Worst color combination ever?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I’m sorry, but as I was crafting an alt to level 80, something horrible caught my eye.

Blue…and yellow. Though he was afk, this player’s armor sparked a conversation about how each person has their own tastes.

I’m gonna go ahead and say his tastes are wrong.

Have you seen a worse color combination?

Attachments:

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Melis.9687

Melis.9687

Maybe he’s just from Sweden.

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

He could be Swedish or from the island of Madeira. Both have blue and yellow flags. Not my favorite color combination, but not the worst I’ve seen as well.

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

That combo doesn’t strike me as bad, probably because those were my H.S. colors. Worse would be the guy I saw running around in a kelly green and orange ensemble. Now that made me want to know if he was colorblind.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

LOL

You are right!

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Weebitt.3157

Weebitt.3157

Actually, I like it.

Posted by: Rookni.2469

Rookni.2469

lol. Maybe not the average overused armor colors, but atleast his colors goes together. I seen way worse color combos on people who thought they had a epic painted armor set of doom

Commander Yolo Oh Trollo. The power is in the moustache
http://www.youtube.com/user/itsjustfiction

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

It would be fine if he used darker shades of blue/yellow. That’s just a little too… fabulous.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

Luckily there is no accounting for taste.

I’ve always loved that phrase… so many different interpretations one can apply to it.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

I like the colors. They go well together.

I ran a similar pattern on my Asura enginner for a while, a bit darker blue. Thinking about doing it again since I’ve rejoined Team Sweden [SWE].

The armor in the screenshot reminds me of Tzeentch. And can anyone honestly think Thousand Sons or followers of Tzeentch in general have a bad color scheme?

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: histerico.6153

histerico.6153

It’s not that bad of a color combination, although I think he could use a third color just to break up the pattern a bit

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

makes me wonder why there isn’t anything with plaid (the stripey patterns)?

i think its okay for a color combination. maybe they were going for gold, literally, and failed. could also be they stole a set of consortium clothes, and ran it through the wash several times with crap detergent.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

A darker blue would have made that a perfectly reasonable combination.

Posted by: zargnath.9524

zargnath.9524

I’m sorry, but as I was crafting an alt to level 80, something horrible caught my eye.

Blue…and yellow. Though he was afk, this player’s armor sparked a conversation about how each person has their own tastes.

Thank you

/a swedish person

Gnarl Blackfur – Charr ranger
Bob – Four legged shapeshifter
HeXagonis [HeX]

Posted by: markob.4398

markob.4398

I assume he’s a fan of the San Diego Chargers’ alternate jersey.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Blue and gold can be quite regal. Look at Tutenkhamen, or gold fleur de lis on a blue field. It could be your graphics are set lower than his so to him it looks way better, y’know!

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

I saw one guy wearing pink and sea green.

But we should not make fun of the colour blind.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

annoyed? i actually get complimented on it more often than you’d think. personally i think it’s the best combination. orchid and maroon is nice too.

Attachments:

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Wanderer.3248

Blue and gold can be quite regal. Look at Tutenkhamen, or gold fleur de lis on a blue field. It could be your graphics are set lower than his so to him it looks way better, y’know!

Dark blue and actual gold looks good. Pale blue and lemon = forever alone.

Wanderer.3248

annoyed? i actually get complimented on it more often than you’d think. personally i think it’s the best combination. orchid and maroon is nice too.

Yes that looks good. But the picture in the OP looks like it started out as blue gold and was left in the sun for 20 years like an old faded Pontiac.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

But… But that’s our Swedish guilds WvW colors

Attachments:

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I didn’t mean to offend any swedish people.
My OP still stands

Yours looks like it was thought out.

The OPs does NOT XD

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I thought that actually looked good.

<.<
>.>

Yes I’m from Sweden.

Posted by: Paradoxine.8192

Paradoxine.8192

A darker blue would look much better imo.

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

I question the taste of the community as a whole when black and whites are the most expensive dyes.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I question the taste of the community as a whole when black and whites are the most expensive dyes.

Amen to that. 90% of the characters I see are clad in either black, white, or a cotton candy-looking pink. Hundreds of dyes in this game, and everyone runs the same three colors. /smh

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Darker blue, and he would fit in with the Swedish flag. That blue is too bright.

And yes, everyone I see (including me) runs around with 1 colour only. It’s either full dark colour, or full bright colour.

I’m running around with Celestial and Silver.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

A darker blue would look much better imo.

Nah it would be too dark then to fit the old Swedish regimental colors.

Unfortunetly GW2’s lighting doesnt quite reflect the “ideal” color. It shifts widely based on map. I am fairly sure that the colors in the OP looked better when the guy created them in the character menu, that’s just not very flattering lighting

Attachments:

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I think one of every bright color would be a poor.

The best is probably Red, white, and blue. See what I did thar? Huehuehue

Posted by: Passiflora.2047

Passiflora.2047

It doesn’t look great to me, but it doesn’t make my eyes bleed or anything. Blue and yellow can be a stunning combination; IMHO this particular player just didn’t choose quite the right shades/tones.

Though my (male) Sylvari runs around in green with pink accents, so maybe I’m not one to talk. xD

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I usually run with a mix of white, black, and reds. It seems to work out for the look I’m going for, though sometimes I switch it up depending on a certain look I’m trying to aim for.

