World Completion Trasnfer?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Luclinraider.2317

Luclinraider.2317

Hey guys!

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

I have 5 Character max level and a few others just hanging out. Are there any plans to make World Completion transferable to other characters? It already unlocks the account trophy. Something as simple as, if you have that account trophy, go to an NPC in LA, talk to them and pay a fee, 10g, 20g, whatever, and it instantly gives map completion for that character as well, without giving any of the items like Gift of Exploration.

That way if you want the gift to make another Legend you can go ahead and do it. But if you just want to have your way-points on your new character, you’ve already explored the whole world….why should you be forced to do it again just to play the character you want. All the current system does is force you to play a character you don’t particularity want to…or forces you to explore the whole world again.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

If it’s just the waypoints you want, those aren’t exactly hard to pick up. I went through the world on a completely new character a few weeks ago, just going through maps and picking up every single waypoint there is in the open world, and it took me less than 10 hours. Just picking up the “important” ones (world bosses and dungeon entrances mostly) takes a fraction of that time. Just go straight for the waypoints you need, and you’ll have it over with in no time.

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

I certainly hope there’s no plans for this. Getting the waypoints are easy enough as it is. There’s no need to spoon-feed players who are already level 80 with even MORE ways to get things easier than they’ve already worked for.

It is not hard to get waypoints – at all. It’s even quite profitable if you go around and gather everything you see while grabbing them. Not talking map completion, just gathering what you see as you travel.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Having done map completion on 6 (I think) characters at this point, I must disagree.

Not only do you get to experience new players while out doing the map plus have the ability to forage for tons of mats, you also get the occasional black lion key for map completion. The chance is apx 30% per map to get a key, but I have gotten quite the few myself and even though many find map completion boring it does lend to the fact that you are legendary and should not be skip-able IMO.

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I agree, I think once you hit level 80 waypoints and maps should be account bound opened.

However,This should not include vistas, hearts, points of interest. Those should be for map completion to get the gifts of exploration.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Nah.

It cheapens the reward and turns it from a time sink commodity to something people can just buy with coin easily. I don’t dig the retro-active cheapening of effort in order to garner reward.

They already took WvW out, and that was the most annoying part.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

SHM.7628

Nah.

It cheapens the reward and turns it from a time sink commodity to something people can just buy with coin easily. I don’t dig the retro-active cheapening of effort in order to garner reward.

They already took WvW out, and that was the most annoying part.

I disagree, there’s still a lot to do getting all the hearts, poi’s, and vistas. (You’ll still be all over the map) That’s plenty to unlock for the reward. The rest of it’s just needless grind. Especially true if you aren’t going for the gift of exploration/achievement. Plus, the XP are pretty meaningless once you hit 80.

(edited by SHM.7628)

SHM.7628

Having done map completion on 6 (I think) characters at this point, I must disagree.

Not only do you get to experience new players while out doing the map plus have the ability to forage for tons of mats, you also get the occasional black lion key for map completion. The chance is apx 30% per map to get a key, but I have gotten quite the few myself and even though many find map completion boring it does lend to the fact that you are legendary and should not be skip-able IMO.

They can just open the map and waypoints previously opened when you hit max level. Map completion would stay in tact minus a lot of the repeated grind.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

They can just open the map and waypoints previously opened when you hit max level. Map completion would stay in tact minus a lot of the repeated grind.

They “could”, but exploration means having to explore all the map(s) and, to me, it would defeat the purpose. If it were a switch I could care less, but I personally would keep it turned off.

SHM.7628

They “could”, but exploration means having to explore all the map(s) and, to me, it would defeat the purpose. If it were a switch I could care less, but I personally would keep it turned off.

Ok, I respect that opinion. Grind is subjective I guess. Perhaps you play more hours than I do too. (very likely)

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

It’ll never happen because having to do world completion on each toon adds “content” to the game. It’s just a way to keep you playing the game.

SHM.7628

It’ll never happen because having to do world completion on each toon adds “content” to the game. It’s just a way to keep you playing the game.

I think your confusing grind with content. If you want to repeatedly grind it for the gifts of exploration then fine. Just saying, that is not content. It’s even more meaningless once you unlock the world achievement.

(edited by SHM.7628)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I think your confusing grind with content. If you want to repeatedly grind it for the gifts of exploration then fine. Just saying, that is not content.

