WoW Clone.

WoW Clone.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Strikerjolt.5910

Strikerjolt.5910

I bet 10 gold that some people are going to read the title, and that’s it.

Can we stop dropping the WoW clone on every single idea that’s close related to WoW?
Just because another game has done something doesn’t mean GW2 can’t do it.

The business model should be. “What have they done in the past, and how can I do it better.”

Not. “They did it, never speak about it!”

WoW was the best MMORPG for a long, long time for a reason. They had great ideas, and sadly it seems like Blizzard is killing WoW in favor of their new game Titan.

There’s a plenty of aspects from WoW that could be used in this game to improve it, but community is backlashing the smallest idea even though it could improve the game massively.

And honestly.. WoW and GW2 are very similar in a lot of ways, and it’s time to admit this.

So can we please drop the WoW Clone saying, and start saying.

“How could Arenanet do what WoW did, but BETTER.”

Some of the ignorant behavior on this forum is insanely disheartening.

We can’t have 8-12 man dungeons?
Guild Wars 1 did.

And here’s a few things to think about it.
If GW2 is so different from WoW.
Why is there 5 man dungeons? They’re not different from the 5 man dungeons in WoW. In fact they are worse. (Unless it’s fractals. They totally did that right in my eyes)

Take out the dodge gimmick, and what’s the real difference between WoW combat, and GW2 combat?

(edited by Strikerjolt.5910)

WoW Clone.

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

I have read everything you wrote. I’d like my 10 gold now please.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Nautika.5376

Nautika.5376

Whatever 90% of WoW is cloned from other games it is what the MMO market is good at. The ONLY thing Wow had going for it in my opinion was end game raiding as no other game prior or past has had that level of end game content.

But again 90% of everything in that game has been copied from other games especially the EQ series, DAOC, UO, and others who all were out before it.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I have read everything you wrote. I’d like my 10 gold now please.

He said some people, not everyone :p

WoW Clone.

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

I’d still like the 10 gold, tbh.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

WoW Clone.

Strikerjolt.5910

Whatever 90% of WoW is cloned from other games it is what the MMO market is good at. The ONLY thing Wow had going for it in my opinion was end game raiding as no other game prior or past has had that level of end game content.

But again 90% of everything in that game has been copied from other games especially the EQ series, DAOC, UO, and others who all were out before it.

I agree. WoW was a clone of the EQ series big time, and I think people forget that games are built at looking from other games. I hardly know any games that are truly unique, and different. There’s a few I have on Steam, and played on the consoles.

I kinda laugh at how people make fun of the pet battles in WoW, and I think it was a great idea. It actually gave a reason to collect minis, and make them useful than just another silly add on.

That could also work in this game, and will make MINIS meaningful.
But NO, BAD I DESERVED TO BE FLOGGED! I talked about WoW!

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I understand what your saying, i just disagree with it, many many players played the Guildwars franchise because it wasn’t like WoW and they found it fun.

So with Guildwars 2 its become a WoW clone, those very same people are angry and disappointed.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

People like to bandwaggon hate. Just how it is. WoW was a good game, and still is. I just personally don’t get enjoyment from it anymore. One of the best things about it is the Engine, and responsiveness. The game can run on a toaster, and do it well.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

WoW Clone.

Strikerjolt.5910

I understand what your saying, i just disagree with it, many many players played the Guildwars franchise because it wasn’t like WoW and they found it fun.

So with Guildwars 2 its become a WoW clone, those very same people are angry and disappointed.

:b thanks for your feedback, but GW2 and still very similar to WoW as it is even if you don’t see it.

I don’t see how adding a few mechanics to GW2 from WoW makes it a “WoW clone” I honestly think people are over-zealous with this phase, and do it to Everyone single topic

How is adding bigger party dungeons make it a WoW clone? Gw1 had bigger parties for certain dungeons.

How is adding a dual spec system to GW2 make it a WoW clone?

And countless other things.

I don’t agree with mounts though. o.e Guild wars should never have mounts.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Vae Victus.3678

Vae Victus.3678

Or maybe, just maybe, instead of asking (or demanding) that the developers use valuable time and manpower to introduce things from other games, like big dungeons and mini pet battles, you could, I don’t know, just go play one of the dozens of MMOs that already have those things.

I big part of what attracts so many people to this game is its relatively unique commitment to avoiding restrictive content like 8-12 man dungeons. Even if a person can just “choose not to do the dungeons,” they still take valuable development resources to design, create, and implement that could be better spent on content that’s in line with the game’s original vision and selling points.

