Would you be dissapointed?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Hello.

If ArenaNet added a new race, say the tengu, would you be dissapointed if the female model and the made model looked exactly the same, had exactly same animations and only wear male armour, just like charr and asura?

I’m asking this because I’m surprised that people don’t seem to mind that charr and asura share the same model for both genders.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: OptimistPrime.9283

OptimistPrime.9283

There are sexual differences in the races

Darkhaven’s giant purple cat thief thing

(edited by OptimistPrime.9283)

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The biological approach of Tengu with breasts would be interesting.

I, for one, welcome more realistic armor sets and birds without boobs.

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

I would not be. It is kind of refreshing as a female gamer to see some races/armors that are very similar for both sexes. I’m glad charr and asura female models don’t have giant chests and revealing armor.

That isn’t to say I am against the idea, I’m glad there are sexual distinctions in the other races, and different armors for them. I am just a fan of different options, and glad that for the most part this game gives them. I would not mind seeing both male and female charr/asura with some more revealing armors as well, just for the sake of greater options.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I wouldn’t play Tengu since the armour would clip even worse than on Charr, and Anet would have NO interest in fixing it, like on Charr.

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

I’m already disappointed by Gw2 tengu compared to Gw1 tengu.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Naus the Gobbo.5172

The only difference between a male charr and a female charr is the face, tail and fur. Everything else is exactly the same. Same goes with asura.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I really don’t care either way what they do personally, I won’t play a beast race in any game if I can help it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I’m not a dog person or a cleft hoofed midget.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

The only difference between a male charr and a female charr is the face, tail and fur. Everything else is exactly the same. Same goes with asura.

Look at many modern mammals today. Sexual dichotomy isn’t a requirement in evolution and should only occur if there’s an advantage to be conveyed to the species. While lions, for example, have a pretty clear dichotomy most other big cats (and small) practically require you to sneak up behind them and lift up their tails. The fact that there are races that mimic this tendency really is refreshing and a nice touch by ANet.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The biological approach of Tengu with breasts would be interesting.

I, for one, welcome more realistic armor sets and birds without boobs.

The male Tengu will be much more colorful then the female Tengu at least that how it works in real life with birds the male is more showy to make the female less likely to be eaten. Birds also lay eggs and have no need for mammary glands.

The best thing is to go out side can you tell the different between a male bird and a female bird by just looking at them (question aimed at the non bird experts lol). The truth is even humans from male and female look a lot alike we just live with the idea all our lives so it look like a big different. So from an outside perspective as in a human looking at a bird or a bird looking at a human the genders do not seem different at all.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: OptimistPrime.9283

OptimistPrime.9283

So what you are saying is that you are disappointed with the fact that there are very little differences between the sexes of the races of Charr and Asura.

The Charr being very physical, where sex matters little. A warrior is a warrior regardless of sex.

The Asura being very mental, where sex matters little. A genius is a genius regardless of sex.

I am not seeing a problem here.

Darkhaven’s giant purple cat thief thing

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Look at many modern mammals today. Sexual dichotomy isn’t a requirement in evolution and should only occur if there’s an advantage to be conveyed to the species. While lions, for example, have a pretty clear dichotomy most other big cats (and small) practically require you to sneak up behind them and lift up their tails. The fact that there are races that mimic this tendency really is refreshing and a nice touch by ANet.

I agree that it is a nice touch that ArenaNet doesn’t just slab breasts on, make googly eyes with eye lashes and call it a girl, but humans and norn have completely different models for male and female. The animations are different and so is the armour and everything else.

I am well aware that it costs a ton of time, money and resources to make two completely different models, but personally I just don’t see it as a “full” race unless the males and females look and feel different.

If the males and females are going to look exactly the same, then why not just make it a genderless race and make all the face/fur/hair options available?

I am not at all saying this is a problem, it’s just something that annoys me and I made the thread to see if other people are annoyed by it as well.
No hate, no whining, just curiousity.

(edited by Naus the Gobbo.5172)

Jski.6180

I agree that it is a nice touch that ArenaNet doesn’t just slab breasts on, make googly eyes with eye lashes and call it a girl, but humans and norn have completely different models for male and female. The animations are different and so is the armour and everything else.

I am well aware that it costs a ton of time, money and resources to make two completely different models, but personally I just don’t see it as a “full” race unless the males and females look and feel different.

If the males and females are going to look exactly the same, then why not just make it a genderless race and make all the face/fur/hair options available?

Look at the up and coming games though we soon will have cats with breasts lizards with breasts spaces bunny things with breasts GW2 realty braking the stander mmorpg even rpg models when it comes to this. It all comes down to is the mmorpg making a new races or just re-skining a human over and over. (added note i think we will see rock ppl robots and demon like with breast too lol we need some imagination where the 3ed gendered!?)