It’s not the exploration. There’s a really big amount of rewards for completing world map, if you add up all the rewards from individual map completion. Unlocking all waypoints would cut the work by a significant percent (by making you able to move easier, for one).
Of course, Anet might have created an option of unlocking all maps while at the same time forgoing any and all rewards from completion, but you can bet it would result in a ton of people every month writing complains to support, because they changed their mind after some time (or who didn’t read the message and as a result got surprised by losing access to those rewards).

And since it’s only useful to those that create a significant number of characters and play them all (or, to be more precise, to some of those people), i’m pretty sure the gain is simply not big enough to outweight all the problems it would create.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

SHM.7628

I think your confusing grind with content. If you want to repeatedly grind it for the gifts of exploration then fine. Just saying, that is not content.

It’s not the exploration. There’s a really big amount of rewards for completing world map, if you add up all the rewards from individual map completion. Unlocking all waypoints would cut the work by a significant percent (by making you able to move easier, for one).
Of course, Anet might have created an option of unlocking all maps while at the same time forgoing any and all rewards from completion, but you can bet it would result in a ton of people every month writing complains to support, because they changed their mind after some time (or who didn’t read the message and as a result got surprised by losing access to those rewards).

And since it’s only useful to those that create a significant number of characters and play them all (or, to be more precise, to some of those people), i’m pretty sure the gain is simply not big enough to outweight all the problems it would create.

" a really big amount of rewards" is probably overstated. (Other than the gifts of exploration) You might get fortunate enough to get a few black lion keys along the way but that is about it.

Still they can unlock the waypoints and leave everything else (poi’s, vistas, renown hearts) in tact for the achievement & rewards once you’ve dinged 80.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you unlock the waypoints on a char with an NPC or whatever then you forgo all the map rewards on that char. No Gifts of exploration. No map completion rewards. That would be fair. Asking to have map completion rewards as well as ez waypoint unlock is trying to have it both ways.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

I think your confusing grind with content. If you want to repeatedly grind it for the gifts of exploration then fine. Just saying, that is not content. It’s even more meaningless once you unlock the world achievement.

Content was in quotes to represent that I don’t call it content but that is how Anet sees it.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I support the OP’s idea: trade off gold + potential rewards + gift of exploration for convenience (all WPs unlocked). However, in practice, I imagine this is more trouble for ANet than it’s worth.

You know there will be dozens if not hundreds of players who will do this and then later, realize that they want the rewards. How, then, does ANet reverse the unlocks? Still others will claim that they only did this on Toons B, C, and D and for some reason E and F can’t get their map rewards.

In other words, the implementation is straightforward; the subsequent support and QA would not be. Easier just to leave things as they are: anyone who wants to unlock WPs can do so, by investing 15-20 minutes (unless they get distracted).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

It doesn’t take long to get key waypoints ie World Bosses and dungeons.
In one of the many threads about this same topic, some one tested this and it was less than 1hr to get key waypoints. Tested on a mesmer, one of the slowest professions (was before the recent swiftness/Signet tweak)

If this ever did make it to a dev meeting and Anet even wanted it implemented, I’d want this option to void the character from all rewards associated with map completion (Key/Transmute Charge/Heart Karma and Map completed chest in general) plus Gift of Exploration and your characters Nameplate Star. Permanently from that character.

Worth it? All that development time to think about too. I’m sure Anet can spend their time better than implementing this, to save you 1hrs gametime.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

Based on the responses, no.

Are there any plans to make World Completion transferable to other characters?

I can pretty much guarantee there aren’t any.

Something as simple as, if you have that account trophy, go to an NPC in LA, talk to them and pay a fee, 10g, 20g, whatever, and it instantly gives map completion for that character as well, without giving any of the items like Gift of Exploration.

At least you are accounting for the market.

All the current system does is force you to play a character you don’t particularity want to…or forces you to explore the whole world again.

This is a very correct observation and is by design. If your suggestion were made into reality, people would be able to play the game through with ONE character and open it up instantly for ALL characters. That translates to less time played, which EQUALS less income for Anet.

I like your thinking, but the net result is that it hurts Anet WAY more than the convenience is worth giving it’s customers in benefit. It’s like reducing the cost of weapon skins on the TP by increasing ticket drop rate…yeah, it makes it more enjoyable for many more players, but it means everyone would be walking around looking quite similar. Let’s face it, those Super Weapon skins and Fused Weapon skins are pretty much the best in the game, which is why they are astronomical in price.