WoW Clone.

Strikerjolt.5910

Or maybe, just maybe, instead of asking (or demanding) that the developers use valuable time and manpower to introduce things from other games, like big dungeons and mini pet battles, you could, I don’t know, just go play one of the dozens of MMOs that already have those things.

I big part of what attracts so many people to this game is its relatively unique commitment to avoiding restrictive content like 8-12 man dungeons. Even if a person can just “choose not to do the dungeons,” they still take valuable development resources to design, create, and implement that could be better spent on content that’s in line with the game’s original vision and selling points.

Well I am not demanding anything.. Lol.
I’m just saying I think people are over zealous with the “WoW clone” word.
I agree with you, they need to work on the original vision, and selling points of them, but this is strictly talking about down the road, and months/years later.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

if a game is released, people will instantly refer to it as a clone of a successful game of the same genre.

every hack ‘n slay = God of War clone (yes, the first Devil May Cry games too, according to such people)
any first person shooter = Call of Duty clone (what was half life and golden eye? some coktails? i don’t think so)
all mmorpg’s = World of Warcraft clones (anachy online, runescape, everquest or shall we go back even further to 1991 and mention the very first mmorpg “neverwinter nights”?)

if the wishes of those who instantly claim a game to be a clone of another one would be granted, every genre only would have one single game.

even popular game critic sites/magazines call other games clones of more successful ones of the same genre, regardless of how good such a game actually is.

it’s stupid… like internet trolls and haters…you can’t get rid of those people.
period.

GW2 have alot in common with WoW? you don’t say.
of course! it’s also a mmorpg :P

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

(edited by wauwi.9162)

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I read more than the title. You owe me 10 gold. :P

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

What, you’re expecting people to post reasonably and fair about WoW?

Good luck with that.

When discussing raids, since I assume that’s what this is about, many people are simply unable to separate their WoW experiences from the actual issue.

Only because WoW raids involved stuff like gear-treadmill, progression, raid-schedule, attendance, performance etc. doesn’t mean Guild Wars 2 raids have to.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: tonyl.5063

tonyl.5063

“WoW clone” is a really common cheap line to shoot down an idea without any real argument against it.

It’s true, there’s reasons that game has been sitting at the top for so long. A big part of it was that it had the Warcraft name behind it, which was a very successful series. From that point, Blizzard did one big thing right. They took input from the community, and the game has been molded around common trends of how the community plays the game, they address the common issues and arguments.

But back on topic. Every MMORPG is basically the same. It’s the result of the evolution of D&D, and the evolution of MUDs, put into a graphic game. GW2 basically has the same classes, just named differently, and gutted before they’re combined into the classes you see in this game.

Where GW2 has a headache is the same place a lot of MMORPGs have when they first release. There’s a community looking for a specific game. But the success of these games depend on doing what the bulk of the community is looking for. And then we fight. One side gets attacked for wanting a WoW clone, when really they enjoy the idea of this game, they just want those other options available. Then the other side gets attacked for being stubborn, when really it’s just a difference in opinion on what direction the game should take.

And then, there ARE the actual WoW clones out there. That’s really not a bad idea though. WoW is one of the most successful computer games ever made, clearly they’re doing something right. Why not start with that and improve on it?

WoW Clone.

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

your up to 30 g

Why the wow hostility? Because people who played gw1 and fell in love with the manifesto of GW2 see a flood of bored wow players joining the game then trying to turn it into what they left wow has this wow had that fine play wow.
Gw2 is a different game which had a different philosophy.

What they fear is vocal group demanding change of the game in directions they dont like by a group of people that will then say its just a wow clone and leave for the next game of the month, fear tends to bring out the worst in people.

Ulfar SOR

WoW Clone.

Strikerjolt.5910

@wauwi. Neverwinter nights was an MMORPG? o.o.
I thought it was just a rpg.. I own it, and I usually play offline.

@Dee Jay.
Well I am not talking about raids, but I am just generally talking about anything about other games. I just think because another game may it be WoW, Everquest, Runescape, Whatever. That doesn’t mean Arenanet can’t do it to, and make it better.

“When discussing raids, since I assume that’s what this is about, many people are simply unable to separate their WoW experiences from the actual issue.

Only because WoW raids involved stuff like gear-treadmill, progression, raid-schedule, attendance, performance etc. doesn’t mean Guild Wars 2 raids have to."

This is extremely good point!
And.. once again though. GW2 is like WoW, because you grind their dungeons for tokens to buy gear. WOO! It’s so different from WoW though!

