Wintersday Jumping Puzzle

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I’ve done this quite a few times ~1k I think. And people accuse each and everyone of botting. I don’t think it’s actually possible to create a programm that lets a single “bot” jump through the jumping puzzle as for that it’s too complex. I do believe that there are programms that port a bot from start to finish. But everybody seems to think everybody else is a bot – so I read “xyz has targeted zxy” “xyz: zxy is a bot, pls target and report” – first of all it’s annoying to read the targeting spam, even worse is being targeted all of the sudden.
Could you please disable targeting for the JP? Why are we enemies and allies at the same time anyway? And probably punish those who think it’s cool to ruin the game for everybody else by accusing and encouraging others to report someone for no reason.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

You have a lot to learn about cheaters and how they operate. Instead of being angry at those pointing out bots, how about you first try to inform yourself. You could start watching my video about how to spot teleport hackers. Check my signature.

And to disable targetting just because some trolls target the wrong people is a useless kneejerk reaction. If everything would be disabled that some random people abuse, the game would be unplayable. The target is an invaluable tool to prove the position of some cheaters who would otherwise be invisible to non-cheaters, like directly below the chest.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

(edited by Shikigami.4013)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I think she’s saying that she’s been targeted as a bot before, presumably because she has a high number of completes.

It’s people thinking that anyone who can complete the JP 15+ times is a bot. Like they see the person jumping snowflake to snowflake and still think they are a bot because they’ve completed it so many times.

The only way to bot the puzzle, AFAIK, is a teleport hack (which OP is obviously aware of), which is very different than someone jumping it legitimately.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Little Leota.5849

Little Leota.5849

I agree that it’s really annoying to have targets popping up on everybody’s heads, and it’s really distracting when you’re jumping and one appears over your own head.

That being said, Shikigami is correct that the target tool is invaluable to proving where the actual bots are located. These cheaters hide in the platforms in the starting area, mostly the snowman lane. In order to even find them you have to: a) spot their name sticking out slightly from the side of the platform, and/or, b) look at the underside of the platform where you will see a faintly glowing red circle. The easiest place to spot them from is the very edge of the gingerbread platform. Click on that circle and their name will appear at the top of your screen. Targeting them allows you to see exactly where they are, and when they teleport into the puzzle.

Being able to target a cheater helps me to verify when they arrive at the end of the puzzle as well, especially now that many of them are porting underneath the chest. In order to put my own mind at ease before I submit a report, I always target them at both the starting and ending of the jp.

Yesterday I noticed the botters have taken to targeting back the people who are targeting them. Maybe they’re hoping it will make us stop or get us reported. I say bring it on, I have nothing to hide.

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

Ok…I have so far not witnessed this “accusing of each and everyone of being a bot” at all, although I have a good number of finished runs myself. Maybe the puzzle instances are different ones by region, I play in the europe region.

However, I believe that one of the easiest tasks a bot program probably can do is to replay previously recorded movement/actions. The most simple clickers/mouserecorders are based on replaying things you teach them, and I certainly expect that a bot program can record what you do and then repeat it on demand.

To that end, if someone does the exact same flawless run each and every time, I understand why that can look suspicious. But I would never call them out to be botting, just because I have absolutely no way of telling if they are or not. I only call out or report bots when I am sure that they are bots.

So the real problem here is not being able to use a target in the JP, but people who accuse others just out of suspicion. I stand by my evaluation that disabling the target is a useless kneejerk reaction, and that it is not the problem here. It would be like banning hammers after someone got murdered with a hammer. And then banning axes after someone got murdered with an axe. The hammers and axes are not the problem, the people are.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)