Wintersday Event, boggled

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

Since Winter’s day Thread is not up yet, which is weird on not having this open and available so we can freely discussing but this is what’s bugging me.

Quote: Tixx arrives in Lion’s Arch in his massive airship toy workshop.

Link: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/december-2012/

Like, I don’t even know how to accept this really, Guild Wars Style. I am just lost and confused why it exist and how does it work with the lore?

I understand its an Asura and all but really… a Golem airship? Would had accepted giant floating cube or a regular airship but a golem?

Just being a nerd but… magic can only go so far and so does fuel. On top of that, wouldn’t having something that big would give leeway to the dragons into shooting it down, since the energy required to keep that thing a float and running would match that of a small nuclear bomb.

Also… why is an Asuran making Toys? Usually Asuras are all witty and snotty about being smart and a superior race, yet its making toys? Which lore wise, would be toys suited for a complex Asura child to play with. No other race would understand the toys Tixx would make.

/Opens Presents /receive “Mathematical entries of dimensional portions calculator”.

A human would had been better for the situation, if anything go Norn if that desperate. Really getting tired of Asura this and Asura that content updates. The race isn’t all that interesting.

Edit: Not sure why link went bad, posted the main page, from GW2 Twitter.

(edited by Shadowlancer.7102)

Posted by: Avatar.1923

man, its FANTASY.

same kind of fantasy as Santa Claus.
btw, he doesnt make sense too you know.

gw2 never tried to have even an hint of logic.
dont expect it.

just feel the christmas spirit!
la lala la la!

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Avatar.1923

Sorry but I am just, criticizing Arenanet on wanting to make a believable story lore and this golem airship thing, is probably the dumbest if not the stupidest idea they have ever came up and came out in future content update.

Like Mad King Thorn made sense because its Halloween, everyone knows on Halloween, the portals to the underworld opens and so there is a limited time connection to the dead from the living world. It made sense that we visited “Mad King Thorn” ’s realm, because it was in the underworld, and in most games, its always been known to have evil twisted creatures and homelands.

This Christmas Asura golem thing, is crap. I don’t even feel compelled or want to celebrate the event if its going to be something this stupid.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Next you’ll tell us that candy corn doesn’t come out of the ground. You insult candy corn miners who tirelessly work in the candy corn mines everywhere.

Posted by: Rannug.2731

Rannug.2731

…the only thing that is boggling is the people who already have issues with things that didn’t even happen yet.. wow..
This may get nixed so read it fast..

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Rannug.2731

What’s boggling is that instead of providing thoughts on why this makes sense or defend the idea that Arenanet is going to put into the next holiday, instead you are sitting posting about people that expresses opinion where as, you are just posting just to be posting.

Way to go on being constructive. Let the people on this thread, actually know that you have something to say other than lame post about “Oh… its another complainer, I better point that out and not put my own opinion!”

Posted by: Erebus.6473

Erebus.6473

Then don’t!
The rest of us will enjoy it because it’s going to be FUN! Not everything has to make sense you know. Santa has his slate, Tixx his airship golem, neither makes sense, but it’s Christmas who cares?

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Erebus.6473

Unfortunately I really don’t have much choice.

Quote: “This year the city of Lion’s Arch will host the asuran Toymaker Tixx as their special Wintersday guest of honor. Before Tixx arrives in Lion’s Arch in his massive airship toy workshop, he’ll visit every major city in Tyria to deliver Wintersday toys and holiday cheer.”

December 14 to January 3
Note: Read the Bolded key words.

Also as a Lore critic, there a fine line of setting the bar of what is believable to what is taking things too far.

Edit: And again… why is it Asura race again! We already have a Asura content patch with the Fractal of the Mist.

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

It looks like a big macy’s ballon to me. I think it’s well inline with the pact airships we already have

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

They probably have it in keeping with the kind of santa theme. But in tyria Magical flying deer dosn’t really seem as far out there as it does in reality. So it’s a flying golem instead.

