Wintersday Event, boggled

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hexgame.4802

Hexgame.4802

Yeah! While we’re at it, lets complain about the dragons, dwarves, plant people and other fantasy type creatures. How dare they make something so unrealistic in a video game!

Lynsey – 80 Human Mesmer
Perky – 80 Norn Guardian
Soapie – 80 Human Ranger

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

@ Doggie.3184

No, I agree the Technology is getting out of hand, lorewise. Having helicopters and Submarines is too much to add and its very close to open the idea of space ships.

Having any of these ideas at disposal for war or exploration in a med-evil type environment with other races that still uses swords and shields with basic wizardry magic, really messes up the game flow of the lore.

Anyone with a high tech gun could wipe out an entire race and even with Airships, one could drop bombs from above and wipe out the Centaurs or any other minor race.

The games lore is confusing enough without having a Golem Airship making toys.

man let it go. Lore like this is best aproched like that of Dr Who’s or Star Trek
Its ment to be fun and if you cant suspend your disbelief than i feel sorry for you

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Hexgame.4802

Fantasy does not equal technology.

Hexgame.4802

@ Hexgame.4802

Fantasy does not equal technology.

Fantasy can have technology…

Lynsey – 80 Human Mesmer
Perky – 80 Norn Guardian
Soapie – 80 Human Ranger

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

If you don’t like technology in your fantasy, that’s a matter of personal taste, and that’s fine. When you start claiming that it makes no sense or would unbalance things in a world where people shoot out lighting bolts or fireballs, then the argument quickly breaks down into absurdity. High tech guns don’t mean kitten thing in world where a guy with a stick can nuke a whole town.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I would’ve loved to see a charr be the “santa”.

One that’s obligated to do so for some reason and does it begrudgingly, and can be moody the whole time while trying to play the part. Would be hilarious.

Also Trahearne for the Grinch.

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

This is irrelevant, Arenanet has admitted to the lag and apologized about the event and its major problems that affected the majority of the community base. You do realize your opinion only makes you a minority right?

Woah, woah, woah. Slow down here….Because someone voiced their opinion its a minority and you disregard it, but you come stomping into the general discussion forms with your panties in a bunch whining about why an asura is going to be like santa but your opinion is better than everyone else’s?

Shadowlancer: I MAKE SO MUCH SENSE.

Anyways, regarding the lore, so what? He’s an asura, okay? Charr or Sylvari can’t fit the theme, Norns don’t seem suited to this as all they can think about is ale and hunting. Humans or asura were the best options and they picked asura. I don’t think its a giant flying gollem, but rather a huge big air balloon. I mean hell, in the last part of Arah story you are on a giant airship but having one shaped as a golem isn’t lore friendly?

And no, the recent patches haven’t been only about asura. The halloween event was about human’s and their past lore and ghost ancestors, then the kankra that affected the quaggans, hylek, and other underwater races (which you had to talk to throughout the entire event). But dear god, the asura have ONE person related to the last update and now they have something to do with Christmas and you are going nuts?

Sorry i had to voice my “minority” opinion.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Hexgame.4802

Yes, but Technology is more Sci-Fi. Having underground mushroom looking people, as “mad Scientist”, in advance technological stages, in a fantasy game, does not make that race a fantasy race and thus since Arenanet keeps on heavily talking about that particular race in the lore, you basically don’t have a fantasy game.

Hexgame.4802

@ Hexgame.4802

Yes, but Technology is more Sci-Fi. Having underground mushroom looking people, as “mad Scientist”, in advance technological stages, in a fantasy game, does not make that race a fantasy race and thus since Arenanet keeps on heavily talking about that particular race in the lore, you basically don’t have a fantasy game.

Fiction and Fantasy mean exactly the same thing…. This guy…

Lynsey – 80 Human Mesmer
Perky – 80 Norn Guardian
Soapie – 80 Human Ranger

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Zelkovan.2630

Yeah… having a flying robot that makes toys for children, in a med-evil type of game with swords and magic, is so… the spirit of Christmas.

