Would you even WANT a new class/race?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Here is a race change suggestion thread that addresses the issues of personal story and things like cultural armor or racial professions…

As you can see I’d also very much like the option of changing my race.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

Wouldn’t it be easier to solve your problem by making (ascended) armor account-bound?

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

I do not want a new profession, because it would multiply all the balancing issues that already exist.

Races…don’t really care. But it would involve a lot of development effort that might (or might not) impact more useful additions.

Posted by: TheRiverBlues.2607

TheRiverBlues.2607

Personally we have all the professions we could need, some need more expanding on than others. I wouldn’t mind a hybrid system similar to what they had back in GW1 though.

As for races, to many it is a sign that a whole new area will come with it. The only issue with new races is how Anet treats armor on certain races (Charr and Asura) and how they half-kitten they make the armor look on them.

Still it would be neat to see the Tengu or the Kodan be playable but that seems more belonging in expansion territory.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I would want to change my race as well, if i was an Asura…

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

There are many reasons for a person to choose a certain race, don’t like it, but keep on gearing the character up. When I first made my Sylvari necromancer, I thought it was very cool. She was my first character, I made her at release and it took me a month of leveling to get it to 80. During that time it became obvious to me that Sylvari look good only in leaf armor and that while it looks nice and shiny, you can grow incredibly quickly tired of it. After many total makeover kits, I gave up on the character and it has been laying around abbandoned.

By the time I realized that I could’t handle playing my walking tree anymore, it had map completion, T3 armor, Zodiac weapon skins, Ascended weapons and trinkets and a lvl 50 in the old fractals. I always kept hoping that new Sylvari themed armor would be released, but it never happened.

I would gladly pay over 3000 gems to get rid of my race and switch it to human. I do not care for the personal story, I would even replay the entire Human story arc, just to be able to get rid of my Sylvari.

I have been playing Tera the last month and I love how for a fee of 10-15 euro you can change your race if you are willing to do so.

Now, with the new wardrobe being introduced, there is an extremely easy way to give us the race change without having to deal with the personal story problems:

PLEASE: let us buy thomes of knowledge with gems so we can quickly get to lvl 80 and have a character with the race we prefer.

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

Yes and tentative yes. Paragon, Dervish, and Rit please. Balance is always gonna be an issue, but if I can manage a mesmer with the phantasms in this state I think I can manage a half-working Paragon. Definitely want more classes, or at leeeaaast more variety within a class. But I’d much rather see a Paragon or Ritualist than a more specialized Ele or something.

I’d love to play Skritt, but I don’t really need a new race when I have the beautiful Sylvari to fawn over in the character creator :3 I could make 30 of them. Don’t care about tengu, grawl, or any other non-playable race besides Skritt tbh.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

A race because this would mean we also get a new capital, more zones, more cultural weapons/armor and personal story.

A new profession too because then I can make more alts

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

I’d like new classes and races if it’s done well since over-all it means more content, another shot at falling in love with a class and oppertunities for a game to develop (such as race-change kits/personal story re-writers which some players have wanted, more cultural weapons/armor and who knows what else.)

How-ever I feel it’s a risky way to go. It will require a lot of development, balancing, (re)designing and who knows what other changes. When in return the gaming-community will be entertained for a few months at the most before we’re in the same-old situation of wanting more. Something I fear is just as easily satisfied with more Living Story, more WvW tournements and better done with a new sPvP-mode or new zones along-side with the Living Story.

Posted by: Blink.9361

Blink.9361

Definitely would not want a new race, unless they were similar to human/norn/sylvari styles. Wish they didn’t even include asura or charr. Then we might’ve gotten more focus on clipping issues and other skins that don’t look obscene bur rather tailored to your character.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Only thing I could see them adding is a Dervish style class. Not Dervish since they were Warrior’s of the gods, but a class that had a Scythe and other weapons like Greatsword, Sword, Focus, Staff, possibly a Bow and Axe. Uses prayers/vows/enchantments.

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

New class: its way too soon to introduce a new class when the existing classes are very shallow (very few viable builds, very small selection of useful skills) as they are and very imbalanced. Fix what’s broken before making new content.

New race: personally I don’t see the point. We got 5 races already. New races simply slow down the designing of armors, which already happens at a snail’s pace outside of the gemstore.

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

No I absolutely do not want a new class added. First they need to properly balance the game as it is. Once that’s done we can maybe talk about adding a new class and throwing everything out of whack again. But getting close to proper balance here is still a long ways out.

Posted by: Minami Kaori.2548

Minami Kaori.2548

Hell yes to new race.

I would definitely roll a new character, and play the hell out of it. Soak up the story of them, outfit it perfectly, choose a fitting name… It’d be so great!

Hell yes to a new profession as well.