I will say that Dungeons in this game doesn’t take you long to do, and doesn’t take long to get tokens, but it’s still the same concept. You’re still grinding a content over, and over to get tokens to buy gear. Thought it does take a lot less time.

(edited by Strikerjolt.5910)

WoW Clone.

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

@wauwi. Neverwinter nights was an MMORPG? o.o.
I thought it was just a rpg.. I own it, and I usually play offline.

the first one was.
1991…where the world just got rid of the “wooden age” of video game technology and everything was pixels

thank you internet, for giving me such epic knowledge

off topic: i should try out neverwinter nights (the one you meant)…i have it lying around somewhere but never played it O.O

oh and here’s a screenshot of 1991’s neverwinter nights:

Attachments:

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

I don’t mind it if a studio decides to do something and references to other games after they first brainstorm their own ways of doing something… but the “ kitten this game did it, how can we do it better” is kittening kitten and anyone that thinks that way should be burned at the stake…

Come up with your own ideas first, then see if others have done it and make sure to not repeat their mistakes; not the kitten other way around.

(edited by Sollith.3502)

WoW Clone.

Strikerjolt.5910

I don’t understand the forums.. They seem to copy my sentences over, and over, but when I go to edit the.. The sentences aren’t there?

WoW Clone.

Strikerjolt.5910

I don’t mind it if a studio decides to do something and references to other games after they first brainstorm their own ways of doing something… but the kitten this game did it, how can we do it better" is kittening kitten and anyone that thinks that way should be burned at the stake…

Come up with your own ideas first, then see if others have done it and make sure to not repeat their mistakes; not the kitten other way around.

Let me re-write what I was trying to say.

First of all. We’re in a generation where nothing is really new anymore, and new ideas are becoming less, and less.

Do you think GW2 was the first game to have DE events? Well it’s not.
GW2 has plenty of things stolen from other games, and just re-did them, and most of the time made them worse. (Dungeons, PVE, Creature AI, even now the PVP system since they stated they aren’t going to change it.)

GW2 is a good WoW clone as it is, (And WoW is a good Everquest clone) and it really doesn’t have anything new to it to begin with. Dodge mechanics? Rofl! Dodge mechanics have been in games for a long time.

“Come up with your own ideas first, then see if others have done it and make sure to not repeat their mistakes; not the kitten other way around.”

You’re still taking the business model that I said. If you come up with an idea on your own, and if some one else did it, and failed. Then don’t repeat the same mistakes.

You’re still doing what you said you hated.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

I don’t mind it if a studio decides to do something and references to other games after they first brainstorm their own ways of doing something… but the kitten this game did it, how can we do it better" is kittening kitten and anyone that thinks that way should be burned at the stake…

First of all. We’re in a generation where nothing is really new anymore, and new ideas are becoming less, and less.

GW2 has plenty of things stolen from other games, and just re-did them, and most of the time made them worse. (Dungeons, PVE, Creature AI, even now the PVP system since they stated they aren’t going to change it.)

GW2 is a good WoW clone as it is, (And WoW is a good Everquest clone) and it really doesn’t have anything new to it to begin with. Dodge mechanics? Rofl! Dodge mechanics have been in games for a long time.

“Come up with your own ideas first, then see if others have done it and make sure to not repeat their mistakes; not the kitten other way around.”

You’re still taking the business model that I said. If you come up with an idea on your own, and if some one else did it, and failed. Then don’t repeat the same mistakes.

in 1990, the guys with ideas (nerds) ascended in prominence and for the first time in hundreds of years, many corporations became meritocratic.

Entertainment became freaking amazing, almost everything to hit consumer eyes between 1994 and 2001 had depth unseen from the time of electronics to that point, and unseen since that time.

Then there was a massive cultural backlash followed by unmitigated greed.

The writer geeks responsible for the amazing plots went on strike from not being paid their “work for hire” pittance of a couple hundred k (while the execs made millions in percent royalties), and then were all summarily fired and replaced with idiots who pushed what we have now.

Anything decent in the video space (be it movies, tv shows, or video games), gets gutted and handed to us half-baked.

If you want anything good, you’ll have to reach to british or japanese shores. I hear they still do decent titles, but definitely not in the MMO segment. You’ll want offline or single player.

Then you have our generation, which has amazing creative capacity and 50% unemployment.

if you skim the profession sub-forums, you will find at least 20% of the suggestion or brainstorming posts provide better, more balanced, more targeted decisions than ANet’s team. Good luck getting them to step off their podium to admit it through, and good luck getting hired, because creative people “rock the boat” too much!

