Winter's presence obtained!....but

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tonyajc.2618

tonyajc.2618

Dear Anet,

I finally obtained Winter’s presence. It’s super cool and looks amazing. HOWEVER!…

I do not have a problem with the requirements, or the time/gold investment. What I do have a problem with, is that it is a shoulder skin. This goes for Nightfury and any future effects.

This means
1) Incompatible with any shoulder skins (including the awesome scarf that I had to buy in the gem store!) being a skin itself. The scarf and winter’s presence seems like they belong together but alas, no go.Solstice,
2) Does not work with outfits. Including the Winter/snow themed Winter’s Solstice, Arctic explorer, and the Fancy Winter outfit. Again, combinations that seem like they should go together.

It doesn’t seem like such a big deal to some, but with the requirements of this skin/effect, it feels demoralizing to be limited in my creativity.

RESOLUTION: Since we seem to be coming out with character effects, please create a slot just for them. This can be put next to the outfit slot, and have it’s own hide/show checkbox. This would allow for many more armor combinations, and make character effects it’s own cosmetic item.

Please leave constructive criticism, and a word from a dev would be nice. At least let me know if it’s on the table

Who knew the Jungle was filled with so much Salt water?!

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

RESOLUTION: Since we seem to be coming out with character effects, please create a slot just for them. This can be put next to the outfit slot, and have it’s own hide/show checkbox. This would allow for many more armor combinations, and make character effects it’s own cosmetic item.

Pretty good idea.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Good point. Kinda sucks if you go to the trouble of getting these shoulders and then you can’t wear an outfit you like and still see their effects.

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I suggested this last year, having a particle effect skin, complete separate from the current 6 armor skins. Further it would be cool if we could actually have a separate profession that could create particle effects with whatever materials.

Going off tangent but yes I agree, the actual effect itself can be solved by creating a separate “skin” for it. I’m all over that idea.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

it would be pretty cool if you could unlock the winters presence effect as a special effect rather than a skin.

and later you can attach the effect to a shoulder piece, or simply use the effect as the halo/devil horns potion.

Posted by: Raven.3957

Raven.3957

I’ve been spewing for years that they should sell “auras” and you would have an equipment slot for an aura, like you do a mini or back piece or so. No stats, nothing but cosmetic effect. You could buy some from the tp, craft some, etc.

Reason up until now i feel like they haven’t done it is because they want the legendarys to be the only thing giving you fancy effects. Aside from these limited and difficult to craft shoulder skin ones.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I also like this idea.

It adds potential for both in game rewards and monetization.

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

I would really love to see something like this happen too.
I usually wear a specific outfit when I’m not fighting and I would be sad if I couldn’t see
the effect of these cosmetic items that were so tedious to get.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I heard this a lot. But a single slot would not do. There’s lots of effects that would be nice to have in a slot. And some of them would not be too cluttering if stacked with others. Many effects currently require you to carry items or alter your gear, potions, equipment skins, upgrades, and other random inconsistent madness.

All of that should be unified into a single consistent system.

Because of that I think that there should be an effects section in the wardrobe, and we should be able to unlock effects of various types.

Then in the hero panel you go to the wardrobe and go to the “Effects” section, and can pick up to 3…6 different ones, as long as they don’t overlap with each other.

• Overhead icons:
    • Kiel/Evon buttons
    • Selfless horns/Selfish halo.
    • Svanir/Chieftain icons (earned in PvP)
    • Ferocity mark (earned in PvP)
  • Full body colorize
    • Hylek hue potions (red, orange, yellow, gree, blue)
    • Halloween tonics/Refractors (green, orange, black)
  • Surrounding effects
    • Nightfury
    • Winter presence.
  • Auras:
    • Queen Bee
    • Ghostly aura
    • Chack Eggs.
    • Righteous Flare (earned in WvW)
  • Foot effects.
  • Weapon skill effects.
  • Travel effects (replace walking animation when out of combat)
    • Magic Carpet (also unlocks as glider)
    • Riding broom (also unlocks as glider)
    • Sonic Tunneling Tool
  • Other:
    • Karka head/chest/leg/back grab.

You’ll be able to put any you want in any of the slots, but if you put one that overlaps with another already equipped, that other one is removed, to reduce clutter (e.g.: You won’t be able to wear the horns and the halo at the same time).

Unlocked skins like Nightfury and Winter’s presence would be automatically upgraded to effects. Characters with items having those skins would get a basic skin instead, and the account gain a transmutation charge per item that had the skin. The item itself when crafted would be an effect unlocker instead a piece of gear.

Effects attached to items, upgrades, tonics, consumables, gizmos and the like would have Mystic Forge recipes to make effect unlockers out of them. For example:

• 1 Kiel/Evon button + 50 potions of slaying scarlet’s armies + 50 quartz + any level 80 Lionguard weapon (Kiel) or 50 BL Chests (Evon) = Permanent Kiel/Evon overhead icon effect.
  • Stack of 250 strawberry ghosts + 5 candy corn cobs + 15 superior runes of the Mad King + 15 sigils of the night = Permanent ghostly aura unlocker.
  • Preserved Queen Bee + 250 Jars of bees + stack of 250 Bags of Sugar + stack of 250 Jugs of Water = Permanent Hive aura unlocker.
  • Chak Egg Sac + 3 chak-related items = Permanent Chak Egg Sac aura unlocker.
  • Any Karka helmet + karka tonisc + karka shells + passion flowers = Permanent Karka grab effects unlocker.
  • Stack of 250 of a [color] hylek color potion + 1000 hylek sun beads + 50 superior sigils of undead slaying + 50 Runes of the Sunless = Permanent [color] hylek colorize unlocker + Carpal tunnel syndrome if vendors don’t have spinners to buy in bulk by the time.
  • Any refractor + 250 of the corresponding utility potion + 5 corn cobs + 250 of corresponding Chattering Skull, Nougat Center or Plastic Fangs = Permanent Halloween Green/Black/Orange colorize effect.
  • Any Rime-rimmed rebreather + 50 flawless snowflakes + stack of 25 of any ascended breather recipe + 250 Essence of Jellyfish = Permanent Underwater frost aura unlocker.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: tonyajc.2618

tonyajc.2618

Thanks for the feedback so far.

It just rubs me the wrong way how much time/gold this spent, only have restrictions on it.

Who knew the Jungle was filled with so much Salt water?!