Yeah, you make so much sense! (Sarcastic)

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Hexgame.4802

I disagree, you cannot have both with this type of setting of environment and lore. This is too close to being a “Star Wars” situation with Asura race.

Hexgame.4802

Why are you even playing this game then Shadowlancer? I’m sure before you even picked it up you knew that asura are a technological race, you knew this game had pistols and rifles.

I really don’t see why its so far-fetched to have an asuran santa.

Lynsey – 80 Human Mesmer
Perky – 80 Norn Guardian
Soapie – 80 Human Ranger

Posted by: Sinikka.2794

Sinikka.2794

I don’t see how this wouldn’t fit in with the lore. At least, it could theoretically.

We know from a zoomed in version of one of the released photos for the event that “Bomsak” is written on the side of the Golem airship.
We have a sort of “Mad Scientist” Asura that’s handing out “gifts”.
So, it could end up being that Tixx is really crazy, and he’s not handing out gifts at all, but trying to hatch some diabolical plan.
I can fully see a crazy Asura trying to start something under the guise of a well known Tyrian holiday.

Now, I have no idea if they are taking it in that direction, of course. Either way, I think there are many ways to work such a thing into the lore and I am looking forward to it greatly. (Unless all the awesome items drop from gemstore Winterday chests, and then I will pull my hair out and scream “BAH HUMBUG!”)

Also, I apologise if this has been touched on before in another post, I didn’t read through all of them!

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Hexgame.4802

You can have Pistols and Rifles, in a Fantasy game, its based on Wood and Iron combined with math and engineering. I agree the Flame Thrower is a bit much but I dismissed it with the idea of “Fire” magic being used as a basic fuel.

I also payed 150$ because I liked the Charr race, but I also believed that Arenanet promised that the Guild Wars 2 Lore, would be a living breathing experience that made sense.

The PvE lore, doesn’t make sense, and again they made Asuras, too powerful of a race and since the game went live, all the content updates, dynamic events, and dungeons talk about nothing but Asuras.

If I wanted to play a Sci-fi MMO, I play “Star Wars”. Already a person said here in this thread that Asuras can literally do anything.

So what’s next, “Laser Swords”… I mean “High Density Power lights”?

UnderdogSMO.9428

Why are you even playing this game then Shadowlancer? I’m sure before you even picked it up you knew that asura are a technological race, you knew this game had pistols and rifles.

I really don’t see why its so far-fetched to have an asuran santa.

hell if he new anything about charr he new thay had tanks .

Hexgame.4802

Alright, so answer this.

I’m assuming you have played Guild Wars 1, which took place 250 years ago. During the final expansion, we had asurans with golems and plasma canons and other futuristic weaponry.

Are you telling me, lore wise, it would make better sense if those 250 years have past and we were still using swords and shields?

Also, all of asuran technology is created with magic. Tell me how this does not fit the lore?

Lynsey – 80 Human Mesmer
Perky – 80 Norn Guardian
Soapie – 80 Human Ranger

UnderdogSMO.9428

@ Hexgame.4802

You can have Pistols and Rifles, in a Fantasy game, its based on Wood and Iron combined with math and engineering. I agree the Flame Thrower is a bit much but I dismissed it with the idea of “Fire” magic being used as a basic fuel.

I also payed 150$ because I liked the Charr race, but I also believed that Arenanet promised that the Guild Wars 2 Lore, would be a living breathing experience that made sense.

The PvE lore, doesn’t make sense, and again they made Asuras, too powerful of a race and since the game went live, all the content updates, dynamic events, and dungeons talk about nothing but Asuras.

If I wanted to play a Sci-fi MMO, I play “Star Wars”. Already a person said here in this thread that Asuras can literally do anything.

So what’s next, “Laser Swords”… I mean “High Density Power lights”?

I kinda already use a laser sword actually. and Asura can only acheve there technological advances because magic exists in this world there for the progression of there teck and what there capable of would be vary different than what you see in the real world.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

No I’ve seen that in the Black citadel, and again that’s something I am confused about as well. Why Technology of that degree exist in that that type of era, in a med-evil type environment, with creatures using swords and magic still for war is beyond me.