I love figuring out professions, optimal play styles for what I like (I don’t much pay attention to what’s “meta” in the sense of “wanting to copy the best thing”) and how I like to play, new skills, new animations, wohooo!

I have a character for every race and profession.
It’d be great to have that spark in the game again

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Yes, Dwarves!!!

More professions and profession subclasses as well!!!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Professions from GW1 would be nice, but not new race… Sylvari shouldn’t even be made (I hope they will be deleted).

Postings like these make me cringe and think rather, that someones brain got deleted here…
Have you ever thought about for a single second first, how all of the people would feel, that love the race, if Anet would do the brain afk suggestion you made here???

Can you even imagine at all, what a huge outcry would happen with a massive ****storm to follow right after here i nthe forums?

Seriously, I also don’t like certain races and specific ones I think should have never been existing, like thon nonsensical Kodan or those silly ugly boring Quaggan.
But my dislikings for races in a game would never go so far, that I’d suggest such a crap, that a playable race should get simply “deleted” out of whichever a reason that your brain came up with after a deletion of some very important cells there :P
If you don’t like Sylvari, just don’t play them. Problem solved.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Orpheal.8263

Dwaves NO, will never happen, we might perhaps see them later, once it goes against Primordus as some kind of NPC folks coming back, but 100% sure never as playable race and I’d personally be also agaisnt them becoming ever playable, they don’t fit into GW2. Out of the same reason ,why we have not the quattro-gazillion versions of elfes in GW2, like in every other 0815-MMORPG that is based on WoW or LotRO/D&D lore style of races.

ANet does best with it, if they add new playable races, that they all should be unique.
They can be inspired maybe on something, but their looks, their lore, their way of speech ect. must be unique. So more unique playable races GW2 has, so better for the game.

Same as like Skritt and any other of the personal story related inferior races will never become playable. How oftenly do we still have to bash this dead horse until all grasp this finally??? as much as I like Skritt too, but its just impossible for them.
Just their lore makes it not possible to play eben one alone, as alone are skritt dumb as a bean, as they become only more intelligent in large groups.
However, to give us maybe a little compensation for that, i would find it awesoem, if we could get one day a kind of Lore Fractal, where we would be able to play as Skritt with skritt special skills ^^ That would be funny.

Also that persistent Dervish/Paragon QQ gets annoying in my opinion. That are all old cponcepts, that will never ever come back. Its just a waste of time to keep on suggesting it, as basocally more than 2/3rd of their mechanics have been recycled into the current existing playable classes.

Its far more realistic that we might see a 3rd soldier class gettign introduced, which might bring somethign back from the lat 3rd perhaps, or to see the existing classes get via Sub Classes improved with the missing features either in form of Traits, new Skills or new Weapons.

There’s no need for Scythes, the game has already scythe skinns for the 1000th time of mention it. Its alot more realistic that we might see one day Polearm Weapons gettign introduced, as they were already once planned, but got removed. under somethign like polearm Weapons its realisic for it, that a Scythe Reskin could be under them then, so that the classes that could wield polearm weapons could basically have a weapon that looks like a scthe for mele combot. otherwise, you have the necromancer, which has its staff-scythe reskin and gets in deathshroud a shadow scythe

Paragons will never ever come back, because everythign they had, got already recycledcinto the Warrior and Guardian. Theres even a frickign Guardian Achievement under PvP, thats called Paragon.
So please, for the sake of sanity, get this finally out of your heads.
I know its frustrating and disappointing to see not one #s beloved class of an older game to see back in a sequel – I had also in GW1 besides of my Ranger a Ritualist, that was like my second main Character to me and if it would go after me, we could instantly delete all Engineers and replace them with Ritualists…

However, I also try to see the good thigns in these changes. Due to GW2 having engineers, an other gameplay has fount into the game, that I also like that is under the Engineer and that is the gameplay of an Alchemist (sadly yet too less of it xD), which we would have for sure never seen in GW2, if Anet would have copied just the Ritualist into GW2, which was already in GW1 way too much of a Necromancer Clone just with stationary minions…

Viewing at all pros and cons today, I must say it would be a much better solution, to give GW2 Ritualists back as a kind of Necromancer-Sub Class, due to the strong similarities. Its no great deal between summoning undead zombies and summoning ghosts. The necromancer in GW2 even uses now Spectral Magic, what is basically making usage of Spirit Energy and kind of related to Soul Reaping/Death Magic.
They are cureently only missing of the skilsl to summon ghosts as minions that feel more similar to that of the ritu and what ANet would need to give Necromancers under a Ritualist-Sub Class are Urn Skills as environmental skilsl that have AoE effects, while you hold them and stationary effects, when you place the urn somewhere, that could create spirits from the dead whose ashes are in the urn…

I’d rather love to see that as improvement for the necromancer under Sub Classes, than to see a halfhearted return of a Ritualist as a seperate own class, that would have a gameplay, that feels like a shade of itself from old days and more of a clone of the engineer just with a different theme.