Back in GW1, I know black and white were also relatively expensive. However, you really didn’t have much of a selection unless you experimented and mixed various dyes to find that perfect color. It didn’t surprise me that the rare quality whites and blacks would reach that monetary value in GW2. White is a brilliant base color to work with and goes well with many things— it’s the Guile’s Theme of Colors. On the other hand, darker shades are a bit tricky to work with but can produce interesting results without making it too plain in dark light.

In addition, you also have to consider what material that dye is being applied to. I find most Vibrant colors to be comical in most schemes, but can be workable, while the Metal and Leather colors work best when applied to those materials.

Honestly, I find the worst color combinations to be dying every single slot the same exact color, regardless of color. The notorious ones would be those who go all-Abyss, all-Celestial, or all-Midnight Ice/Fire. Just because those are Rare quality dyes doesn’t mean they’re the best dyes.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

I guess someone doesn’t like the old wolverine colour pallet

Posted by: SouthernCross.5286

SouthernCross.5286

First time I hear that Chun Li wears the “worst color combination ever”

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

What? I happen to love black and white. >_>

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Wow that looks hard to beat but I can try. Here I forced my warrior to use the most hideous color combination I could think of. He was not pleased.

Attachments:

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

No one ever did. Yellow and blue sucks. Blue and yellow, on the other hand… Cyclops had it going on.

LOL. MAH BAD!!!

Now I remember, it was the whole (good) xmen bunch from the series that had Blue and yellow besides Xavier and Storm. Even lame Jubilee had a Blue and Yellow outfit.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

No one ever did. Yellow and blue sucks. Blue and yellow, on the other hand… Cyclops had it going on.

LOL. MAH BAD!!!

Now I remember, it was the whole (good) xmen bunch from the series that had Blue and yellow besides Xavier and Storm. Even lame Jubilee had a Blue and Yellow outfit.

I was just joking.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I like your color combinations but dude, you need to block out chat as there are expletives and names of players before you’re infracted.

On-topic: I saw a huge norn at tequatl who was completely multi-colored. I don’t know how he did it, but he looked like a piece of candy. Pink shoulder, yellow shoulder, black mid-section, bright green boot, bright blue pants. Looked hilarious, unfortunately, no SS

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I think I’ve seen that multicolored Norn in an LA overflow once. It was something else.

Great color combo in that screenshot, it’s all in the shades of blue and yellow that makes it work. On a side note, your Charr looks sort of like a Tengu from that angle and the armor… Aw, I want to play a Tengu character!

(edited by rozcinana.7249)

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Darker blue, and he would fit in with the Swedish flag. That blue is too bright.

And yes, everyone I see (including me) runs around with 1 colour only. It’s either full dark colour, or full bright colour.

I’m running around with Celestial and Silver.

Yeah the colors in the screenshot the OP posted is more a Ukrainian blue/yellow tone than Swedish.

The screenshot of the swedish guild members look awesome though.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I really do not see how that is so bad.
Tastes can’t be wrong anyway. You can agree or disagree to the taste, that is fair enough. But it can’t really be wrong.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Calerxes.1364

Calerxes.1364

Thats a classic colour combination, my kitchen is those exact colours. I gather you did not go to Art or Fashion college then?

Posted by: Vawn.3041

Vawn.3041

Hey, look! It’s the Captain! (Fix the URL below and take a look if you’d like)

youtube . com/watch?v=PWmz5eggTmo

He’s doing his Ambient Killer daily…like a boss, in case you’re wondering.

Anyway, about a month or so ago I saw a blue and yellow heavy armor set that looked really cool – so my opinion is the combination is not universally bad.

-Edited YouTube URL to remove the automatic embed in post. Reason: There is one swear word at the end of the credits.

“All I wanna do is a’Rata sum sum, and a boom boom!”

-Vawn

(edited by Vawn.3041)

Posted by: Wranglerist.5489

Wranglerist.5489

Looks like the knight profession in priston tale 1 hehe

#ELEtism

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Wow that looks hard to beat but I can try. Here I forced my warrior to use the most hideous color combination I could think of. He was not pleased.

That combination doesn’t seem so bad to me. It’s almost serpentine especially with the scale mail, basically looks like you’re wearing the hide of an exuberant snake creature. The bright green and olive work as the base while the pinkish-purple (can’t really tell what tint that is…) works as an accent color.

It’s also possible you just picked a place where the lighting does the combo many favors.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Not really a combination but all parts with abyss.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

It’s probably because blue and yellow are not complementary colours, and depending on the hues can look very cold (people generally prefer warm colours). Personally i don’t like blue and yellow as a combination much, tho dark blue and gold are passable.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Well pretty much any color combination ‘works’ be they complementary or contrasting or whatever. Pick any two or three colors and I’m sure you can find a composition that makes them work. But that’s the thing, it’s the composition. It makes things work or not work. For example: almost all black. Some people can make it work and others just make it look tacky and bland.

How about green and purple-pink? Sounds like an odd combo but I’m sure it can work with the proper composition.

The OP’s example is probably a composition that is overall ‘meh’, but the colors themselves? Blue (not dark blue) and gold (slightly darker than what’s in the pic) were my highschool colors so it doesn’t seem odd at all. The variants in lighting in the game can change a lot though. What looks good in one light can be bland or unnoticable in other lights and so on.

The OP’s example is probably the only bad one posted so far. The player attempts to balance the yellow and blue when he should be using one as a base color with the other accenting it.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

So, I’m just curious, do you judge people based on skin color?

Posted by: The Lazy Geek.5249

The Lazy Geek.5249

Implying someone’s taste is wrong because they’re not your own.

I chortled at the thought.