Wintersday... really?

Wintersday... really?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Look, I’m not the kind of person who comes on the forums just to rant, and when I do post something, it’s usually constructive in nature, or a suggestion of some sort. But, after logging in after the patch, expecting to see Divinity’s Reach looking epic for Wintersday, with snow and decorations and all, I have to say, I felt like I just got slapped in the face by a giant, flaming sledgehammer.

I cannot even describe how dumbfounded I am right now.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Spiky.8403

Spiky.8403

They were too busy remaking daily/monthly system for 4th time. No time left for other stuff.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I’m still at work, is it that bad?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Where is all the HY-…no? ok kicks the sand

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

They may have moved it to Divinity’s Reach. (The load screen is changed, but I’m still in load screen so can’t see if there’s any decorations)

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: trampled underfoot.4523

trampled underfoot.4523

SNOOOOWROOOOOLL!

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Tien.3865

Tien.3865

It looks decorated for Wintersday to me.

Borlis Pass solo roamer

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

I was also really looking forward to seeing divinity’s reach, the most beautiful of cities all decorated. Only to be completely disappointed when I discovered its a tiny portion of dr, an arc really in the crown pavilion area, not even a whole section??? A freaking arc. Great we get to run back and forth on a small sliver…yay for wintersday, but look more garbage on the gem store.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Wintersday... really?

Tenrai Senshi.2017

It looks decorated for Wintersday to me.

One section is decorated (The crown Pavilion) but other than that, the rest of DR looks normal. When they announced that Wintersday was going to be in DR, I expected it all to be snowy and decorated, it would have looked so epic. I didn’t expect it to be just one area. Go anywhere else in DR and it doesn’t even feel like it’s Wintersday.

I don’t know, maybe my expectations where too high.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Endo Kazuki.2086

Endo Kazuki.2086

Agree!!! Even though Wintersday is held in DR, I truly expected that there would be at least SOME SNOW and decorations in LA. I logged in the heart of the mist welcomed by the wonderful decorations, went in the portal to LA, literally nothing has been placed there….

As far as DR goes, also dissapointed that only the crown pav has been decorated, love it though, but still they could have done it a bit more…. not complaining just dissapointed as Wintersday is my favorite gw 2 holiday/event.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

yeah, pretty underwhelmed

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

tbh this is what i expected i mean it is a really big city/zone
and what they did do looked really nice

not to mention then new quest type thing with the orphans

Wintersday... really?

Tenrai Senshi.2017

tbh this is what i expected i mean it is a really big city/zone
and what they did do looked really nice

not to mention then new quest type thing with the orphans

I honestly think the central area where the orrery is would have been a better location for the Wintersday festival decorations and events if they were only going to do it in one section of the city. They could have replaced the moving planets with Wintersday decorations and replaced the trees and hedges with Christmas trees and ice sculptures. Then have snow coming from the ceiling, and miniature towns and such along the garden paths, with snow, and it would have looked so epic.

It would also be a bit more explorable and intricate than the crown pavilion, which has a huge hole in it that takes up a lot of the surface area and limits you to roaming what is ultimately a relatively small outer rim.

What’s worse is part of it is sectioned off only for those who have a pass.

(edited by Tenrai Senshi.2017)

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

No, just the regular whiners whining.

Wintersday... really?

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Correction, I’m not a regular whiner. Just a disappointed gamer.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hmm…wasn’t only part of LA decorated? I don’t remember the whole of LA having decorations. Once away from the center of the city, the decorations just seemed to peter out.

Though, what was decorated seemed a larger area than what’s near CP. Ah well, perhaps LA will be repaired before next Wintersday, and since it may be moving back, the DR decorations are only for the one year, and not a lot put into them.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Except OP’s not really whining, and has little-to-no past history of doing it either. Go white knight elsewhere, please.

I agree, OP. Guild Wars has a history of decorating their main cities up nicely; even some that are way out in the boonies, like Droknar’s Forge ( which I never understood, but it was welcomed! ). To have such a small portion dedicated to Wintersday this year really is kind of a bummer. I really hope next years will be better should it return to DR, as Wintersday and, to a lesser extend Halloween, is something I personally look forward to a lot due to it being a “tradition” of sorts given how long I’ve been with the universe.

Or something like that.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Hmm…wasn’t only part of LA decorated? I don’t remember the whole of LA having decorations. Once away from the center of the city, the decorations just seemed to peter out.

Though, what was decorated seemed a larger area than what’s near CP. Ah well, perhaps LA will be repaired before next Wintersday, and since it may be moving back, the DR decorations are only for the one year, and not a lot put into them.

I think the outlying areas weren’t decorated, and the inner parts were.

Wintersday... really?

CMM.6712

Except OP’s not really whining, and has little-to-no past history of doing it either. Go white knight elsewhere, please.

