Wish one could select what zones to download.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aazo.2841

Aazo.2841

What I mean is.. I have zero interest in silly PVE raid content… ZERO. So I would love to be able to select what game content to download and what not too for my patching (referring to the large texture, and map files here). I would be fine not downloading the instanced dungeon, raid, fractals and arena pvp (Tpvp/Spvp) zones, as I am an open world player (be it PVE or WVW). So would love to be able to omit the linear closed content from even downloading and taking up useless space on my HD. They proved it was potentially viable to do this to some extent with the (cant enter zone until it downloads) partial patch able to play mode. I just wish they would do it one step further and allow folks to save the bandwidth for those of us geographically limited on bandwidth (max I can get is 1mb/sec in my area). And this way players could choose to download the parts of the game that they most use could do so, and skip the parts they are not interested in.

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

…. That’s not a bad idea actually, they wouldn’t even need to select what to download, just an option to NOT download any area until you enter it.

Posted by: Jon Olson

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

Choose “On Demand” in the General Options tab under “Streaming”.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

A good suggestion, thank you Jon but, what does “On Demand” actually mean?

Could you please tell us what ramifications a player will incur by changing to that setting?
i.e.

• will the game only load the map you are currently in or will it maybe load all maps you have at one time visited?
  • will each new map you go to have a noticeably longer load time?
  • will the other not demanded content trickle download?
  • will personally never used content, like PvP, Raids and Fractals never get downloaded?

Just a bit more information will enable us to make a more personally informed decision.

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

A good suggestion, thank you Jon but, what does “On Demand” actually mean?

Could you please tell us what ramifications a player will incur by changing to that setting?
i.e.

• will the game only load the map you are currently in or will it maybe load all maps you have at one time visited?
  • will each new map you go to have a noticeably longer load time?
  • will the other not demanded content trickle download?
  • will personally never used content, like PvP, Raids and Fractals never get downloaded?

Just a bit more information will enable us to make a more personally informed decision.

The On Demand setting only downloads new information as it is needed to display the game in its current state. As such, any maps you have not already downloaded or been to will not be downloaded until such time as they are needed.

General ramifications of using it:

• There is a minimum the game must download after each patch. This is usually small, but entirely required by the game to run correctly.
  • Characters/players/mobs can take a little longer to load if they have not already been downloaded. This can depend on your connection speed heavily. Characters/players will typically use a standard model until more information is available.
  • Portals to maps you do not currently have will visually be different. When you approach it, the game will ask if you want to download it in the background. You can choose to continuing playing in the current map while the game downloads the necessary information. After completing it will notify you. Alternately you can wait on the loading screen. The UI of the loading screen when downloading shows the current progress of it.
Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

I have tried that, it isn’t really an issue. The game will download the vital stuff but will then postpone the zones updates until you try to enter one. If you do try to enter a zone that hasn’t been updated it will ask, You can then continue in the present zone until downloading is complete and it will then transport you.

That was a bit ago, so may have changed. It seemed to work very well indeed.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Jon: Thank you for the follow up information. I think I may try changing to that setting.

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

It’s always nice if a programmer takes a little time to respond.

If only anet people posted there would be less complaints. Players almost always respond positively if there is a comment from staff.