it on a Win8 tablet? No dice, bro.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Fozee.1083

Fozee.1083

As stated before, it will work flawlessly on Windows 8.

As for the touch screen, taps are registered by the OS as a mouse click. So yes, you could tap on people to target them, or even tap on abilities to fire them. If you really wanted to get into it, it should be possible to set up some multi-touch commands. For example, putting 3 fingers on the screen could be like a joystick — move them forward a little and your character moves in that direction until you move them back to their origin… but this is advanced stuff and I’m not sure how to do it.

I don’t anticipate many tablets that will be able to play the game. For now, NO Windows 8 tablets will run normal Windows programs unless they were pre-installed. Once Windows 8 Pro tablets come out, you should be able to get one with an AMD APU that would run the game decently.

BioWare/Mythic Moderator, Terror Squid, and Funparty

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

Why would you want fingerprints all over your monitor? :\

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I’ve been playing on win8 since the first beta weekend (company msdn wootwoot), and I’ve bought myself an SSD few days before release (law of Moore wootwoot). I can comment that GW2 works under win8 without any problems (a.net wootwoot)

As for touch… no idea.

Tablets…. only when based on Intel CPU. GW2 won’t work on ARM-based Win8-RT tablets.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto