World transfers are too expensive.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Acension.9270

Acension.9270

Heya, i really want to transfer over to Desolation because i wasn’t able to change before the patch. When i looked at how much it would be, it was 1800 gems, that’s around about £25. Or, i have been told, 40 gold, this has really made me feel like i’m stuck in the world i am in and it has now really annoyed me.

I hope this doesn’t sound like a rant but i just dont no what to do????

Trolls :)

in Suggestions

Posted by: InFluEnZa.6908

InFluEnZa.6908

That’s what guesting is for. They made it expensive so PUGs are less likely to leave their world when they face a real challenge in WvW.

[DnT]Adi

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

That’s what guesting is for. They made it expensive so PUGs are less likely to leave their world when they face a real challenge in WvW.

i wanna join desolation so i can WvW with irl friends

in Suggestions

Posted by: noother.2190

noother.2190

Well your only option at this point is to pay the transfer fee.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

I think they’re just fine. Prevents mass migrations from occurring and completely screwing over WvW servers.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

Yeah but tbh i dont really wanna pay £25 just to change server, i mean seriously…..

in Suggestions

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Buying and using the gems is the only way now, unfortunately. You’ll have to spend the gold or use real money to transfer now ( and thats also only if you can find a spot in the destination server). The 1800 is only for transferring to high popuplation servers. its a lot less if you were transferring to a low pop server.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

They gave us 5 months of free and plenty of notice for the change to paid.

Why did you wait?

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

Why did you wait?

because my friends only just got the game, i was in a nice guild in whiteside ridge, then i left it and got invited to a desolation one, and then the patch happened the next day

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

Why did you wait?

because my friends only just got the game, i was in a nice guild in whiteside ridge, then i left it and got invited to a desolation one, and then the patch happened the next day

and it also didn’t help that the day the patch happened i wasn’t at home so i couldn’t go on it

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

You had like 3 weeks warning this was going to happen with the option to transfer for free.

Unfortunately I don’t think there is anything you can do but pay the transfer fee and make very sure that is the server you want to be on.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

in Suggestions

noother.2190

Yeah but tbh i dont really wanna pay £25 just to change server, i mean seriously…..

It’s not much different from any other MMO. You had months to change servers and plenty of notice that the fee was coming.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

gold to gems…ask for help in guild/friends, you dont need to pay, transfers are free…i mean literally. And if you think the conversion is too high…too bad for you, but transfers are free.

I took an arrow to the knee

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chaos.7231

Chaos.7231

If your friends just got the game, why didn’t they join your server?

Hardcore Casual [8 Level 80s – No Legendary]
80 R | 80 W | 80 G | 80 E | 80 M | 80 E | 80 N | 80 T
- Tarnished Coast Server

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Why did you wait?

and it also didn’t help that the day the patch happened i wasn’t at home so i couldn’t go on it

Well, that’s hardly on the onus of ANet. Why not use Guesting?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Can’t you just make a new character on this other server? Or do all of your characters have to be on the same server? What if you delete all of your characters and remake?

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

because they didnt

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

Can’t you just make a new character on this other server? Or do all of your characters have to be on the same server? What if you delete all of your characters and remake?

all characters are on all servers just you can only go on one server

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

Why did you wait?

Well, that’s hardly on the onus of ANet. Why not use Guesting?

I mentioned earlier i want to WvW

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chaos.7231

Chaos.7231

because they didnt

Well if they don’t want to play with you enough to warrant joining your server, maybe you’re best off staying where you are. It’ll save you a wedge after all.

Alternatively, pay the fee and stop complaining.

Hardcore Casual [8 Level 80s – No Legendary]
80 R | 80 W | 80 G | 80 E | 80 M | 80 E | 80 N | 80 T
- Tarnished Coast Server

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

because they didnt

Well if they don’t want to play with you enough to warrant joining your server, maybe you’re best off staying where you are. It’ll save you a wedge after all.

to bad they have other friends on deso and joined them and dont tell me to stop complaining, at first i was just asking for what i should do

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

Well, why not steadily save up gold to buy gems? Otherwise it’s a case of forking out the money.

Why not do a bit of both? Half gold half cash?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

i cant really do the gold thing, i have only ever gotten a character to 24, i find levelling slow, so i cant really get gold

in Suggestions

noother.2190

because they didnt

to bad they have other friends on deso and joined them and dont tell me to stop complaining, at first i was just asking for what i should do

Everyone in this thread has already said your only option to play WvW with your friends is to pay the transfer fee, regardless if you actually want to pay it or not.

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

i cant really do the gold thing, i have only ever gotten a character to 24, i find levelling slow, so i cant really get gold

Then you’ll have to pay or wait until you can earn gold.

That’s all there is to it.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

For WvW purposes, you need to be on that server. I was curious how the above worked. Even though Fergs are awful, I’m content with the server I’m on for the time being. Would be nice to know I could make a character from scratch on another server if I wanted to though. Like if I found some long-lost guild I haven’t seen since my UO days or somehting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I think they’re just fine. Prevents mass migrations from occurring and completely screwing over WvW servers.

Not to mention griefers/scammers from easily fleeing the scene of the crime.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Beorn Raukar.4328

Beorn Raukar.4328

For WvW purposes, you need to be on that server. I was curious how the above worked. Even though Fergs are awful, I’m content with the server I’m on for the time being. Would be nice to know I could make a character from scratch on another server if I wanted to though. Like if I found some long-lost guild I haven’t seen since my UO days or somehting.

You can’t make a new character in another server. In GW2 it is your account that has a home server, not any of your characters. Meaning, even if you delete all your characters and start fresh your account has the same home server. I would not recommend doing this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

You had plenty of time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tengu.4209

Tengu.4209

Ignoring the time you had to transfer for free…

I’d “Guest” over to their world and just go crazy in Orr and attempt to gain as much gold as you could. Hell, even getting then converting 10-20g wouldn’t take more then a week to do, if your friends can help with the cost then thats even less. Pool your money for the sake of the group.

Devona’s Rest – [Tsuk]
Ajini – Thief – Commander

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Heya, i really want to transfer over to Desolation because i wasn’t able to change before the patch. When i looked at how much it would be, it was 1800 gems, that’s around about £25. Or, i have been told, 40 gold, this has really made me feel like i’m stuck in the world i am in and it has now really annoyed me.

Its been free since the game rolled out in August?

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

You had plenty of time.

Read what i have said in other replies, then u’ll see

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

Its been free since the game rolled out in August?

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

Ignoring the time you had to transfer for free…

I’d “Guest” over to their world and just go crazy in Orr and attempt to gain as much gold as you could. Hell, even getting then converting 10-20g wouldn’t take more then a week to do, if your friends can help with the cost then thats even less. Pool your money for the sake of the group.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

You could contact ANet customer service and see if they will make a very special exception for you.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wasabee.5031

Wasabee.5031

IMO, transferring to different server in GW2 is very generous and not expensive.
1. You can convert gold to gem (you don’t have to spend real money for it as in any other games)
2. It transfers the WHOLE account not single character as any other games (taking WoW, $20 per character x 5 characters)
3. You have guesting option while with other games you will have to start from ground zero with fresh character on new server (if not paying to transfer)

Cheers,

in Suggestions

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

because they didnt

Since they forced your hand, maybe you can see if they’d all be willing to pitch a gold or two towards your transfer.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

$25 is a pretty standard realm transfer fee for MMOs. The “other game” has been charging this for years and no one has complained about it.

ANet should have charged $25 out of the gate and been done with it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

That’s tough but they gave so much advance notice that it messed up balance of WvW matchings. I mean how much more notice can you get?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frellin.6318

Frellin.6318

While I understand your pain the fault lies with your friends. They chose a server you were not on and gave you no opportunity to switch to be with them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

Well you can thank the cheat guilds in WvW. Anet were quite happy for there to be free world transfers, but the cheat guilds used free transfers as a WvW ranking exploit, so free transfers had to end.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Looks like on January 16th, ArenaNet put a message up on the launcher explaining guesting. And when the game launched we were told: when guesting goes live, free transfers go away. So you had 11 to 12 days to find a new server from when they first announced that guesting was coming in the next patch. Not to mention, the post itself mentioned that free transfers were going away.

