Worst color combination ever?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

It’s probably because blue and yellow are not complementary colours

Erm…methinks someone never took an art class. Because blue and yellow are complementary colors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_colors#Color_theory

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Keirion.9105

Keirion.9105

Aren`t those Consortium colors?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Wow that looks hard to beat but I can try. Here I forced my warrior to use the most hideous color combination I could think of. He was not pleased.

Ummm actually it looks pretty good. ^^ In that light, and maybe because of how you are posed, it looks iridescent rather than discordant.

Posted by: Meret.5943

Meret.5943

We had a guild subforum in GW, and continued on the guild facebook page in GW2, called Guild Wars Fashion: The Good, Bad, and the Tragic. We would constantly grab screens of the most… interesting dye and armor combos. Good fun!

That said,

Erm…methinks someone never took an art class. Because blue and yellow are complementary colors.

When I learned about the colors in school, “complementary” colors were those which were opposite one another on the color wheel. Blue and orange, yellow and purple, red and green were the complementary pairs.

The below attachment, the armor isn’t terrible on its own but the skin color makes the overall style so very special (sorry, whoever you are).

Attachments:

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

Any combo, that doesn’t center itself around “Abyss” dye, is terrible

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

Meret has it. Blue and yellow are not complementary.

Bearing in mind that anyone can edit the wiki, i’d go so far as to say that goethe’s model is incorrect, as the definition of ‘complementary colours’ necessitates one primary and one secondary colour, and neither purple nor green are primary colours.

(edited by Funky.4861)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Rusts wins the worst color combinations.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Wow that looks hard to beat but I can try. Here I forced my warrior to use the most hideous color combination I could think of. He was not pleased.

He looks like an Easter Egg

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I’m gonna go ahead and say his tastes are wrong.

Implying someone’s taste is wrong because they’re not your own.

I chortled at the thought.

He didn’t imply anything. He stated it outright.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: ichal.9504

ichal.9504

But… But that’s our Swedish guilds WvW colors

i like it, and when you like what you wear and their color, i dont think you should care what some people think

Manoa.5897

Bearing in mind that anyone can edit the wiki, i’d go so far as to say that goethe’s model is incorrect, as the definition of ‘complementary colours’ necessitates one primary and one secondary colour, and neither purple nor green are primary colours.

Blue and yellow are complementary if you’re using the RGB color model (i.e. when you’re dealing with light and electronic systems that use it like computers).

But for traditional art media, you’re right. Blue would be complementary with orange and yellow with purple.

Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Meret.5943

Meret.5943

So Manoa, when you said “someone didn’t take an art class,” you actually meant “someone didn’t take a computer/ graphic arts class?”

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Well that’s just painful…

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

people generally prefer warm colours

THAT explains all the black* armor I see everywhere I look.

*yeah, yeah…technically not a color…I get it.

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

It’s right for him!

As the old saying goes; “To each their own.”

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

Actually i quiet like that combo but maby its just me

Posted by: ThunderBadger.3049

ThunderBadger.3049

Are there any GW1 players here that remember the “Ugly Monk” thread in the GW1 forums? That always brought a smile to my face (and usually more than a few hearty belly laughs!) Those were some crazy armor colors and combinations…

Posted by: Blackers.7512

Blackers.7512

I’n my opionion it’s not as bad as the Abyss & Celestial combo… getting really tired of seeing people only wearing those colours.

Sure you’re gonna want to show off the rare dyes you have, but i just feel peoples creativity is sacrificed as a resualt.

Desolation – Thief

darkace.8925

I’n my opionion it’s not as bad as the Abyss & Celestial combo… getting really tired of seeing people only wearing those colours.

Sure you’re gonna want to show off the rare dyes you have, but i just feel peoples creativity is sacrificed as a resualt.

The people (generally speaking) were never creative to begin with.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

The only colour combination that looks horrid is a boring one or overused by many.

The yellow/blue looks nice TBH. Is the yellow actually ‘gold’?

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Digicult.8603

Digicult.8603

Thats one sexy armor

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

What?? You guys actually thought my previous attempt had some pretty good colors? Well I guess its true what they say…beauty is in the eye of the bees holder.
EXCEPT THIS GUY MAKES THE EXEMPTION!