There are some level of options but they are just a bit more subtle your not playing a date sim here its about fighting mobs not getting a date so gender is not that important. There the voice in both sound and what they say and there are some armor look (some ppl would like to have the armor look the same or at least the chose to make it look the same).

(edited by Jski.6180)

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Yes, it would bother me. Despite maining an asura and loving just about everything asuran, having a gender difference would be nice. As it is, there are some cool armors that just don’t look as good on my female asura because I’m relegated to using the male version. Variety and choice are huge in RPGs and I think the more the better.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I actually HOPE that Tengus share the same models for both genders, besides small characteristics just like Charr.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Bistouri.6038

Bistouri.6038

The male Tengu will be much more colorful then the female Tengu at least that how it works in real life with birds the male is more showy …

This, obviously—it’s elementary, Watson.

Now, as for how many of us shallow visually oriented types would roll one of those rather plain female Tengu, that’s a whole other kettle of fish…

27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, OS 10.10.1

Jski.6180

The male Tengu will be much more colorful then the female Tengu at least that how it works in real life with birds the male is more showy …

This, obviously—it’s elementary, Watson.

Now, as for how many of us shallow visually oriented types would roll one of those rather plain female Tengu, that’s a whole other kettle of fish…

Well not everyone knows that about birds. Always good to be informed. I think they could add in some feather effects for the female tengu like the char horns where the female tengu have beads in there feathers.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I would appreciate more boobies!

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I really want to make a Tengu ranger with bird/moa pet and make him like the Quetzals from GW1.

Attachments:

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Here’s a nice pair!

Attachments:

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Hello.

If ArenaNet added a new race, say the tengu, would you be dissapointed if the female model and the made model looked exactly the same, had exactly same animations and only wear male armour, just like charr and asura?

I’m asking this because I’m surprised that people don’t seem to mind that charr and asura share the same model for both genders.

I’m surprised that people do mind – I think it’s fantastic that charr and asura share armour and have similar male/female models, instead of the usual fantasy nonsense.

I hope the tengu follow in a similar fashion.

I actually HOPE that Tengus share the same models for both genders, besides small characteristics just like Charr.

Agreed. 100%

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Here’s a nice pair!

Thanks for sharing your boobies with me!

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yes, and most people either don’t care or like it.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Here’s a nice pair!

Thanks for sharing your boobies with me!

No problems! They always like getting out and about.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Yes, and most people either don’t care or like it.

Bingo. I played Mithra in FFXI because well, it was a sexy humanoid cat lady. Charr? Not so much, only a face a mother could (begrudgingly) love.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Frostflame.5314

Frostflame.5314

I sincerely hope they do add Tengu in 2014. I would play the hell out of them.

However I think it would be awkward to put breasts on them. I’m glad they did not for the charr. The design decisions regarding the charr male and female differences, as well as the female armor remaining as functional as the male armor, is the main reason I chose charr as my race.

Jski.6180

I was thinking about this last night some what if they make the Tengu into a reverse gender stereotype races. As in the males are the more for looks and the females are more Utilitarianism. So the females will be more cover and the males will be less covered when it comes to armor some what on though lines.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I was thinking about this last night some what if they make the Tengu into a reverse gender stereotype races. As in the males are the more for looks and the females are more Utilitarianism. So the females will be more cover and the males will be less covered when it comes to armor some what on though lines.

That’s not reverse for birds.

I like that half the races are more subtle. Plants and humans have very different marks of gender, so it makes a lot of sense, cats usually don’t. Not entirely sure what Asura are based on, but it could be those grey aliens :P.

I like that anet have researched the racial inspirations, one more reason I love GW2

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Now this is a cool idea.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

Okay I am sorry for this guys… but as a wildlife biologist and a birder I have to put in my 2c regarding the coloration thing. Forgive me!

The extreme sexual dimorphism found in the coloration of birds are not found in the majority of bird groups. Its mostly limited to the perching birds (or songbirds if you will), ducks, and game birds. A few other groups (ostriches), but still a small amount. Not to say there aren’t exceptions, but when you think of the color differences, there you go.

Now how about all the birds that show little to no sexual dimorphism? Plovers, herons/cranes, gulls, owls, hawks, parrots (with the eclectus being an exception, and I think the female is prettier!), thrushes, pelicans, penguins, swallows, kingfishers, nighthawks, crows, geese, vultures, woodpeckers, pidgeons… the list goes on.

Personally I think it would be interesting if there was some kind of color dimorphism with the tengu! But my nitpicky self had to post that. :P

And on a biologist sidenote… devs, please keep using taxa names for weapons, it cracks me up. Thanks!

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

(edited by Lindelle.3718)

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

I would be dissapointed if they made tenth the next race to be played in general. Give us a cool race, not some ugly one please.

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

I would be dissapointed if they made tenth the next race to be played in general. Give us a cool race, not some ugly one please.

This!

How about having the Watchknights break free from Scarlet’s control and rebel against her, becoming a free, and the next playable, race?