Since there are a few parts in the lore that shows that we should be having cell phones, Kindles, and TV advertisements in cities, with the Technology we are allowed to be capable of lore wise, why are we still stuck in using simple guns, basic weapon dry, and basic magic versus high tech technology where we could be making Laser Swords, Laser Guns, combined with magic?

I HATE loop holes like this in PvE lore.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

1. GW2 does not have the classic medieval fantasy theme. Humans are sort of renesaince (stuff happened in those 250 years). Charr are quite advanced in sort of… steampunk/gearpunkish stuff (which actually fits fantasy). Asura are tech… but magictech. Sorry but not all fantasy is not always medieval (I like that type too and had difficulty accepting guns in GW at first). But seriously… if everyone was so… conservative… about what fantasy is and should be, there would be a lot less fantasy books/stories/games etc. out there.

2. What is this misconception that asura (magic)tech does not work? Sure some if it blows up, but eventually asura inventions DO work.

3. No idea where you got the idea that asura get all the attention… really this is the first time I see one in the limelight like this.

4. Not all asura are the same, it is not an entirely black and white world. He might actually want to see others happy too… and yes get lots of attention… who doesn’t like attention.

5. We got like… a tiny introduction to one thing that will happen. I am pretty sure what we se here is not the only thing that will happen. It would be strange if do not see some of the other races also take part in this, so just wait and see.

6. As far as I know Anet makes the lore. You really think they don’t know what fits in THEIR world, THEIR lore.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

UnderdogSMO.9428

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

No I’ve seen that in the Black citadel, and again that’s something I am confused about as well. Why Technology of that degree exist in that that type of era, in a med-evil type environment, with creatures using swords and magic still for war is beyond me.

Since there are a few parts in the lore that shows that we should be having cell phones, Kindles, and TV advertisements in cities, with the Technology we are allowed to be capable of lore wise, why are we still stuck in using simple guns, basic weapon dry, and basic magic versus high tech technology where we could be making Laser Swords, Laser Guns, combined with magic?

But we do have Laser Swords, Laser Guns, combined with magic? we also have normal swords and normal guns combined with Magic, as well as Magic swords and Magic Guns with no real substans.

and this game inst medieval if anything its more comparable to 1900 and WW1 in a fantasy setting where magic has sped up technological advisement.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Zeefa.3915

1: WvWvW, building and living in Castles and the sieges we used. Enough said.

2: Like a Giant Flying Golem (Robot), in the sky?

3: Dungeon (Story) focuses on Snaff and all what he offered and how it affects the world. Dynamic Events that involve Asuras and their major impact on the world. and Fractal of the Mist. Those are some major story lines right their.

4: facepalm

5: facepalm

6: The world is not making sense, logically, and its becoming a bore with too many loop holes being found.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Why the humans don’t use the tech the mind boggles. Charr approach the situation from a different direction to the asura and have a different solution, it’s difficult to quantify whether a power based bullet is inferior to an energy beam in this context though the asura tech definitly covers utility functions better (teleports, shields, radios etc)

Which just leaves the question of why the Humans havn’t adapt that kind’ve large scale industrialisation, and how they manage to stand up to their better equipped opponents (Like how did ebonhawk not get levelled by years of artillery bombardment from a modern mechanised army, Vs their quaint little trebuchets and sword)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

panzer.6034

Fantasy =/= “medieval”. I was never for a minute under the impression that GW was supposed to be a medieval simulation anyway.

Shadowlancer.7102

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

If that was true, look at this way, we are fighting against organic material with lasers. Explain this.

UnderdogSMO.9428

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

If that was true, look at this way, we are fighting against organic material with lasers. Explain this.

Magic drops mike walks off

Hexgame.4802

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

You do realize no one has to explain anything because its fantasy… right?

Fantasy, fictional, untrue, not realistic….