I agree, OP. Guild Wars has a history of decorating their main cities up nicely; even some that are way out in the boonies, like Droknar’s Forge ( which I never understood, but it was welcomed! ). To have such a small portion dedicated to Wintersday this year really is kind of a bummer. I really hope next years will be better should it return to DR, as Wintersday and, to a lesser extend Halloween, is something I personally look forward to a lot due to it being a “tradition” of sorts given how long I’ve been with the universe.

Or something like that.

I never said the OP was. I was more referring to the temper tantrums being thrown about the daily changes. LA not being decorated is a very very minor thing. Would I have liked to see it sure, is it that big of a deal? No.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Spook.5847

Spook.5847

And the regular fanboi white-knighting :/

Wintersday... really?

CMM.6712

I’d prefer to be referred to as “non- full time – complainer”, thanks though.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

It is only a temporary event in Divinity’s Reach, normally the peons there do not celebrate Wintersday. It will move back to Lion’s Arch once that city is repaired. Latest Asuran estimate on time to complete Lion’s Arch repairs is 265 years, 37 days,15 hours, 12 seconds with a .007% error factor although the Charr are giving it a .237% error factor.

Theftwind (HoD)

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Mufasa.8415

Mufasa.8415

This should be a main point in this thread as well. This is a joke. Toyocolypse? Toybrokeolypse. Toyunacceptolypse. Toyehscrewitolypse. Toywatchthemrageolypse.
Remove it, replace it, or fix it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Parties-can-now-do-PvP-Matches-together/first#post4631498

Drunken Mufasa
The Stonemouth Keep
Tarnished Coast

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The other side to this conversation is everyone wants more content, more content, more content, let’s get more stuff, but we’re willing to take the extra time to decorate an entire city for what is one month.

Yeah, I get it. It would be great if the whole city was decorated. But it doesn’t affect my game one whit.

Where as the new dailies are quite nice for me.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Abdel Muhti.6431

Abdel Muhti.6431

I’d prefer to be referred to as “non- full time – complainer”, thanks though.

As lovely christmas is near i will call you a full time “Ebenezer Scrooge”. To enter a forum threat using words like “whiners whining” implements that you are a very sad and unhappy person that only wants to cause discomfort to other people. Maybe this is some kind of e-sport of our current generation.

To the topic:

It is really a small compressed winters day in the big beautiful city. Also the way the dolyak goes while dropping a handful of presents is very dissapointing and short. The winters day in old Lions Arch felt ways better.

We are not living in a box.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: enlightened.5396

enlightened.5396

12 whiners whining
11 complainers complaining
10 dissenters dissenting
9 gripers griping
8 carpers carping
7 grumblers grumbling
6 protesters protesting
5 new bugs
4 broken events
3 full toons
2 white knights
and a company not listening

Merry Wintersday everyone!

IGN – San Jacinto
Vanishing Legacy (VALE)

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

12 whiners whining
10 dissenters dissenting
9 gripers griping
8 carpers carping
7 grumblers grumbling
6 protesters protesting
5 new bugs
4 broken events
3 full toons
2 white knights

Trolls. Where are the trolls?

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

One section is decorated (The crown Pavilion) but other than that, the rest of DR looks normal. When they announced that Wintersday was going to be in DR, I expected it all to be snowy and decorated, it would have looked so epic.

While I agree, the problem would be that you’d then see a host of threads “Why is all of DR wintersday and everything so spread out? Come on ANet, bunch it all up in a corner!”.
(And once you do bunch it up, good luck getting budget to still change the entire city in art with it not having any use :P )

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Wintersday... really?

Tenrai Senshi.2017

The other side to this conversation is everyone wants more content, more content, more content, let’s get more stuff, but we’re willing to take the extra time to decorate an entire city for what is one month.

Yeah, I get it. It would be great if the whole city was decorated. But it doesn’t affect my game one whit.

People want more content of course, but my issue is more with the quality than the quantity. I want the content to be memorable (like the first Halloween event), so when it feels like ANet isn’t really putting as much effort into it as they could, I’ll naturally feel disappointed. It doesn’t help that most of the content in this year’s Wintersday is just recycled from last year and the year before that, which adds to its underwhelming feel for me.

As I said, maybe my expectations were just too high, but I think it’s better to have high expectations from a company than low expectations. I’m afraid I’m being driven more towards the latter lately and honestly, I don’t think that’s a good sign.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

12 whiners whining
10 dissenters dissenting
9 gripers griping
8 carpers carping
7 grumblers grumbling
6 protesters protesting
5 new bugs
4 broken events
3 full toons
2 white knights

Trolls. Where are the trolls?