WoW Clone.

Strikerjolt.5910

in 1990, the guys with ideas (nerds) ascended in prominence and for the first time in hundreds of years, many corporations became meritocratic.

Entertainment became freaking amazing, almost everything to hit consumer eyes between 1994 and 2001 had depth unseen from the time of electronics to that point, and unseen since that time.

Then there was a massive cultural backlash followed by unmitigated greed.

The writer geeks responsible for the amazing plots went on strike from not being paid their “work for hire” pittance of a couple hundred k (while the execs made millions in percent royalties), and then were all summarily fired and replaced with idiots who pushed what we have now.

Anything decent in the video space (be it movies, tv shows, or video games), gets gutted and handed to us half-baked.

If you want anything good, you’ll have to reach to british or japanese shores. I hear they still do decent titles, but definitely not in the MMO segment. You’ll want offline or single player.

Then you have our generation, which has amazing creative capacity and 50% unemployment.

if you skim the profession sub-forums, you will find at least 20% of the suggestion or brainstorming posts provide better, more balanced, more targeted decisions than ANet’s team. Good luck getting them to step off their podium to admit it through, and good luck getting hired, because creative people “rock the boat” too much!

I can step off my podium to admit that. A lot of people on these forums have way better solutions, and better ideas than what Arenanet has been pulling lately.
How long has the community been crying for a different PVP style match, and they flat out gave us the middle finger about it? Heh.

But even STILL the people who are suggesting some of stuff has been done in other games.

As for japanese titles, and such. Really? Then I wish I could understand their language more. I really enjoyed Kingdom Hearts, but that’s the only JRPG I ever played.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Senryi.4897

Senryi.4897

I can’t say “GW2 is a WoW clone”. I can’t that would involve cognitive dissonance, and that usually ends with a bottle of very strong alcohol and a iguana…

Any way the main reason I can’t call GW2 a WoW clone is because a “clone” is an exact copy of the original with no addition added on. It is the exact same. The archetype for MMOs has stayed the same ever since the genre was conceived. “Hey guys, what if we were able to have D&D night with a whole lot of people, like 50?” At which point their friends would laugh at them and then resume playing D&D.

There are mechanics in GW2 that are just plain different form WoW. One of the main ones the OP dismissed so readily was the dodge mechanic.

Now, I would define “gimmick” as an added on feature to add fluff to the game to make it more appealing. This mechanic is central to the combat in the game. Removing this “gimmick” would change the combat dramatically.

Even with the dodge mechanic removed there would still me other design decisions that would separate GW2 from WoW. The most obvious (to most players) is the absence of a structural “holy trinity” system. That is a system wherein all classes can be defined into one of three roles: healer, tank, and damage dealer.

Going from there the next mechanic to differ from WoW would be that the players have no direct control over enmity (monster hate/threat). There are no taunts, and there are no “aggro resets”.

I could go on to talk about how certain weapons hit multiple enemies on a “normal” swing, how ArenaNet changed questing to make it feel more organic, to incentivize (Chrome says this is spelled wrong, BUT I copy-pasted it from Merriam-Webster just to be safe) exploration, to have a more engaging story, to change gear to that the majority of players can attain the highest tier (it has been said in a Reddit AMA that they plan to add Ascended gear to other parts of the game aside from Fractals), and how just freaking fluffy the female charr’s tails are… Er, what?

I would agree that GW2 is a good descendant of WoW, as WoW is a good descendant of EQ.

Edit: and where my 10 gold?!

(edited by Senryi.4897)

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I can step off my podium to admit that. A lot of people on these forums have way better solutions, and better ideas than what Arenanet has been pulling lately.
How long has the community been crying for a different PVP style match, and they flat out gave us the middle finger about it? Heh.

But even STILL the people who are suggesting some of stuff has been done in other games.

As for japanese titles, and such. Really? Then I wish I could understand their language more. I really enjoyed Kingdom Hearts, but that’s the only JRPG I ever played.

As far as PvP goes, they have been playtesting different modes, including CTF and deathmatch. That does not mean they will make it into the game, or that it will be in a traditional form. They are fleshing out what they want to add to PvP.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

Take out the dodge gimmick, and what’s the real difference between WoW combat, and GW2 combat?

