Would you exclude someone from a group...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

If they where a specific profession? Just for anything?

(Looking to see if the CoF1 mentality is present everywhere or not.)

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

No, not for their profession. The only reason I’d ever refuse to play with someone is their attitude.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I agree with darkace. Not hard to keep a “friend” list after grouping. Its nice that the contacts list is by account name.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

Nope. Not unless I was trying to be as efficient in farming as possible CoF P1. But I hardly ever do that. It’s more about player skill.

That is not to say that it isn’t noticeable when a certain class lacks decent DPS to keep up with others. But I wouldn’t kick the player out just for that. I would just hope that ANet eventually brings them up.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

No, not for their profession. The only reason I’d ever refuse to play with someone is their attitude.

Like if they were the type what excluded people for their profession. Nope, I’ve left groups before because people kicked someone because they weren’t “l337” enough. The game is about having fun together, and if you (every who “you” happens ta be) can’t play well with others then I don’t want to play with you – end of story.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: disneyrich.3901

disneyrich.3901

I agree with Darkace. A persons attitude is such a defining factor in who they are. I’ll take nice people who wants to do their best, then excluding someone based on a in game profession. In our guild we don’t care what job you bring . We have done runs of AC, ARAH and COF with different professions and we do well, have fun and succeed in the runs.

In fact , the other night had 2 new people to COF 1 and 2 and we did well and they had fun and appreciated the help we gave them by explaining what to do. ( Although explaining is not as good as experiencing it and then going “ahhh now I get what you mean” )

(edited by disneyrich.3901)

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

In some cases, eg if I’m running a dungeon on my necro and another necro joins, I will switch to another one of my toons, whereas I wouldn’t do that if I’m running on my warrior and another warrior joining group.that’s the closest I get to class elitism I think.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Yes, but is very situational.

1) Ranger – period. Broken/useless profession, this is not news. Players need to be discouraged from playing this.
2) A second Necro/Engineer. One of these hogs the condition limit themselves, having another is a big drain. I will, however, ask the Necro if they are a power build before removal.

I often kick others for weapon choice as some are objectively bad, but thats another story.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

No. We just vote a kick if a person is bad and is not willing to learn.

I usually advertise on gw2lfg – “Any class/build/gear”

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Nope, it takes a whole lot more to make me exclude someone than a profession, or race, or pretty much anything. You have to be really nasty or argumentative for me to not run a dungeon with you.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I will, however, ask the Necro if they are a power build before removal.

Do so for engies as well. They also have power builds.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

The difference is anything other than grenadier for an Engie is bad, so we’d be better off with most others anyway.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

1) Ranger – period. Broken/useless profession, this is not news. Players need to be discouraged from playing this.
2) A second Necro/Engineer. One of these hogs the condition limit themselves, having another is a big drain. I will, however, ask the Necro if they are a power build before removal.

I often kick others for weapon choice as some are objectively bad, but thats another story.

ya I just use berserker for my engineer. And for necro I use a hybrid build so I won’t hog too much condition.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Indeed. Bomb engineer can actually bring a lot of dps and healing to a team.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Yes…but only for the extreme high end content. For the rest of the game no, not at all.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I don’t exclude people for their class. Due to all the different things a class can do, and different ways the class can do it, pretty much any class can work in any situation. It is all about competence.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Kopipoki.3542

Kopipoki.3542

Just Fractals if they don’t have adequate AR. Otherwise I don’t care. But if someone turns out to be terribad, I’ll try to avoid them in the future.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I never have. I’ve really enjoyed some of the more interestingly composed groups I’ve been in.
I once did all 3 AC paths with a group of all Elementalists and it was the most fun I have ever had, we all had different play styles and setups and it just worked really really well.

The only times I have trouble with groups is when people don’t know how to play their professions, there are very few situations where specific professions are actually BAD for certain things. People need to stop being so “elitist”, especially when they’re wrong in their thoughts.

Mirta.5029

The difference is anything other than grenadier for an Engie is bad, so we’d be better off with most others anyway.

wrench DPS is better than the DPS provided by grenades.

Posted by: Martin The Brave.8731

Martin The Brave.8731

I think I would only kick a person if they are incompetent, rude or are a serious liability to my party. That isn’t to say that I would kick newcomers, Although I would first gauge their in-game merit AKA Achievement Points. And then when we enter the content I would see how they actually fair while participating in the group.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Nope. Not unless I was trying to be as efficient in farming as possible CoF P1. But I hardly ever do that. It’s more about player skill.

That is not to say that it isn’t noticeable when a certain class lacks decent DPS to keep up with others. But I wouldn’t kick the player out just for that. I would just hope that ANet eventually brings them up.

Don’t hold your breath. From the last two SotG’s:

• Considering a further nerf to grenades
  • Ranger pet damage to be nerfed

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

I think I would only kick a person if they are incompetent, rude or are a serious liability to my party. That isn’t to say that I would kick newcomers, Although I would first gauge their in-game merit AKA Achievement Points. And then when we enter the content I would see how they actually fair while participating in the group.

