Would double classing work in gw2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

Being able to select (and change at the manual vendor) a second class. You can’t access the weapon skills or traits of that class, but can make full use of their utilities (assuming you unlock them first). you also dont get access to the class mechanic (f1-f4)
Skills that need a class mechanic would be greyed out – major problem would be the ele, as many of his abilities change based on the attunement

Not GW1 level of complexity, but would that be feasable if implemented in the current game? And why did devs leave out the one BIG thing (being a selling point of gw1 for me and many others) from their previous game?

Mods Notice: Dont move the topic, this is not a suggesstion, i realize its very unlikely that such a big feature was left out to be implemented later, i’m just theorycrafting on IF that would work and WHY its not here after a 2 hours long discussion with some old guildies.

(edited by Aegis.9724)

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

Would love a Thief/Warrior!

Whats not to like? Stealth-DPS + DPS++
Oh wait: Would not enjoy 95% of avatars being a combo of the two OP flavor of the month classes.

Guild Wars had a well thought out “attributes+runes+dual classing” system (that was balanced, compared to what we have here) and worked fairly well.

This, even with the incredibly dumbed down skill pool, is a completely different beast!

Would not work in its current incarnation!

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

I totally agree, i always wanted to have a secondary class. I would accept it in any limited way, even if i could add utility skills only from my secondary. hope devs will read this thread and other people too.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I think it would be too unbalanced. How many time warping mesmers would you see with shouts and banners running COF p1 with warriors running time warp (if you mean elites too) lol.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

No. At least, not that way. If you could have a secondary class to switch to, that’s cool. But mixing any kind of skills will create an even bigger gap between classes that are balanced and ones that aren’t. Especially if elites are considered too. Imagine 5 warriors with time warp, stealth abilities from thief or defensive abilities from guardians, the list goes on. It would be broken.

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Why not make elites class specfic and the second class you can use the same skill from there weapons if your main class can equip the weapon. Then say you can use utilities.

Could see alot of elemental / thiefs with cloak and dagger as there 5th skill.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

The thing that made GW1 work with split classes was the attribute system. GW2 trait system would need a rework.

Then again if you were only speaking about utilities, I don’t think it would be that bad or hard to implement.

Some skills would just be funny. Thieves running around with clones + assassins guild+rock dogs

or warriors/guards teleporting and burning +100b. ouch

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

It has the potential and it would need to be done right for it to work efficiently. I kind of feel that this aspect is what made guild wars what it was. Granted of course they would have to rework the traits…. Which in my opinion would be a good thing despite how a vast majority of them are rather useless anyway but what it all truly boils down to is: “Play how you want to play and have fun doing it” aspect which I really think the game is direly deprived of right now. I welcome it and would dish out some currency to help make that happen.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.