Wintersday is sadly disappointing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Don’t mind the events being the same personally. I enjoy these ones a lot, so am happy to see them back each year just as they were, rather than see them never come back like SAB, Queen’s Gauntlet, etc.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: Leming.8436

Leming.8436

Is it it strange though that Guild Wars 1 had the exact same holiday decorations and the exact same holiday quests every year, and people just did them and didn’t complain.

1) its not 2006 anymore, if people complain about Fallout 4 graphics (and sadly are right) they are right about events here, they should change every year, atlest few of them.
2) GW2 claims to be new and better type of MMO, that far their statement is a lie.
3) Huge mmos are coming next year and Anet should already start to think how to stop people from migrating, or these years they are counting times of log-ins per day not time of hours played?

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

WTF christmas! every year we do the same things! we make the same tree, we always do the same dinner in family…boooooring.

Guys…the level of complaints is blowing out of proportion, i feel….yes is the same, you know, there are new players, that haven’t experienced that last year…it’s not about new content, is about the spirit and feeling the festivities…
Anyway we still have the Snowfury to make

Gosh…

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Never did the holiday events last year so I’m enjoying myself quite a bit. Enjoying this more than wiping on Sabetha for 6 hours a night.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Legit question: First MMO?

Seasonal events are almost always the same every year, sometimes without any variation at all.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

at lest this is a event . the sad part is they never add new stuff to it and this is the only few events even at all in the game that happen every year. compared to gw1 even tho gw1 is still the same events every year. at lest they are event,s . yeah there is somethings i dont like but yet at lest i got a chance to finish stuff up .

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

….and Magic Snow! It’s like normal snow but ….. MAGIC!

Woo Hoo!

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

WTF christmas! every year we do the same things! we make the same tree, we always do the same dinner in family…boooooring.

Guys…the level of complaints is blowing out of proportion, i feel….yes is the same, you know, there are new players, that haven’t experienced that last year…it’s not about new content, is about the spirit and feeling the festivities…
Anyway we still have the Snowfury to make

Gosh…

Real world
Same type of tree. Check.
Same type of dinner. Check.
Same family. Check

Same presents? Not even close for obvious reasons.

This MMO
Same trees. Check.
Same food/drinks. Save a few new ones for a grindy achievement check.
Same guildies. More or less check.

Same presents? Well aside for the new one that you mentioned which is not only a grind, but a total gold sink. Check.

And in all honestly I would not mind if we got the things we got in 2012 again as it gave you the feeling of the season when you went to other places. After all IMO if they are trying to make new players experience what ANet has to offer then why bring back last year when 2012 was FAR more epic?

By this year I was expecting them to actually add to the events of the first year, as the code was already there, NOT diminish them to the point they are at now. If many players are having fun there than good on them, but these new “pocket festivals” should have been the intro events and not the end result of 3 years, again IMO.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

If anet makes everything a one time thing (living world), people complain. Make things the same with small tweaks, people complain….

They’re NOT small tweaks. They’re huge changes, all pushing into areas of less fun coupled with smaller rewards.

Posted by: ZachAttack.3957

ZachAttack.3957

The JP honestly isn’t that hard. Yes, it takes patience. But finishing it is more rewarding if you have to work for it.

Some activities are fun, but an annoying JP isn’t. And the reward ? yeh, right. Let’s not waste words on that please. Even the shoulders aren’t worth that much of a pain in the b..t.

Only reason to do the event is to sell all the crap you get and to gain some exp and karma, period.

The reward is INSANE. Sure, if you spend a couple hours and get it it doesn’t feel that rewarding- but when you get to a point where it becomes muscle memory, you can make MAD gold. One run takes about 1:50 minutes. Each round is half an hour long, therefore giving you the opportunity for 14-16 successfully runs in a row before you are met with a loading screen. And at 10 presents per completion (which is about 90s atm), that’s about 12.5 gold in half an hour (leaving room for errors), which is about 25 gold an hour. That is AMAZING, and is currently one of the best money making methods in the game.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

The JP honestly isn’t that hard. Yes, it takes patience. But finishing it is more rewarding if you have to work for it.

Some activities are fun, but an annoying JP isn’t. And the reward ? yeh, right. Let’s not waste words on that please. Even the shoulders aren’t worth that much of a pain in the b..t.

The reward is INSANE. Sure, if you spend a couple hours and get it it doesn’t feel that rewarding- but when you get to a point where it becomes muscle memory, you can make MAD gold. One run takes about 1:50 minutes. Each round is half an hour long, therefore giving you the opportunity for 14-16 successfully runs in a row before you are met with a loading screen. And at 10 presents per completion (which is about 90s atm), that’s about 12.5 gold in half an hour (leaving room for errors), which is about 25 gold an hour. That is AMAZING, and is currently one of the best money making methods in the game.

Spending “a couple of hours” on a time gated JP is not fun for me. Instead it feels like hard assembly-line work. And finishing this JP does not feel better only because of it beeing hard work.