Could they have gone a step further and e-mailed players to get those who were too busy to load the launcher and log in, yes. But to put the blame solely on ANet isn’t fair. You had basically 12 days to find a new server from when ANet posted notice about it.

Ask your IRL friends to loan you some money? Ask them to chip in a few pounds each?

If you’re in a guild that’s primary location is on Desolation, ask them if they’d be willing to chip in the required gold. Or at least a decent chunk of it.

In a few levels you can start doing dungeons. Do dungeon runs via guesting with your RL friends so that you can coordinate better. Sell what you don’t need. Check Trading Post before vendering things. You might find you can get a decent profit on things.

If you aren’t in to crafting, Trading Post your collectables. Or Trading Post the collectables you don’t need.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Well you can thank the cheat guilds in WvW. Anet were quite happy for there to be free world transfers, but the cheat guilds used free transfers as a WvW ranking exploit, so free transfers had to end.

Actually transfers were never meant to be free at all. We only got free transfers because they couldn’t seem to work out guesting. Whether the behavior of certain players made getting Guesting working a higher priority or not is anyone’s guess. World transfers are a monetary source if they aren’t free.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aluna Darklady.3165

Aluna Darklady.3165

Acension, I’ve read through this entire thread and can’t understand what you are actually wanting from it. Everyone has told you all the facts, and there is nothing you can do. Transfers are not free. By the tone of your responses, my suspicion is that you were just looking for a hand-out, for someone to feel sorry for you and give you the gold to transfer. Nothing drives me more nuts.

I disagree and don’t really feel it’s your friends’ faults nor that they or your guild should have to help cover the cost. You should have been better prepared. If they deliberately did not join you on your server, then maybe there is a reason. You keep saying “refer to my previous response” and that doesn’t say anything. Still can’t figure out what it is you are wanting from this thread? i.e. WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Treadstone.2564

Treadstone.2564

Though I sympathize with you, you and your friends had a couple of options that you just didn’t take.

1. You could have transferred over while it was still free.
2. Your friends, who allegedly want to play with you, could have picked your server instead of some other one

Now your only options are to pay for the transfer or save up the gold.

Maybe you can get your friends to pitch in. Have everyone put in five bucks so that you can play with them. If they rolled on a different server and won’t help you afford the transfer, maybe they’re not such great friends.

in Suggestions

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

your best bet is to do a combination thing,
spend a lil bit of cash to buy gems, and get your friends to give you some gold to get to their server, until then you can guest with them for pve.

I would donate money for a friend of mine to switch, if they wont, then i dunno how great it would be anyhow. WvWvW is best enjoyed when at least a couple of the people in your crew has some disposable income

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mag Li.2581

Mag Li.2581

To OP,
Your original post may not intended to be a complaint, but like many have said, your option as of today is that you need to pay to transfer or you can guest until you have the funds to do the transfer.

From what I can read here to this point, this post sounds a lot like a whine.

Mag Li [Oxy]
Part 1/2 of a dynamic duo

in Suggestions

Posted by: azmodeus.3409

azmodeus.3409

yea, if only they gave some kind of warning before they locked us in servers…oh wait.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mag Li.2581

Mag Li.2581

yea, if only they gave some kind of warning before they locked us in servers…oh wait.

Yeah, maybe they should have had those big yellow messages flash across our screen for an entire month, or better yet, they should have totally put up a giant message window that will not go away until the user tick off a box saying I have read and understand the implication of not changing my server now…

I bet even then there will be people like the OP that somehow just MISSED the whole thing… go figure

Mag Li [Oxy]
Part 1/2 of a dynamic duo