Lynsey – 80 Human Mesmer
Perky – 80 Norn Guardian
Soapie – 80 Human Ranger

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

6. As far as I know Anet makes the lore. You really think they don’t know what fits in THEIR world, THEIR lore.

Pretty much this. I think it’s a little odd to hear someone outside the team insisting what does and does not fit into the game’s lore because of some preconceptions of how an individual thinks this time period should work. The lore is correct as is because this is the world they’ve made. It doesn’t have to fit someone’s expectations based on fantasy and science outside of the game. From that perspective there’s a lot of craziness in Guild War’s lore.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Why the humans don’t use the tech the mind boggles. Charr approach the situation from a different direction to the asura and have a different solution, it’s difficult to quantify whether a power based bullet is inferior to an energy beam in this context though the asura tech definitly covers utility functions better (teleports, shields, radios etc)

Which just leaves the question of why the Humans havn’t adapt that kind’ve large scale industrialisation, and how they manage to stand up to their better equipped opponents (Like how did ebonhawk not get levelled by years of artillery bombardment from a modern mechanised army, Vs their quaint little trebuchets and sword)

Humans breed faster. also Magic

((by lore standersds Charr Gardions, Necros, and Elies shouldnt be a thing

but than by the same lore humans shouldnt have all the teachings of the enginers))

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Hexgame.4802

Is that why Arenanet went into big deal about the lifestyle, anatomy, culture, and the logistics of how each race is and are, what they offered, in the books they offered?

I’m sorry but you are becoming a bore now, this is pointless to argue with people that has little to no imagination and are stuck with today’s real life logic and how to include today’s technology into it.

At least Final Fantasy MMO does a better job at the lore, sort of, on how magic and high technology have come together and evolved with one another on mergement and has created an idea world on how certain creatures have adapted to the technological advances by evolving themselves, where as this games biological set up is all over the place.

I remain unconvinced and this winter’s event with a “Flying Golem Airship” has convinced me that the lore has went to crap in GW2.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Alright… parts of it is semimedieval… oh but there is siege GOLEMS in WvW too. So castles just disappeared because of advancing in history… Only the human royalty lives in castles anyways… and you know what… real life royal families (some of those do still exsists yes) also live in castles to this day.
Either way Tyrian history is not the same as Earth history.

PART of the dungeon story focuses on Snaff. 2 of them as far as I know. And yes I did all of the storymode dungeons. So 2 out of… how many dungeons… focus on that? That dungeon that seemed mostly about kodan was actually about Snaff and Inquest? Funny cause I did not see a single asura in that one… or in Ascalon Catacombs… or Cathedral of Flames…
There are tons of events that has nothing to do with asura.
Fractals would not have made sense with any other race. And the main event of Lost Shores had nothing to do with asura.

You facepalm? So you think the game is actually black and white and all asura the same. No shades in any of the races at all? You deny we only got part of the information for now? You really think we already know all there is to know about the event from what little there is there?

The world does make sense… to everyone but you apparently. And well Anet made the world, lore and all that. Not you. If they deem it fitting it fits. Sure there are openings and “holes” in lore, but that is not always a bad thing. Anet intentionally keeps some things open so they can expand on it.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Hexgame.4802

@ Hexgame.4802

I’m sorry but you are becoming a bore now, this is pointless to argue with people that has little to no imagination and are stuck with today’s real life logic and how to include today’s technology into it.

How ironic.

Lynsey – 80 Human Mesmer
Perky – 80 Norn Guardian
Soapie – 80 Human Ranger

UnderdogSMO.9428

they would also use castles and Keeps in WW1 WW2 as well as swords and hores back. >_>

@ Hexgame.4802 LoL i know right. WTF

(edited by UnderdogSMO.9428)

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

It being a human holiday about (absent) human gods…

Having the other races do it is like Christians have a Pesach Seder.

Not really, because for humans Wintersday means what it meant in GW1, since we only followed humans there. But the post clearly states: “While each race celebrates Wintersday in their own unique way …”. This means that while for humans Wintersday may be all about the battle between Dwayna and Grenth, for other races it could be about something else. We never knew of the other sides of the Wintersday story before in GW1 because you only looked at the world through the eyes of a human character.

What they’ve created in GW2 now actually mimics how we celebrate Christmas/New Year in RL very accurately, because in RL the reason why and how you celebrate a holiday depends on your view of the world (e.g. for some Christmas means a Christmas tree and Santa Claus and for others it means the birth of Christ).

