Would you like to see more "realistic" sets?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tryhard Pants.9745

Tryhard Pants.9745

I think if Anet designed armor sets in a more more grounded fashion then people would appreciate them more.

I rarely see anyone wearing bladed or leystone armor, except for the light versions. Carapace armor still seems like a favourite, especially the heavy set.

I think Anet went a bit too far out of their way to make the HoT sets stand out. You can’t really combine them very well with other pieces and the full sets feel out of place and impractical.

As for weapons, I rarely see anyone using machined weapons. Sure, the “engineer” style stuff was never that popular in GW2 but man, it just feels like a waste.
Same with chak weapons. I mean, even for my chak themed sylvari I prefer other weapon skins because they just don’t look like actual weapons.
But overall weapons aren’t too much of an issue because we have sets like Gallant, Cavalier or Balthasar that look realistic.

TL;DR: I think Anet should return to the GW1/early GW2 roots of realism. More spikes doesn’t make it automatically better looking! And save those glowing crystals for legendary stuff because otherwise you’re devaluing legendary armor when it comes to looks.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

people can use the armors as individual pieces when mixing and matching instead of whole sets at once, if they’re willing to search for pieces that fit together.. While the whole set at once is a bit much, selected pieces can make a mix and match set stand out. For example, my guardian has the bladed shoulders and gloves and my Ele has the chestpiece. If there’s a wardrobe to choose from you may not see individual pieces often in game. That doesn’t mean they aren’t being used.

Edit: just checked. As an example there are ~74 chestpieces of each weight to choose from. The new armors are going to be one of those 74 pieces that people choose. Assuming people like them as well as the others and choose them as often, at best you’ll see a bladed or a leystone only once every 74 level 80 players that have HoT and got the armor.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I agree, sets with stats like: “Buffy Master + 8” or “Couch Potato + 6” Each allowing you to face a variety of problems, like what to do with Spike.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spike

It might seem like junk, but in the show, he saved everyone…

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

• Weapons: A lot of the ones that came via HoT don’t look good. The ones that look good are mostly in the BS chests.
  • Armor: most sets tend to be extremely ornate, even gaudy. Sometimes ornate can be tasteful, but the sets with stuff sticking out all over the place look terrible.
  • Outfits: with some exceptions, way too many silly-looking protuberances.

Yes, I’d like to see more stuff that a real person would wear or wield, rather than the current styles, which no one in their right mind would fight in if their life were on the line.

Posted by: VanHalenRules.5243

VanHalenRules.5243

Would very much like to have better looking armor skins in general, and especially those horrible outfits that you can’t even mix and match to make them look somewhat decent. I’m sure I’m not the only one that has consistently wasted hundreds of transmutation charges trying to find decent combinations of skins. But maybe that’s what the developers want. :p

Altered Tuner, Hockey Defender (CD server)

Posted by: Fenryr.1427

Fenryr.1427

yes. i would love to see less plastic weeb centered armor and shop items in game.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

There’s plenty of utilitarian weapon and armor skins in the game already, if that’s what you want. Nobody uses them because they’re plain and boring, but they’re there.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Several different opinions in this thread.

Mine: I can agree, OP, but mainly on the prospects of the armor sets lacking good synergy to mix-and-match. Do I want more realism? It couldn’t hurt. Less signature sets? Not necessarily.

Those 2 new pieces (for shoulder and gloves in the gem shop, can’t remember the name atm) seem pretty cool and somewhat flashy but I like the fact they had a clear vision in what they wanted the piece to be/do rather than feeling the need to create a whole set for those 2 pieces to include. They could release a new “tattooed torso” piece with 2-3 tattoo variants that cover chest/back/shoulders and I think that’d be amazing…but then you have the excess brigade who’d want an entire 6-piece set of tattooed body armor which is what slows down the introduction of new skins.

As for outfits, I enjoy them and like that new Ice encased outfit because it kind of fits one of my characters’ theme and looks pretty sleek and form-fitting. We need more outfits like some of the regular clothes you see NPCs wearing. It’s great having spare clothes to swap into on occasions (like if you’re going to a party or relaxing near the water or just doing chores) and makes your characters feel less like a “toon” and more like a person of Tyria.

