Worth starting a new character now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gabisto.7348

gabisto.7348

Greetings everyone. I’ve been away from the game since HoT came out. I basically completed the story of the expansion, got some mastery levels and then stopped playing. I’m thinking about coming back since a new expansion is on the horizon but i’m really really bored of my L80 Ranger :P Is it worth starting a new character now and leveling him up? I still have my boost but i don’t really want to use it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it’s definitely worth it.

Firstly starting a new character is a good way to get back into the game and remember the way everything works. But also levelling up is relatively quick in this game, so there’s no sense in sticking with a character you’re not enjoying just because they’re level 80.

And if you do get bored with it there’s always the boost, or Tomes of Knowledge.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: gabisto.7348

gabisto.7348

I think it’s definitely worth it.

Firstly starting a new character is a good way to get back into the game and remember the way everything works. But also levelling up is relatively quick in this game, so there’s no sense in sticking with a character you’re not enjoying just because they’re level 80.

And if you do get bored with it there’s always the boost, or Tomes of Knowledge.

Tbh i’d like to play more on the vanilla zones of the game than the HoT ones. From what i remember they weren’t that good

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I struggled with HoT when it first came out and walked away for about 15 months. Came back this past December, and had a blast with it (still occasionally AB or DS). Everyone of my alts (one for each class) has cleared the VB map for the ascended weapon collection.

I found it a lot easier when I came back, or less aggravating at any rate. They must have made some adjustments to it during that time.

Made and leveled a Revenant in the middle of all that too.

Posted by: Halan.7931

Halan.7931

I’ve been away for more than a year, and while still like my old character, I think of making a new one too (without Tomes of Knowledge). Leveling helps me to connect with the character.

And I need to play LS3 before PoF anyway.

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

My suggestion is to everybody who play more then casually to have at least 1 of each professions.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My suggestion is to everybody who play more then casually to have at least 1 of each professions.

That’s exactly what I’ve done. Even though I’ve found I rarely use some of them (the warrior and necro especially) it’s nice to know I’ve got the option if I want it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

That’s exactly what I’ve done. Even though I’ve found I rarely use some of them (the warrior and necro especially) it’s nice to know I’ve got the option if I want it.

Pretty much the same. I spend greater than 90% of my time on my ranger, but have an 80 of every profession.

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

I struggled with HoT when it first came out and walked away for about 15 months. Came back this past December, and had a blast with it (still occasionally AB or DS). Everyone of my alts (one for each class) has cleared the VB map for the ascended weapon collection.

I found it a lot easier when I came back, or less aggravating at any rate. They must have made some adjustments to it during that time.

Thing with that is they didn’t really...change anything if you’re talking about mob difficulty or how the zones were laid out.

Here is the thing with "knee jerk" reactions. People tend to get annoyed/frustrated/angry at something initially due to not being used to it or having a misunderstanding in relation to it, but then they step away (for however long) and when they come back after not thinking about it, aka cooling off, typically someone will tend to approach the situation with a better mindset and handle whatever difficulty they ran into much better after the fact. Or just have a better understanding of it.

Crazy what impulse emotions can do to ones objective reasoning.

Disclaimer: I’m not taking a shot at you, just making an observation based on your comment.

Posted by: Cyprien.4208

Cyprien.4208

I highly suggest one of every character because they all play different.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Thing with that is they didn’t really…change anything if you’re talking about mob difficulty or how the zones were laid out.

Here is the thing with “knee jerk” reactions. People tend to get annoyed/frustrated/angry at something initially due to not being used to it or having a misunderstanding in relation to it, but then they step away (for however long) and when they come back after not thinking about it, aka cooling off, typically someone will tend to approach the situation with a better mindset and handle whatever difficulty they ran into much better after the fact. Or just have a better understanding of it.

Disclaimer: I’m not taking a shot at you, just making an observation based on your comment.

Actually both of you are right at the same time. No changes to the mobs or map layout, but there have been many other changes to make HoT more pleasant:

• HP requirement for elites decreased from 400 to 250
  • VB WP’s don’t get locked out each time the map resets (I have a feeling this may have happened to AB too… can’t recall)
  • Some HP’s were re-tuned or their champ mob removed altogether
  • TD meta was nerfed/fixed
  • VB meta was retuned so you don’t need perfect camp defense to reach T4

I’m sure there are other changes that I’ve forgotten

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

That would be why HoT felt easier when I came back. Boogers, and here I thought I’d gotten better at the game. :/

Posted by: VanHalenRules.5243

VanHalenRules.5243

It’s always worth making new characters. LOTS of them. All asuras! FILL THE WORLD WITH ASURAS.

Altered Tuner, Hockey Defender (CD server)

Posted by: GWMO.4785

GWMO.4785

It’s always worth making new characters. LOTS of them. All asuras! FILL THE WORLD WITH ASURAS.

huh.. on the flip side, i am getting tired of having all asura. Saving tomes atm. I’ll delete and re-role most of them soon xd

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

can never go wrong with making a new character at any time. they come in handy for many good reasons like taken your time to enjoy the game itself .

also you can learn something new from a class or race you not played yet

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Thing with that is they didn’t really…change anything if you’re talking about mob difficulty or how the zones were laid out.

Here is the thing with “knee jerk” reactions. People tend to get annoyed/frustrated/angry at something initially due to not being used to it or having a misunderstanding in relation to it, but then they step away (for however long) and when they come back after not thinking about it, aka cooling off, typically someone will tend to approach the situation with a better mindset and handle whatever difficulty they ran into much better after the fact. Or just have a better understanding of it.

No no, didn’t take it that way. It’s an interesting point and something to consider moving forward. Or…in less than 3 weeks!

Posted by: Evono.4971

Evono.4971

huh.. on the flip side, i am getting tired of having all asura. Saving tomes atm. I’ll delete and re-role most of them soon xd

Dont forget you need to get atleast all the Important WP again like world bosses and stuff….