Kids sometimes ask how Santa’s sleigh and reindeer fly, Tyrian kids probably ask the same kind of thing, how does something that large stay in the air? We tell our kids it’s magic. Tyrians probably tell their kids it...uh...I donno...supermagic?

As for why an asura? Santa has elves make toys, elves are tiny(the non Tolkien ones anyway) asura are tiny, thus its an asuran toymaker.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Greiger.7092

faceplam

Link: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Wintersday

Please read that wiki page of how Winter’s day would work on Guild Wars one before comparing this to a Santa thing. Its really annoying how people speak before researching and then post on this matter.

When you are done with that, then you may express and actual opinion, until then, you are wasting posts.

The only difference between GW1 and GW2 is that there is no Human Gods this time to participate.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

So, just to be clear, we’re okay with a big floating castle that can be seen in one section of the world, but not okay with an airship that has a basis in reality (ie. you could scientifically build something of that nature, since it has a blimp-like quality). I just want to be clear.

(edited by ProphetSword.5427)

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Asura is totally believable. Who in the game loves to show off their genius? Who is absolutely sure that what they do is perfect for everyone and everyone should have it?

Humans are concerned with their own issues. Norn don’t really seem the type to do a multi-racial event, or spend time making a lot of little things. Sylvari are busy learning about the world. Charr go “Presents? You mean, loot we don’t have to loot, huh?”

Asuras want international recognition, without giving other races lots of advanced weaponry. So they give advanced toys instead, bask in the glow of goodwill, get to extend greater influence over the world, and avoid giving anything useful to their future subjects. Also, awesome blimp is awesome, if I could build that I’d totally want to show it off all over the world. This is totally in keeping with Asuran culture *cough*arrogance and paranoia*cough*.

Oh, and it’s a really smooth way to work in a mid-winter celebration without the old human gods around.

(edited by Gilosean.3805)

Shadowlancer.7102

@ ProphetSword.5427

Floating castle has always been about pure magic.

A floating Golem airship made by Asura technology, with a Asura making toys, which by lore Arenanet has made them a “Mad Scientist” race type, has shown in lore and dynamic events, of causing catastrophic permanent world damage.

Again… if Arenanet is going to make this story mode on how “Inquest” are involved and the Heros of the world have to go into that Airship, which I already know is going to be instance and we have to kill evil toys and save the golem airship, I am going to puke for the reuse and rehash of this story in-your-window rehash.

Also since Arenanet already stated that the golem airship suppose to appear in cities, you guys should be freaking out about the major LAG it will cause!

Edit: Read the bolded text I highlighted on concerns.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

It being a human holiday about (absent) human gods…

Having the other races do it is like Christians have a Pesach Seder.

Gilosean.3805

Honestly, if some cities besides LA get enough people to have some lag, I’ll be happy.

It being a human holiday about (absent) human gods…

Having the other races do it is like Christians have a Pesach Seder.

Nah, it’s more like agnostics having Christmas. People wanted to celebrate at midwinter – the religious people for the religious holiday, others so they could celebrate. So now it’s more of a generic festival than anything, and this year Asurans are using it to drum up some international fame and impress the poor non-Asurans. I think lorewise it works just fine.

(edited by Gilosean.3805)

Shadowlancer.7102

@ mulch.2586

Quote: “Having the other races…”

That’s the problem its always about ASURAS.

I have heard no content involvement or update about Sylvaries, Charr, Norn, or Humans.

Its always “Asura” this and “Asura” that. That’s not lore, its just choosing a single race to base the content on.

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

Personally, I love it and I can’t wait to see Lion’s Arch all wintery.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Posted by: Mobott.5908

Mobott.5908

Why does this bother you so much?

1: Why the hell do you keep saying “Golem airship”? Where did you get “Golem” from?
2: It’s the freaking Asura.
3: “Really getting tired of Asura this and Asura that content updates” This is the first update that Asura have a major role in.

Gilosean.3805

@ mulch.2586

I have heard no content involvement or update about Sylvaries, Charr, Norn, or Humans.

Its always “Asura” this and “Asura” that. That’s not lore, its just choosing a single race to base the content on.

