Wintersday during winter

Wintersday during winter

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nannabie.6943

Nannabie.6943

Hey all .. Last few years we got Wintersday event around / after Xmas.
Personally i would want to enjoy the event in Dec. get into the Christmas spirit before Xmas. It’s such a fun and jolly time hehe It’s starting a bit late, and i wish it could start a week or so sooner.
It’s a bit “boring” to play the event after Xmas, in January. Well boring is the wrong word, it’s not as fun.

What do you guys n girls say?

Wintersday during winter

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Wintersday != Christmas.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Wintersday during winter

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Wintersday very obviously is Christmas themed (just themed on the modern aspects, not the religious stuff).

I can see how starting it earlier in December might seem logical (Although in the UK January is very definitely still winter) but I think the current timing has 2 big advantages:
1) Many people are very busy in the run up to Christmas. Even if you don’t celebrate it yourself there’s often work parties, in America there’s Thanksgiving, school events for the kids etc. If you do celebrate you’re likely to be either hosting at least one party or travelling to others. All of which leaves less time to play. In GW1 I only made the Wintersday finale once in 5 years because it’s held on new years day and I’m always seeing my family then.
2) The developers are people too and all of the above applies to them. Having the wintersday event run into January allows them to take time off from developing and testing new content without players complaining (as much) about being left with nothing to do.

That last one should be less of an issue with HoT coming out, but it still means they don’t have to jump straight into LS3.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Wintersday during winter

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Actually Wintersday is very strongly oriented on Yule, or rather a mix of Yule and what became of it in the first years with the Christianization (plus a modern touch obviously). Most “christian” traditions we have on christmas are actually the result of pagan traditions which got “reworked” to be adapted for christmas. With Christianization the church moved a lot of their holidays to be at the same day, or at least general time frame, as the original pagan holidays, thus giving the people only the option to celebrate the christian holidays (not doing so was punishable).
To still hold to traditions the people basically mixed what was forced on them, and what they did for centuries.

Wintersday during winter

Posted by: Mango.1845

Mango.1845

I love the Wintersday Event very much and so I would like it if Wintersday would take a little longer. Some days earlier in December and some days more in January. Because I think a lot of people don’t have enough time during the Christmas Days and New Year to enjoy the event.

Wintersday during winter

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Actually Wintersday is very strongly oriented on Yule, or rather a mix of Yule and what became of it in the first years with the Christianization (plus a modern touch obviously). Most “christian” traditions we have on christmas are actually the result of pagan traditions which got “reworked” to be adapted for christmas. With Christianization the church moved a lot of their holidays to be at the same day, or at least general time frame, as the original pagan holidays, thus giving the people only the option to celebrate the christian holidays (not doing so was punishable).
To still hold to traditions the people basically mixed what was forced on them, and what they did for centuries.

Hmm, I never really thought about that but it makes sense given Tyrian culture.

Starting in late December makes sense for me given the name. We usually do not see snow until the second half of December and most of the time after the holidays. Wintersday has snow everywhere. I expect the climate where Anet is is about the same.

Content like the ho-ho-ho tron wearing holiday stuff in January just seems odd though. After Jan 1 how about tweaking the content slightly but keep the mechanics? Have him collect money for birthday presents. Snow is all over the place for more people then so snowball fights and such are fine.

Wintersday during winter

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

I love having it run through January, it’s a fun pick-me-up in the post-christmas period which can otherwise be a bit of a downer, especially for us in the UK, where the weather generally turns truly atrocious in January: snow is lovely, but freezing sleet lashed by force 9 gales is more common here on the west coast of Wales! (‘Indoor weather’ we call it here lol )

OT: on the upside, I have two little Shetland ponies which become adorable little balls of shaggy hair and attitude in the winter, always cheers me up Sadly GW2 doesn’t have horses for me to cosplay them up, but they do a fair mini-dolyak impression in their shaggy winter coats, might see if I can rustle up a pile of gifts to give them that Winterday Gift Dolyak look and post a pic over Wintersday haha…

Wintersday during winter

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s a bit “boring” to play the event after Xmas, in January. Well boring is the wrong word, it’s not as fun.

What do you guys n girls say?

I’d say it’s a fun festival, regardless of when it occurs.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”