Would love to play but I'm stuck

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stereotype.3420

Stereotype.3420

Q:

Hello!
So after a few month break I came back to play Guild Wars 2. I remembered it as it was the first month or two from the launch – full of people. However now, I logged in and created an alt, a human thief who I leveld up to level 14. During that time I managed to see in total 2-3 people in the areas I were which were LA, Metricia Province, Charr’s newb zone and queensdale. I’d love to play this game but it seems like I’m stuck on a dead server or atleast it seems to me it’s dead. I’m playing on Gunnar’s Hold where I transferred with few of my friends from Gandara back then. So is Gunnar’s Hold really a dead server or did I just have bad luck? And if it is dead any advice what I could do since leveling up alone really feels boring and I don’t want to play too much. Help is much appreciated and sorry for bad English, I’m from Finland.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

A:

I found that whenever I go on alts on my server Desolation I always see people around the zones I go through. That said the reality is that a lot of players are already level 80 (You can technically get to level 80 in a couple of days time).

So you will find most people are doing dungeons, WvW, pvp or world events (or slacking in LA). This is quite normal for most mmo’s where you won’t see a huge amount of people leveling after a certain amount of time on the game has passed.

For example WoW is one of the biggest games and I was on one of the active servers but when leveling alts I rarely came across anyone in the lower level areas. In comparison GW2 has a lot more people going to these areas than other mmo’s I’ve played. It could very well be that you were on there at the wrong time.

On top of that some servers have population dedicated more to one thing or another. For example I think Seafarers is mostly WvW and Piken Square being Role play (correct me if I’m wrong I don’t really keep up with these things).

What I would suggest is guesting to another busier server (which is free and you can try different servers with this method) to see if you like the density in the lower level maps there better. You can then continue playing as a guest or decide to transfer over.

Again though don’t expect there to be masses of people like during launch it’s just not realistic.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#How_to_guest

(I also don’t know when you were last playing the game but recently they released super adventure box in which time most people converged unto rata sum to do that so I’d imagine the world would’ve been pretty dead because of it)

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Someone will tell you to go to such and such server because “There are so many people here!!!lol”

Reality is there are probably people on your server, but unless you are doing the world Boss events you won’t see many of them in open world pve.

Edit: To test this theory, go to any World boss spawn area, where the timer is close,count the people there. Now go to any other area, and count the people there.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

First of all are you on a European or a North American server?

I play on North American so I can only speak for there and my server (Ehmry Bay). It seems most of the starter cities are dead most times and most maps besides Queensdale and LA. It could be that people just don’t play the other maps too much or when they do it’s not all at the same time or it could be the timezone I play in.

Apart from that when you do find a busy map that is not Queensdale it’s usually because a guild is there doing a Guild Event or people are farming/guesting the world events for the chests.

So in summary I guess most maps are dead except for special circumstances like I said. However you said Queensdale was dead for you. I would say that might be a time zone issue for you as that is usually THE map that is the busiest the most often I go there.

Lastly I would say don’t expect to find people to help you complete most maps. It’s actually a good thing that most maps are solable. Well from my experiance anyways they are once you are skilled/know the game.

Anyway I wish you the best.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Wooboost.8527

Wooboost.8527

Leveling is completely soloable

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

I’m on Gunnar’s Hold EU
And yes at times you won’t see many people like when there is a big event going on in a different map.
You could always join a guild or ask in LA for people to join you or on the map itself.

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Heya, another Gunnar’s Hold player here. Wayfarer’s (Norn start zone) is a better bet to run into people due to the Maw event. Remember too that often people “cattle” around zones to complete dailies.

If the ascalonian daily is active, check out the Charr places. Krytan killer? Queensdale. Vet slaughtering monthly? Queensdale Oakheart glade – everytime I’m there there are at least one or two others camping with me. :P

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Gear progression is the reason I have lost all interest in this game. I logged in today to see if anything has changed and immediately logged out.

I don’t understand why the people who want a gear treadmill can’t play one of the MANY other mmorpgs catering to your needs.

Instead we got this mess of a game that promised to be aimed at people who did not want to hunt for incremental gear upgrades every few months, then turned completely around claiming they didn’t lie to our faces when in fact they did.

1: Market game towards niche target audience
2: Alienate them in favor of the WoW-clone players
3: Fail to please those people
4: ???
5: Lack of profit.

I know it’s early, so I’ll assume this in the wrong thread because gear QQ has nothing to do with the title. Also, you point no.5, regardless of what I think of the rest of your points, is completely wrong. 3 million copies sold and a gem store that couldn’t do more business if it sold kittens.

I think they’re back on the right path with the SAB getting people out into the other capital cities, hopefully there’ll be permanent events like this soon to spread the player base out and get people away from world events.

Stereotype.3420

Thanks for the answers!
Leveling is indeed soloable but as I said I would much rather level with alot of people than none since it’s more fun, atleast imo. So I guess I just had bad luck then :/.

Posted by: JustCurious.3457

JustCurious.3457

If you only saw 2-3 people in LA on Gunnar’s Hold then you must be playing at odd times. A lot of the starter zones tend to not have many people in them as people are off doing the higher level events. I’m also on GH and LA is always busy. Joining a good guild is solid advice, it’s what I did too :P
If you are looking for a guild to join keep an eye out for PHO, I joined them a while ago, they are very PvE oriented and a friendly bunch!

