World completion will never happen for me.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khang.6743

Khang.6743

I’ve been playing Guild Wars 2 for a long time. I’ve mostly only ever PvP’d. I want to craft my own legendary, but I just can’t bring myself to do world completion. I’m not complaining, by any stretch! I know its due to me being lazy. I love Guild Wars 2 and the new expansion has me real excited.

Anyone have some success stories for a big time procrastinator like me?

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Rob a bank > Buy Gems > Buy legendary

:-)

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Play the TP!

It’s not like you have anything better to do while you are waiting 3mins for queue to pop.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ve gotten 8 chars to 100%. ^^

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Not everyone has the time or desire to do that.
Gratz on your achievement though.

@ OP
If you take your time and just do a percentage of a map zone each time you log on, you will eventually get to full world completion. You need not do it all at once.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

(edited by Azhure.1857)

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

I can’t help motivating you because that’s something you gotta do for yourself. I’ll justtell you that it’s a great feeling to have your own crafted legendaries.

Here’s a MS Excel sheet that can help you with world completion (not mine, taken from reddit forum)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mYnNInL-6Keu_uVNIt_cY4B5JEr4SG1LtPwIkqUp83M/edit#gid=0

Taken from: htttp://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2xznmu/i_couldnt_find_a_good_tool_to_help_with_world/

Good luck.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Anyone have some success stories for a big time procrastinator like me?

If anyone could find success by doing nothing, we’d live in a much different world…

I recommend you keep working at map completion slowly. It’s not like you have to have it done today, or this week, or what have you… or do anything slowly, set some long-term goals and just do a little progress every day. That’s one of the major points of online games.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Just a flesh wound.3589

@ OP
If you take your time and just do a percentage of a map zone each time you log on, you will eventually get to full world completion. You need not do it all at once.

He asked for a success story. I gave him one.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

It’s really not that hard to do 100% world.

I very rarely do WvW (certainly do NOT have any WvW geared characters) but have gotten 2 to 100% so far and have a 3rd at about 95%.

Clearing zones is one of my Endgame things to do.

The Gifts of Exploration sit in my bank as I doubt I would ever go for a Legendary until I see a Precursor (and I’m not buying one or gambling for one, either).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

When I did world completion on my NA account, I had a goal of getting one vista, one waypoint, one PoI and one skillpoint every day. That did not take very much out of my day and often I got more done accidentally. If the area ran out of any of the variety, I had less “obligatory” exploring to do.

I did this with a completely new character starting at lvl 2. I did the capitals first and then all the starter areas. I also played the story if it was in the area. Having done that, my char was at lvl 32.

Then I moved to the next tier of areas and so on. I also kept my eye on WvW, so I could get new stuff completed when the server changed colour.

You have plenty of time to get this done. I bet even if you put 15 min a day to it, you’ll have the completion before HoT comes out.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I used to use a timer when it got really boring. I put it on either 15 or 30 minutes and did what I could in that amount of time. If I had gotten interested then I could continue, if not I left.

If you want to get 100% it’s important to start WvW early and try to get at least one thing on one map each day. If you put it off till the end then it can be really hard, especially if you have to wait weeks for the color to change to what you need.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i kittened about it some in guild chat and one of my frands linked me this and i was all like omg i love you.

i did everything but hearts on a pass through, then did all the hearts on a second pass. wasnt too stale (after doing map completion once about 2 years ago it got reallllllly old fast).

took a look at that spreadsheet… nahhhhh

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

1 – Get really good at PvP
2 – Win Tournament of Legends
3 – Get the Legendary you want
4 – ?
5 – Profit

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Ok, first of all, if you REALLY don’t like map completion, then don’t do it. It’s not worth it, there are other good-looking weapons in the game.

Like you, I mostly play pvp (and WvW), have leveled my first character in WvW (pre-EotM) and the next six with tomes of knowledge. However, sometimes, once every two weeks or so, when I feel like it, I do map completion on my main. After a year, I’m now at 84%, and map completion has never felt like a burden. You could probably do it a lot faster, if you enjoy it for longer periods of time.

I really enjoy my small expeditions in PvE, especially because of the dialogs and sceneries you have there. Usually, I play the burstiest build I can find (SP thief) because I don’t like fighting AI, turn off the UI, and enjoy the view. When the FP camera patch hits tonight, I plan to spend more time in PvE playing with it.

tldr: Find something you like in PvE (the scenery, the NPC dialogs), don’t overcommit to map completion and if you stop having fun, take a break immediately.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I can’t do many jumping puzzles and they count toward world completion still I think. Wish they were separate from world completion.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I’ve been playing Guild Wars 2 for a long time. I’ve mostly only ever PvP’d. I want to craft my own legendary, but I just can’t bring myself to do world completion.

Isn’t there a way to unlock legendaries by playing sPvP alone? Or was that one more promise that ArenaNet forgot about?

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

You can get world completion in about 10-15 hours of play.

• I go outside/perimeter then in, that way I don’t miss those weird reknown hearts that hide in caves.
  • Do events that help with the reknown heart, and don’t bother finishing them if you’ve completed your heart while its still in progress.
  • Hold the left ctrl while running around doing the reknown heart. Most hearts have 1-3 different ways of completing them, killing kitten isn’t always the fastest way.

In my opinion, map completion is the biggest/(only?) grind in the game. So I can understand your frustration or lack of enthusiasm towards it. It was fun the first time, when I was immersed in the story/lore of all things Tyria. But working on my 7th legendary and getting a 4th toon map completion isn’t fun anymore.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I can’t do many jumping puzzles and they count toward world completion still I think. Wish they were separate from world completion.

They are separate but at least one has a vista or skill point at the end so you have to do it to get to the world completion bits you need. Unless there’s a Mesmer offering a lift.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I’m going for my 4th run but rather than doing it all at once like I did with my 1st char, I’m doing it as I need transmute to charges xD

Posted by: vpchelko.4261

vpchelko.4261

@ OP

Its about 1 hour per location. You have just focus on it – easy done.
But one problem – WvW locations. One stupid things in ANET design.

(edited by vpchelko.4261)

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

It took me a couple of years to do world map completion. My secret…I never obsessed about it. I did mapping when I felt like it…and did other things when I did not. At some point along way I notice…“Hey…I am 97% complete.” After that, I paid more attention and scheduled my mapping so that I could finish up. What made it really work for me is that I was never in a hurry.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

When I want to get 100% map completion, but don’t really want to do it.. I try to commit myself to one map per day/play session. If not that, try to commit a certain amount of time per session (as said above already).

Run your character to every world boss, and do a world boss train a few times per week. Most of them have a good 20 minutes or more of time in between. For example, Jungle Wurm starts at 4:15 and Jormag starts at 4:30. Jungle Wurm pre are very quick and the whole event is done within 3-4 minutes. Jormag pre start at 4:30, but he doesn’t usually die until after 4:45… So you have 20-25 minutes to focus on completing Frostgorge, and at about 4:40 you can jump into the fight. You can do the same with Modniir Ulgoth in Harathi Hinterlands, pre events are quite long. You’d be surprised at what you can get done in 20 minutes. I’ve gotten Sparkly completed on so many characters while waiting for Tequatl. This, to me, is better to see than a bunch of AFK’ers waiting for everyone else to spawn the boss.

I know you say you like to mostly PvP, but if this is your goal you have to work at it a few times per week!