Would this be considered botting?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: iceluigi.9627

iceluigi.9627

Q:

So I buy a lot of bags on the trading post. And by a lot I mean over 2k bags at a time. Having to double click to open all these bags cost me almost an hour of my time and very tired fingers.

Would using a program that auto double clicked be considered botting or be against the rules? If I can’t use a third party program, what about using something like a macro on my keyboard?

Posted by: CC Dalmarus.8397

CC Dalmarus.8397

Community Coordinator

A:

As noted here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-Third-Party-Programs

ArenaNet cannot approve or review or “vet” any third-party programs. Our general policy is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden; anything that imbalances the game in favor of one player over another is strictly disallowed. With that said, we are aware that some utilities help players without impacting others, that is, they do not give anyone an advantage over someone else.

Our development team is not able to review third-party programs to assess their components or give them any sort of approval. We make our policies clear in our User Agreement, Rules of Conduct, and the Conduct Breaches and Outcomes document, which you can find in the Legal Documentation section of our website: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/ You should know the following:
1. If you chose to use any third-party program, you do so at your own risk.
2. We cannot offer support if the third-party program impacts Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 and, for instance, makes the game unplayable.
3. If you choose to use what you believe to be a “benign,” or non-advantage-giving program, be sure to get it from a legitimate source to protect yourself from the possible addition of cheats or key-loggers.

The best way for a player to assess whether a specific third-party program could have any impact on another player or a PvP opponent is to ask:
• “Does this program allow someone to play faster, better, longer, or more accurately than someone who doesn’t use it?”
• “Does this program allow someone to ‘play’ when he/she is not at the computer?”
• “Does this program allow the user to gain undeserved rewards?”

If the answer to any of these questions is “yes”—or even “maybe”—then we strongly recommend that you do not use the program because to do so may place your Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 account in jeopardy.

In the future, we will be working directly with the community to develop app support for Guild Wars 2, so stay tuned for more info!

Posted by: Kwami.4356

Kwami.4356

Are you automating a task? If so, you probably shouldn’t be.

Posted by: Blighton.6425

Blighton.6425

Would using a program that auto

yes, as that part is what is considered Botting

Posted by: Griffon.4716

Griffon.4716

I don’t think its part of botting as you are sitting there doing it. If you were to set it to open bags at different coordinates of your inventory window and walk away for an hour, yes that would be a bot.

Posted by: iceluigi.9627

iceluigi.9627

Are you automating a task? If so, you probably shouldn’t be.

Then what’s the rules for macros then? Would programming one of the keys on my keyboard to press consecutive attack buttons be a bannable offense? Where is the line exactly drawn?

I wouldn’t be leaving my computer to let a program do its own thing. I press a button to start the double clicking, press it again to turn it off. Move to my next stack of bags and repeat. It’s just saving me time and double click effort.