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

I wouldn’t mind a few more “grounded” designs. The ornate sets like legendary, leyline and such aren’t quite to my tastes, but even if they were, I can’t mix and match them easily… they may as well be outfits.

I think plain (or simple) clothing and armour would be appreciated.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree with the sentiment behind the OP’s request, but not any of the specifics: I mostly hated GW1 armor because it was either too plain or too ornate; there was anything in between. The cheap assassin armor looks like PJs; the expensive has all the blades and spikes that the OP (and I) dislike.

I also don’t think it’s a question of “realistic” versus not; “realistic” includes a lot of uglier designs.

However, I think the root problem is that there are just too many possible designs and not enough designers in the universe to come close to covering all of my design preferences, let alone a decent cross section of the entire community.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I’m personally very picky about my armour combos., which is why I rarely change my characters look aside from different helms.
I don’t like to use full sets of things (I find that boring). I don’t like skirts at all, I’ve had to grin and bare them on my light armor users, using mainly just Illustrius, Human tier 3 or Primitive (necro only). Luckily, my other characters have no full skirting or very little (Norn heavy tier 3 legs/Whisper’s Secret. Sneak thief, Carapace legs, Charr Trapper cultural chest, these pieces are my faves because they have some nice details but not overly extravagant and the medium legs have no skirting at all!)
I like to include detailed shoulders/gauntlets because some combos needs a bit of oomph.

I’d love for some Town Clothes looking sets, which are just basic tops/trousers/skirts (Norn female town clothes had trousers though, which suited me fine since Norns are my favourite)

Ornate looking sets are ok but if that ornate set has a massive skirt on it, it detracts the appeal for me. I’d love some trousers for light armour that doesn’t have skirting!

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

I am all for a more realistic and minimalistic approach to armor design.

Posted by: Kantid.3571

Kantid.3571

count me in.
i wish there will be witcher-style heavy armor

and i beg you – no more skulls and heads on armor.. sigh

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Yes, I would like to see more normal clothing/armor. I’m not a fan of spikes and pompous armor at all. I previewed all outfits I could find, and there is nothing I would put on my characters, except maybe once for fun.

But maybe I’m just weird, I also wouldn’t wear helmets that hide my characters’ faces. I didn’t spend time creating them to just cover them up. Same goes with bodies, you can choose to play a muscled, curved or thin character, or add tattoos. Full body armor hides all that.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I would love to see more armor with a more sleek, minimalist, outline but with attention to detail within that simpler silhouette to give its identity.

The first two tiers of the medium wvw armor, (triumphant hero I think its called?) are good examples IMO. Sleek, details within the armor pieces that show up when dyed appropriately, but avoiding massive spikes and the like.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I think we should start by asking for armor skina in general and from there suggest what thses skin could look like….

Posted by: Penguin.1345

Penguin.1345

Some high germanic gothic armor would suit the game nicely, perhaps not as individual pieces but as an outfit. This is what i thought when i heard outfits were one piece for the whole body.

Attachments:

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

the helm is so godkitten ugly doe ;-;

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Even really gaudy historical armor would be a refreshing change from a lot of the stuff we have to choose from:

http://imgur.com/a/ztu8y

Attachments:

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

Personally, I would like to see more “lighter” styles of heavy armour, non-trenchcoats for med armour and…

… I’m actually happy with light armour!

My ideal would be to scrap the whole system and just jumble all the skins together, but that would probably be too much to hope for!

Djinn.9245

Personally, I would like to see more “lighter” styles of heavy armour, non-trenchcoats for med armour and…

My ideal would be to scrap the whole system and just jumble all the skins together, but that would probably be too much to hope for!

Yes, considering that outfits mean that you can’t tell a character’s armor class anyway, they really should allow mix-and-match between the weights. But I do think that would be too difficult for Anet to want to do.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I don’t expect “realism” per se, but I would like some more modesty in some of the designs that are released. It seems like what we get in outfits, weapons, and/or pieces are over-designed and chunky, rather than intricate and sleek.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Rauderi.8706

Yes, considering that outfits mean that you can’t tell a character’s armor class anyway, they really should allow mix-and-match between the weights. But I do think that would be too difficult for Anet to want to do.