Judging by achievement points is stupid. If they started early they could have done dailies to bump their points up. A bad player is a bad player regardless of their AP.

I never kick anybody or exclude anybody unless they suck bad.

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

Yep. Not grouping with Flissy

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

no rangers in my coe2/3 runs. reason is their pets screw up alphas AI and get pt wiped, or i have to start dodging which i dnt like on alpha.

Mirta.5029

no rangers in my coe2/3 runs. reason is their pets screw up alphas AI and get pt wiped, or i have to start dodging which i dnt like on alpha.

a very familiar feeling
I don’t exclude people no matter what, but rangers do complicate everything a lot. Not the rangers fault though.

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

nope. classes can be what ever they want tho I do prefer a reasonable limit, nothing stranger then being in a group with 4 of the same class. makes me feel like the black sheep.

#ELEtism

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

If I was elitist and running a specific group based on ….

/sigh

….. not going there.

The answer is: the only reason I would exclude someone from a group is if they do NOT meet the following 3 criteria:

1) friendly
2) mature
3) helpful (which includes open to learning if needed)

I will take an “honorable” newbie, who is trying to learn the game, learn the dungeon, playing a “broken” class and is still working on gear over someone who cannot display any of the above qualities.

Our guild came to this game to get back to a community that still believed in that old-school value.

Quality gear is easy to obtain. Any fool can do that.

Quality people… priceless.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Oceangrave.9657

Oceangrave.9657

I wouldn’t exclude anybody. But sometimes i wish D/D thieves weren’t as arrogant as they are and rush in and die in 1 hit.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

This^

I don’t mind if your not very good, as long as your not a kitten…

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I would never exclude anyone but I am fast to the kick button with rangers. A bad player from any class can lay their dead while we 4 man it but a bad ranger who can not xontrol his pet will get the group wiped.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Nope. My main is a ranger which is one of the ones people often complain about so I’m in no position to do it to anyone else.

But I also really don’t believe that you need specific builds/gear to succeed at this game. Maybe if you want to do speed runs, but not just to finish a dungeon.

In fact I’m planning on doing all the storymode dungeons in order soon (I haven’t done any since) and I’m thinking of specifically inviting people who haven’t done it before/are worried they won’t be able to get a group. I’ll be in the same position and I think it might be fun to figure it out together.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Don’t be hatin on my Ranger.{:รพ I hold my own and do good damage with 9500+ crits that happens pretty regularly.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

For certain specific things, yes ofc I would. For general play, no, not at all.

I really do not see the problem with it. I think there is more of an issue with players expecting to be in highly specific, specialized teams even if they are totally unsuited to it.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

People, you’re demoralizing me from making a Ranger – she’s now level 21. :|

lol

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Abhor.5602

Abhor.5602

No. Even in CoF1 speed runs zerker rangers and thiefs are useful. But outside of that I don’t care, except I prefer only having 1 condition build in a group.

I am much more interested in how competent a player is.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People, you’re demoralizing me from making a Ranger – she’s now level 21. :|

lol

I love my ranger. Don’t let the naysayers get you down. And yes, I’ve beaten CoE on my ranger. It’s not that hard.

In most dungeons, if you’re going to use a ranger, choose two spider pets, because they’re ranged and stay alive a lot longer. And of course, learn to manage them…when to allow them to attack and when to have them on passive. And don’t forget they’re on passive when they don’t have to be.

But it’s not as bad as people are making out.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Well, if you have multiple rangers it will cause problems, but if there is only one, he can stay at max range while dpsing Alpha, and use a ranged pet. If the ranger stays at a far enough distance that his rings don’t overlap with the other players, and cause damage to them, there shouldn’t be any problems.

What’s wrong with dodging at Alpha? I love dodging there just because I can, even if while standing still I wouldn’t get damaged :P

Posted by: Magxene.2579

Magxene.2579

This might seem biased and I understand that it is, but I typically kick people from party for dungeon groups when they are using all Signets(Even with two I am iffy). Especially Rangers.. To me, all that is doing is proving how lazy of a player they are and have no interest in learning what their other skills do and those are the kind of people I don’t want to play with.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

No.. I found out there is no “Bad profession” all the warriors and guardians cant see the good sides of other professions really. They are like: “ALL OUT DAMAGE BRO!! YOLO SWAG YEAh!”

Not going to lie, i was like that once myself, until i created my necro. I saw that necro is great IF PLAYED RIGHT. The same goes with engi. i dont think you should say some profession suck before you tried it yourself

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This might seem biased and I understand that it is, but I typically kick people from party for dungeon groups when they are using all Signets(Even with two I am iffy). Especially Rangers.. To me, all that is doing is proving how lazy of a player they are and have no interest in learning what their other skills do and those are the kind of people I don’t want to play with.

See, IMO this is a perfect example of why people trying to be “elitist” is a problem and why it’s a good thing we don’t have an inspect feature.

I doubt anyone can have a comprehensive understanding of every profession – every workable build, why it works and how and what’s central to it and what can be customised.

