With so many bugs? Why the anti-farm code?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Void.4205

Void.4205

Q:

I find on average 10 new bugs a day, and report them everyday with the /bug command. This is a crazy amount in my opinion.

I am wondering something very simple. What is the thinking behind the anti-farm code in GW2? I would expect the bugs to be a bigger issue now.

I can see it being useful to deter bots, but other then that it seems like it will simply hinder the rest of the community. I can even see it being highly useful to stabilize the economy, but given that there are so many other features currently implemented to stabilize the economy, repair costs, travel costs. It seems almost overkill.

Some people like to farm. A huge part of guild-wars 1 was farming, that seems to be being killed by the idea of anti farm code in GW2. This practically seemed encouraged by the developers in GW1. How else would you farm for an entire set of obsidian armor?

Not everyone who farms is a bot, so I do not understand the reason for the anti-farm code other then to hinder players more then bots.

Posted by: Lysidian.4653

Lysidian.4653

In before the fanbois and white knights jump to ANET’s defense and say that you should be relocating around the map every 15 mins. Or just play for fun. Or go pvp. Or go run dungeons with bugged rewards. Or that there are no grinds in GW2. Or just go buy the mats you need off the TP.

Closing – anti farm script and DRs were a bad idea IMO

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Or just play for fun.

Perish the thought! I would never insult you by suggesting that you play the game in such a way that you enjoy it. Have a miserable day.

Posted by: vicwolf.7862

vicwolf.7862

Or just play for fun.

Perish the thought! I would never insult you by suggesting that you play the game in such a way that you enjoy it. Have a miserable day.

Because “play for fun” is a rubbish suggestion that doesn’t contribute anything to the discussion or offer any solutions to the problems presented.

tolunart.2095

Or just play for fun.

Because “play for fun” is a rubbish suggestion that doesn’t contribute anything to the discussion or offer any solutions to the problems presented.

“Play for fun” is the entire point of the game. Are you having fun? Continue. Not having fun? Look for something else to do. No one on this forum is going to come up with the solutions to the game’s problems. Most of the people posting can’t see far enough beyond their own biases to even offer any solutions.

vicwolf.7862

@tolunart
what gives you the impression that I play the game for any reason other than that? Did it never occur to you that the stuff we’re trying to get fixed is preventing us from having fun?

Saying “play the game for fun” is saying “play the game I play, not the way you play”, it’s imperious and makes you come off as an kitten. That is why it is a bad statement that gets you zero respect.

Posted by: kal.4350

kal.4350

Are you having fun? Continue

nope, antifarming code

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Eventually they’ll fix the bugs (hopefully), and eventually they’ll fix the anti-farm code properly so that it affects bots and not legit players.

Until then, play for fun, or go to another game for a few months.

tolunart.2095

@tolunart
what gives you the impression that I play the game for any reason other than that? Did it never occur to you that the stuff we’re trying to get fixed is preventing us from having fun?

Saying “play the game for fun” is saying “play the game I play, not the way you play”, it’s imperious and makes you come off as an kitten. That is why it is a bad statement that gets you zero respect.

I’m not here to impress you, or tell you what to do. My advice is this:

You have no significant investment in the game. Six months from now you will not have put any more money into it than you have now, unless you choose to do so. If the bugs and tweaks interfere with your enjoyment of the game so much, do something else for a while. Come back when the bugs are fixed.

If the game itself is the problem, such as the lack of “endgame” raiding or whatever, then accept that this is not the game you are looking for, and no amount of complaining about it is going to cause Arenanet to throw away their game and make a new one to replace it.

vicwolf.7862

Eventually they’ll fix the bugs (hopefully), and eventually they’ll fix the anti-farm code properly so that it affects bots and not legit players.

Until then, play for fun, or go to another game for a few months.

Bad idea, then they won’t have players like us who actually give a kitten and want it to get better. All they’ll have left are the fans that don’t care how busted the game is and will play it anyways, but they are only the tiniest fraction of the total playerbase and not worth pandering to because nothing is gained.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

@Lysidian: I´d rather be a “fanboy”, whatever that, than someone who is insisting how much this game sucks for weeks, yet seems bound to stick around.

vicwolf.7862

@algreg
I guess you don’t like the game as much as you claim you do then.

Posted by: Sialor.7396

Sialor.7396

I am wondering something very simple. What is the thinking behind the anti-farm code in GW2? I would expect the bugs to be a bigger issue now.

The people fixing the bugs and the people developing the anti-farm code are not necessarily the same group

vicwolf.7862

Pretty sure they don’t have people fixing bugs then.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

The people fixing the bugs and the people developing the anti-farm code are not necessarily the same group

This. Game development doesn’t involve every single software engineer and designer working solely on one aspect of the game. It’s extremely inefficient.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Moakist.5268

Moakist.5268

What’s the anti farm code you’re talking about? The dungeon thing they did?