Attachments:

Posted by: Dunkelbunt.1064

Dunkelbunt.1064

I would like to submit a picture of someone who takes great pride in his chice of colors. On our Server he is well known for his hideous appearance and has even gathered a few followers.

So without further ado I give you: Dantos, the charr thief.

Attachments:

Manoa.5897

So Manoa, when you said “someone didn’t take an art class,” you actually meant “someone didn’t take a computer/ graphic arts class?”

I’ve taken both and got the two mixed up. It’s been some years. My bad. Nothing to see here, move along. :-/

Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Any combo, that doesn’t center itself around “Abyss” dye, is terrible

Midnight Ice is the cheaper, less boring version of Abyss dye.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

It’s probably because blue and yellow are not complementary colours

At least it’s coordinated throughout, which is more than I can say for some of the multicolored monstrosities i’ve seen.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

He’s obviously a member of “The Forces of Brightness”.
I myself tend to side with the “Earthtone Coalition”.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I’d like it if one of the colors (most likely the blue) was darker and/or added a little bit of red to it.

One reason of why there are so many whites and blacks out there is that not everyone knows how to create pleasing color combinations, and well, black and white, being achromatic colors (colors with no saturation), go well with anything.

BTW, this is a nice website for some of the theory behind color combinations..

http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-theory-intro.htm

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I’m sorry, but as I was crafting an alt to level 80, something horrible caught my eye.

Blue…and yellow. Though he was afk, this player’s armor sparked a conversation about how each person has their own tastes.

Have you seen a worse color combination?

Thats a classic colour combination, my kitchen is those exact colours. I gather you did not go to Art or Fashion college then?

No, sadly most of the world has to get real jobs not pertaining to what colors look pretty together like it’s a hard decision. The Sky blue/yellow is pretty awful, but I feel like the “peach” or “melon” colors mixed with sky blue are even worse.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Leo G.4501

What?? You guys actually thought my previous attempt had some pretty good colors? Well I guess its true what they say…beauty is in the eye of the bees holder.
EXCEPT THIS GUY MAKES THE EXEMPTION!

Well, he’s got a theme at least…

I would like to submit a picture of someone who takes great pride in his chice of colors. On our Server he is well known for his hideous appearance and has even gathered a few followers.

That just makes me ill…

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

What is blue? What is yellow?
Here a little edu-tainment (need sound though).

Taste in regards to colour varies in different cultures.

Edit: Could maybe use a bit darker yellow – et voila

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Blue-and-yellow_Macaw,_Ara_ararauna,_JBP,_Nov_06.jpg

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Leo G.4501

Thank you for that video. Gave me some things to think about

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Dantos for the win, when name changes come out on the TP ill chip in so he can be renamed Dantos the Colorblind

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: mattbnh.9247

mattbnh.9247

Original guy is probably a patriotic Swede.
All he needs is a three crowns guild crest.
I too like it.
Given the fact that you can change colors at will, I think it is great when people experiment. My thief has gone from all dark to all bright to more pastels than a neighborhood in Bermuda. Then back to dark.

“That’s more than I really needed to know.” – Adventurer in LA

darkace.8925

He’s obviously a member of “The Forces of Brightness”.
I myself tend to side with the “Earthtone Coalition”.

There are far too few of us. Everyone seems to have joined “The Legion of Black”.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I like monochromes. My eyes are bad and it makes my Engineer who hops around all the time easier for me to see.

I’m an illustrator so I’ve got a decent grasp of color theory. The blue and yellow isn’t the most fantastic combination ever, but I don’t find it particularly offensive. I think the worst I saw was what looked to be Phlox or Plum, with Sprout and Pastel Olive, and a few red highlights. I didn’t cap it but it’s burnt into my mind’s eye forever. Some light armour class and none of the armour parts matched the others. Ugh. Maybe they loved it, but it hurt me deeply to look at. I’m tempted to re-create that monstrosity of color on my own armour and post it.

