With wintersday commnig to an end..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: alwinp.2791

alwinp.2791

I want to salute to all the players that have dedicated themselves to grind for serveral hours each day, potentially missing out on the real holidays to achieve the maximum requirement of 10.000 drinks so they can enjoy their new prestige winter essence.

We did it boys and girls!

Did you get it? Was it worth it?

I farmed 8k, bought the remaining 2. If I could draw back time I would have probably skipped it. But it was hard to quit when i was already halfway there

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I gave up early on that part (mostly due to the JP requirement, partly due to having just finished Nightfury and not wanting another big project right away). But the Sweet Tooth seemed doable so I chomped all my candy canes and lots of my mint foods. As of last night I still needed over 1K … so I bought the rest (hint: you will save a good hunk of change if you put in bids on the mint rolls, I got those at 1s 69c each instead of the over 2s per candy cane).

Thank you, Win7, for having the Accessibility controls. I turned the num-pad-equals-mouse function long enough to just have to tap the + key a lot to eat the food stacks.

Time to go farm up a lot of gifts to sell booze and food to recoup some of those costs!

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

No one said you had to get it right now. The 10,000 drink achievement will still be available after Wintersday ends on the 12th.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

No it wasn’t worth it. The main emphasis to wintersday were achievements, gold sinks, time sinks, grinding…

The event was not about fun. Players were tucked into the corner in December for this event, meanwhile in October the devs had record sales for HoT… Which = a lot of money… and in October, because of “play for free”, Anet doubled their monthly concurrent user base to 3,100,000 players…

Wintersday was not a thank you to the players for a great year or a thank you for all the support and money… nor an event designed around the premise of “celebration”… It was an event to save money period.

So devs, thank you for wintersday in the corner of DR and for poor rewards and lots of double clicking… while phat stacks of HoT cash from customers and yearly devotion from players went unthanked. Also, good way to run an event to show all those new 1,700,000 (I’ll check that number later but I’m close) monthly concurrent players how GW2 runs events and how much y’all really care about the playerbase.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

I think I did the opposite, farming 2k n buying 8k, give or take lol. Worth it? I think so, I’ve easily made back most of the money I put in with the extra farming once it was done.
Gold comes and goes, but skins are forever!

Though, I will add that I’ll be bummed if every new skin involves this kind of grind. Although, so far only the skins with big visual effects have been pricy to obtain (Queen Bee, Nightfury, WP)

On a similar note, I think Anet can/should have 2 skins available for these events: 1 that people grind for if they really want it, and one that everyone can get, like hats n such, remember when Anet gave us those for being loyal to them? way back in the day?

(edited by Ven Zehn.6573)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I didn’t try, but only because I didn’t want the shoulders.

I still farmed a bunch of presents, but with less of a feeling of pressure (call me crazy but I actually like the jumping puzzle, Bell Hero and the dungeon, so this is one form of farming I don’t mind doing) and got, at a very rough estimate about 300g.

So far I’ve bought the materials for medium ascended leggings, all the Wintersday minis I didn’t already have, I’ve put in a bid for a mini Jackalope and I still have 40g left, some of which will go on a new pistol skin I’m working on, the rest will probably go on other minis and/or skins.

So all in all I’ve had a pretty good Wintersday.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Venomge.7142

Venomge.7142

Terrible looking worthless skin you can’t really wear with a shoulder piece, too much grind for something so insignificant. Can’t be bothered by it, pass.

Desolation [EU] – Thief

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I haven’t made it through all the drinks yet, but it’s the last piece of the puzzle for me. Figure I can work on it a little bit at a time over the course of the year.

I think I have everything except the drinks on my alt account too. Have to check that tonight. (Since it’ll patch before I get home tomorrow, which makes tonight my last chance)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

On a similar note, I think Anet can/should have 2 skins available for these events: 1 that people grind for if they really want it, and one that everyone can get, like hats n such, remember when Anet gave us those for being loyal to them? way back in the day?

I remember hearing about it, and occasionally seeing them in-game. As I was never at home on the one day a year they rewarded us for “loyalty” and so wasn’t eligible regardless of how much time I spent in-game the rest of the year I never got one myself.

Not that I’m bitter or anything. (But seriously, I actually prefer this system over something so severely time-limited, especially to a day when many people are going to have other commitments.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I just paid the 600G or so and bought the drinks to finish the achievement. The 54+ hours of farming didn’t feel worth it when I could simply make another legendary, in a fraction of the time, to sell and fund buying those drinks.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I finished it last week. Though I had a 2k alcohol headstart because a friend who only plays rarely, used up all his gold to help me. (Already payed him back with the overflow I farmed on alcohol. I’m up about 2000 wintersday bags now that will earn me money for legendary too

My sweet tooth is not finished yet, because I always use candy in jumping puzzle to increase karma gain. I will spam the last ones i need before patch tomorrow (got them in inventory ready to use xd).

As for the skin, i really love it, brings something new to your character, and works great with some legendaries. Being one of the most ‘visually’ shoulder skins yet, I honestly don’t think it’s to expensive. Then again, i was really stressed at start of event to make the 10k. 6k would have been more reasonable BUT would have had no nostalgia to gw1 achievement, and would have sounded ‘weird’. I think that’s why Anet did what they did.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I just paid the 600G or so and bought the drinks to finish the achievement. The 54+ hours of farming didn’t feel worth it when I could simply make another legendary, in a fraction of the time, to sell and fund buying those drinks.