The Fayth – Ferguson’s Crossing

vicwolf.7862

If you’re killing the same mobs in the same area for about 20-30 minutes you will receive 0 loot drops of any kind.

Moakist.5268

If you’re killing the same mobs in the same area for about 20-30 minutes you will receive 0 loot drops of any kind.

So…they force you to move on thinking that the mat drops to level – say tailoring, for example…are adequate? Do they realise they are not adequate?

Golly, I’ve never heard of such a thing. Even in wow you were encouraged to farm mats…what’s the big deal?

Moakist.5268

Also, define what an area constitutes? How big of an area are we talking about?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

@algreg

There is a big difference between pointing out obvious shortcomings, like the persistent bugs, and just bashing the whole game out of principle, which some people clearly do, if you care to check the histories. If you are complaining about just everything the game is about, at some point “then what the heck are you still doing here” seems to be a valid question.

vicwolf.7862

@algreg

There is a big difference between pointing out obvious shortcomings, like the persistent bugs, and just bashing the whole game out of principle, which some people clearly do, if you care to check the histories. If you are complaining about just everything the game is about, at some point “then what the heck are you still doing here” seems to be a valid question.

Nobody pays the general complaints about nothing any mind; that you do is a mark against your own attention to detail and ability to filter information.

I’ve only ever complained about specifics and so have the people to whom I’ve read and responded to. If you want to tell them to be specific then have at it, don’t be a tool and tell them to be quiet and don’t try to diminish my specific complaints by conflating me with those people.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

The people saying you can just go to a different area or travel a circuit through a zone to avoid the DR are simply wrong/lying about it. It can hit you regardless of moving through an entire zone.

Also, it seems to be bugged in weird ways, because sometimes you will hit it very quickly, other times not as much or not at all.

In any case, it’s a massive problem and it seriously impacts a lot of people. I don’t play the game solely to “farm” things, and in fact by most people’s definition I NEVER farm anything (staying in one spot the whole time killing one mob type), but it was unequivocally better when I could simply play and have decent loot by the end of the session, without having to structure my entire play time around this arbitrary and invisible system (i.e., before they put the loot DR system in).

Posted by: Artorous.8573

Artorous.8573

The people saying you can just go to a different area or travel a circuit through a zone to avoid the DR are simply wrong/lying about it. It can hit you regardless of moving through an entire zone.

Also, it seems to be bugged in weird ways, because sometimes you will hit it very quickly, other times not as much or not at all.

In any case, it’s a massive problem and it seriously impacts a lot of people. I don’t play the game solely to “farm” things, and in fact by most people’s definition I NEVER farm anything (staying in one spot the whole time killing one mob type), but it was unequivocally better when I could simply play and have decent loot by the end of the session, without having to structure my entire play time around this arbitrary and invisible system (i.e., before they put the loot DR system in).

See, I’ve yet to come across this mystical anti-farm code. I think you people just hear about something and assume since you’re not getting rares/exotics or the mats you want every few kills that it’s the anti-farm code instead of RNG. Even if you’re fully stacked with nothing but MF gear you’re still not guaranteed the drops you’re after. Had they not mentioned anything about this anti-farm code no one would be complaining about.

It works the exact same way it did in GW1 and next to no one complained about it there. If you don’t like their design decisions, go play something else. It’s that simple. There’s no sub fee so you’re free to come and go as you please.

Posted by: Noxu.7203

Noxu.7203

I can understand why the anti-farm code is disliked by people, especially those that are attempting to craft (I, personally, am not a fan of it, since Fine Crafting Materials are somewhat hard to come by), but unlike a lot of people I realize that this world is big and vast and there’s more than just one area to farm for these crafting materials.

Is it a setback? Sure. Do I like it? Not really. Are there ways around it? Definitely.

I think that was one of the points of the anti-farm code, to have people go out and go to other places to get the materials instead of staying huddled up in one area.

Of course, I could always be wrong.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Believe what you want, I’ve experienced it first hand every day since they put it in the game.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Would be interesting to see how many people are actually being affected, and how many people only think they’re being affected.

The psychology behind stuff like this is interesting.

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

Well. Items have some actual value if there is only a limited supply that enters the game.
This makes in game currency have value.
This supports an in game economy. EG. you /may/ have to buy (or sell) to other players.

This IS an MMO and not a single player game.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

Would be interesting to see how many people are actually being affected, and how many people only think they’re being affected.

The psychology behind stuff like this is interesting.

Well I can assure you the DR is buggy.

Doing a dungeon path that ive never done before:
19s 45 tokens and 133k exp (DR’d from normal rewards)
dungeon took an hour.

Waited 2 hours. Did a dungeon path I have done before, but hadnt done for over a week. Midway through the dungeon the dailies reset too, so even if I had done it that very same day I should have gotten the first of the day

19s, 45 tokens and 133k exp

Someone in my party who had never stepped foot in that dungeon before apparently only got 2 tokens.

yeah, DR is a crop of kitten.