About race change I want to say only, thats a totally different topic, that is derailing of this threads topic, which is clearly about new playable races/classes and not race change.

Posted by: Moshari.8570

Moshari.8570

Yes, I want to play a tengu with bright red or blue plumage and would love a new class….but would want a new class only after they finish balancing the rest of the classes.

Swagger.1459

Dwarves will make a big comeback Orpheal!!!

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

One has to wonder how you’d reproduce with petrified genitals.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I am absolutely looking forward to a new race. I’ve even got 2 open character slots waiting. A new race offers a lot of exciting stuff to me even aside from just the sheer fact that you’d get a different race with a distinct look and new customization options. Stuff like new racial weapons and cultural armor, a new racial city and starter zones, more lore, ect.

A new class…. I dunno. I’m hoping for new classes eventually for sure, but right now it feels like they should focus on balancing and adding new stuff to the existing classes over adding a new ones. New traits (which we’re finally starting to get into), new utilities, new weapon types (preferably brand new weapons like spears or flails or something and not just giving Swords or Axes to another race, but I’d settle for either)… I feel like the current classes have plenty of room to grow before a new class is needed. Not to necessarily imply that they couldn’t add new stuff to existing classes AND add a new one at the same time, but it seems more likely that they’d focus on one or the other just given how the updates have been so far. Unless, of course, they have a second team working on mind blowing stuff in the background (which they might, but who knows).

Swagger.1459

All I can say is that the process involves a pick and hammer. I’ll refrain from explaining the rest because I don’t think this squeamish community could handle it.

Posted by: Name.9625

Name.9625

No. I prefer them to work on the current existing races and classes. Please don´t add another race, that´ll just be abandoned after it´s launch, just like the Charr.
And please don´t bring more classes, while so many of the existing ones are still broken.

Orpheal.8263

rofl, that made my night

Swagger.1459

rofl, that made my night

How dare you laugh! If it wasn’t for the dwarves you would be living in a world called primordia!

Posted by: Craywulf.5793

Craywulf.5793

So after some brainstorming I thought of these:

Engineer ~ hammer/wrench
Necromancer ~ scythe
Thief ~ brass knuckles
Elementalist ~ totems/essences
Warrior ~ two handed axe
Ranger ~ wildlife/animal calls
Mesmer ~ whip
Guardian ~ dual wield shields

Now as far as new races, that is two thumbs up from me!

Tengu is the obvious choice and the one I personally would most want to see. I’ve always had an affinity to avian creatures. Any sort of fish people would also be neat, I see them appearing during our quest after he under sea dragon. Fish people would mean I could live my dream of being a merman/quagan.

-Vys

Logically the Tengu are most likely to be the next playable race based on the area that is marked Dominion of Winds.

As for weapon ideas, I believe the best course of action for ArenaNet is add existing weapons to the current professions. This would be easier to balance and freshen up the existing professions. They could Each profession could stand to gain one new weapon;

Existing weapons with current Professions:
Warrior – offhand dagger
Guardian – two-handed shield
Ranger – two-handed staff
Thief – two-handed rifle
Engineer – two-handed hammer
Elementalist – offhand warhorn
Necromancer – mainhand sword
Mesmer – mainhand warhorn

At the cost of balance issues they could also offer new weapons to current Professions:
two-handed scythes for Necromancers
two-handed nuncuks for Thieves
two-handed polearm for Guardians
offhand whips for Engineer
two-handed flute for Mesmer
two-handed axe for Warrior
two-handed Bo staff for Rangers
two-handed book of spells for Elementalist

Personally I think some professions more than others could stand to have their own unique weapon like Mesmers with two-handed flute or Thief with nunchucks. The rest could get away with just switching around existing weapons to current professions.

Orpheal.8263

Some guys here have really weird imaginations about it, which weapons fit to classes, even to the point that things get suggested, that even absolutely don’t exist at all

Seriously… 2 handed shields ..roflmao … /facepalm.

If anet would go so far for example to add with the next patch to every class a new already existing weapon, (I know, Anet won’t, but however) then the list should clearly look like this, as it would make far more sense:

Warrior: Torch
Guardian: Longbow
Ranger: Staff
Engineer: Hammer
Thief: Longbow
Necromancer: Greatsword
Elementalist: Torch
Mesmer: Warhorn

If we would follow now the example of adding to each class 1 new Weapon, then the list would look like this:

Warrior: Greataxe
Guardian: Spear (renaming the Underwater Spear to Harpoon and Harpoon Gun to Bolt Gun)
Ranger: Whip
Engineer: Crossbow
Thief: Quarterstaff
Necromancer: Chain Sickle
Elementalist: Gauntlets
Mesmer: Fans