Farming 20000 t6 mats in ‘a fraction of time’, tell me please how xd. In last months that I played a lot, my empty t6 stacks, only went up by 20. Yes i play silverwaiste, and new maps a lot.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: xiiliea.9356

xiiliea.9356

It’s still year-end holidays for me. So I’ve been farming Winter Wonderland 12 hours a day, 3000 boxes a day. Used to make me 300g per day but now with falling prices, 200g.

I think I’ve farmed up a total of 6k gold already.

Plus my 30 stacks of Bags of Festive Materials, which should be worth around 1k gold.

Ayrilana.1396

Farming 20000 t6 mats in ‘a fraction of time’, tell me please how xd. In last months that I played a lot, my empty t6 stacks, only went up by 20. Yes i play silverwaiste, and new maps a lot.

I’d buy all the mats and sell for a profit. You can easily make 600G profit on most legendaries with some surpassing 1000G. I leveled all my characters to 80 by doing world completion so I have excess gifts of exploration.

Posted by: Kide.3695

Kide.3695

I got all the drinks done just a the other day. I did not buy any other than some each day with the karma from the NPC. Otherwise did bells while been at my parents place with horribly internet, as was a pain to try to jump there. Even though managed to do it through once there. On other times then jumped a lot of the jumping puzzle, and it is not really boring to me, as I like jumping. And I make different achievements to myself, as in first to get the 15 rounds in 30 minutes, then 16 and managed to get the 17 rounds barely in 30 minutes once as well. Making other goals than actually the drinks. Then I enjoy it, trying to do better all the time, little by little doing quicker runs etc.

It was still a lot and lot of drinks to get, but now at least can just do whatever I want to do. Which ended up been some more jumping puzzle, some snowball mayhem etc. I do think snowball mayhem for example should be able to reward a bit more though, as it is really a shame how much more profitable overall the jumping puzzle is. Still I am happy I got the skin, as a newish player got no other skins of that type and it should work nicely for my norn.

Posted by: Combination NC.9813

Combination NC.9813

The stress of trying to get those 10k drinks has made it really hard to enjoy the event itself. I spent over two million karma getting gifts, used up all my gold, and focused all my gameplay time on doing my dailies and playing the Wintersday games for the entire month, and I still only got about halfway. So for someone who does not have the free time to grind/farm for several hours per day, it has been really demoralising.

Knights of the Round Vegetable [SASS], Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Since I knew I would never be able to get that shoulderpiece, I just went for the meta. Sold all the booze and bought stuff for the guild. Elder wood for the most part. So something good did come out of it.

I do feel like a worthless player though, because of the jumping puzzle requirement.

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

It’s still year-end holidays for me. So I’ve been farming Winter Wonderland 12 hours a day, 3000 boxes a day. Used to make me 300g per day but now with falling prices, 200g.

I think I’ve farmed up a total of 6k gold already.

Plus my 30 stacks of Bags of Festive Materials, which should be worth around 1k gold.

Wow – Lucky you for having the time! Well done.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I didn’t bother with Winter’s Presence, as I’m not a huge fan of giant particle effect masses.

I enjoyed making gold selling all my drinks to the people who were going for it, though. I always end up doing a ton of Bell Choir during wintersday because I find it great fun, so it was really nice to be able to make some cash (and karma) off it at the same time. I didn’t make nearly as much as some people did (holy crap @ the guy who made 6k) but I probably ended up making maybe 200g or so, even though I ended up spending a good chunk of it on my Secret Toymaker gifts.

Posted by: Firebawlt.1796

Firebawlt.1796

Does anyone know if Wintersday ends when 11/1/16 ends, or does it end at the end of 12/1/16?

Ayrilana.1396

Does anyone know if Wintersday ends when 11/1/16 ends, or does it end at the end of 12/1/16?

It ends whenever they do the update which will be in less than 24 hours.

Posted by: Firebawlt.1796

Firebawlt.1796

So it won’t be when it ticks over to 12/1/16, but it could be any time during the day then.

Ayrilana.1396

So it won’t be when it ticks over to 12/1/16, but it could be any time during the day then.

Yes. They typically do updates between 9am and 12pm Pacific time.

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

I bought all 10k drinks. Took me 1 day to get this shoulder and well worth it.

Attachments:

(edited by Taxidriver.2043)

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

Good thing this event come when I’m in a long break and jumping puzzle is my sub-profession :>.

Took about 10 days to finish the drink and crafting Nevermore along the way too.

A bit bored at some point but I just take a break and do something else when that happen.

I’m pretty much happy with this skin because most of the shoulder skin on charr is ugly (and it fit Nevermore pretty nice too) .

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m up to a little over 4k drinks purely through farming all the various Wintersday achieves for the AP. Over the rest of the year I’ll continue to slowly advance it by opening my HI gifts and buying drinks if prices fall. If not, I’ll just finish it next Wintersday. As a collection, it’s going to be open forever.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m up to a little over 4k drinks purely through farming all the various Wintersday achieves for the AP. Over the rest of the year I’ll continue to slowly advance it by opening my HI gifts and buying drinks if prices fall. If not, I’ll just finish it next Wintersday. As a collection, it’s going to be open forever.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It would be 1 hour and 15 minutes of clicking for all the drinks combined …

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

It would be 1 hour and 15 minutes of clicking for all the drinks combined …

Right click → Consume all