We’ve only had 3 major events in the game – 1 was human, 1 was human/Asura with a Sylvari (sort-of) villain, one is multi-racial (all capital cities, remember) with an Asuran theme.

I’m glad they didn’t use Norns, I don’t see how it would work thematically with Sylvari, Charr don’t seem tied to the seasons at all. See a full year of holidays before complaining about how ’everything’s about Asuras’, OK?

I’m hoping they keep the trend of unexpected racial holidays and doing an Easter/spring holiday tied to someone besides the Sylvari. I’d love to see what Hoelbroek looks like when it flowers.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Why does this bother you so much?

1: Why the hell do you keep saying “Golem airship”? Where did you get “Golem” from?
2: It’s the freaking Asura.
3: “Really getting tired of Asura this and Asura that content updates” This is the first update that Asura have a major role in.

First update since Lost Shores

Shadowlancer.7102

@ TabMorte.5297

Since the gods are missing, “The Great Snowball Fight of the Gods (PvP)”, cannot be hosted since lorewise, it would make no sense on GW2.

Edit: Was looking forward to that too.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Mobott.5908

facepalm

1: Click the first link on first post.
2: Prefer lore content update from other races other than hearing “Inquest” and “Asuras” all the time.
3: Fractal of the Mist

Posted by: Tenshi.3598

Tenshi.3598

Grentchies!

Just because their bossman left, doesn’t mean they stopped wreaking havoc when they can. So I demand them to be here :P. And candy cane. There must be candy cane. And snowball fights. And there absolutely must must must be spiked eggnog!

Hoping for nice minigames and plenty of stuff for GW fans to love for old times’ sake.

As for the next Ix (you guys loving Ford Prefect or what? :P), I hope Nicholas and Yakkington get tied into that story. I miss those fellas…

This Glade has thorns…and here they are!

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Tenshi.3598

GW Wiki Quote: "Wintersday 2011 introduced new costumes, replaced Operation: Crush Spirits with The Great Snowball Fight of the Gods, and removed the grentch activity from decorated towns (along with the Grentches and Young Children). "

I am afraid its not going to make a come back on GW2.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Since Winter’s day Thread is not up yet, which is weird on not having this open and available so we can freely discussing but this is what’s bugging me.

Quote: Tixx arrives in Lion’s Arch in his massive airship toy workshop.

Link: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/december-2012/

Like, I don’t even know how to accept this really, Guild Wars Style. I am just lost and confused why it exist and how does it work with the lore?

I understand its an Asura and all but really… a Golem airship? Would had accepted giant floating cube or a regular airship but a golem?

Just being a nerd but… magic can only go so far and so does fuel. On top of that, wouldn’t having something that big would give leeway to the dragons into shooting it down, since the energy required to keep that thing a float and running would match that of a small nuclear bomb.

Also… why is an Asuran making Toys? Usually Asuras are all witty and snotty about being smart and a superior race, yet its making toys? Which lore wise, would be toys suited for a complex Asura child to play with. No other race would understand the toys Tixx would make.

/Opens Presents /receive “Mathematical entries of dimensional portions calculator”.

A human would had been better for the situation, if anything go Norn if that desperate. Really getting tired of Asura this and Asura that content updates. The race isn’t all that interesting.

Edit: Not sure why link went bad, posted the main page, from GW2 Twitter.

Why do you have to question everything? We had wintersday in gw1 so we are getting it in gw2. Just enjoy it.. How does Christmas fit in our lore when there is so many conflicting stories.. shrugs.. Surely a place like Tyria will have holidays and festivals.. Just enjoy the game.. Stop trying to analyzing everything.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Eladriel.7295

I really hate people that just quote something and really have nothing to say about it.

Again, you are one of those people that spams “Hey its free content update.” You really are not providing constructive feedback.

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

@ mulch.2586

So the Mad King was secretly an Asura and the clocktower was his greatest achievement? The karka are related to the asura only born with freakish faces, tendencies to spit poison, and armored plating which makes them a pain in the kitten to kill.