And talking about “work” (and not just playing for fun): 25 gold equals around 2.5 USD. So you are talking about a salary of 2.5 USD per hour. That is way below the minimum wage where I live.

If I would like to “work for gold” I would not play the JP but work overtime in my real-life-job and spend the extra money to buy gems. I would get much much more “gold per hour” and also my real-life job is less frustrating than this time gated JP. At least for me.

Posted by: ZachAttack.3957

ZachAttack.3957

Spending “a couple of hours” on a time gated JP is not fun for me. Instead it feels like hard assembly-line work. And finishing this JP does not feel better only because of it beeing hard work.

And talking about “work” (and not just playing for fun): 25 gold equals around 2.5 USD. So you are talking about a salary of 2.5 USD per hour. That is way below the minimum wage where I live.

If I would like to “work for gold” I would not play the JP but work overtime in my real-life-job and spend the extra money to buy gems. I would get much much more “gold per hour” and also my real-life job is less frustrating than this time gated JP. At least for me.

Eh, it’s not work for me. I find it fun! But that’s not you, so :P Honestly even though it’s not much compared to IRL money buying gold, you could say that about every money making method in the game, to a greater extent.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I haven’t spent anywhere near a couple of hours in the JP but extrapolating the time I have spent on it I’m pretty sure my income would be approximately 0.0 gold per hour. I might earn slightly more if they fixed the platforms permanently in place but even that is not a certainty. It was good fun trying it though, and I probably made more successful jumps than I did on the Halloween one, it’s just a shame that the successful jumps were not a bit more, um, consecutive.

Now Toypocalypse. That’s my kinda thing. Love the build and upgrade bit. I’m proper enjoying the festival. It’s mostly daft fun with some easy ways to make a bit of gold.

Posted by: Death Aggro.9602

Death Aggro.9602

Yes, I can go throw snowballs at other players. Yes I can build snowmen out of magic snow. I can open presents and follow a dolyak carrying presents as many times as my heart desires.

The problem is that everything that we can do this year we could do last year. We have the same annoying JP, the same game ringing the bells, everything is the same.

The biggest disappointment of all. Because I did the “get the ornaments back for the orphans” event last year there is nothing new for me to do this year. I find it really sad that Anet couldn’t come up with something new for those of us that already have the tree. After all, think about it, we are long time loyal players but this is what we get for Wintersday?

Thank you Anet for ruining Wintersday for me by just recycling the same thing we had last year.

Hahaha your complaining about having the same stuff from last year? Its been the same stuff since this game launched in every holiday. The same stuff. Wouldn’t it be nice to have exclusive titles, items, etc from every years events to show how long you’ve been playing? And guess what. Next year will be the same again. Enjoy

Posted by: MrTree.4890

MrTree.4890

Is it it strange though that Guild Wars 1 had the exact same holiday decorations and the exact same holiday quests every year, and people just did them and didn’t complain.

Wintersday kept getting updates and was expanded into the expansions. (kamadan got questlines and a decoration, not only tombs, LA, droknar and ascalon. EoTN got new quests and also decorations.)
So: 2005 first wintersday, 2006 nightfall, 2007 UW quests?, 2008 expanded it to eotn, 2009 nothing new?. 2010 snowball fight of gods, 2011 nothing new, 2012 changed hat quest.
EoTN, the last expansion, was released 2007.

Halloween is afaik similar. And that are only two events. There are two other big events which are comparable to wintersday and halloween (canthan new year and dragon festival) plus several smaller events like aprils fool, thanksgiving, eastern, st. patricks, wintersday in july, wayfarer, pirate week.
So even when some events stayed the same, there was overall a bigger variety of events. GW2 has just released a new expansion. Anet hasn’t stopped developing GW2 and is already working on GW3. So its a bit sad they don’t seem to care about the events anymore.

Plz link where it says gw3 is in development? Not saying it’s not true just curious if there have been official statements :p

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wintersday kept getting updates and was expanded into the expansions. (kamadan got questlines and a decoration, not only tombs, LA, droknar and ascalon. EoTN got new quests and also decorations.)
So: 2005 first wintersday, 2006 nightfall, 2007 UW quests?, 2008 expanded it to eotn, 2009 nothing new?. 2010 snowball fight of gods, 2011 nothing new, 2012 changed hat quest.

Halloween is afaik similar. And that are only two events. There are two other big events which are comparable to wintersday and halloween (canthan new year and dragon festival) plus several smaller events like aprils fool, thanksgiving, eastern, st. patricks, wintersday in july, wayfarer, pirate week.
So even when some events stayed the same, there was overall a bigger variety of events. GW2 has just released a new expansion. Anet hasn’t stopped developing GW2 and is already working on GW3. So its a bit sad they don’t seem to care about the events anymore.

