World Completion On Full or High Pop Servers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

I have to say I have eagerly awaited this game since the rumors start back in GW1. I love to play PvE and enjoy it immensely. I also enjoy the occasional sPvP. There’s significantly more end-game content in GW2 than WoW had its outset, and so I find myself quite busy at level 80.

So I took it upon myself to do world completion. Right now I’m sitting at 93% completion, despite having completed the whole PvE map.

What’s the other 7% completion? World versus world.

And this is the one thing where I find major fault with the game. I hate playing WvW. It doesn’t have the same kind of small-squad tactics as SPVP or pure skill of a duel. It is, in a sense, a gankfest where armies try to purely outnumber each other to take over areas.

But that’s my personal opinion about WvW. My real problem stems from the fact that 92-93% of the world completion is PvE, which is an entirely different dynamic than WvW (a specialized PvP). Add on top of that the fact that my server is very high population, and thus I’m lucky if I can even get into WvW in two hours to hopefully complete a few vistas/points of interest before getting ganked.

To me this is a case where, quite literally, 10% of the game is ruining the other 90% of the game. I don’t have fun in WvW. I hate waiting for it. I hate being ganked in it. Nowhere does the game tell you you have to do WvW to get completion — I had to figure that out via some internet searching. The play dynamic is entirely different — I find myself being forced to capture objectives in order to get vistas and points, rather than being able to run through or do a small tactical strike. And that’s if I can even get into WvW, considering the full queues.

TL;DR — Why the hell is WvW required for map completion? Whose genius idea was that?

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

Posted by: Don Muerte.7168

Don Muerte.7168

The WvW map is quite diverse and beautiful to explore and there are skill points and other things available in it. Chances are you can do most of it without running into any enemies. The biggest problem is the spots you need to get to that are controlled by the other sides. With the matchups changing every day, it should be doable, but once they become 2 weeks it’ll most certainly become difficult for people to rush through world completions like they did.

Posted by: Devilmore.2139

Devilmore.2139

I agree, WvW should not be part of World Completion. There should be an extra PvP Map completion achievement for that.
Technically the Mists aren’t even part of the world to begin with.

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

Well, what I ended up doing was taking advantage of the instantaneous and (currently) free world transfer function — If an area was possessed by an enemy server, I just swapped to their server and explored the area.

A little underhanded of a way of circumventing the issue, but I did it mostly out of desperation.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

Posted by: Mog.1589

Mog.1589

I agree, WvW should not be part of World Completion. There should be an extra PvP Map completion achievement for that.
Technically the Mists aren’t even part of the world to begin with.

^ This, the WvW map should be separate from the PvE Map. Make it have it’s own achievement and reward that is PvP appropriate.

[LGN] Legion For We Are Many – a Blackgate guild

Posted by: Pannadharo.2948

Pannadharo.2948

This is extremely disenhartening … I was wondering why I had only 93% completion. Even teleported into each map just to check that I had them all.

Vagrant.7206, I’ve not been in any WvW instances yet. And if I did, would not engage in attacking another player. How do you tell what world (server) has control of what section? Is is pretty evident from map-view or some other mechanism?

Posted by: Taerik.3405

Taerik.3405

The only map ive ever felt had ridiculous Queue times is eternal

Mapping wvwvw is easy if you dont want to fight. Check the map, see what places your server owns. Map the castle/keeps/towers first, as you need to own them to get the point, so if your server has those get them right away. Camps you can just run through.

In 30 minutes, i fully explored 1 map, and got more than 50% on the other 3 without having to fight anything, I’ll wait a few days, try the other maps again, and then when the servers reset Ill try again then too.

Although I enjoy wvw when friends are online.

Posted by: jonas.7692

jonas.7692

There is a much larger issue here that no one has addressed, yet. By making WvWvW maps mandatory for World Completion we have, at any given time, people inside the map who do not want to PvP. Who are not there as part of a team. Who do not contribute. And, yet, take a slot in the queue and on the map.

Posted by: Taerik.3405

Taerik.3405

I agree it sucks that they take up a spot in the queue, but they leave when they are done, its not like they go afk, or troll the server and hide in a keep and refuse to fight.