It comes down to a technical limitation in how the different armor weight rigs were done. (Definitely short-sighted design choice…) That makes the seams different between the different weights, so it would take a ton of rework to get them all to fit together. We’re not likely to see mixed armor weights, ever.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

My main, a guardian, has been wearing scaled armor with the shoulders hidden for quite a while now. I just get tired of overly-decorative armor. So I toss my vote in for simpler designs!

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I agree. I’m getting tired of the designs that seem to be aimed at pre teens. this is still my favorite axe skin.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Djinn.9245

I don’t expect “realism” per se, but I would like some more modesty in some of the designs that are released. It seems like what we get in outfits, weapons, and/or pieces are over-designed and chunky, rather than intricate and sleek.

I think the idea of this thread is to have more choice. We have plenty of over-the-top armor and outfits, and certainly some of the blue / green level stuff is more “plain” but the plain stuff isn’t always very realistic. So some realistic choices would be nice whether they are plate mail, leather, robes, etc.

Djinn.9245

It comes down to a technical limitation in how the different armor weight rigs were done. (Definitely short-sighted design choice…) That makes the seams different between the different weights, so it would take a ton of rework to get them all to fit together. We’re not likely to see mixed armor weights, ever.

Yea, without getting into that level of detail that’s what I meant that it would be too difficult.

Rauderi.8706

I think the idea of this thread is to have more choice. We have plenty of over-the-top armor and outfits, and certainly some of the blue / green level stuff is more “plain” but the plain stuff isn’t always very realistic. So some realistic choices would be nice whether they are plate mail, leather, robes, etc.

I’m not like the anti-Outfit people who say “NEVER DO THIS AGAIN REEEE”. :P

I’d like more tasteful options, but the tacky ones can join in too. Some people like tacky. We’re just inundated with tacky. And those “unique” pieces are harder to fit into a cohesive look.
Realistic choices would probably join the ‘tasteful’ cluster and serve as a good base for more intricate design.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

how about we start getting more sets to begin with…

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

We definitely need some more armour and weapons that take inspiration from historical designs.
e.g. German gothic armour, with lots of fluting and the typical Sallet helmet (Penguin posted pictures before); Italian / Milanese style plate armour, which is more plain, with flat surfaces and often asymmetrical shoulders and vambraces/gauntlets. There is no kettle helmet in game yet. A coat of plates could even be made into a medium set. We have no jack chains as arm protection for medium classes. 16th century armour, especially those commissioned for lords in England had been etched and blued a lot, which could be transcribed into runes or magi-tech symbols on the armour.
The lack of normal looking trousers for light and medium classes is obvious, especially in conjunction with chest pieces that are either trench coats of stuff “with skirts” or other weird pieces of fabric around the hips.

IIRC, there are no kopesh swords in the game, no leaf shaped gladius, no sax, Dacian falx, hardly any swords that suit the early middle ages, like a migration era sword (Viking sword). We have no small sword, no classical side sword. I could list a handful of very unique other swords as well and I have not even touched other kinds of weapons.

We have too many weapons that look like painted paddles and too few that could actually be a useful weapon. Getting a few of the later ones would be great.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s hard to imagine that they aren’t churning as many sets as they can already.

However, it doesn’t matter; no matter how many sets they produce, they’ll never come close to pleasing all of us — our tastes are just too diverse.

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I too like the more “simple” armors. Clean lines. Not as many protrusions. I do like the Skull shoulders for my warrior…but I do agree…clean and simple armors…for all weights would be a great addition.

I’d just like to see some of the GW1 armors make it into GW2…maybe a bit upated graphics-wise…but little change to design. Perhaps is we do go to Vabbi (then maybe Elona) we could see a Sunspear set (Elite would be ok too…but I like the set without the horns for me personally). And please…an Armor SET…NOT an OUTFIT…lots of us like to mix-n-match…:)

Attachments:

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

It’s hard to imagine that they aren’t churning as many sets as they can already.

However, it doesn’t matter; no matter how many sets they produce, they’ll never come close to pleasing all of us — our tastes are just too diverse.