So, I’m just curious, do you judge people based on skin color?

oh wow

Attachments:

Posted by: kyandeisu.2396

kyandeisu.2396

absolutely correct, i think others might of been confused on the color scheme and wut it would of been categorized under. If the OP photo had some orange/red in it that guy could totally pull off a triadic color scheme but sadly he was just one step away..

My Art Site: www.Mint-Tart.com

Posted by: playandchill.3908

playandchill.3908

haha made my day

[LANI] Multi glad pewpew

QUIT- RETIRED

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

What is blue? What is yellow?
Here a little edu-tainment (need sound though).

Very interesting video. Thanks for posting.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The worst I have ever seen was a warrior in heavy armor with every section of that armor dyed bright pink. No variation at all, just monotone bright pink.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

The colours are too light for my taste.

Gold and dark blue is the better combo.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Bast Bow.2958

Bast Bow.2958

haha that’s cool and funny.. and yes it’s ugly.

The blue/yellow etc isn’t too bad.

Almost everyone is walking around with midnight ice or abyss. Sometimes 1 other colour is added. Since it’s so incredibly common now it get’s boring. I really don’t like that since a lot of players are using it and you don’t stand out in a nice colourful kind of way.
Just because the pricetag is high doesn’t make it beautifull, especially if everyone’s using it.

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

In fashion and style terms, blue and yellow go quite well together and have been style choices for quite some time. It would appear that YOU are the one with the bad taste, sir.

relevant example: http://dandyfashioner.blogspot.com/2009/09/art-of-color-what-colors-go-well.html

It’s not a matter of taste; it’s a matter of style.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

The worst I have ever seen was a warrior in heavy armor with every section of that armor dyed bright pink. No variation at all, just monotone bright pink.

What’s wrong with all pink?

Attachments:

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

What’s wrong with all pink?

It’s the manliest colour

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Kojackson.8253

Kojackson.8253

My wife wrote a color randomizer to pick 3 colors out of the full available list. So when we run a dungeon as a guild, we always pick random colors for fun. I quite often have some horrible looking colors on my warrior. It’s just all in good fun

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

In fashion and style terms, blue and yellow go quite well together and have been style choices for quite some time. It would appear that YOU are the one with the bad taste, sir.

relevant example: http://dandyfashioner.blogspot.com/2009/09/art-of-color-what-colors-go-well.html

Well I completely disagree with some of what that guy says. Red Blue and Yellow in the same outfit? Well ok I guess if you like looking like you are going to be a clown at your son’s birthday party. If having style means looking like a runaway carny, I’ll stay completely unclassy lol.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Leo G.4501

Well I completely disagree with some of what that guy says. Red Blue and Yellow in the same outfit? Well ok I guess if you like looking like you are going to be a clown at your son’s birthday party. If having style means looking like a runaway carny, I’ll stay completely unclassy lol.

Lol, quite.

But at a clown convention, they’ll blend right in!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

http://dandyfashioner.blogspot.com/2009/09/art-of-color-what-colors-go-well.html
“Take for example: Blue, Yellow and Red. They form a basic color triangle that will match the colors well. This is why you can wear a navy blazer, a red pocket square and yellow tie with gray slacks or khakis and you will look great.”

For real? Blue jacket, yellow tie, red handkerchief, and gray pants? Maybe I have to actually see this combination but it sounds gawdawful. This piece of fashion advice negates that whole article.

Leo G.4501

http://dandyfashioner.blogspot.com/2009/09/art-of-color-what-colors-go-well.html
“Take for example: Blue, Yellow and Red. They form a basic color triangle that will match the colors well. This is why you can wear a navy blazer, a red pocket square and yellow tie with gray slacks or khakis and you will look great.”

For real? Blue jacket, yellow tie, red handkerchief, and gray pants? Maybe I have to actually see this combination but it sounds gawdawful. This piece of fashion advice negates that whole article.

Meh, fashion is different than color theory, IMO. The combination described can work, but mainly because he said ‘navy blazer’. If it was a Perrywinkle or Turquoise blazer? You running into territory that is more sickening to the eyes. Shades and tints change how well colors match which isn’t represented in simple color wheels.