Regards

PS: @OP To me your reasoning why a Golem Airship is impossible in a fantasy game is what boggles me. You are jumping to conclusions, so far we don’t know much about how the other races celebrate the holidays so we are not familiar with that part of their lore. I bet they have nice story behind this Toymaker Tixx so first wait for that and then decide if you like it or not. You are now basing this conclusion on only 4 sentences about a holiday event that will last for almost 3 weeks…

(edited by Wesley.4590)

Posted by: Emboric.6578

Emboric.6578

Shadowlancer, buddy, Tyria is a fictional world created and owned by Anet.

Anet’s choice of lore will not always be parallel to the lore you believe it should have, but you need to accept that whatever they officially roll out with is what happens lore-wise.

If we woke up tomorrow to find that Anet decided to give Charr the ability to shoot laser beams from their eyes because some flowers are yellow, they can. And it would work into the lore because Anet owns the IP to the fictional world of Tyria. Anything they say, goes.

I understand that you might not like how they work certain aspects of their world. You also seem to have a very imaginative (if argumentative) mind. I would highly suggest you write a story of your own in the world of Tyria. No joke; write a story about your character in the world of Tyria.

Your version of Tyria.

You’ll be free to create any logical senario. You’ll be free to make Asura a much less prominent race. Go nuts, have fun! Heck, others might even enjoy reading your creations!

Cheers,
Emboric.

Emboric, Defender of Dolyaks!
-Ferguson’s Crossing-

Shadowlancer.7102

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

No they would not because we have “Airships” remember? So just bomb them down. Since we do not have any ground weaponry that could shoot high into the air, its basically a simple win.

That’s why I put Centaurs as a example of a target because they seem to be a major threat to humans for the last 500 years and yet we have Airships, take the air, and bomb them down.

Race becomes extincted, problem solved.

Edit: Okay this is really P.O.ing me off.

If you have ever played Final Fantasy 6 (FF III in America) that game has a perfect set up on how to mix technology and magic and show the consequences of too much war.

(edited by Shadowlancer.7102)

panzer.6034

What they’ve created in GW2 now actually mimics how we celebrate Christmas/New Year in RL very accurately, because in RL the reason why and how you celebrate a holiday depends on your view of the world (e.g. for some Christmas means a Christmas tree and Santa Claus and for others it means the birth of Christ).

This is an important point. Most people don’t stop to realize that pretty much NOTHING about RL christmas is actually christian or from a single source, from the date on the calender (birth of mitra), the presents (saturnalia) to the tree (northern non-christian celebration of yule). The holiday in RL is a crazy mash-up of different cultures crammed together into one package, so it makes perfect sense for it to be treated similarly in GW.

UnderdogSMO.9428

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

No they would not because we have “Airships” remember? So just bomb them down. Since we do not have any ground weaponry that could shoot high into the air, its basically a simple win.

That’s why I put Centaurs as a example of a target because they seem to be a major threat to humans for the last 500 years and yet we have Airships, take the air, and bomb them down.

Race becomes extincted, problem solved.

thats like saying “HAY lets NUKE our own land”
last I herd we were smashing the Centaurs faces into the ground and takeing all there land from them, there attack’s being small and week over all

((there’s also an Outcast Centaur in LA that got kicked out for saying that what your saying WILL happen, now that the humans and Charr are on the same side and that Centaurs with out the threat of the Charr will be no problem for the humans.))

Shadowlancer.7102

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

The argument is…, someone said at the end of GW1, Asuras were introduced with their golems. 500 years later, we still use golems and yet centaurs with sticks, shields, and swords made out of iron, are still a problem versus a high technology race that was available?

Please explain to me, how this makes sense. On top of that, we are soon in future content update, going to have a “Flying Golem Airship”, that’s clearly shown in the picture provided by Arenanet, that’s larger than Life.

(edited by Shadowlancer.7102)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Yeah all this Sci fi messes with my immersion in GW2 too, i kinda get what you mean i think, i prefer fantasy and Sci fi segregated too but hey Anet wants both…

My main issue with the event is its a human tradition not Asuran, Grenth vs Dwayna etc, neither of which are Asuran gods, very confused on how this event will pan out..

as said before i’m still a bit apprehensive about more events after the last one anyway, at least its a month long one..