-Combo system
-There are no castbars, you have to judge when to avoid damage purely by looking at your opponents animations.
-Every class has a heal
-More fluid combat (Most abilities can be cast whilst moving, You can use skills outside of combat and when you haven’t targetted something etc)
-Weapon swapping/skillsets with different weapons
-Each class has their own mechanic.
-Very few high CD skills, Elites are usually the only high CD skill.

Probably missed something else, but yeah, there are a lot of differences…

And I mostly disagree with what you’re saying about the games being similar, or at least, this game is FAR from a “clone” of WoW, sure they’re similar types of MMOs, but there are some huge differences, one being how GW2 is mostly horizontal progression, whereas WoW is pretty much all vertical.

But I understand what you’re trying to stay, I believe some large scale hardcore PvE content would be great for the game, but most people (Or at least the more vocal people on the forums) would just shun the idea, saying “We don’t want this game to have a gear treadmill”, assuming that a game with raid-style content has to come along with gear progression, just because WoW had it like that.

WoW Clone.

plasmacutter.2709

-Combo system
-There are no castbars, you have to judge when to avoid damage purely by looking at your opponents animations.
-Every class has a heal
-More fluid combat (Most abilities can be cast whilst moving, You can use skills outside of combat and when you haven’t targetted something etc)
-Weapon swapping/skillsets with different weapons
-Each class has their own mechanic.
-Very few high CD skills, Elites are usually the only high CD skill.

Probably missed something else, but yeah, there are a lot of differences…

And I mostly disagree with what you’re saying about the games being similar, or at least, this game is FAR from a “clone” of WoW, sure they’re similar types of MMOs, but there are some huge differences, one being how GW2 is mostly horizontal progression, whereas WoW is pretty much all vertical.

But I understand what you’re trying to stay, I believe some large scale hardcore PvE content would be great for the game, but most people (Or at least the more vocal people on the forums) would just shun the idea, saying “We don’t want this game to have a gear treadmill”, assuming that a game with raid-style content has to come along with gear progression, just because WoW had it like that.

Dragons demonstrate the scaling of mechanics to a high level need to be adjusted.

You can’t just “up the damage” on current dragon mechanics, because people would just be randomly one-shot.

And at their current damage and animation levels, dragons are simply not a real threat.

It’s like fighting a brick wall that occasionally roars and has burning debris near it.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Really? You gonna go there? Still saying Guild Wars 2 is a wow clone.. Everyone one of you who state that needs your head examined… It doesn’t act like wow nor does it play like wow and no it isn’t similar.. The only thing GW2 has in common with wow is it’s a mmorpg.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Here’s some things WoW did wrong.
*Creating a huge gear treadmill.
*New content only access-able to the hardcore players who have played the game for years.
*Gate old content, too few players in low mid level zones.

While GW2 has
*level scaling, keeps old content relevant.
*Highest level easy to reach. This ensures new content can be enjoyed by all.
*a dynamic world that I think Anet well improve on.

WoW Clone.

plasmacutter.2709

*New content only access-able to the hardcore players who have played the game for years.

While GW2 has

Items missing from the list:

-watering-down of unique roles
-the destruction of the support role (which allowed people who suck at DPS to still raid with their friends if they knew how to take orders)
-the philosophy of “homogenization” which turned everyone into a generic “melee, ranged, tank, or healer — now with slightly different names to their abilities!”

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

While GW2 has

Items missing from the list:

-watering-down of unique roles
-the destruction of the support role (which allowed people who suck at DPS to still raid with their friends if they knew how to take orders)
-the philosophy of “homogenization” which turned everyone into a generic “melee, ranged, tank, or healer — now with slightly different names to their abilities!”

Raids might be in the new guild missions in the open world. When it comes out later this year.

But, I like it that there is no need for a healer. And the idea of a traditional tank is stupid.

There is support in the game but players are not rewarded for it yet. The support role could be improved through new non-healing skills.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Somewhat agree OP, I hate when people draws comparisons with WoW.
I don’t hear people making tricycles comparison when we talk about cars, same should apply to WoW and GW2.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

They need copy GW1 not WoW. There was much better ideas then Blizz even imagine.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

WoW Clone.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I bet 10 gold that some people are going to read the title, and that’s it.

Can we stop dropping the WoW clone on every single idea that’s close related to WoW?
Just because another game has done something doesn’t mean GW2 can’t do it.

Actually … GW2 can’t just plainly copy WoW. WoW already exists, cloning it is a bad idea. Other games tried and they invariably failed. As such, steering clear of WoW is the only possible way to have a healthy competitor on the market.

WoW was the best MMORPG for a long, long time for a reason. They had great ideas, and sadly it seems like Blizzard is killing WoW in favor of their new game Titan.