Call me a sceptic with some (hobby level) experience in 3d stuff… and weeeeeell… nope, i highly doubt its even close to what they could be capable of producing IF they wanted to of course … alone the “takes 9 months per set” line is certainly fishy and if you take in consideration the literal flood of outfits after HoT where most of them could easily fit a weight class and IF made with some consideration of cut off seams like skins they would have easily made atleast 5 times as many sets as we got with HoT itself but i digress. As for pleasing all of us? Yea aint gonna happen like ever, tastes are fortunally different else it would be boring. With a skinpack or packs tho.. you can just pick parts you like and mix em for a “realistic” look or the total opposide if thats your thing or something in the middle.. heck im not your mom. We can only hope that this time they actually could be bothered to make more sets with creative overall appearances and individual pieces for the upcoming expansion so that everybody (that partakes in the fashion wars) gets something out of it…thats as much as i can say to this.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Call me a sceptic with some (hobby level) experience in 3d stuff… and weeeeeell… nope, i highly doubt its even close to what they could be capable of producing IF they wanted to of course … alone the “takes 9 months per set” line is certainly fishy and if you take in consideration the literal flood of outfits after HoT where most of them could easily fit a weight class and IF made with some consideration of cut off seams like skins they would have easily made atleast 5 times as many sets as we got with HoT itself but i digress. As for pleasing all of us? Yea aint gonna happen like ever, tastes are fortunally different else it would be boring. With a skinpack or packs tho.. you can just pick parts you like and mix em for a “realistic” look or the total opposide if thats your thing or something in the middle.. heck im not your mom. We can only hope that this time they actually could be bothered to make more sets with creative overall appearances and individual pieces for the upcoming expansion so that everybody (that partakes in the fashion wars) gets something out of it…thats as much as i can say to this.

If they aren’t releasing as many outfits + armor sets + weapon skins + gem store fluff as fast as they can, then what do you think they are doing with their time? Don’t you think that they would far prefer to give us more incentives to play, more reasons to buy gems with cash?

The alternatives are that they aren’t good at prioritizing or that they are bad at implementing new skins from designs. If either are true, then we still won’t be seeing more.

Maybe I’m more patient with all of this because I generally dislike more than 3/4 of the skins in any game I’ve ever played. It’s very difficult to strike a balance between shiny and blindingly bright, between ornamentation and overkill, between hard-core and hard-to-like. Female human armor in my opinion is usually too nekkid, too frilly, or too dull; there’s maybe 2-3 torso pieces in this game that I can live with.

In other words, maybe my expectations are low to start with, so I’m happy to get anything at all.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Yes they sets made aren’t very realistic.. they’re completely unrealistic. As a hema sportsman im often bothered by how greatswords look like, or are handled.

But do i want them to be realistic? Maybe a bit more than they are, but it’s supposed to a graphically over the top fantasy game, so I’ll manage

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I agree with the sentiment behind the OP’s request, but not any of the specifics: I mostly hated GW1 armor because it was either too plain or too ornate; there was anything in between. The cheap assassin armor looks like PJs; the expensive has all the blades and spikes that the OP (and I) dislike.

I also don’t think it’s a question of “realistic” versus not; “realistic” includes a lot of uglier designs.

However, I think the root problem is that there are just too many possible designs and not enough designers in the universe to come close to covering all of my design preferences, let alone a decent cross section of the entire community.

From a practical standpoint realistic also means plain. Ain’t nobody going to wear ornate armor into actual combat on purpose. Any that you see IRL are either for ceremonial purposes only or worn by people who stay faaaaar away from any actual fighting.

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

There is a problem with current aesthetics of armor and weapons in games from a general standpoint. They’re too bulky and lack an elegance to them. This is why transmute systems are necessary. GW2 does a good job not getting too crazy. There are those sets but they aren’t the only sets even as new items are integrated they don’t dominate the gear. Take the seraph stuff from LD, the shield skin is reasonable where the staff is quite bulky. Some people like the staff as is and they run around with it. As long as new gear isn’t just one or the other people will get a variety of skins.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

-snip-

I rarely see anyone wearing bladed or leystone armor, except for the light versions.

-snip-

TL;DR: I think Anet should return to the GW1/early GW2 roots of realism.

