Worth coming back?

Worth coming back?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: panthertheswift.7602

panthertheswift.7602

So I’ve played a lot of mmo’s: WOW, City of Heroes, Guild Wars 1, Secret World, Warhammer Online, etc. etc. the list goes on. I loved Guild Wars 2 at the start when I had friends to play with and I had never experienced the missions and the world, but just like GW1 (and most mmo’s), as time went on and I hit lvl 80, I found myself only coming back to the game from time to time for the different holiday events and some content updates.

Now, don’t get me wrong. GW2 still has a lot of fun stuff that attract me to it, especially WvW. I love territory capture games and did pretty well in Warhammer Online. I also think some of the dynamic story events are cool as well as the dungeons ( when I can find people to do them). But overall, I’ll play some events for maybe a couple weeks, get bored with what seems like the same redundant puzzles and battles and leave for another several months.

So before jumping back into GW2 once again, is it worth it? I guess what I’m mostly looking for is:

Good sized community with people to do events with
Continued WvW competition
Exciting, non-repetitive events and quests

I know I sound overly picky here, I just don’t want to spend the time checking out stuff in-game, wasting a couple weeks only to find out it’s still the same thing as all the other times I wandered back into the game.

Thanks!

Worth coming back?

Posted by: storm officer.1028

storm officer.1028

its alright for casual play

Worth coming back?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s still a very good game but the core is rather stagnant. The part about “exciting, non-repetitive events and quests,” well, as a veteran player you will be disappointed. Arena Net has been making increasingly worse decisions such as level gating and now the gem store update. If I were you, I would wait until 2015 to see if Arena Net can pull things together.

This is also something I find a little worrying despite its inflated negativity …..

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2jzuh8/gw2_losing_touch/

A more careful reading of this thread would show that though the thread got a lot of upvotes, the comment below it with the MOST upvotes is this:

“You know what part of the problem is? Guild Wars 2 isn’t a person. I’m sure there are devs working there who get it, and I’m sure there are devs working there who don’t get it, and I’m even more sure that none of those devs are making decisions like the one we saw today. Because there’s also management involved.
The management not only isn’t in touch…it was NEVER in touch. The devs are far more in touch than the management, even the ones who aren’t in touch.
Is Anet out of touch? Nah. Are the people who are pulling the strings out of touch? I just think they’re more in touch with stockholders than players.”

Take the current kurfluffle over the trading post (which I think Anet said they were going to revert).

Questions to ask yourself: What percentage of the playerbase even buys gems at all and what percentage buys gems with gold (I think it’s probably less than most people think). Then what percentage of people buy very little of that stuff.

Nothing that changed personally affects my game at all. I’m pretty sure that’s true for a staggeringly large percentage of the playerbase. But man there was a kittenstorm about it. I bet people posted there it was never going to affect or handn’t affected.

The game is doing well, it’s fun to play and people are still playing it. As a player who’s played a ton, I play it a bit less than I used to, but I still play it every day since launch.

Worth coming back?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Play the game like it or hate it it is your choice.

Worth coming back?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

So before jumping back into GW2 once again, is it worth it? I guess what I’m mostly looking for is:

Good sized community with people to do events with
Continued WvW competition
Exciting, non-repetitive events and quests

I’m going to caution you to take these reddit posts and forum brouhahas with a grain of salt, the game has been under intense attack recently (mostly due to the impending launches from other games).

As far as your questions:

1. Good sized community – yes, it’s one of the busiest MMOs on the market.

2. Continued WvW competition – yes, we just finished the 3rd WvW Tournament. Some weeks are more competitive than others but there’s always some matches that are neck and neck right up until the end. Tons of players everywhere, whether you are playing offensively or defensively on any given week.
http://mos.millenium.org/na/matchups/

3. Exciting non repititive events – they continue to add Living Story events, we are currently in the middle of Season 2 with the most recent events being Dragon’s Reach and the addition of the new zone, Dry Top. The next episode starts on November 4th.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_season_2

Well worth jumping back in

Worth coming back?

Posted by: kins.3294

kins.3294

Why do people make these things? You already have the game! Log and see for yourself, like it? stay! dont like it? leave again.

Worth coming back?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The game is stale with a glacial pace of content development. If you have anything else that you might be doing, you might as well do that because whether you come back in a month or two months or six months, the game will pretty much be the same and you won’t have missed much (except maybe a few more instances of cash grab drama like the recent gold-to-gem one, and the commander tag one from before that).