Worth Coming Back To?

Worth Coming Back To?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: asmariya.1096

asmariya.1096

Hi all, I played Guild Wars 2 when it first came out for a little while. (Level 59 Guardian). I was considering playing again, but I would like to know a few things.

Is the player base high or am I going to see a lot of dead areas and times?

Has the game turned into a pay-to-win game?

Are there good and constant content updates?

If any of you guys could give me some tips and ideas knowing what I would be coming back to, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

=^.^=
Elesh of Norn
Guardian

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Why don’t you log in and find out yourself?

No one will bite you or charge you money.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Worth Coming Back To?

asmariya.1096

Why don’t you log in and find out yourself?

No one will bite you or charge you money.

I have already done so, but I started over at a low level, and so far all I hear about is a “train” thing in low level areas. It can’t tell me much about what I have looked for so far. I never got too into the game before, so I’m not sure the popular cities or areas.

=^.^=
Elesh of Norn
Guardian

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Hi all, I played Guild Wars 2 when it first came out for a little while. (Level 59 Guardian). I was considering playing again, but I would like to know a few things.

If any of you guys could give me some tips and ideas knowing what I would be coming back to, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

You’re going to get a lot of mixed reviews coming to the forums, mostly negative ones trying to get you not to play the game. But I’ll do what I can to help, even though I’m not a fan of GW2 at the moment.

Playerbase is decent. With the new megaserver feature in the new update though, you should see a lot more players now. Areas shouldn’t be as dead as they used to. But it won’t always be a constant thing, but that’s usual for any MMO. There is just some areas players don’t go to. But player population overall is decent, it’s not in the millions like WoW is, but it’s still a nice size to do things.

Game never was, and as far as I know, never will be P2W. That doesn’t mean that Anet tries to push the bounds every now and then. But there is nothing in the gem store that will give you an advantage over other players (though the Watchwork Pick is still in question as Anet ignores that issue). Everything is mostly convenience and cosmetic.

Right now the game is in a halt. No new content as of yet, just a QoL feature pack that came out last week. They just finished season one of the Living Story though. Though it was all temporary content, so you can’t even go back to see any of it. So logging in now, it will seem like nothing new has been introduced since launch, except for a few random areas that you have no idea why they are there now.

No idea when the new season starts, so can’t tell you what it will entail or if it will be more permanent content, instead of all the temporary content they keep releasing.

But all in all, best to just log in and check for yourself. Not sure when you quit exactly, but if it was before the Living Story business, then everything will seem pretty much the same as when you left. With a few QoL features added/fixed.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Worth Coming Back To?

asmariya.1096

Thanks for the info! I didn’t see too much or rather I don’t remember much of it because I stopped playing so long ago. Probably a year or more ago. I guess more of, I’m just looking for a decent player base. I don’t like coming into games that are on the verge of dying, or I can’t even find people to play with. As for the season one stuff, I have no clue what that is lol I’ll have to read up on it or something. Thanks again for not giving a biased POV!

=^.^=
Elesh of Norn
Guardian

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: MINKZILLA.6023

MINKZILLA.6023

YES!

I just came back recently and what was cool about that is that for each of your character birthdays you get a token to level a character to 20 instantly. So I started a new thief and it is a lot of fun. The low zones are really full and lively which is nice. When you get into the higher ones not as much and leveling gets more boring. I would suggest to join an active guild so you have something to do well leveling.

A lot of the “quality of life” improvements are really good IMO. Also the new fractals are awesome for high level challenge. WvW is as fun as ever. I haven’t payed the new edge of the mists that much, it looks awesome though. My server is low pop so there arent many people in there.

“Every quote you hear on the internet is true.”
-Abraham Lincoln

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

It’s really not worth it unless you like grindy, zergy, shallow and ultimately unrewarding content that strongly nudges you towards spending real money on gems to convert to gold.

They even put a “buy now” button on the new wardrobe, because you need to buy charges in order to change the look of your gear.

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

1: After the last patch its pretty kitten hard to find a place to be on your own,- I’ve tried.. so far only the place I could be on my own, was the Charr bathroom^^
2: No. – But you can buy an awesome win -in the form of a quaggan hat and wear it in combat now.
3:- There are constant (every 14 days or so) an update. .- Some of them are good. Some provide much gnashing of teeth and pulled hair.

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

3:- There are constant (every 14 days or so) an update. .- Some of them are good. Some provide much gnashing of teeth and pulled hair.

And very few of those updates are new content, and even fewer are permanent content (as in: permanent content additions seem to be extinct nowadays).

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

And very few of those updates are new content, and even fewer are permanent content (as in: permanent content additions seem to be extinct nowadays).

Ah right… yeah likely need to elaborate there, as I regard even last patch as content update. new traits, wardrobe, tournaments, new npc dialogs, changed landscape. etc. but yes. by content as a new permanent dungeon etc not much . But I bet as you land in Kessex hills or LA that you will widen an an eye or two.

Btw. some of the videos from the Living story content is avlible if you talk to the right npc’s- while out of context its still some nice videos.

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Well, the player base isn’t higher, but you’ll see less dead areas. The “Megaserver” update basically merges underpopulated zones from different servers. There’s good and bad points to how it does this, but there’s other threads that go into detail on it.

No, though some do feel that they’re increasing pressure to resort to buying gems with real cash to keep up with the game. I’m such a believer, but I’ll freely admit it’s a matter of opinion right now.

NO.
While many may debate the merits of the Living Story and all the temporary content it brings (and removes), the fact is that right now they’re between “seasons” of the Living Story. There are NO content updates at this time, temporary or permanent. Nor do we know when this will change.

Lion’s Arch is gone. Most (not all, but most) of the important functions have been moved to Vigil Keep, and the LA gates take you there now. You can still go to Lion’s Arch, and wander around the ruins. In fact, I strongly suggest you do so, as when they do finally give us new content, this is likely one of the first things to change. I may complain about ANet’s writing a lot, but this is one of the times I feel they deserve praise. The sense of loss, shock, and devastation was very well conveyed. (To get there safely at a low level, take a LA gate to Vigil Keep. From there, take a hot air balloon to the Priory, and there take the Asura gate to the ruins of LA.)

Aside from that, there were just a LOT of adjustments to the game (such as the Megaserver). Check the patch notes for more details, they changed a lot.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: viralthefrog.6130

viralthefrog.6130

It’s really not worth it unless you like grindy, zergy, shallow and ultimately unrewarding content that strongly nudges you towards spending real money on gems to convert to gold.

They even put a “buy now” button on the new wardrobe, because you need to buy charges in order to change the look of your gear.

There are more than enough ways to get charges to reskin your gear.
I got 4 last night and they didn’t cost me a dime.

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Okay if you’re looking for good and content updates you’re on the wrong place, seriously, that’s what we have been missing more. New Content, it’s really a must, this new feature patch shiny things can’t fix the lack of new content the game is getting.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: Sir Isaac The Great.5341

Sir Isaac The Great.5341

It will be pretty much the same game as you left it. Sure they added a few bells and whistles but when it come to content…well that was generally only limited time content and nothing of value stuck.

Worth Coming Back To?

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

With the new megaserver system the player base is high on all maps.

Its never P2Win.

Updates are continuous with quality ranging from minor/mediocre to large/awesome, your mileage will vary depending on your tastes. The only thing that is mostly stagnant is WvW but that doesn’t matter so much because PvP in its own right is fairly dynamic.

I took a 6 month break and came back, enjoying myself greatly, many many things to do.