Plz link where it says gw3 is in development? Not saying it’s not true just curious if there have been official statements :p

They aren’t developing gw3. People say that just to be salty.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Several guild hall decorations to spruce up the place for wintersday. people can argue this is content that some can’t use, but honestly, it’s far better than the many many years of nothing guilds got previously.

It looks like holiday decorations are an official thing from here on.

Yes, I’m a big fan of this. I doubt we will get our scribing up in time so soon after HoT, but overall this is something I’m glad to see in game and gives us an extra aim

If you have a workshop, I’d happily scribe your decorations for you at the cost of the materials.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People didn’t have an official forum to give feed back on. I always liked winters day in GW1. GW2 winters day is just poor when compared to the other festival’s GW2 has had.

I’m just gutted I have to wast time everyday going to the orphans to give them gifts as they seem to only take one a day. And I have 92 left………..

You need the karma that badly? I’m just not doing it.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I did a search for the fun of it. The closest I could find to anything was one website saying that GW3 is rumored, which means about as much as a 90-year-old with dementia saying he was friends with Babe Ruth.

http://datesrelease.com/when-release-game/guild-wars-3-release-date.html

But who knows. They do have some pretty bad software that would be nice to escape from. That’s about the only good motivation for a sequel that I can think of, considering this is an MMO, not a single-player title.

Either way, even if a GW3 was in development, it wouldn’t be done by the current GW2 team. It would require a whole other team, of the same massive size.

Or words to that effect.

Daddicus.6128

I have a hard enough time doing regular, old jumping puzzles.

Same with me. I’m just too old to be able to complete timed puzzles of most kinds.

Daddicus.6128

but this is an old jumping puzzle, it got never changed in the last 3 years

Age matters not (except mine) when the issue is that it can’t be done by some people. (Older people, people with compromised movement or hand-eye coordination, etc.)

Daddicus.6128

The JP honestly isn’t that hard. Yes, it takes patience. But finishing it is more rewarding if you have to work for it. It’s definitely doable. On the other hand, if you have a dexterity issue due to some medical condition, then I understand the frustration. :\

Or, in my case, simply being a senior citizen.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I did a search for the fun of it. The closest I could find to anything was one website saying that GW3 is rumored, which means about as much as a 90-year-old with dementia saying he was friends with Babe Ruth.

But who knows. They do have some pretty bad software that would be nice to escape from. That’s about the only good motivation for a sequel that I can think of, considering this is an MMO, not a single-player title.

Either way, even if a GW3 was in development, it wouldn’t be done by the current GW2 team. It would require a whole other team, of the same massive size.

That article is all baseless speculation. Basically someone flapping their mouth and sounds coming out, but nothing worthwhile being said.

While there is no news regarding the third installment of the Guild Wars game, and the second on is on the go, we will keep you updated on the latest news. Be sure to come by from time to time to check it out. Until there is any info available, you can share your thoughts on the games’ progress here.
Guild Wars 3 is rumored to be released somewhere starting from the end of 2016.

No news or information to back up what he’s saying, but they’ll keep you updated and maybe end of 2016

Uh huh.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

That article is all baseless speculation. Basically someone flapping their mouth and sounds coming out, but nothing worthwhile being said.

While there is no news regarding the third installment of the Guild Wars game, and the second on is on the go, we will keep you updated on the latest news. Be sure to come by from time to time to check it out. Until there is any info available, you can share your thoughts on the games’ progress here.
Guild Wars 3 is rumored to be released somewhere starting from the end of 2016.

No news or information to back up what he’s saying, but they’ll keep you updated and maybe end of 2016

Uh huh.

Like I said, 90-year-old with dementia telling you he was friends with Babe Ruth. :P

It’s probably just a clickbait site. I haven’t looked into its reputation at all.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Mizukiaki.8590

Mizukiaki.8590

My small squabble is the shoulders. I got all the titles and achievements last year that are needed. Now I have to do them all over again even though I have them already. I am glad there are some new things to do, but making us repeat everything we already have is a bit silly.

Great games come and go, but the Awesome games are endless!!
Matron Kaldona Kye, Mesmer GW since launch.
Matron Kaldona Kye, Sylvari Chronomancer GW2 since closed Beta.

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

They were totally not going to do an expansion for GW2 either.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Just a flesh wound.3589

They were totally not going to do an expansion for GW2 either.

Source?

Because the one I saw said they were trying to do Living Story and if it worked out they wouldn’t need an expansion. So, if you have a source where they said they would not have an expansion then post it.

ANet may give it to you.

Daddicus.6128

Like I said, 90-year-old with dementia telling you he was friends with Babe Ruth. :P

Nice way to pick on a person: insult two people at the same time.

However, you should know that people with most forms of dementia actually remember events that happened long ago even though they (sadly) can’t remember their own childrens’ names. Further, the stories they DO remember are usually true (even for neurotypicals, it’s hard to remember lies 10 minutes after you make them up). So, if someone with dementia said s/he knew Babe Ruth, it’s quite likely the story is true.

(edited by Daddicus.6128)