Would You Still Play if There was NO Loot?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yocchan.8902

Yocchan.8902

I think I would, yes. Though I love playing around with the looks of my characters with armor and dyes, that is something I could definitely do without. But it would raise the bar on how immersive the zones have to be: for example I’d go through Queensdale or Kessex Hills happily without loot, but in zones with less interesting events and storylines it’d be different.

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

No, i would not play the game

Posted by: Dedalus.3065

Dedalus.3065

I would probably never touch PVE since that gameplay is pretty dull and stale. I would however play WvW and sPVP where the combat is actually entertaining and the enemies are not braindead shells.

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

No, I don’t think I would still be playing. Not so much because of the loot, but because the games story telling really isn’t that good, sPvP is in a horrible state (still), and WvW does get repetitive after a while. The combat is still a ton of fun and the visual style of the game is amazing, but getting loot and leveling new characters is what really keeps me occupied, for now.

I’m hoping by the time I get bored from leveling new characters, that a new expansion will have come out with a better storyline and dialogue, that sPvP will be fixed (stealth/bunker/damage balance, spectator mode, ladder, build templates, streaming support, and so on…), and that WvW will have more to it then stealing camps and beating down gates.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

ALL loot? As in greys, whites, blues, crafting mats and so on?

Probably no. Sure WvW is fun, but I enjoy the odd farm run and instance here and there also.

If the game had no gear progression, then sure I’d keep playing, I could still farm skins, farm gold, buy new looking weapons and armors and so on. Stat progression isnt important to me, I just want the best I can get, but if there was only one type of quality on sets I’d be just as happy.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

No. That’s why I don’t play in lower level zones and some other areas, they are not rewarding. In a simple way we are loosing our time playing there.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Xenth.2408

Xenth.2408

I’m not sure.

I don’t see loot as mattering that much from a certain perspective. The best gear in the game is easily achievable by everyone so it’s not like it gives you an advantage.

On the other hand, the variety of loot gives build diversity. If I want to make a glass cannon character in order to clear PVE faster, I have that option. If I want to do a condition build to have good damage while fighting in a more defensive style, I can. If I want to go full defensive/healing or whatever to be a distraction to mobs or enemies in wvw, I have that option, etc etc etc.

So if characters and traits were more customizable towards different builds I wouldn’t care as much about loot.

There’s also the eye candy aspect of loot though. I like my guardian running around in full armegeddon skins and my thief in whispers armor skins. I like the variety of weapon skins too.

I see loot as eye candy and a way to adjust builds. Without loot I don’t think I’d like playing as much unless something was put in place to make up for losing these two factors.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’d properly play more if the loot system was more like GW1.

It is VERY much like the loot system in GW1 already. My friend keeps getting rares and exotics while I get nothing! It’s exactly the same as before.

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

I played Ultima Online for five years without loot, at least the way its defined in todays MMOs.

With that said, I probably would, because i really like this game. Generally speaking though, i wouldn’t play most MMOs because it seems most developers skip on gameplay as they can just add a mace +4, to replace the mace +3, and people will consider that “content”.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

MMOs are just skinner boxes. Almost no one would play any of them without loot.

Here’s a pretty good analysis.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: AstralDusk.1670

AstralDusk.1670

I would still play without loot if they deepened the levelling system to add more advancement options and customization. Essentially, I’d like if they traded one carrot for another, more delicious carrot.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I would still play without loot if they deepened the levelling system to add more advancement options and customization. Essentially, I’d like if they traded one carrot for another, more delicious carrot.

So ye liked carrots… like a bunny. !

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

No loot, no play. I mean it’s not like the incredible personal storyline (I’m talking about Trahearne’s story, in which I was allowed to participate) is going to keep me interested. Boss mechanics in this game are mostly boring, other players attempting end-game content are often petty and inconsiderate, the horizontal progress through varied weapon and armour skins is a total joke…. Why on earth would I put up with all of that if not for fat loot?

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

No loot, no play. I mean it’s not like the incredible personal storyline (I’m talking about Trahearne’s story, in which I was allowed to participate) is going to keep me interested. Boss mechanics in this game are mostly boring, other players attempting end-game content are often petty and inconsiderate, the horizontal progress through varied weapon and armour skins is a total joke…. Why on earth would I put up with all of that if not for fat loot?

Why on earth play something that that doesn’t keep you interested, is boring, while also dealing with people that are petty and inconsiderate.

For what? Fat internet loot?

I don’t get the draw to that.

/shrug

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Yeah if there was no loot they’d prob have more dynamic events, and I could live with that. The saying was right, there is more to the game than loot, and while it makes our time easier, it’s not what the game is all about. If that’s the only reason you play, there’s nothing they can do that will satisfy you, because the more you get, the more you want. It’s a vicious cycle.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Well if you just ripped it out of the current game, then of course not. But it’s not like I don’t play a game unless looting is possible.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

If the game was as is (no more than 3 decent build per class, poor amount of utilities/elites, none swappable weapon skills), no. If it was like gw1 i’d play pvp exclusively.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

I’d properly play more if the loot system was more like GW1.

It is VERY much like the loot system in GW1 already. My friend keeps getting rares and exotics while I get nothing! It’s exactly the same as before.

I lol’d at this because I’m in a similar situation but on the opposite side XD

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

I played GW1 Random Arenas for hours and hours and got NOTHING but Gladiator “achievement” points. So it’s possible. That said, GW2 needs work to make it inherently rewarding in the long haul.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!