I disagree with you about “returning to the roots of realism”. I like the current GW2 universe and its fantasy aesthetics. There is a variety from high fantasy like dragons, druidic elves and mages to semi-realistic medieval monarch and knights to magic-tech like holographic, ley energy and airship to dystopian society like the charr’s homelands. I would hate to see GW2 suddenly starts limiting its designers’ creativity because a section of the community dislikes the looks of the others and wants to impose their selfish vision on the rest.

GW2 has a wonderful mix and match system that makes blade and spike can look impressive if styled and dyed right.

Attachments:

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Pretty much this. At least, with luck we probably have some sweet Elonian style armours to look forward to in the coming expansion. Unlikely we’ll see anything substantial added before then. Anything less than four full sets will be a let down (and probably a ‘deal breaker’) at this point for me though.

Ornate and moderately impractical looking gear isn’t necessarily bad, imo. As long as it’s tasteful and well-designed. I love the cultural sets and would have liked them to be made available for all races. Also have a preference for those that reflect the current level of technology. Overall, Aetherblade is my favourite.

Posted by: Oriens.5630

Oriens.5630

I just returned to the game. I think in my mind what I see is a difference in taste for stylization. People I know don’t like the over the top anime swords, etc. I don’t think it’s an issue. However, I’m not a fan of that style aesthetically speaking.

So, I would like to see new sets with sleeker forms, less pizzazz sticking out all over the place, more realistic if you will.

But I would like to see them added to the game’s current content and alongside continued content created in their current styles. I’m saying add to the options, don’t subtract from the options.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I just returned to the game. I think in my mind what I see is a difference in taste for stylization. People I know don’t like the over the top anime swords, etc. I don’t think it’s an issue. However, I’m not a fan of that style aesthetically speaking.

So, I would like to see new sets with sleeker forms, less pizzazz sticking out all over the place, more realistic if you will.

But I would like to see them added to the game’s current content and alongside continued content created in their current styles. I’m saying add to the options, don’t subtract from the options.

You should check out the individual armor pieces from Living Story 3 meta achievements. They are tastefully designed.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Yeh

Ascalonian Catacombs Weapon Skins are one of the best sets ingame
Too bad i cannot use it on sooo many chars where it would fit perfectly
because at night the weapon turns 100% blue and gets particle effects
(that may definitly look nice on some looks but just destroy the realistic look possiblities)

I wish we could have AC weapons without the glow too
And like OP suggeted a few more nice but realistic weapon skins
————————————————————————————————————————————
They even designed realistic armor recently too… The Braham Outfit
But they released only the shoulder skin separately
the one piece which is the worst because it just looks good on the 1 shoulder…. other shoulder side has mega oversized wolfhead instead of a realistic cool armorpiece

Braham Outfit Gloves, Braham Outfit Boots would make epic Armorpieces that are already designed!
We dont even need 100% developed Armorsets
Just many more pieces that look good release and leave it to the players to mix and match without clipping which is barely ever a problem

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Hibiskus.8294

Hibiskus.8294

More realistic sets? yes, why not….
but: i also want more cultural armor….with a little change: since no other race can equip the cultural armor that already exist, it takes more slots in the bank….so instead of making for every pice a " you need to be this race"…you should make them like the Cook´s outfit or the Wedding Attire Outfit…so that they change their look automatic for each race…..(and i mean: we discoverd the maguuma…..and i thought: there are for sure new cultural armors there…since there will be new mats (freshwater pearl amalgamated gemstone Piece of mother of pearl…), plants and animals…so every race has enough mats to make at least 1 set for every armor category etc….but: nothing….so my biggest wish for the next expansion are more cultural armor pieces..just a sample: ..the dryad coat…i would like to mix it with the orchid leggings…but it looks (on the front) like it is isolated..and not naturally grown from the sylvari body…and since every other leggings is a little bit more down you see the cut….just the dryad leggings matches…but i dont really like the dryad leggings…and that problem i have with every race…there are (in my opinion) not enough cultural armor pices to mix and match a full cultural set…i mean you have 9 in total but since they are light, medium and heavy you can just mix and match 3 sets…(or at least make some more outfits like wedding and cook outfit…)

Posted by: dbill.7483

dbill.7483

I would like some “plain” armor sets. Call the town clothes if you like, but things like Tee Shirts and Tank Tops, simple shirts with collars (both long and short sleeves). Blue Jeans, Kahki pants, cargo short, etc.