But people are still trying to make those judgement calls and excluding people from groups basically because they don’t understand how certain builds or mechanics work.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

The only profession I feel brings nothing to the table in a group are Rangers. Most stand back, offer no support, let you soak up all the damage, and let their pets drag in mobs you’re not ready for yet. Most of their skills are single-target, so they suck at crowd control as well.

All that said, I wouldn’t exclude one. But I draw the line at one per party.

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

See, IMO this is a perfect example of why people trying to be “elitist” is a problem and why it’s a good thing we don’t have an inspect feature.

I doubt anyone can have a comprehensive understanding of every profession – every workable build, why it works and how and what’s central to it and what can be customised.

But people are still trying to make those judgement calls and excluding people from groups basically because they don’t understand how certain builds or mechanics work.

People running highly focused groups to achieve specific goals are aware of the current meta builds to achieve said goals.

Sure meta changes, but the dungeon speed groups or the top ranked tourney teams are the ones driving those meta changes for the main part as they seek out the optimal builds and group synergies.

If I went out and built a high survive based warrior for wvw lol zerging, I am not going to sit there thinking “zomg they are excluding me the elitists jerks” when a dungeon speed run group says thanks but no thanks to me for not having enough dps to suit their needs. Frankly I’d be a bit worried if a team set up to clear a dungeon as fast as possible wanted me in the group with that build.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Yes, definitely.

I’d also exclude someone from a group if they weren’t up to par in terms of player skill too.

Its nice to be around friendly players and all, but being friendly doesn’t get anything done.

There are enough mature and friendly players around, you don’t need all of them, so just pick and choose those who fit the criteria.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

The only profession that is iffy to me is Necros, the rest I can usually live with in my party. But if we invite a person to a group and they make the group composition worse then we will not hesitate to kick them (i.e. another squishy when we already have like 3).

I will also kick people based on gear. Im not talking about specific exotic gear, I mean people wearing green/yellow gear. I have been playing this game long enough to notice when someone is not wearing exotic gear and its been annoying in Arah lately with people coming in with green/yellow gear. If you are not fully geared in at least exotics for Arah, you need to reconsider doing Arah. That dungeon really does require exotic gear unless you feel like being a hindrance to your group.

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

I never kick anyone based on their profession, build or gear. But i regret when a AC run lasts 2 hours instead of 30 mins.
If i don’t have patience for bad runs i simply don’t run dungeons. Otherwise i am more than happy to help people learn instances if theyre new to it, or even carry people through it to show them that dungeons aren’t as bad as they seem to be. I’ll even explain to them why they should skip 90% of dungeon content, instead of doing the intuitive thing in a action game – killing everything because combat is fun.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I wouldn’t exclude anybody. But sometimes i wish D/D thieves weren’t as arrogant as they are and rush in and die in 1 hit.

That’s because well played D/D Thieves are combat monsters – but being a well played Thief means not getting hit.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Well, if you have multiple rangers it will cause problems, but if there is only one, he can stay at max range while dpsing Alpha, and use a ranged pet. If the ranger stays at a far enough distance that his rings don’t overlap with the other players, and cause damage to them, there shouldn’t be any problems.

What’s wrong with dodging at Alpha? I love dodging there just because I can, even if while standing still I wouldn’t get damaged :P

Huh, what? I’ve just done that dungeon (story and all three paths) with my guild recently, and we always had to dodge. Still, Subject Alpha isn’t that ha|rd on|ce (seriously; why did that get censored… o.o) you notice that you often can just walk out of the circles and the only ones you really have to dodge (unless you want to eat some high damage) are the fire circles (which also happen to be the smallest ones… how convenient). Once you know that, it’s perfectly doable.
Doing Alpha without dodging (while getting no damage) sounds like some exploit to me. And exploits are neither fun nor allowed haha.

And to be more on topic: I wouldn’t ever exclude anyone from a run… unless that person really has no clue about his/her class, isn’t willing to improve, is arrogant enough to think he/she’s in fact the best player in the group, or behaves like an ******* otherwise.

(edited by Saturn.6591)

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

Yep. Not grouping with Flissy

Ok, this made me laugh…

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

With this game I’ve never felt that taking any certain class or not taking them would be at a disadvantage. Sure some classes might make certain bosses or paths easier but they are not impossible usually.

I have a pretty high tolerance for the crap people can pull but only if they start becoming extremely negative towards the rest of the party is it actually an issue imo. Bad players or whatever isn’t really an issue to me. I’ve played a lot of dungeons where people die almost every pull but are enjoying themselves (it wasn’t really hurting our party just their repair bill) so I never said anything lol.

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

Any ranger, any thief, flamethrower engineer, full turret engineer, second condition necro, minion necro, mantra mesmer, five-signet warrior, glasscannon guardian, people that never talks/listens, people that blindly follows other’s build, people with less than 1000 achievement points, people who pretends to be a pro, people with 100g tag on in dungeon, and people who is on my blocklist.

Basically, if you have good attitude and don’t come in on selfish profession/build, I will be glad running with you. This only applies when I am aiming for “experienced speed-run” and fotm. Otherwise I am fine with all.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.