No, the only thing “asura” about those events were NPCS, one who sought knowledge about the deceased HUMAN king and another who was just an annoying pain in the kitten…

OP calm down, I agree with Gil that its just an asura seeking international respect and glory. Also lets not forget this is 500 years in the future… a lot of things can change in 500 years.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Kill.3458

People like you that make me cringe when it becomes lore discussions about certain things. I am starting to lose hope in this game if this is how it dwindles down into.

People who don’t understand what the game “should” had/be/was offering.

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

It’s an ASURAN airship. The ones the Pact use are a mix of asuran, charr and human technologies (therefore they undoubtedly work better).

If this thing DOESN’T crash and burn like a super Hindenburg all over the Gendarran Fields, I am going to be horrendously disappointed. In fact, I’m looking forward to the Inquest tampering with this giant flying golem and causing it to go mental.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Kerithlan.1659

I promise you, NO Charr, would ever help an Asuran make a Golem Airship. NO human would help an Asuran make Golem airship, since it doesn’t have Human God Characteristics.

Kerithlan.1659

@ Kerithlan.1659

I promise you, NO Charr, would ever help an Asuran make a Golem Airship. NO human would help an Asuran make Golem airship, since it doesn’t have Human God Characteristics.

Yeah no kittenherlock, that was kind of my entire point. The Pact took the best parts of each race’s technologies to more or less perfect the art.

Taking out the charr and human aspects leaves us with a highly volatile, hilariously dangerous, and all around unsafe ticking time bomb of holiday cheer flying toward Tyria’s most densely populated areas.

Asuran Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic failure is still a monumental success, assuming losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Kerithlan.1659

No I redirected your point that no one in the pact would bother making this thing, which leads to this being hosted by Inquest, which means another rehashed lore content about Asurans again.

TabMorte.5297

@ TabMorte.5297

Since the gods are missing, “The Great Snowball Fight of the Gods (PvP)”, cannot be hosted since lorewise, it would make no sense on GW2.

Edit: Was looking forward to that too.

In the spirit of the costume brawls at Halloween I’m sure they’ll find a way for snowball fights to return, though maybe not in the exact same form they were in before.

I personally <3 the events. They keep the game from getting stale and give us fresh and interesting things to do. This particular event is long (almost 3 weeks!) which will give everyone ample time to participate and have festive fun.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

Here’s hoping that the Elder Scrolls: Online isn’t infested with half-hearted events that plague most recent MMO’s to appease the sort of players who cannot live without their pop culture.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

@ ProphetSword.5427

Also since Arenanet already stated that the golem airship suppose to appear in cities, you guys should be freaking out about the major LAG it will cause!

Edit: Read the bolded text I highlighted on concerns.

about that…. my PC dosnt suck, and my net is fine the only lag this game gives me is severside because ever one is fighting crabs in LA

Gilosean.3805

Here’s hoping that the Elder Scrolls: Online isn’t infested with half-hearted events that plague most recent MMO’s to appease the sort of players who cannot live without their pop culture.

That’s kind of random. I mean, are you threatening to flounce out of GW2 because we will have a lore-appropriate Wintersday celebration? Or are you just really looking forward to ESO?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Can you all imagine what a charr-made toy would look like?)

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

This is irrelevant, Arenanet has admitted to the lag and apologized about the event and its major problems that affected the majority of the community base. You do realize your opinion only makes you a minority right?

Kerithlan.1659

@ Kerithlan.1659

No I redirected your point that no one in the pact would bother making this thing, which leads to this being hosted by Inquest, which means another rehashed lore content about Asurans again.

Except that people in the Pact did bother making this thing — asurans are a part of the Pact. I’m not sure if you realize that or not.

The Inquest have gathered most of their golemancy knowledge from Snaff, who is more or less a post-mortem, de-facto member of the Pact. This is exactly the kind of thing that Snaff would have built, too.

Maybe you should take a step back and stop blindly raging at the asura for doing something insane and irrational. It’s sort of their M.O.

TabMorte.5297

Oh come on Grinch, even your heart might grow 3 sizes on Winter’s Day.

Shadowlancer.7102

Can you all imagine what a charr-made toy would look like?)

In Charr lore Cubs are given their first “Weapon” which could be a gun, sword, axe, or a bomb.

That’s a cool gift! But I am Charr after all. I think Norn gifts would be something that involved with alcohol or a a great hunt. Sylvari gifts would be plants of some sort. Humans… well toys I suppose.

UnderdogSMO.9428

QQ’s and Hum bugs all around

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Dude, get over it. It is A FIRST. As it says this year the guest of honor is Tixx in LA, so lore has nothing to do with it. ITS A FIRST and everything has a beginning. So this time Tixx (for the first time) is handing out toys while flying in what appears to be a floating golem, for the first time. Your lore here means diddly squat. Don’t play if you don’t want to. Skedaddle if you don’t want to do it b/c it offends you on some level. It’ll be one less grinch in the game.

UnderdogSMO.9428

its also to be understod that toy maker Tixx may be a little off his rocker ((look at his concept art no asura should look that jolly)) and more jolly than other’s of his kind

why dose everything have to be so black and wite with some people.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Kerithlan.1659

Except that people in the Pact did bother making this thing — asurans are a part of the Pact. I’m not sure if you realize that or not.

The Inquest have gathered most of their golemancy knowledge from Snaff, who is more or less a post-mortem, de-facto member of the Pact. This is exactly the kind of thing that Snaff would have built, too.

Maybe you should take a step back and stop blindly raging at the asura for doing something insane and irrational. It’s sort of their M.O.

Yeah but the WHOLE point is that Arenanet claimed that regardless of holiday event, it will affect the world in lore as it progresses, and really all Arenanet focuses on is “Asuras” and “Inquest”.

I am getting tired of it. I mean seriously, there are other races, and minor races, and lore wise, I have seen NO updates or Change, during the content updates and it seems its always about “Asuras”. You cannot have a Lore focus on one race and not show or reflect how it affects other races and what/how/when the other races do what during that time line.

Sorry but there is a “flaw” in the lore I’m afraid.

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I love it when us nerds start to dissect our nerdy lores! Thanks for bringing this up OP, and ignore all the ‘then don’t come!’ people. They just don’t have the imagination (*cough*nerdiness*cough*) to delve into the lore and pick it apart.

So, I’m having really mixed feelings with ArenaNet still, but I’m going to take an appropriate look at this lore wise.

Honestly, I have no idea what they’re doing with this event, but did you give a thought to maybe this is a play off of Nightmare before Christmas?

Maybe this Asuran fellow spent his whole life studying Wintersday from years past, and didn’t feel it was good enough for the people of Tyria. So, instead of waiting on grouchy Grenth or dainty Dwayna; He’s going to take over Wintersday to do it right!

I also think you’re onto something with those toys. Remember how the toys in Nightmare before Christmas ended up? Never watched the movie? Well needless to say you leave toy making to the real toy makers.

Who knows! Maybe we’ll have to defend the cities from this crazy blimp in the sky!

(Also, I believe the airship is believable in regards to size and power. I think it’s more of a floating airship, not a giant robot flying through the air.)

We’ll have to see on Wintersday!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Airships and helicopters are already in-game. Nuff said. Technology exists! gasps

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

After reading the Guild War 2 novel, Edge of Destiny, I’m pretty much ready to accept that the Asura can do anything with regards to power crystals and golem designs. Nothing unusual lore-wise here.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Doggie.3184

No, I agree the Technology is getting out of hand, lorewise. Having helicopters and Submarines is too much to add and its very close to open the idea of space ships.

Having any of these ideas at disposal for war or exploration in a med-evil type environment with other races that still uses swords and shields with basic wizardry magic, really messes up the game flow of the lore.

Anyone with a high tech gun could wipe out an entire race and even with Airships, one could drop bombs from above and wipe out the Centaurs or any other minor races.

The games lore is confusing enough without having a Golem Airship making toys.