Classes: Guardian, Elementalist, Warrior, Thief, Engineer, Herald

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I am on GH too and I find it very busy, especially the starter zones with exception of Metrica Province and possibly Plains of Ashford (haven’t been there recently)

People are around even if it doesn’t seems so, just try calling an event in map chat and you will see. The only times I really see only 2-3 people is early in the workday.
Prime time there is usually at least 20- 30 people doing random stuff in the starter zones.

Many many more for a boss like SB.

Queensdale is generally a hub of folks running around and just talking nonsense.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Space Cow.2431

Space Cow.2431

Gear progression is the reason I have lost all interest in this game. I logged in today to see if anything has changed and immediately logged out.

I don’t understand why the people who want a gear treadmill can’t play one of the MANY other mmorpgs catering to your needs.

Instead we got this mess of a game that promised to be aimed at people who did not want to hunt for incremental gear upgrades every few months, then turned completely around claiming they didn’t lie to our faces when in fact they did.

1: Market game towards niche target audience
2: Alienate them in favor of the WoW-clone players
3: Fail to please those people
4: ???
5: Lack of profit.

I know it’s early, so I’ll assume this in the wrong thread because gear QQ has nothing to do with the title. Also, you point no.5, regardless of what I think of the rest of your points, is completely wrong. 3 million copies sold and a gem store that couldn’t do more business if it sold kittens.

I think they’re back on the right path with the SAB getting people out into the other capital cities, hopefully there’ll be permanent events like this soon to spread the player base out and get people away from world events.

I have no idea how this post ended up in this thread. I never clicked this thread at all :/

I replied to a thread that was about gear progression.

And I got infracted for it too.

My sincere apologies, but I’m still puzzled as to how this happened.

(edited by Space Cow.2431)

Stereotype.3420

I found that whenever I go on alts on my server Desolation I always see people around the zones I go through. That said the reality is that a lot of players are already level 80 (You can technically get to level 80 in a couple of days time).

So you will find most people are doing dungeons, WvW, pvp or world events (or slacking in LA). This is quite normal for most mmo’s where you won’t see a huge amount of people leveling after a certain amount of time on the game has passed.

For example WoW is one of the biggest games and I was on one of the active servers but when leveling alts I rarely came across anyone in the lower level areas. In comparison GW2 has a lot more people going to these areas than other mmo’s I’ve played. It could very well be that you were on there at the wrong time.

On top of that some servers have population dedicated more to one thing or another. For example I think Seafarers is mostly WvW and Piken Square being Role play (correct me if I’m wrong I don’t really keep up with these things).

What I would suggest is guesting to another busier server (which is free and you can try different servers with this method) to see if you like the density in the lower level maps there better. You can then continue playing as a guest or decide to transfer over.

Again though don’t expect there to be masses of people like during launch it’s just not realistic.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#How_to_guest

(I also don’t know when you were last playing the game but recently they released super adventure box in which time most people converged unto rata sum to do that so I’d imagine the world would’ve been pretty dead because of it)

Really informin answer, thanks! I’ma try guesting ^^. But yea ofcourse I didn’t expect the same amount of people that was at launch and actually yesterday I saw ALOT of people running around in Queensdale so I guess it was just bad luck of mine.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I just went through Queensdale on my charr doing map completion. There were a minimum of 20 in each DE and people everywhere, once I got out of overflow that is. I’m on Tarnished Coast, but try guesting on any very high pop server. There is no shortage of players.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

My sincere apologies, but I’m still puzzled as to how this happened.

It seems that once in a while the software glitches and posts to the wrong thread. I’ve seen people edit messages to say “deleted – wrong thread” and such. If you notice that happening just edit your post.

Posted by: Belial.1478

Belial.1478

On top of that some servers have population dedicated more to one thing or another. For example I think Seafarers is mostly WvW and Piken Square being Role play (correct me if I’m wrong I don’t really keep up with these things)._

Somewhat correct. Piken Square used to be the RP server but nowadays it’s mostly on Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

On top of that some servers have population dedicated more to one thing or another. For example I think Seafarers is mostly WvW and Piken Square being Role play (correct me if I’m wrong I don’t really keep up with these things)._

Somewhat correct. Piken Square used to be the RP server but nowadays it’s mostly on Tarnished Coast.

Thanks! That’s good to know as I said I don’t really keep track of those things I just remember the name Piken Square from around launch time

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Thanks! That’s good to know as I said I don’t really keep track of those things I just remember the name Piken Square from around launch time

Actually, Piken Square is the EU unaofficial RP server, Tarnished Coast the NA. Both servers have plenty of non-roleplayers as well.

Posted by: Sericenthe.5310

Sericenthe.5310

I don’t know what game this user is playing. Queensdale is always full on the server I play on. Folks ping-ponging from Champion Boar, to Wasp, to Oakheart, to Troll. And when Shadow Behemoth spawns look out.

Wayfarer’s is usually always busy, especially around the Maw spawn.

Metrica is a little less busy but when the Elmental goes up then it’s mobbed.

Seri Kali [Me] – 80 Necromancer -Yak’s Bend