Look under the bridges, that’s where they hide…

- Bill Bailey

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Nini.8941

Nini.8941

It’s a very pretty area, just feels really small.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People want more content of course, but my issue is more with the quality than the quantity. I want the content to be memorable (like the first Halloween event), so when it feels like ANet isn’t really putting as much effort into it as they could, I’ll naturally feel disappointed. It doesn’t help that most of the content in this year’s Wintersday is just recycled from last year and the year before that, which adds to its underwhelming feel for me.

As I said, maybe my expectations were just too high, but I think it’s better to have high expectations from a company than low expectations. I’m afraid I’m being driven more towards the latter lately and honestly, I don’t think that’s a good sign.

Holidays were always supposed to be mostly recycled as they were in Guild Wars 1, and they are in almost every MMO. There’s a reason for it. The more time you work on a holiday even to use 1 month a year, the less time you have for content.

I do think your expectations were too high, since we were never led to believe that the holidays would change much. Anet said as much early on.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Re-decorations are minimal, i agree, it can be somewhat disappointing. But if you remember re-decorations in LA weren’t exactly state of art either, same crap as in DR, decently done main plaza (don’t remember the name) and rest are those stupid ra… asuran machines poring a little bit of snow. Couldn’t that big kitten golem air ship drop some effing snow for us? Meh. Such poor imagination, dem people .

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Indeed so much fail, I kinda expected the whole city being one bg happy x-mass town. instead that tiny boring portion of it was altered. I understand that it’s a big change to do the whole city, but that is what smart designers/devs are for arent they.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I played yesterday! Looks OK to me, it looks like it should anyways… I don’t get all the hate. I’m just disappointed about the endless tonics collection (yeah I’m a collection w****e), too expensive.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Many developers were moved to Healthy and Appropriate QA.

Throwing away pieces of the original designer and developers’ work doesn’t just happen, it takes person power.

Side Note: As a joke, I had posted a cardboard robot pic as what our characters would eventually look like, to make sure we weren’t offending anyone and we were all taking part in raising everyone else’s children for America and NASCAR, and they quite literally made a tonic that turns us into…a big box. That’s awesome.

Post Side Note: Having said that, I’m still more or less enjoying the game. I just ‘really’ don’t like this one, over reaching, heavy handed direction that pulls out visual aspects of the game I really enjoyed for the first 14 or so months of the game (running animation, idle animation, original clothing system). The changes all seem to support a common theme. I’d still like them to just admit it, if nothing else.

Attachments:

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

Many developers were moved to Healthy and Appropriate QA.

Throwing away pieces of the original designer and developers’ work doesn’t just happen, it takes person power.

Side Note: As a joke, I had posted a cardboard robot pic as what our characters would eventually look like, to make sure we weren’t offending anyone and we were all taking part in raising everyone else’s children for America and NASCAR, and they quite literally made a tonic that turns us into…a big box. That’s awesome.

Post Side Note: Having said that, I’m still more or less enjoying the game. I just ‘really’ don’t like this one, over reaching, heavy handed direction that pulls out visual aspects of the game I really enjoyed for the first 14 or so months of the game (running animation, idle animation, original clothing system). The changes all seem to support a common theme. I’d still like them to just admit it, if nothing else.

That Danbooru pic from Yotusbato! pretty much describe my feeling on Fractal reset/changes, NPE, traits change, living story and now this daily system. It just downhill slide one after another.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Perhaps Hoelbrak would have been an easier town to decorate Anet…

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

It’s almost like the ANet staff are human beings with lives of their own and limited time in which to do things…

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Wintersday... really?

Tenrai Senshi.2017

It’s almost like the ANet staff are human beings with lives of their own and limited time in which to do things…

Strange. I also have a life of my own, and limited time to do things, and yet I still have to work and I still have yo satisfy clients’ needs. If I can’t then they go elsewhere, where there’s superior service. That’s how business works. That’s how it goes for everyone. ANet are not special in that regard.

As for the limited time excuse, considering most of the Wintersday content is recycled, it should have given them MORE time to work on the aesthetic side of things, which, really, was all they had to work on for the most part.

Wintersday... really?

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

It’s almost like this is their job and can’t meet deadlines. Or you know remember what we liked last year and keep that.

But whatever. I’ll have abandoned Wintersday before the weekend except to do the dailies.

Wintersday... really?

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Holidays were always supposed to be mostly recycled as they were in Guild Wars 1, and they are in almost every MMO. There’s a reason for it. The more time you work on a holiday even to use 1 month a year, the less time you have for content.

I do think your expectations were too high, since we were never led to believe that the holidays would change much. Anet said as much early on.

Yes, I understand that, but because it’s recycled I did expect a bit more effort into the aesthetic side of things. ANet did announce that Wintersday would be in DR this year so I did expect DR to have that festive vibe about it. It just didn’t give me that vibe.