Wrong. It was the most popular game, but that doesn’t mean it’s the best. Your logic means McDonald’s and Coca-Cola is the best food in the world. Yet a lot of people dislike it because it’s very much the worst.

For starters … you can move while casting spells. Second, skills require skill and intelligence to use properly, not merely a rotation and gear. Third, dodge IS in the game, it’s not a gimmick and it makes a huge difference.

So while we can obviously learn from WoW for the better, don’t forget we can also learn for the worst. WoW isn’t universally good, neither is it completely bad. But in case of doubt … avoid it and make sure GW2 keeps it’s unique selling point.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

(edited by marnick.4305)

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Everything.

WoW combat…
- has long TTK to cater to noobs with reaction times of a dead goat, GW2 needs a you to be on your toes.
- is entirely about outDPSing heals, GW2 manages heal in a much more advanced and realistic way that doesn’t make the game a battle against healers.
- is terribly RNG-based (procs, chance on skill, triggers, chance to debuff), GW2 is reaction/skill based.
- is all about pre-calculated, passive dodges/blocks where the character plays for you instead of having the player dodge by reflexes like GW2.
- lacks GTAoE depth, GW2 goes very deep with them.
- has management of “aggro threat” for a lack of letting player skills decide if a player can survive a mob.
- has classes that cannot beat some other classes in a rock-paper-scissor system, in GW2 anyone can beat anyone if more skilled on any class.
- has a lot less condition removal, making players unable to counter them
- has very little CC prevention/removal, making combat revolve around removing control of people’s char to beat them
- has classes pidgeon-holed in one role.
- has no cross-class combo moves at all.
- has no downed state which removes death depth completely.
- only specific classes can resurrect.
…and I probably forgot a dozen more.

As I just showed you, if you genuinely state that GW2 combat is = WoW combat with dodge it means you completely ignore both games’ combat systems.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

As far as the WoW combat system goes it can be summarized because of 1 mechanic:

Global Cooldown or GCD.

Every skill leads to a global cooldown of 1.5 seconds (except rogue which has 1.0s). This effectively means you have 1.5 seconds to think over the next action you’re going to take. That’s a lot of time, for most serious gamers it’s far too much. At an effective 40APM (actions per minute) it is one of the most boring games on the market because of the GCD.

If you compare to StarCraft and Diablo 2, two brilliant games by Blizzard, you see that a good StarCraft player has 150++APM while any half decent Diablo 2 player doesn’t stop clicking for half a second. These games are a lot of fun, interesting to watch and need intelligence to play.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

I read your post. Can I have my 10 gold now please?

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

I read everything? 10gold plz kaytksbye

WoW Clone.

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Still waiting on my 10g, nothing comes up in mail.
Scam?

1+1 = potato

WoW Clone.

plasmacutter.2709

As far as the WoW combat system goes it can be summarized because of 1 mechanic:

Global Cooldown or GCD.

Every skill leads to a global cooldown of 1.5 seconds (except rogue which has 1.0s). This effectively means you have 1.5 seconds to think over the next action you’re going to take. That’s a lot of time, for most serious gamers it’s far too much. At an effective 40APM (actions per minute) it is one of the most boring games on the market because of the GCD.

If you compare to StarCraft and Diablo 2, two brilliant games by Blizzard, you see that a good StarCraft player has 150++APM while any half decent Diablo 2 player doesn’t stop clicking for half a second. These games are a lot of fun, interesting to watch and need intelligence to play.

please tell me how ridiculous twitch is “intelligence”.

Rapid decision-making does not equate to intelligence, it equates to recklessness and is directly discriminative against specific personality types and approaches to thought.

It’s not to say i’m knocking the removal of the GCD, but saying high APM= intelligent play is simply not true. (The GCD is still there, btw, you can’t perform two actions at once on the D/D Ele set, I’ve tried lightning touch + shocking aura at the same time and it simply does not work).

It’s a reflection on coordination, muscle memory, and how much jolt you’ve consumed, nothing more.

WoW Clone.

Posted by: CC Charles.3675

CC Charles.3675

Community Coordinator

Hello everyone,

Even if the topic of this thread could have been constructive, we’ll now close it as this thread is derailing into off topic discussions.

Also, we would like to remind you that the comparison between GW2 and other games is accepted as long as it’s to support your opinion or argumentation. However, opening a thread dedicated to this kind of comparisons has to be avoided as most of the time it derails into off topic, unconstructive exchanges etc…

Thanks!