Tootsie Popa | level 80 Guardian/Dragonhunter
[ODIN] [roam] Tarnished Coast
“The average player believes they are better than the average player”.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i actually think there are way to many plain armors, even the newer ones look really plain to me and don’t invite excitement behind it, (some look really good but Anet has a grind and craft fetish so out of reach for me)

i think some really good looking armor that is more nordic needs to be added, only norns have them as cultic armor but IMO any race should have something more in that line.

Attachments:

Posted by: keramatzmode.1906

keramatzmode.1906

I think the design dude should get a bit of pointers on how heavy armor should look like. Not all of them are fully metal, some of them also have quite a lot of leather parts too.

And helms, why can’t you make a heavy helm that only exposes the eyes? Asura T3 Heavy Armor looks so good, why don’t you make more of those?

And taking a bit of design principles off Dark Souls wouldn’t hurt.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Being overly realistic is boring in my opinion and sometimes even ugly. For example, one of the best medieval helmet (in real history) was something like a pighead bassinet but it’s so ugly that I don’t think you would find a lot of people putting that on their warrior. A bit of fantasy and fashion in their costume design can go a long way to make desirable armor sets, and in a MMO that rewards with cosmetics this is a must.

I think most people asking for realistic/utilitarian skins are confusing fantasy armor with over-designed, over-the-top armors. I really don’t want to work hard to get an armor with ridiculous spikes and light effects that makes me look like a Christmas tree, a pair of enormous shoulder pads with bull heads that droll lava, or a transformer sword taller than my character that doesn’t even look like a sword and has ton of crap on the blade that make it look like a terrible cutter.

What I would like is something similar to the “elite” armor sets of Guild Wars 1. The prestigious gear should look like a nobler, scarier, sexier or flashier version of the plain old sets, and next to the other players you would look like you’re their commander or something. For heavy armors I think they should look at FFXIV Heavenswards for inspiration; in that game/expansion the high level armor is still standard armor but it will have a cape or a robe or something else to make your character look like a high-ranked knight or a lord, and I think it looks really, really good if you’re into knightly styles of armor. For 5 years I have been using a mix-and-match of the Heritage armor with the Draconic legpieces to get that kind of looks, and getting more options would be nice.

Posted by: Itz Jay.8941

Itz Jay.8941

Being the best MMO I have ever played, sadly at the same time GW2 has without doubt the worst armour sets and the worst variety of armour sets in any game I have played.

Anet really need to take a page or two from elder scrolls and some of the modded elder scrolls armour sets, I feel although the current sets are almost cartoon-ish.

All the light armour sets are horrible, you’re forced into bladed top for male if you want to look anything near bad – ass (seriously I can’t say that? lol), or just go human female and get as much leg out as possible to go the sexy route.

Medium armour has some decent pieces, all of them being assassins creed style and nowhere near enough of them if you ask me. Again I’m forced into the bladed top.

Heavy armour, well, just don’t go there. It looks pathetic. There are maybe one or two big combinations including gem store skins e.t.c. to even make your character look half decent.

Step up your game Anet please get the kitten crayons out and some decent bloody sheild skins that aren’t ginormous and unbearably ugly.

Heres what I want to see;

Attachments:

Posted by: Itz Jay.8941

Itz Jay.8941

Oh and pls some backpiece cloaks! Maybe a poor example but similar to the styles in destiny where you have half cloaks, full cloaks, waist cloaks e.t.c.

Posted by: Xong.2096

Xong.2096

Ever since I got my Bladed Chest medium armor for my Thief, it’s what I wore. I did switch to wearing the Magitech Medium set for a short while but I went back to wearing the Bladed Armor (medium) again. I have don’t an idea of how many people in average wears it in the game but it’s one of the best looking sets I’ve come across so far.

I don’t really mind the “unrealistic” looking sets but I have expressed how some skins do look funny, like there was one in the BLTC it was a shoulder skin, and it has candles lol That’s not to say that others can’t appreciate such a design of course. We all have our own tastes.