Work Off Death Penalty like GW1

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Michael Conrad.6704

Michael Conrad.6704

How about being able to work off your death penalty a la GW1 ? Beats paying 1+ silver

(edited by Michael Conrad.6704)

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

huh?

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Michael Conrad.6704

in other words, if you die, you go to the way point and your death penalty is diminished gradually as you keep playing successfully without dying. I liked that feature in Guild Wars 1

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

eh

the cost to repair armor is ridiculously small and you only suffer missing stats from gear after your eighth death

seems like way too minor a “problem” to be bugging the devs about when they already have a long list of serious issues to sort out

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Death Penalty and Armor Repair are not the same thing.

GW2 does have death penalty, although it’s called ‘downed’ penalty now, and it does wear off over time as long as you stay up.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_penalty

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Michael Conrad.6704

Excuse me for not being more precise. I refer to the armor repair which occurs when one is “killed”. I want to distinguish between that and the sort of “downed penalty” incurred upon, for example, falling from a distance that confers death upon a player. I am aware that this sort of penalty does indeed wear off.

Michael Conrad.6704

I don’t know, maybe I whine too much about small fees that tend to add up for me at least. The armor repair fee, the waypoint transfer fee, the trait reassignment fee, the TP listing fee etc..

I so wish we could speculate and actually make a little money in the market (buying low, selling high) if the gold and gems were truly equivalent. They are not and that makes the market data almost superfluous. Its pretty to look at but virtually meaningless…..the exchange rate that is.

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

Death penalty would be a good idea, i think, but they should remove the downed-state,

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

There’s a lot of ways to make money in the trading post, but the gem/gold exchange is intentionally not one of those ways.

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Most players dislike death penalties hence these being reduced/removed from MMOs as time has progressed.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

I wish ppl would stop trying to get rid of the ‘downed state’ in GW2. It’s unique & works well with many aspects of this game, leave it alone.

Naz ©

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

I wish ppl would stop trying to get rid of the ‘downed state’ in GW2. It’s unique & works well with many aspects of this game, leave it alone.

Unless you are an Engi.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

engi downed state is awesome.

And if you can work off the armour repair – play the game. Look you have silver now.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

Gold is so easy to make in this game. The repair bill is trivial. Stop dying so much.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Dodge more.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually there is a death penalty in this game, and you do work it off. It’s not damaged armor though.

It’s that little arrow every time you die that appears in the health orb. The more you die, the darker it gets. You get less and less time in the downed state. Eventually, if the arrow turns red, you skip the downed state and die immediately.

That death penalty does fade if you don’t get downed again. It’s an attrition mechanic to stop people from doing stuff that’s too hard for them.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

They could make it so that you repair armour with salvaged mat’s that amount to the repair bill just so you don’t have to traipse all the way back to an armour repair guy to fix it. Christ, if some players have maxed armoursmithing I’m sure this isn’t outside the realms of the impossible, that they could fix their own armour on the move.

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I don’t know, maybe I whine too much

The problem has been identified!!!

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

I miss the death penalty system from Guild Wars 1.

Yes the penalty was felt and it was a real punishment, but it helped kick-start motivation to actually improve your skills as a player.

Armor damage seems to have not had this effect, judging from the fact that many people who play the game are to be really blunt; supremely unskilled, and this doesn’t seem to be changing.

OF course the original game was far more structured though, from combat to enemy placement. So yeah whilst I do miss Death Penalty, it doesn’t fit here as well as it should.

\o/

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

The Death Penalty from GW1 is one of the features i’d prefer if they remained exclusive to GW1. I still play GW1 almost daily, if only to add more HoM rewards to GW2, and I am definitely not missing that part of the game.

..at all.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: TheGaryTh.1649

TheGaryTh.1649

I miss the death penalty system from Guild Wars 1.

Yes the penalty was felt and it was a real punishment, but it helped kick-start motivation to actually improve your skills as a player.

Armor damage seems to have not had this effect, judging from the fact that many people who play the game are to be really blunt; supremely unskilled, and this doesn’t seem to be changing.

OF course the original game was far more structured though, from combat to enemy placement. So yeah whilst I do miss Death Penalty, it doesn’t fit here as well as it should.

I felt the GW1’s death penalty was pretty ridiculous and tended to snowball out of control until you has a 60% penalty and had to use consumables to lower it or having to restart a mission if you did not have enough energy/survivability to complete it.

For me the the death penalty just encouraged more passive play by agroing 1 mob party at a time only to sit behind heroes and henchies and let them kill/be killed so I could complete missions.

GW1 is a totally different game from GW2 and I think it should stay this way.