UnderdogSMO.9428

@ UnderdogSMO.9428

The argument is…, someone said at the end of GW1, Asuras were introduced with their golems, 500 years later, we still use golems and yet centaurs with sticks, shields, and swords made out of iron, are still a problem versus a high technology race that was available?

Please explain to me, how this makes sense.

Centaurs were only a problem to human’s. if you haven’t noticed Humans are not vary well liked By ANY of the other race’s. ((to add 20 years ago humans were still in a full scale war with the Charr the centars were kinda like a Bee stinging you when your fighting a Bear in hand to Paw combat))

its only in the last 20 year’s that thay have became alies and thats why as you move into orr ((And through your story)) you see a Merging of Asura Teck, Charr industry, and Human Magic.

(edited by UnderdogSMO.9428)

Posted by: TheAmpca.1753

TheAmpca.1753

Also… why is an Asuran making Toys? Usually Asuras are all witty and snotty about being smart and a superior race, yet its making toys? Which lore wise, would be toys suited for a complex Asura child to play with. No other race would understand the toys Tixx would make.

This right here, is called racism. Just because Asurans are smart doesn’t mean this one can’t be nice. And since when do you have to understand something to like it. No one understood inception but everyone liked it.

UnderdogSMO.9428

OH and your thing about WVW that happens in the mist. thats a section of the past it dosnt take place in this time fram, or world for that matter.

the mist is handled alot like the Hollo-deck in star trek

Wesley.4590

This is an important point. Most people don’t stop to realize that pretty much NOTHING about RL christmas is actually christian or from a single source, from the date on the calender (birth of mitra), the presents (saturnalia) to the tree (northern non-christian celebration of yule). The holiday in RL is a crazy mash-up of different cultures crammed together into one package, so it makes perfect sense for it to be treated similarly in GW.

Exactly!

Shadowlancer, buddy, Tyria is a fictional world created and owned by Anet.
-snip-
Cheers,
Emboric.

This is also a good point. In the end it’s up to them what the backgroundstories will be. It’s not like the entire lore of all the races is already finished and now they are trying to remove or edit parts of it, all they are doing is adding more. Don’t forget that they will have to build some bridges between the races that we never heard of before GW2, so that everyone can enjoy events when they take place, no matter what race you chose. And this will only lead to a more connected world instead of having basically 5 seperate racial worlds in GW2.

Regards

Shadowlancer.7102

@ TheAmpca.1753

Quote: No one understood inception but everyone liked it.

Yes and this is what ticks me off, people’s intelligence are slim to non, this is why people who are smarter, get aggravated when games try to combine Sci-Fi with Magic, because it causes too many loop holes and plot holes, which is clearly shown here.

Ofcourse people, who don’t understand like it, for v arias reasons, enjoy the illusion of it. Unfortuantly with GW2, most people view MMOs as “Content Update”, “Shinies”, “Mounts”, and “PvP”.

Most people don’t care about lore because they are too simple minded to understand deep lore about things. A perfect example is “Wizard” PC game and “Everquest”, people stop understanding it so todays MMOs have to dumb it down quite a bit.

Wesley.4590

@ TheAmpca.1753

Quote: No one understood inception but everyone liked it.

Yes and this is what ticks me off, people’s intelligence are slim to non, this is why people who are smarter, get aggravated when games try to combine Sci-Fi with Magic, because it causes too many loop holes and plot holes, which is clearly shown here.

Ofcourse people, who don’t understand like it, for v arias reasons, enjoy the illusion of it. Unfortuantly with GW2, most people view MMOs as “Content Update”, “Shinies”, “Mounts”, and “PvP”.

Most people don’t care about lore because they are too simple minded to understand deep lore about things. A perfect example is “Wizard” PC game and “Everquest”, people stop understanding it so todays MMOs have to dumb it down quite a bit.

So you are basically saying that everyone who disagrees with you here is too simple minded to understand you and not as intelligent as you are?
Must be pretty lonely up there on your high horse…

Why can’t you understand that people can have different opinions about a subject, while their opinions say nothing about intelligence but more on the way they look at things or even taste? I mean you have to admit that your post was pretty tasteless.

Posted by: Zeke Minus.5720

Zeke Minus.5720

I see nothing wrong with this content, but that’s just me.

The way I see it, and how the Asuran race is represented in Guild Wars 2, I’m surprised the Asurans haven’t done something even crazier. They are nuts about magical technology, and have such large egos that it’s in the realm of possibility for one to be crazy enough to build the largest golem Tyria has ever seen.

I’m commenting on the concept and what I know of Asuran culture, by the way. I am very interested to see how they explain this in the lore.

And for your comment about being a gamer: I don’t see how you have any right to truly tell anyone what is and isn’t “a gamer”. This content fits right in with what a gamer could be defined as – spirited, creative, and even possibly wacky. Games are often times not serious, or make light of a trait or character in their own game. This is one of those moments.

Asurans are comical by nature, and the developers know it. They intended it. They know how to capitalize on this and seek to emphasize their outrageous and sometimes ridiculous creations.

Asking for serious lore is a cry from your own opinion, so I find it quite presumptuous for you to think your opinion is better than anyone elses.

(edited by Zeke Minus.5720)

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

Shadowlancer, you make an excellent point. We need -more- Asuran events. There have been events that did not revolve entirely around Asura and that is a problem.

Asura are the best race. They are superior to all other races. ArenaNet needs to portray their continual conquest of the world and the lesser races in each and every event.

Of course there is a giant flying golem – this only makes sense. I am surprised that there aren’t little mini-golems that fly in formation around the larger golem to make toy delivery more efficient.

Should any of these golems (or toys!) explode then that is okay since it is the true way of science. If one or two of the lesser cities happens to burn down, blow up, melt, collapse, or find itself in another dimension, then the Asura have improved the world for the greater (their own) good.

I am glad you are on board with the Asuran destiny.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I don’t even know where to start with this…

As many others have said, it’s fantasy. It does not have to, and very likely will not, make any logical sense.

The previous two events were not “about Asura”, they involved multiple races and had prominent characters from multiple races. The Consortium may have been lead by an Asuran, but it had members of other races that we had to deal with, and the investigation into their activities was lead by a human member of the Lionguard.

I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea that the Inquest are going to be involved with this massive toy-making airship. They are not mentoined anywhere on the page linked.

As far as the lore of an asuran being the one behind this all. Who else could do it, and have it make any sense? Humans lack the resources, they are barely able to hold their own in wars on multiple fronts. The norn and charr are warrior races, and I doubt they put much thought into toys for their children. The charr do not raise their own children, they are sent off to Fahrar and made to join a warband so they can learn to fight. And the sylvari do not even have children, period. They are born as adults, they have need to make toys for themselves, although they likely would do so for other races if they had the means. This leaves the asurans, who most certainly have the means to do this. Asuran children also seem to be a troublesome and playful group that would enjoy toys, though toys for these children would likely be more advanced/complex/educational than ones for other races.

To look at the overall lore and current situations in the world…

This is a time of great trials for Tyria, and other groups (like the 3 orders) see the need to come together. What better way to unite the races, than through a shared celebration, especially one aimed at the children? Bringing the children of these four races together is likely a much simpler task than getting the adults to agree with each other on anything.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

Shadow I’m not sure if you noticed this but in the post previous to Wesley’s you called anyone who disagrees with you stupid.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that sounds like placing yourself on a high horse, that your opinion is somehow right rendering all else obsolete and worthy of ridicule.

(edited by Kill.3458)

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

To be claiming your knowledge and understanding of lore exceeds everyone else’s here, you overlook one huge mistake in that statement. Humans do not have airships. The Pact, a multi-order/multi-racial alliance, has the only known airships. These machines are based on technology from charr, asurans, and a believe humans as well, but they are not owned by the human kingdom, and have no place in that kingdom’s conflict with the centaur. The other four races and the three orders have not, to my knowledge, declared war on the centaur tribes of Kryta.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra